• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

MechDX

An oral history of the star-studded 2011 NFL draft, five years later

Damn good read here.

Choice quotes:

​Rick Smith (Texans GM): There was one guy I fell in love with, who I absolutely wanted on our team, and who I’d prearranged a trade to move up [from 11] and get: Patrick Peterson. I arranged with San Francisco to move up to No. 7 if Peterson was available there.
Peterson: Honestly, I didn’t hear nothing about where I was going. Right before I walked into the green room, my dad was like, “I’m hearing Houston and Philly are trying to trade up and get you.” I don’t have any idea where my dad was getting this. But I was like, “Houston—that’s a good fit, close to home.”

Smith: I thought I had it down pretty good. I knew Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4—they went exactly as we anticipated. And I knew what No. 6 would do. The only thing I was worried about was Arizona.

Knew Rick Smith wanted Peterson. Guy has a hard on for DB's.

Mike Maccagnan (Texans director of college scouting): When quarterbacks start going off the board, they push other players down to you. Here it was Locker and Gabbert who helped us get [Wisconsin defensive end] J.J. Watt [at No. 11].

Schefter: J.J. was definitely not a sure thing. Someone told me he had a hard time beating double teams.

Kiper: The main question was, Can a guy who runs a 4.84 40 be a great pass rusher? Most pass rushers run 4.65 and below.

Cosell: He lined up inside a lot in college; he wasn’t really used as a pass rusher.

Just prove the draft is far from a sure thing,

Fantomex

650x366

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...t-season-ticket-sellout-owner-mark-davis-says

2016: The Year We Say Goodbye To The Raiders Finally. Tickets are $80 for a family of four, includes 4 hot dogs, 4 beers and 2 quarters for jail phone calls.

BigAT

You pointed to him not making the playoffs as a mark against him, in reality the reason the rams never made the playoffs is they have the worst head coach in football and they never put any talent around Sam.

I could instead focus on all of his individual achievements like

Fantomex

You pointed to him not making the playoffs as a mark against him, in reality the reason the rams never made the playoffs is they have the worst head coach in football and they never put any talent around Sam.

I usually don't take kindly to people talking bad about the Rams but since you're talking about Fisher
dVDJiez.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What does that have to do with him being a bad player? He has failed to reach any real metric of success, both as an individual and as a team.

We should probably stop evaluating players individually because football is a team game.

Would Matthew Stafford's 2011 season where he threw for 41 TDs and 5,000 yards at 23 years old count as a metric for individual success?

Tom Penny

As we get closer to the draft, seems like a few things are forming as a consensus

Cleveland will draft a WR. Analytics guys know you have to score to win, and you have to throw to score. They'll get the WRs in place before the QB, this time

Stanley and Tunsil will go top 10

Elliott will go top 10, w/ a Miami trade up a big possibility

New Orleans seems like they will draft a QB, since they apparently were in play for the #1 pick

I should have been a sports analyst instead of a compliance analyst. Not only do I know you have to score to win My theory of outscoring opponents to win has been very successful in comparison to the latter.

MechDX

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 22m22 minutes ago
Source tells @SiriusXMNFL & @NFLonFOX that @Bengals are releasing @OfficialAJHawk
Rebecca Lopez ‏@rlopezwfaa 32m32 minutes ago Dallas, TX
An arrest warrant will be issued for Manziel. His attorney says he is likely to surrender today or tomorrow and post bond.

Manziel getting arrested and AJ Hawk released

Leonard Fournette should be Ezekiel Elliot's biggest fan this year. If Zeke lights up the league, then teams will be more willing to take Fournette with a high pick.
Yup.

Zeke was smart to come out when he did. Between him, Chubb, and Fournette.. That would have been crowded as shit and pretty damn fun to watch.

This year he is the number one with the only other running back getting any other news is Davonte Booker from Utah.

MechDX

Marvel Mock Draft 2016

22. Houston Texans -- Captain Marvel (TE/WR)
The Texans can use a wide receiver or tight end to stretch the field with an offense that's been upgraded with a new quarterback and running back. Captain Marvel may be this year's sleeper pick. A versatile receiver blessed with enhanced strength, flight, durability and power absorption. She can also produce energy blasts from her from her hands giving her a tremendous advantage against press coverage. Captain Marvel has had her share of off-field issues but has shown a tremendous resiliency that will be a valuable asset with the Texans.

22-houston-texans-captain-marvel-te-wr_pg_600.jpg

Panthers got Black Panther.
Racist?

It's been 6 years. If you're still saying talent has never been behind Sam, you must also say talent isn't in Sam either. Because it's not. Because he sucks and can't win shit.

If anybody here has a kid that just won a spelling bee, congrats on raising someone currently more successful than Sam "Bad Fraud" Bradford.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sashi has said they know who they are taking on #8 and if they're not there will trade back.

"we're set, locked in, know who we'll be taking."

effzee

It's been 6 years. If you're still saying talent has never been behind Sam, you must also say talent isn't in Sam either. Because it's not. Because he sucks and can't win shit.

If anybody here has a kid that just won a spelling bee, congrats on raising someone currently more successful than Sam "Bad Fraud" Bradford.

Again what does that have to do with Sam? He signed the contract he was given.

And I'm pretty sure his accomplishments in college that led to him being the #1 overall pick far more than a spelling bee.

Then again I'm not so sure why the hate for Sam is so strong. Fans have a weird hate relationship with players and usually end up defending management. I don't get it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Sashi has said they know who they are taking on #8 and if they're not there will trade back.

But who! I really have no clue. I honestly think they want to trade to 12-15 and get a WR or LB.

Oozer3993

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not a fan of being dead set on one guy when you have so many needs. But the front office knowing what they're gonna do is a nice change of pace from "a homeless guy who might be Jesus in disguise told me to take JFF!"

Just Jedi mind trick teams into passing on Josh Doctson so we can get him at 32 and I'll be happy

I have zero clue who they are looking at..

But who! I really have no clue. I honestly think they want to trade to 12-15 and get a WR or LB.
That's what I'm thinking they do

You better not, stop Miami from doing something stupid. I believe in you Kave!
You're trading up to get Zeke and you'll like it.

When you are rebuilding a team with that many holes you take the most sure thing available not some "high risk/high reward" guy
Exactly.. The last thing Cleveland needs is to gamble on a player's knee.

Just get a body there that isn't a complete Fuckup.. Not a pro bowler even mind you.. Just someone who won't fuck up tremendously and can play at least c+ type of play.

That's the lowest bar that we need to clear because take a dart board and fill it in with every position and throw a dart and chances are.. We probably need it.

It was a moment of weakness. All Dolphins fans go through this once per off-season.

I almost found myself cheering for the Panthers at one point.
Cleveland and whoever plays Pittsburgh is the rule here.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not a fan of being dead set on one guy when you have so many needs. But the front office knowing what they're gonna do is a nice change of pace from "a homeless guy who might be Jesus in disguise told me to take JFF!"

Just Jedi mind trick teams into passing on Josh Doctson so we can get him at 32 and I'll be happy

I have zero clue who they are looking at..

That's what I'm thinking they do

You're trading up to get Zeke and you'll like it.

I feel like Jack or Buckner or one of those O-linemen which will then kill my good friend BlackGhost.

What I'm more intrigued with is seeing who this mysterious QB is that has Hue all hot and bothered.

And I guess beggars CAN be choosers.
Choosing a player with a risky knee injury that can blow up at any time is not something that's a choice.

The man can be the second coming of Derrick Thomas or Lawrence Taylor. But if he can't be healthy for three years at least. Then that's not a luxury Cleveland can afford.

I feel like Jack or Buckner or one of those O-linemen which will then kill my good friend BlackGhost.

What I'm more intrigued with is seeing who this mysterious QB is that has Hue all hot and bothered.
You may be right.. RIP BG.

And it's probably Lynch and they might trade up a spot to get him to ensure that they make him a first rounder to get that extra year in his contract.

MechDX

My guess is Paxton Lynch. If he somehow gets past the Jets in round 1 look for trade ups

effzee

Really? You must have Pep on ignore.;)

I don't see Sam like he or YH do but even they don't claim or would claim he is top 10 QB.

He did play as a top 10 QB in the 2nd half statistically but a lot goes into that. Either way I wouldn't argue he is great player. Everyone is right he hasn't shown it and whenever he seems to be on the verge he gets hurt.

Hell I didn't even want him back. I wanted them to take a chance on RG3, trade for Kaep, or draft a guy at 8 (back when these QBs were hyped up as the next great thing).

But I also don't think Bradford is bottom 5 or bottom 10 terrible. He is average somwhere between #13-#18 best QB. Possibly better if he they were to put better pieces around him. I imagine a Zeke Elliot on this team with the current skill players would have done wonders for him. Keep in mind the Eagles had no running game last year.

Fantomex

Choosing a player with a risky knee injury that can blow up at any time is not something that's a choice.

The man can be the second coming of Derrick Thomas or Lawrence Taylor. But if he can't be healthy for three years at least. Then that's not a luxury Cleveland can afford.

You may be right.. RIP BG.

And it's probably Lynch and they might trade up a spot to get him to ensure that they make him a first rounder to get that extra year in his contract.

Me and Future had this discussion this week. Myles Jack is said to at worst give you 4-5 years. That's when his rookie contract would end anyway. The medicals on him is that it will probably wear down as time goes by and he will have his career cut short like Terrell Davis. Wouldn't it be better to have a Pro Bowler for 5 years instead of a normal player for 7?

For Browns at 8 if he's their I think they would highly consider Buckner. Jack depends on how they feel about the knee. Bosa would be considered too if he falls but dosent fit the best. Zeke I think they would consider too. But what I think will happen is another trade, hopefully pick up a 2nd. Picking in the teens would be a good spot to be in for the probable Wr run. A extra high 2nd could good go along way for us

I also wouldn't be surprised if Connor Cook is a brown before the end of draft weekend.

Or it could be Oline and I'll be in a grave right next to Tony Grossi and ESPN 850

squicken

Has a player ever had fucked up knees like his coming out and somehow over come it?

I have no idea. He supposedly needs microfracture surgery. Maybe CLE drafts him and then sits him for a year as he does the surgery and then recovery?

Connor Cook

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

David Todd ‏@DavidMTodd 36m36 minutes ago

I’ll be picking for #Steelers in @1010XL media mock draft. @MaryKayCabot made surprise pick so far taking Paxton Lynch for #Browns at 8.

Listen to your Khaleesi!

RBH

Matt Miller analyzes every NFL team leading into the Draft on Thursday:

Arizona Cardinals: Even with restricted free agent Tony Jefferson signing his one-year tender, I'm told by a Cardinals scout that they will target a defensive back in Round 1. The center position is one the Cardinals could target early, and the scout also said the team fell in love with Alabama's Ryan Kelly (Alabama). The scout and another team source both said they wouldn't be surprised if wide receiver Michael Floyd is used as trade bait to move up or add extra picks. That was the case last year, too.

Atlanta Falcons: Defense, defense, defense. Front-office executives in Atlanta expect a defensive end or linebacker at pick No. 17. With only five picks in the draft, I'm told by the same sources that the Falcons would move down in Round 1 if Darron Lee is already off the board. As a scout in Atlanta told me, "Scott Pioli always goes OL." It would be reasonable to expect a guard to come off the board in the middle rounds.

Baltimore Ravens: At pick No. 6 the Ravens have options, and I'm told by a coach that general manager Ozzie Newsome will stick to a "best available player" philosophy after reaching for a need in wide receiver Breshad Perriman last year. The Ravens have done their homework on Eastern Kentucky edge-rusher Noah Spence. If he's on the board in Round 2, a position coach in Baltimore says he'd be the pick.

Buffalo Bills: A scout in Buffalo opted not to answer when asked about the Bills' interest in Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg, who has been linked to them by many around the league, including Sports Illustrated's Peter King. One thing is certain, according to the scout: The Bills are intent on adding at least competition for Pro Bowl quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Kevin Hogan (Stanford) is another name a front-office source with knowledge of the Bills' draft plans mentioned as a mid-round option. If the Bills go defense in Round 1, I'm told by the same front-office source that the scouting staff praised Alabama's Jarran Reed and consider him a fit there.

Carolina Panthers: The Panthers have been linked to pass-rushers throughout the draft process, but sources in the scouting room expect a defensive back to get the most attention in Round 1. I'm told by coaching staff sources in Carolina that the team has done heavy work on Ohio State wide receiver Michael Thomas; he may be a surprise Round 1 pick.

Chicago Bears: The Bears are said to love DeForest Buckner, according to a source on the coaching staff, but the Oregon defensive lineman won't be available at pick No. 11. Leonard Floyd is the player highest on the board who is likely to be available, but the same coaching source said left tackle and cornerback will be priorities.

Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals have a reputation in scouting circles of drafting for need, and a coach on the staff expects a wide receiver to be the first-round need filled. Other areas that will get attention are defensive line and defensive back, likely in the top four rounds, according to the same coach.

Cleveland Browns: League sources expect the Browns to consider Jack Conklin from Michigan State at pick No. 8 as they try to replace Mitchell Schwartz. The Browns were "in love" with Myles Jack, according to a scout employed with the team this past season, but that may have changed with new information regarding his knee. A scout still employed with the team believes the Browns will be active moving up and down the board, but the scout says the priority will be on defense.

Dallas Cowboys: Everything I hear out of Dallas' front office is that the team is locked in on Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey. If he is gone, a current Dallas player I spoke with who has knowledge of the draft board said Ezekiel Elliott is "100 percent in play."

Denver Broncos: Many expect Denver to select a quarterback, but a scout in the front office says that general manager John Elway will draft the best player, not the biggest need. The scout mentioned safety Karl Joseph as someone the Broncos were high on.

Detroit Lions: Ryan Kelly is the top want from new general manager Bob Quinn, according to scouts who have worked with him in the past. Don't rule out a left tackle if Taylor Decker falls to pick No. 16. A coach I spoke to in Detroit said, Riley Reiff isn't expected to return after his contract runs out next season.

Green Bay Packers: General manager Ted Thompson doesn't always stay on script, but everything coming out of the draft room in Green Bay points to defensive line and linebacker in the first two rounds. One name heating up from scouts with the Packers is Clemson safety T.J. Green. He's viewed as a hot candidate in Round 2 if he's on the board. The Packers love Alabama players, and according to the scouting source there, Reggie Ragland is viewed as a late first-round option.

Houston Texans: Sources in Houston on the coaching staff and in the front office have said all along that wide receiver is likely to be the first-round pick. Keep an eye on Laquon Treadwell if he falls, as I'm told the Texans love him. As for the most likely selection, the scout I spoke to said Will Fuller got his top grade at wide receiver.

Indianapolis Colts: The love for Alabama center Ryan Kelly is real, according to decision-makers I've talked to in Indianapolis. Sources on the coaching staff tell me they're not set on drafting an offensive tackle at any point in this draft and instead expect to go center and edge-rusher in some order with the first two picks.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Myles Jack is the name everyone mentions when you ask around the league. If he passes his medicals, he'll be the pick, according to a front-office source. Joey Bosa is the top player on the board without a health risk, according to the same front-office source. There was a debate between Bosa and Jalen Ramsey among scouts.

Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs stick to a strict "draft ahead" philosophy, and looking at future free agents, a coach there says a nose tackle in Round 1 wouldn't be a surprise. Other areas of consideration, per the coach, are wide receiver and cornerback. The team would like to add a quarterback but may not be able to without a third-round pick, according to a scouting contact.

Los Angeles Rams: This may seem a formality, but I'm told by a source in the Rams' front office that they are taking Jared Goff at No. 1 overall. With just four other selections, the same source said the Rams will focus on an interior lineman and a big wide receiver.

Miami Dolphins: The team is enamored with Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, and my front-office source says a trade up to get in front of Chicago at No. 11 is possible. The Dolphins are also expected to make a run at a cornerback early in this draft, per the same source.

Minnesota Vikings: It's no secret that the Vikings need a starting wide receiver, and I'm told by a scout in the front office that they prefer TCU's Josh Doctson in Round 1. Running back is not considered by scouts in Minnesota to be a priority in this draft class.

New England Patriots: The Patriots are a hard team to get solid info on, but one scout said strong safety could be targeted with one of their two Round 2 selections. Scouts familiar with New England's draft plans said the team will target a stand-up pass-rusher to replace Chandler Jones with one of the Day 2 picks.

New Orleans Saints: In talking to sources on the coaching staff in New Orleans, it's apparent the team wants to get bigger at defensive tackle and beef up against the run. Sheldon Rankins in Round 1 and a wide receiver in Round 2 is the current "best guess" from coaches. I was told by a Saints scout that there was a big debate on Robert Nkemdiche and to not rule him out in Round 1.

New York Giants: General manager Jerry Reese has avoided the linebacker position in years past, but a front-office source said that could change this year. Darron Lee and Leonard Floyd are the names to watch. Offensive tackle is another area the Giants' source said could be a first-round pick; Jack Conklin is the player my contact mentioned. The Giants would love for Myles Jack to be available, according to a coach I spoke with on staff.

New York Jets: The Jets are a true "best player available" team now, so don't expect a reach for a quarterback at No. 20 if they don't have that player atop the board. The Jets were an anonymous-source dream under the last regime, but good luck getting anyone in this building to talk now. Since Mike Maccagnan put together a mix of young and veteran scouts to assist in his rebuilding efforts, led by his top lieutenant Brian Heimerdinger, they have locked down the rebuilding effort. All is quiet coming out of Florham Park.

Oakland Raiders: A coaching source in Oakland said the Raiders would love Ezekiel Elliott to fall to them, but a realistic option is a big defensive tackle or left tackle of the future, per the same source. Two names to remember, according to the coach I talked to, are Chris Jones and Robert Nkemdiche.

Philadelphia Eagles: Carson Wentz will be the pick at No. 2 overall (no surprise), but my sources in Philadelphia's front office said the team wants to add at least one receiver and running back with its remaining selections. Speaking of running backs, I'm told it wouldn't be a surprise to Eagles scouts if they went quarterback and then running back with the team's first two picks. Kenneth Dixon (Louisiana Tech) was mentioned as a possibility.

Pittsburgh Steelers: A contact on staff in Pittsburgh said the team is not set on a cornerback in Round 1 and that the team could draft Karl Joseph depending on his medicals. The Steelers will not be moving Landry Jones for draft picks, according to my source. They value him more than ever after his play last season.

San Diego Chargers: I'm told by a decision-maker in the front office that Laremy Tunsil, DeForest Buckner and Jalen Ramsey are the favorites to be picked at No. 3 overall. The same source said the Chargers view tackle, defensive end and free safety as their biggest needs.

San Francisco 49ers: At pick No. 7, expect the 49ers to go toward the trenches unless they can move up to get cornerback Jalen Ramsey, according to my front-office source. Names to consider for the 49ers are Tunsil, Buckner and Ronnie Stanley. I'm told by the same source that linebacker Myles Jack has been moved to the team's "sub-board," which means he wouldn't play in 2016. In other words, he's basically off their radar. General manager Trent Baalke needs to win now, and that's why my contact believes the 49ers are a candidate to move back up into Round 1 and may try to send Colin Kaepernick as trade capital to do so.

Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks are being oddly quiet this season after talking fairly openly last year. Information isn't flowing from the Pacific Northwest. One scout I met on the road did say they viewed Ryan Kelly as a Round 1 player but that he's not expected to be there for them.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The word around the league is that Tampa likes tackle Ronnie Stanley but the team fears he won't be there. A source on the team said pass-rusher and wide receiver were considered the top needs on the roster.

Tennessee Titans: After Tennessee traded back from the No. 1 overall pick, the current buzz from scouts with the Titans is that they're eyeing a move back into the top 10 to get a right tackle. League sources expect the Cleveland Browns to consider Jack Conklin from Michigan State at pick No. 8, so the Titans could be trying to get ahead of them.

Washington: At pick No. 21, I've been told by scouts that general manager Scot McCloughan would love to land Alabama center Ryan Kelly. Scouts I've spoken with from the team believe defensive line is a high priority but said to not rule out a big wide receiver in Round 1.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-16

I have no idea. He supposedly needs microfracture surgery. Maybe CLE drafts him and then sits him for a year as he does the surgery and then recovery?

Connor Cook

He needs microfracture like right away, or he'll need it in time? Because if it's right away I wouldn't go anywhere near him with a top 10 pick.

Me and Future had this discussion this week. Myles Jack is said to at worst give you 4-5 years. That's when his rookie contract would end anyway. The medicals on him is that it will probably wear down as time goes by and he will have his career cut short like Terrell Davis. Wouldn't it be better to have a Pro Bowler for 5 years instead of a normal player for 7?
Yes, of course it is. But am I guaranteed 5 years? There's no guarantee I get one or two. I know things happen as injuries and shit happens. But Cleveland can't afford to have Jack dying year two and his career being over which is a possibility considering the medical history.

There is no need to put yourself down for that risk if you're Cleveland because you need everything. Trade down.. Still fill a need later with a solid player.

David Todd ‏@DavidMTodd 36m36 minutes ago

I’ll be picking for #Steelers in @1010XL media mock draft. @MaryKayCabot made surprise pick so far taking Paxton Lynch for #Browns at 8.

Listen to your Khaleesi!
Smh

Top Bottom