• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

effzee

I'll agree with the money used on Bradford could've gone to stuff like guards and RBs, but Cox has no reason to sign right now. He'll be under contract until at least the end of 2017 once you factor in the franchise tag. And I assume Peters, along with Barwin, Mathews and Sproles, will be cut next year to free up space

Guys like Peters, Ertz, Jordan M all rallied on behalf of Bradford. They wanted him to be the QB and liked him in the locker room.

I wonder how the vets react if Bradford demands and gets a trade somehow. They want to waste another year on a team possibly starting a back up QB or rookie QB?

To be fair Future, we don't have any quotes directly from Bradford himself. Any supposed animosity towRds the eagles is speculation. He could just be countering a business decision with a business decision and be realistic about his position.

effzee

While that's true, at the time they were getting a deal set with Bradford, they had no idea they'd be moving up to #2 for Wentz. This is definitely a case of having your cake and eating it too, because once they knew they were going to close on the #2 pick they had to be face-palming about the Bradford deal.

In the end, they tried to cover all their bases and were unbelievably successful in doing so, and now find themselves in a bind with too many QBs.

The big issue is that no one else who needs a QB believes Bradford is worth very much. The Jets could snag Fitz for less money. They are essentially the same QB, though Fitz is older. The 9ers already have two mediocre QBs, so why trade for a 3rd? And the Broncos 1, surely don't want to be seen as taking all the Eagles' 7-9 QB castoffs; and 2, don't have the fundage for Bradford either.

That doesn't really leave anywhere else for him to land. And while Eagles-GAF will tell us that he played great in the 2nd half, that's like saying "my career .230 hitter batted .275 over part of the season; he's gone from mediocre to amazing!" Nobody... other than Pep and YH ... believe that Bradford has it in him to continue playing really good football consistently over 16 games.

Nobody believes that.

He's going to wind up as a backup somewhere, for a lot less money.

The issue won't be that teams are not interested. You guys keep underestimating how desperate some teams are for QBs. It is one of the reasons Howie is trying to hoard as many as he can.

If Bradford was available teams would offer fair compensation. Fair being a 3rd or 2nd round pick IMO.

BUT the Eagles won't trade him UNLESS by some miracle he decides to pay his bonus back. The Eagles would lose 11M in dead money by trading him.

IT isn't happening. Not because there isn't interest, but because the Eagles would be paying him 11M to pay somewhere else.

Hindl

Guys like Peters, Ertz, Jordan M all rallied on behalf of Bradford. They wanted him to be the QB and liked him in the locker room.

I wonder how the vets react if Bradford demands and gets a trade somehow. They want to waste another year on a team possibly starting a back up QB or rookie QB?

That's the worst part about this. They all know they won't be with Bradford for long. After Lane, Ertz, and JMatt all went to his place in Oklahoma to spend time together, it's gotta sting. And I'm also worried about there being some initial animosity toward Wentz(/Goff) for this, through no fault of his own.

As for the vets, I don't think a lot of their contracts would be friendly to that. I think a lot just want money at this point in their careers, they've gotta think about their future. I'm not inside their heads so I'm probably wrong, but I think they understand this is a business

gutshot

Bradford is a total diva for demanding to be traded. Dude has been straight stealing money his entire career and now he feels he's in a position to demand a trade? That being said, I've stated from the beginning that Roseman and Co. will have completely botched this whole thing if they were to trade up for a QB after signing Bradford to the deal that they did. So Howie really only has himself to blame here.

ZsNjC5n.jpg
Can you imagine how angry birdman is about all of this? Lmao

Bradford is a total diva for demanding to be traded. Dude has been straight stealing money his entire career and now he feels he's in a position to demand a trade? That being said, I've stated from the beginning that Roseman and Co. will have completely botched this whole thing if they were to trade up for a QB after signing Bradford to the deal that they did. So Howie really only has himself to blame here.

To be fair that's not really Bradford's fault. People have been gassing him so much the gas formed itself into a man and started calling itself Pepiope.

Dude, guys like Jason Kelce rally behind anyone and everyone. Because they believe in building a team. It's part of their job. They're not going to throw a fit and not play based on the team getting a new QB. You can like Bradford and also like Wentz, for example.

To be fair Future, we don't have any quotes directly from Bradford himself. Any supposed animosity towRds the eagles is speculation. He could just be countering a business decision with a business decision and be realistic about his position.
Absolutely true, yes. (though I would say demanding to be traded automatically infers some level of animosity about the situation. How could it not?) We don't have any direct quotes from the Eagles either other than stating "Sam Bradford is our starter in 2016". Hence my response to squicken's accusation about folks reflexively siding with management over the player.

I think its fair to say that both have their own crosses to bear in the way of blame. Why make one an automatic martyr in the scenario?

Absolutely true, yes. We don't have any direct quotes from the Eagles either other than stating "Sam Bradford is our starter in 2016". Hence my response to squicken's accusation about folks reflexively siding with management over the player.

I think its fair to say that both have their own crosses to bear in the way of blame. Why make one an automatic martyr in the scenario?
Bradford is the martyr because he is getting screwed. He is in a position where no matter how he does he is going to leave and have to learn another new system next year. That will be 4 straight years that he will have to learn a new system. That would suck for anyone.

Bradford is the martyr because he is getting screwed. He is in a position where no matter how he does he is going to leave and have to learn another new system next year. That will be 4 straight years that he will have to learn a new system. That would suck for anyone.

How was that not always the case for Bradford? With his two year deal it was far more likely he'd be on another team afterward than with the Eagles all along. I thought the Eagles were doing him a solid by signing him to a prove it contract when no one else would give him a shot. If he blows the lid off things this year he'll get traded and extended by another team. The Eagles gave him a shot he otherwise never would have gotten. Again.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Y'all don't understand the life of a punter

Lions acquire some depth at punter

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have acquired down time for Sam Martin.

Detroit announced Monday it has signed free-agent punter Kyle Christy, who, barring total disaster, won't do anything more than give Martin a break during offseason drills.

So why are the Lions signing him? Because now they can use Christy to get in some live punting during special teams drills this season, and they won't have to fatigue Martin's leg to do it. Barring catastrophe, that's it.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss...me_depth_at_pu.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Then why. Did. He. Sign. The deal

Seriously how can any of you think a 2 year deal was a sign he was their long term plan? That was the biggest sign that they were drafting someone this year or next. If he didn't consider that, and was actually blindsided by this and happy with the deal, he's an even bigger idiot than I ever said he was according to his performance.

Farooq

Banned
Watching this Cowboys press conference it sounds like they're drafting Zeke if Ramsey is off the board.

Seems like it. Jerry was gushing about Ramsey. Beat writers ask some dumb fucking questions though, such a waste. Clarence Hill shouldn't be given a press badge.

I would have asked something like "In 2012, you moved up to draft Morris Claiborne who had a high risk athletic profile. Have you evaluated why you rated Claiborne very high?"

Side note, wish Zeke did the 3-cone/SS so we could have some measure to quantify his agility (whether this is a good measure for agility is another debate) After Claiborne, tape and qualitative judgments arn't enough for me.

How was that not always the case for Bradford? With his two year deal it was far more likely he'd be on another team afterward than with the Eagles all along. I thought the Eagles were doing him a solid by signing him to a prove it contract when no one else would give him a shot. If he blows the lid off things this year he'll get traded and extended by another team. The Eagles gave him a shot he otherwise never would have gotten. Again.
Bradford signed with the Eagles before free agency began he said because he wanted some stability. Every single year we see teams over pay for free agents. It is entirely possible that Sam could have gotten paid as a free agent this year but we will never know.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The most boring QB in the league right now is either a guy with magic concussion water or Sad Squidward handling stress like you'd expect
Cg2S5jJU0AAVcjW.jpg

Before knowing who Kaep was, if you had told me that was an actual NFL quarterback and not some random local musician, I'd have thought you were lying.

squicken

I feel like with this trade up, to Sam and his people its a clear sign they only want him for this season no matter what happens. I can see from his point of view if he was the under impression sure its a prove it deal but after I prove it, I'll get a chance to be THE guy.

Exactly. They have no 1/2/3 and will have 30m tied up in cap in QBs. How are they going to be a better team this year? Howie screwed up. When people take off their blinders they will actually see who is the problem here

The issue won't be that teams are not interested. You guys keep underestimating how desperate some teams are for QBs. It is one of the reasons Howie is trying to hoard as many as he can.

If Bradford was available teams would offer fair compensation. Fair being a 3rd or 2nd round pick IMO.

BUT the Eagles won't trade him UNLESS by some miracle he decides to pay his bonus back. The Eagles would lose 11M in dead money by trading him.

IT isn't happening. Not because there isn't interest, but because the Eagles would be paying him 11M to pay somewhere else.

Which teams are QB-starved that I didn't touch upon? Broncos (they don't have the cap, and aren't going to want to look like they're taking all the Eagle castoffs; it's a horrible move for Elway); Jets - they can get Fitz for less (he's basically the same QB as Bradford except older); 9ers - they have two mediocre QBs and plenty of $ tied up in them already. Now, if they could move Kaep, then maybe they'd go after Bradford.

The Rams are going to grab Goff.

So, who's left? The Bills maybe? Again, if they feel like they could move Tyrod, would they go after Bradford? Rex has been told it's "make the playoffs or you're fired" so I doubt seriously he rolls at QB with a guy who has never led his team to the post season.

Any of the teams that might even be on the fence about their QB (Vikes, Bills, ?) are going to consider Bradford 1, too expensive; and 2, too old for where they are in their own build cycle.

Bottom line is that Bradford is the definition of a stop-gap QB. He is Fitzpatrick but 5 years younger. He's being paid starter money but there are no teams that can afford him or want him to start for them (and that now includes the team that just signed him lol).

Exactly. They have no 1/2/3 and will have 30m tied up in cap in QBs. How are they going to be a better team this year? Howie screwed up. When people take off their blinders they will actually see who is the problem here

The plan isn't to be a better team this year, clearly. It's to be a better team in 2-3 years. I don't see how anyone has ever thought that this year was going to be anything but the beginning of a rebuild.

squicken

The plan isn't to be a better team this year, clearly. It's to be a better team in 2-3 years. I don't see how anyone has ever thought that this year was going to be anything but the beginning of a rebuild.

1. Sam we want to build around you as our QB of the future, but before we commit long term, we want you to prove it

2. Sorry Sam, we lied to you about the QB of the future thing and we also gutted any chance you had to prove it b/c we have no picks and no cap and a roster full of holes that will soon be filled with UDFA

All y'all keep stroking your boy, Howie Roseman. I'll stroke Sam <3

1. Sam we want to build around you as our QB of the future, but before we commit long term, we want you to prove it

2. Sorry Sam, we lied to you about the QB of the future thing and we also gutted any chance you had to prove it b/c we have no picks and no cap and a roster full of holes that will soon be filled with UDFA

All y'all keep stroking your boy, Howie Roseman. I'll stroke Sam <3

I am not stroking anyone as I think the trade is dumb. I don't think Sam Bradford is a good QB, and I don't think he can take the team anywhere. I'm for getting a new QB. I just wouldn't have traded that much for it. The team is going to be in the best shape to win something in the next 2-3 years IF they had picks to round out their needs. Now they don't. I'd rather they kept picks and taken a QB in later rounds.

All I can see is a team that gave him a boatload of money to "prove it" and he has an opportunity to prove it as a starter and make himself appealing to other teams. An opportunity I don't think he gets with anyone else, ever. He might get a backup job on other teams, or be with a dumpster fire of an organization, but he wasn't ever going to get a shot with an OK team to be a starter, especially at this pay grade.

MechDX

I don't want the cowboys to draft Zeke only because I want to believe in Alfred Morris

and our defense isn't good enough

Could also be bait trying to catch a Dolphin....

Firmly believe the Dolphins are getting hard up for a good RB. They tried to sign two different free agents, heavily pursued Miller until he left and even have already checked in on Foster.

squicken

I know Dutch and Milk are taking it hard, but justice was served. Brady tried to cheat and got caught. I'm happy for YH and bionic (RIP)

2. Sorry Sam, we lied to you about the QB of the future thing and we also gutted any chance you had to prove it b/c you're fucking average anyways and there's no chance in hell that the Eagles will ever win a Super Bowl with you at the helm. Enjoy the 11 million though. It's on us!
FTFY.

Stroke away!;) in fact, sign that man to a 10 year contract now.

Seems like it. Jerry was gushing about Ramsey. Beat writers ask some dumb fucking questions though, such a waste. Clarence Hill shouldn't be given a press badge.

I would have asked something like "In 2012, you moved up to draft Morris Claiborne who had a high risk athletic profile. Have you evaluated why you rated Claiborne very high?"

Side note, wish Zeke did the 3-cone/SS so we could have some measure to quantify his agility (whether this is a good measure for agility is another debate) After Claiborne, tape and qualitative judgments arn't enough for me.
Oh we got a good quantitative measure of Claiborne. Wonderlic score of 4.

Why arent the Browns in on Bradford? They need a franchise QB.

The Browns have so many needs it's not even funny. Most of their better players left via free agency. Putting a rookie QB back there is just guaranteeing his failure. I think they played this the right way. Go with IRG3, load up on draft picks, and make BPA decisions. They are a team that needs to look at the 3+ year window in this division, when Ben is on his last legs, Flacco is proven to be a bust and Dalton still hasn't won a playoff game and the team has given up on him. Then they can strike, having built up a team from 0 to 4 to 7 to 9 wins.

That is, if they're smart enough to let the FO run it this way, and if the FO can keep making decent picks and sell a vision to their FAs that they're not a dumpster fire any more and that there's good reason to stay in the Cleve.

Lot of "ifs" but they are clearly thinking about it the right way.

Farooq

Banned
I don't want the cowboys to draft Zeke only because I want to believe in Alfred Morris

and our defense isn't good enough

Meh, take the player that has the lowest risk to bust. But since these teams use eye tests and tape over everything else, might as well throw darts on a sheet of player names. "This kid has a good motor, flexible hips and light feet", and we wonder why a team drafts well one year and terrible the next.

Furyous

The most boring QB in the league right now is either a guy with magic concussion water or Sad Squidward handling stress like you'd expect
Cg2S5jJU0AAVcjW.jpg

Kaep is taking relaxing in the offseason literally I see. Only good things can come out of letting his hair grow like that.

Am I the only person saddened by the NFL's decision to uphold Brady's suspension? I want Thomas out there on Sunday slinging the pigskin around for the first month of the season. This lowkey fucked by fantasy football draft strategy.

Why is Sam Bradford requesting a trade allegedly? Anyone else gladly sits out and collects their $17 mill for one month of work but this guy wants to request a trade because of an incoming QB. Buh-bye Sam.

squicken

FTFY.

Stroke away!;) in fact, sign that man to a 10 year contract now.

They still lied.

And Les Bowen makes the point that someone is probably telling Condon they have interest in Bradford. If Sam skips OTAs and some of training camp, Daniel will be the starter. So why not start Daniel anyway, and trade Bradford for a pick?

Eagles' GAF should appreciate that this is win-win. The Eagles should get whatever they can for any vets on the roster since they have no chance of winning more than 6 games for the next two years

effzee

Which teams are QB-starved that I didn't touch upon? Broncos (they don't have the cap, and aren't going to want to look like they're taking all the Eagle castoffs; it's a horrible move for Elway); Jets - they can get Fitz for less (he's basically the same QB as Bradford except older); 9ers - they have two mediocre QBs and plenty of $ tied up in them already. Now, if they could move Kaep, then maybe they'd go after Bradford.

The Rams are going to grab Goff.

So, who's left? The Bills maybe? Again, if they feel like they could move Tyrod, would they go after Bradford? Rex has been told it's "make the playoffs or you're fired" so I doubt seriously he rolls at QB with a guy who has never led his team to the post season.

Any of the teams that might even be on the fence about their QB (Vikes, Bills, ?) are going to consider Bradford 1, too expensive; and 2, too old for where they are in their own build cycle.

Bottom line is that Bradford is the definition of a stop-gap QB. He is Fitzpatrick but 5 years younger. He's being paid starter money but there are no teams that can afford him or want him to start for them (and that now includes the team that just signed him lol).

I think if he was available yes Broncos, Jets, and 49ers would all look into him. And possibly some teams I am not aware who might be interested.

Top Bottom