• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdyhybrid

I dunno, I would think anyone that went to college would at least be able to understand basic math:

r4lQ2wk.png

Didn't want this beautiful tweet to get stuck at the end of the last page.

Bread is slowly becoming a good guy but there are still some traces of his pats fandom, like today he refused to get me some In N out....but he'll get there I know he will. That best coast air is getting to him..

RBH

REX.jpeg

Way back in 2005, the San Francisco 49ers had the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft. At the time, rumor had it that they were deciding between two quarterbacks: Utah's Alex Smith and Cal's Aaron Rodgers. The 49ers ultimately went with Smith, while Rodgers fell 23 spots to the Green Bay Packers. The rest is history.

Smith has gone on to become basically the definiton of a league-average quarterback, one who lost his job with San Fran to Colin Kaepernick and has essentially stayed the same player since moving to the Kansas City Chiefs. Rodgers, meanwhile, has become one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history, a Super Bowl-winning multiple-time MVP.

What was the reasoning behind the 49ers opting for Smith over Rodgers? Well, Mike Nolan, who was the team's coach at the time, told NFL Network that (among other things) the team considered Smith "safe" while it felt Rodgers was "very cocky, very confident, arrogant" per CSN Bay Area.

In fully explaining his reasoning, Nolan allowed that there were other considerations, such as the fact that the 49ers felt they would have to change Rodgers' mechanics and they felt Smith was more mobile. He indicated that he felt that might have been "paralysis by analysis" before adding, “The other thing as Alex at the time was a good kid -- a very good person, a safe choice, always trying to please. On the other hand, Aaron was very cocky, very confident, arrogant. So you can say, ‘Why didn't you take him to begin with?' Because that's really what your best quarterbacks look like. They aren't very pleasing. They aren't very safe.

“And as time has showed, that's really how Alex plays. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's very secure with the ball. And on the other hand, Aaron is a slinger. He's all over the place and makes great, big plays. Obviously, he'll be a Hall of Fame player one day.”
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...iculous-reasoning-for-smith-over-rodgers-pick

Pepiope

I dunno, I would think anyone that went to college would at least be able to understand basic math:

r4lQ2wk.png
The numbers aren't going to look great when Bradford's learning a new offense every year. The injuries don't really help either.

Either way, he won't be an Eagle much longer, moving on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Report: Sam Bradford doesn't want trade to 49ers because of Chip Kelly

Apparently, one season with Chip Kelly was more than enough for Sam Bradford. According to NFL.com's Jeff Darlington, Bradford doesn't want to be traded to the 49ers because he doesn't want to be reunited with Kelly.

"The Jets are not interested in Bradford, and he is not interested in playing with Chip Kelly," Darlington told 97.5 FM The Fanatic, when asked about Bradford's options.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bradford is a fucking idiot. He shouldn't be putting out that he doesn't want to play for anybody with a draft class stacked at QB. I hope his dumb ass is joining J-Bust on the recliner this season. Fucking shitbird.

squicken

Bradford's agent talked to ESPN:

"As they were making this plan, it would have been nice if they had told him about it," said Condon, who said that he re-iterated to Eagles vice president of football operations Howie Roseman in a recent phone conversation that Bradford wants out of Philadelphia.

"It's his right to demand a trade and he wants to be traded," said Condon.

Condon said when he told Roseman of Bradford's demand, Roseman "was not too surprised. He knew how Sam felt. Sam made it very clear to them, he was adamant when they informed him last week about the trade up to No. 2. He told them he was not very happy about it. He made that very clear. So this [trade demand] comes as no surprise."

"Basically, our contention is that the team could have used the draft picks on offensive and defensive players for this season, to win this season," said Condon. "If the plan was to build for the future, where does that leave Sam this year?"

Fletcher Cox is also not at voluntary OTAs.

Top Bottom