• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 10 |OT| - The Dream is Dead.

Hindl

8 points holy shit.

Polls were off like 7 points on average throughout the whole rust belt. Trump really did do the impossible even though we all thought that his rallies were just the fringe.

I just slept 4 hours and I still can't believe what is happening. I'm not really exactly sad because I wasn't very high on Clinton...I'm just shocked and have no idea how this is going to play out.

Like the best case scenario is that he governs from his own heart, which was usually pretty moderate for most of his life.
Also at least he has experience being a leader of a multinational corporation and schmoozing with people. If he's Reagan #2 but just with a super shitty behind closed doors mentality, that might also be the best case scenario. I'm hoping so much now that we're just living in an era of exaggerated social media and that lots of former presidents were as bad or worse but we just didn't know it.

Edit: internationally he won't be Reagan. He'll go isolationist if anything and give Putin Eastern Europe. Russia is going to get their "EU" after all and the EU will be powerless to stop it without the US military.

It's just all unknown territory honestly. There's a real possibility he could simultaneously push through extreme left AND right ideas through because I can't imagine him being beholden to some kind of specific platform. It's going to be so surreal.

The real best case scenario is that he doesn't actually want to govern, and basically acts as a figurehead while Pence, Ryan, et al push forth the agenda they said they would. Which, to remind people:

- Repeal all climate regulation (this is what will doom the earth)
- Defund planned parenthood
- Massive tax cuts with austerity measures paying for it on the backs of the poor and middle class
- Repeal of Obamacare, which yes was shitty but had some decent parts
- Take away woman's right to choose
- Tilt the SC conservative for another 30 years, effectively halting progressive progess until many of our unborn children are adults
- Greatly increase stuff like stop and frisk, voter suppression, police glorification
- Deport DREAMers, DACA, etc. sending millions of undocumented workers out of the country
- Give Putin carte blanche to do whatever he wants in Eastern Europe
- Rework trade deals that will basically massively increase the cost of basic goods

And that's a best case scenario

Fucking hell, it's nearly 2pm and I still haven't been to bed yet.

Time to grab a pizza, finish watching Grosse Pointe Blank on TV then have a nice long sleep and hope I wake to find out this has all been a bad dream.

More black people voted for Trump than voted for Mitt Romney.

Fucking insane

Trump wasn't up against Obama.

bionic77

The real best case scenario is that he doesn't actually want to govern, and basically acts as a figurehead while Pence, Ryan, et al push forth the agenda they said they would. Which, to remind people:

- Repeal all climate regulation (this is what will doom the earth)
- Defund planned parenthood
- Massive tax cuts with austerity measures paying for it on the backs of the poor and middle class
- Repeal of Obamacare, which yes was shitty but had some decent parts
- Take away woman's right to choose
- Tilt the SC conservative for another 30 years, effectively halting progressive progess until many of our unborn children are adults
- Greatly increase stuff like stop and frisk, voter suppression, police glorification
- Deport DREAMers, DACA, etc. sending millions of undocumented workers out of the country
- Give Putin carte blanche to do whatever he wants in Eastern Europe
- Rework trade deals that will basically massively increase the cost of basic goods

And that's a best case scenario
They can't take away a women's right to choose. They would to amend the constitution or it would have to be reversed by the SC. They don't have the votes to amend the constitution and I don't see the court making that decision.

I see everything else probably happening except the stop and frisk stuff. Again the constitution.

They will blame the Blacks or Mexicans..

Trump will scapegoat and his base will buy it..

If the wall doesn't get built.. it's someone else's fault..

Newt Gingrich was a genius and this validates what he pursued in 90's in Congress.. we are in a post-factual world and "Truthiness" reigns supreme..

It's all the fault of the Jews!

Oh wait, it's not the 1930s...

bionic77

Newt Gingrich was a genius and this validates what he pursued in 90's in Congress.. we are in a post-factual world and "Truthiness" reigns supreme..
This is not going to happen.

They control all levels of government and Trump promised more than anyone has ever promised before. No one can stop them from passing anything. It can be slowed down but not stopped.

The one thing I can predict is that there will be a backlash in 2 years. They will lose the Senate. Not sure about the House, depends on how big the reaction is.

The question is how much can they fuck up everything in 2 years? We are about to find out. Hold onto your butts...

Hindl

They can't take away a women's right to choose. They would to amend the constitution or it would have to be reversed by the SC. They don't have the votes to amend the constitution and I don't see the court making that decision.

I see everything else probably happening except the stop and frisk stuff. Again the constitution.

It will absolutely be reversed by the SC. Trump and other Republicans have promised to fill Scalia's seat with someone who would vote down Roe v. Wade. And then at least one of the older liberal justices will retire in the next 4 years, making it 6-3 conservative. They absolutely will

Lisa Lerer ✔ @llerer
Trump won't say whether *he* wants SCOTUS to overturn Roe v. Wade. But says the justices he'd pick would do so.
9:16 PM - 19 Oct 2016

deray mckesson ✔ @deray
Did Trump just say that when he appoints Supreme Court justices that they will "automatically" overturn Roe v. Wade? This is wild. #Debate
9:16 PM - 19 Oct 2016

Those are from the 2nd debate

Fox318

Fucking hell, it's nearly 2pm and I still haven't been to bed yet.

Time to grab a pizza, finish watching Grosse Pointe Blank on TV then have a nice long sleep and hope I wake to find out this has all been a bad dream.

Trump wasn't up against Obama.
Trump for 8 years was the loudest Obama critic who questioned the man's leadership and would say things like the central park 5 should be shot.

The whole election was nuts and I'm more angry at complacent democrats than anyone else.

She ran a campaign that was centered around her being female and she lost women.

Grab any other Democrat without 30 years of political baggage and they win.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume most of the outlandish shit Trump said was bluster. That wall isn't getting built. Muslim Americans aren't getting mass deported (though were I a Muslim i'd be feeling pretty unsafe this morning)

Obamacare is going to be repealed surely, but the Republicans will build it into what it likely should have been - their only opposition was that it was being spearheaded by a Democrat. Now they get to "save" the healthcare system by making it into what it always should have been, despite them being the ones who kept it from happening in the first place.

This is not going to happen.

They control all levels of government and Trump promised more than anyone has ever promised before. No one can stop them from passing anything. It can be slowed down but not stopped.

The one thing I can predict is that there will be a backlash in 2 years. They will lose the Senate. Not sure about the House, depends on how big the reaction is.

The question is how much can they fuck up everything in 2 years? We are about to find out. Hold onto your butts...

they only need one to fuck everything up.. see SCOTUS.. it won't matter if by some miracle, the dems take the Senate in two years..

they are nuking the filibuster.. they can pass whatever they want without impunity..

Someone should tell Kaepernick that while kneeling in protest in front of cameras is well and good, voting can also affect change on a local level, like with police. Just a thought.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume most of the outlandish shit Trump said was bluster. That wall isn't getting built. Muslim Americans aren't getting mass deported (though were I a Muslim i'd be feeling pretty unsafe this morning)

Obamacare is going to be repealed surely, but the Republicans will build it into what it likely should have been - their only opposition was that it was being spearheaded by a Democrat. Now they get to "save" the healthcare system by making it into what it always should have been, despite them being the ones who kept it from happening in the first place.

IT doesn't matter if every single thing he said was bullshit he doesn't believe in. What matters is that it's OK for racists, xenophobes and Islamophobes to no longer have to hide because this election has made it OK to be proud of your bigotry.

Even if they didn't pass a single law in the next four years, every day life has been made worse for minorities across America because they've been reminded that a huge proportion of the nation thinks they ain't shit.

bionic77

It will absolutely be reversed by the SC. Trump and other Republicans have promised to fill Scalia's seat with someone who would vote down Roe v. Wade. And then at least one of the older liberal justices will retire in the next 4 years, making it 6-3 conservative. They absolutely will

Those are from the 2nd debate
He promised a lot.

What you say is possible but I don't see it happening. Then again I didn't see this orange monkey being our president either...

Obamacare is dead in the water. They are not going to fix it. They are going to go back to fully private and give states choices to do nothing. Good for people with jobs and money but the poor people who can't afford it are going to get fucked. It will bring costs and premiums down though.

Ironically the poor ignorant morons who voted for him will be disproportionately hurt by this. No sympathy. Those people can go fuck themselves in the face.

Draxal

Which cost Bush in '92 with the recession. The Democrats adopted so many of the right's positions that they lost their blue collar voters. Used to be the unions and left selling the evils of globalization. Old news but I really have not payed attention to the election b/c I never in a million years thought Trump could win

Here's the thing that alot of people should realize.

Unioncrats are kinda racist. They just tolerated from them their solid votes, so Trump had extra appeal.

Hindl

Talked to him last night it's only a 24 hour ban.

Man still can't believe Trump won. My state pretty damn blue I had no idea that the rest of America was so fucked up. I knew we were pretty left compared to the rest but shit.....

I grew up in a pretty red area, so I knew they were out there. I just couldn't fathom how motivated they'd be. Trump had literally zero ground game, yet rural whites came out in record numbers. Separating the results from the disastrous consequences, it's fascinating how wrong everything we knew about election strategy, GOTV, and polling ended up being

bionic77

Deflategate was still bullshit.

Can they retroactively attribute that suspension to his MAGA hat?
Don't worry. Bill and Tom's best friend will be in the Oval Office.

He is going to take away the asterisks (along with women's rights and God knows what else).

I grew up in a pretty red area, so I knew they were out there. I just couldn't fathom how motivated they'd be. Trump had literally zero ground game, yet rural whites came out in record numbers. Separating the results from the disastrous consequences, it's fascinating how wrong everything we knew about election strategy, GOTV, and polling ended up being
Not true.. the one thing that this should prove more than anything

Dems fall in love
Republicans fall in line

bionic77

White people loved his bullshit but were too afraid to say it out loud.

Stupid assholes knew it was wrong but did it anyways.

I am done for now but go fuck yourself America.

IT doesn't matter if every single thing he said was bullshit he doesn't believe in. What matters is that it's OK for racists, xenophobes and Islamophobes to no longer have to hide because this election has made it OK to be proud of your bigotry.

Even if they didn't pass a single law in the next four years, every day life has been made worse for minorities across America because they've been reminded that a huge proportion of the nation thinks they ain't shit.

Honestly I never outright believed that. Hillary staked her whole platform on that idea and lost.

You know what minorities think? There have been 43 presidents voted in who largely didn't give a rat's ass about them politically. What's one more?

Hillary never proved why she would be beneficial to any of those groups. The best she had was "I'll be a continuation of the popular incumbent". That didn't work for Gore in 2000 and it didn't work last night.

gutshot

Dude, work this morning is so depressing. A bunch of people called out and the people that are here are either in shock or are totally despondent. One girl was in literal tears.

Fox318

I did so much traveling and talking with people in rural areas.

Hillary for prison signs everywhere.

Towns with empty shops. And people struggling compared to how they feel things should be.

Hillary didn't even bother to go to Wisconsin after the primaries. She never reached out to that chunk of the nation.

The part of the nation that had to change providers or their health care went up in,what was perceived by them as welfare for people in the inner city.

People who had full time jobs now being limited to 30 hours a week because the boss wants to skip health care.

Those voters wouldn't care about what trump said about women or Muslims because they aren't Muslim or women.

It doesn't matter if Hillary was the tightest candidate she couldn't convince the nation to vote for her because she couldn't convince a majority of the states and people to vote for her.

bionic77

Congrats on Trump winng PA While my area voted Clinton and got weed legalized..
Allentown went Clinton and she cleaned up in Philly.

Middle of the state can eat a bag of dicks.

I know some Trumpers sadly. Most of them are decent people but I still can't believe they elected a reality star.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I did so much traveling and talking with people in rural areas.

Hillary for prison signs everywhere.

Towns with empty shops. And people struggling compared to how they feel things should be.

Hillary didn't even bother to go to Wisconsin after the primaries. She never reached out to that chunk of the nation.

The part of the nation that had to change providers or their health care went up in,what was perceived by them as welfare for people in the inner city.

People who had full time jobs now being limited to 30 hours a week because the boss wants to skip health care.

Those voters wouldn't care about what trump said about women or Muslims because they aren't Muslim or women.

It doesn't matter if Hillary was the tightest candidate she couldn't convince the nation to vote for her because she couldn't convince a majority of the states and people to vote for her.

Huge "Hilary is a Liar" and "Vote for the Supreme Court" signs off I-44 here in Missouri.

Agree with everything you said. Life has been getting worse and worse in rural America and for the past 8 years liberals have been shaming and talking down to them while they're suffering. The left wanted to dictate progressivism while sitting in their big city and academic ivory towers and minority strongholds.

The left needs an FDR or LBJ. Watch, their next candidate is going to be a rural white male Democrat that speaks specifically to all of these people with targeted welfare for those areas.

jmdajr

It's all about feels.

Hell that's partly why Hope and Change won last time.

bionic77

Huge "Hilary is a Liar" and "Vote for the Supreme Court" signs off I-44 here in Missouri.

Agree with everything you said. Life has been getting worse and worse in rural America and for the past 8 years liberals have been shaming and talking down to them while they're suffering. The left wanted to dictate progressivism while sitting in their big city and academic ivory towers and minority strongholds.

The left needs an FDR or LBJ. Watch, their next candidate is going to be a rural white male Democrat that speaks specifically to all of these people with targeted welfare for those areas.
This is bullshit.

Life has been progressively getting worse in small towns for the past 60 years. Those towns are dying for a reason.

I grew up in small towns and shit was depressed in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. If you want to say they were ignored that is one thing but this fantasy that small towns got significantly worse in the past 8 years now is just fantasy.

If you want more money get an education and move to a city like what most young people do in small towns. It has always been that way. Trump is not going to change it. People like me are going to benefit from his tax breaks and the decrease in premiums. Nothing will change in small towns because they is not the fault of politics or Washington. That is just evolution and capitalism.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is bullshit.

Life has been progressively getting worse in small towns for the past 60 years. Those towns are dying for a reason.

I grew up in small towns and shit was depressed in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. If you want to say they were ignored that is one thing but this fantasy that small towns got significantly worse in the past 8 years now is just fantasy.

If you want more money get an education and move to a city like what most young people do in small towns. It has always been that way. Trump is not going to change it. People like me are going to benefit from his tax breaks and the decrease in premiums. Nothing will change in small towns because they is not the fault of politics or Washington. That is just evolution and capitalism.

Not the last 8 years specifically.

The candidate they voted for did nothing for them the last 8 years is what I meant. They went with the alternative because they're desperate. Obviously that shit has been going south for decades.

bionic77

The candidate they voted for did nothing for them the last 8 years is what I meant. They went with the alternative because they're desperate. Obviously that shit has been going south for decades.
He gave them a voice and a fantasy.

The rest is history.

Fuck you small towns.

It's over for small towns. Shy of artificially propping them up with free money there's no stimulus or manufacturing job that will make them self sustaining again. That America is dead.

It's over for small towns. Shy of artificially propping them up with free money there's no stimulus or manufacturing job that will make them self sustaining again. That America is dead.

Did Trump promise a return of American manufacturing? I'll be honest I didnt follow the election coverage because I thought it was literally impossible for anyone to lose to Trump. So I have no clue what any of his actual stance is outside of the crazy statememts he made that has gone viral.

Top Bottom