• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 16 |OT| 8-8s & Heartbreak

this_guy

Good morning fellas. Tom Savage doesn't play until tomorrow so no need to talk about the NFL today.

All you olds should watch Stranger Things on Netflix - it has an 80s feel to it. The setting does take place in the 80s, but that's not what I mean. It reminds me of something like Goonies. All you young folks will be confused when you see the kids riding their bikes after dark and without helmets/knee pads. It's a fun science fiction/mystery series.

Beach

For the first time this season, LA is broadcasting the Raider game the same time as the Rams game. The CBS affiliate in LA asked for special permission to switch from the Browns-Chargers game to the Raiders-Colts. Ratings should tell a big story.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
For the first time this season, LA is broadcasting the Raider game the same time as the Rams game. The CBS affiliate in LA asked for special permission to switch from the Browns-Chargers game to the Raiders-Colts. Ratings should tell a big story.

If the Rams don't turn it around, it's going to be really awkward when the Rams games have one of the lowest attendance figures in the league and constant blackouts.

e9naWKD.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Who is gonna win MVP this year?
Im going Rodgers.

Cowboys offensive line should win it hands down but there's no way to do that in voting.

Edit: My vote is Matt Ryan if we're going quarterbacks and I think the award will go that way. I don't think they'll give it to a rookie like Zeke since the Cowboys line is just so damn good.

Beach

How many games do the Raiders win without Carr? 1? Only game I can think of them winning without him was the Jags game.

No way you can say the same for Brady and Zeke.

I have Ryan as #1 then Carr as #2

Hindl

How many games do the Raiders win without Carr? 1? Only game I can think of them winning without him was the Jags game.

Yeah forgot about Carr. I'd say it should be between those two and Stafford

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Yeah Brady is playing really well but going 3-1 without him really hurts his case for the award.

I think the Cowboys win loads of games without Zeke as well. Remember Demarco Murray?

Rotoworld said:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports impending free agent Mike Glennon "could fetch" $13-15 million per year on his next contract.

Glennon has made 18 career starts across four seasons, but has attempted just 11 passes in mop-up duty since the Bucs took Jameis Winston No. 1 overall in 2015. Across his 21 appearances, Glennons has completed 374-of-630 passes (59.4 percent) for 4,100 yards (6.5 YPA) and a 30:15 TD:INT mark. He's certainly held his own when under center and will probably be the top free agent passer on the market in March, along with Jay Cutler, assuming Cutler gets cut. The $13-15 million per year would put Glennon in the Ryan Fitzpatrick/Colin Kaepernick range of quarterback salary. It would be a fair number. Glennon just turned 27 earlier this month.

For reference, Bills front office want to let Tyrod go because he'd get $16 mil next year

Pepiope

Yeah Brady is playing really well but going 3-1 without him really hurts his case for the award.

I think the Cowboys win loads of games without Zeke as well. Remember Demarco Murray?
I don't think they do. The run game has been what's protecting Dak all season. Take out Zeke and the offense isn't dominant.

Hindl

I mean, gotta give Zeke a lot of credit. The OL has been giving him giant holes but he's been maximizing the opportunity. Let's assume the Cowboys win Monday and rest starters to end 13-3. While I think they still would've been great, but if it was a combo of Alfred Morris and McFadden and no Zeke, they probably would've been around 10-6. Looking good, but not this juggernaut. Zeke definitely deserves ROTY tho. I'd give it to Bosa but the Chargers aren't winning enough games to justify it.

For MVP I just think that Stafford, Ryan, and Carr have been more integral to their team's successes, but Zeke desrves at least a nod

My Name is Eli Manning and I throw into double coverage with no fear...

Eli pick 6 was the difference, lost by 5 points...

Yeah honestly after the first 10 minutes the Eagles offense was just listless, except for that last drive before the half. They kept trying to give the game away and then Eli just threw bad picks. I feel like the Giants overall outplayed the Eagles, but the Eagles defense stepped up when it counted.

Hindl

And then he decides to stay another year...

Jokes on y'all suckers hahahahahahahaha

please don't end up in Pittsburgh... please don't up in Pittsburgh

He's not really a pressing need anyway, if he was available in the later rounds I'd take him but I was never really thinking about him.

You already know it's happening

Also slightly OT, but he's not Gruden, but I thought Collinsworth and Tirico were good together

Dishwalla

Banned
If the Rams don't turn it around, it's going to be really awkward when the Rams games have one of the lowest attendance figures in the league and constant blackouts.

The NFL hasn't had their blackout policy in place since the start of the 2015 season, and while they haven't officially gotten rid of it permanently I really don't think it's coming back. No NFL game has been blacked out since the 2013 season.

Bell would be in this conversation too, except he's got the same issue Brady does, in that the team played well without him and he was suspended. I don't think the league is interested in handing out MVP awards to dudes who missed games due to suspension.

I think the Packers come back and win the division, Rodgers is likely gonna get the nod. Ryan will be in the conversation as well. I think both Stafford and Carr have their finger injuries that are having an adverse effect on their game. Carr looked like dog poo in KC a couple weeks ago, right after the injury, and Stafford is ... well, he's Stafford. But with a mangled hand he's even more Stafford than usual.

By the way, not to side with kas or anything, but I found this article about QBs under 30 pretty amusing. Especially this part:
4. Matt Stafford

Statistically, Matt Stafford blows everyone else on this list away. He’s had at least 4,200 yards in each of the last five seasons, and even broke 5,000 yards back in 2011. He’s had three seasons with at least 29 touchdowns, and despite being a little injury prone, always has good numbers. Even in 2015, where the Lions struggled mightily, Stafford still completed 67 percent of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns.
Of course, his success comes with an asterisk because he’s played with perhaps the best receiver in football, the supposedly retired Calvin Johnson. Stafford has been accused of relying on the physical anomaly that was the 6’5″ speedster. Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s not like Stafford is supposed to ignore the seemingly un-coverable Johnson to prove his worth.

But much like Bortles, Detroit struggled with the run in 2015. In fact, Stafford’s Lions were dead last in rushing, averaging only 83 yards a game. Stafford only threw 14 fewer passes than he did last year, and while he completed significantly more of those passes, there’s no question that Stafford is facing insurmountable odds. It’s not his fault that the Lions have been this bad. But without Calvin Johnson to catch his passes, with no freak receivers in sight, and being paired with a lame duck coach like Jim Caldwell, things aren’t going to get any easier for Matt Stafford.

Now, the Lions still have a chance to go all Lions and blow this season, miss the playoffs, and be defended by kas himself, but Stafford has proven that it wasn't all CJ out there.

MVP:
Brady
Elliot
Ryan
Bell
Rodgers

Brady? :jnc. The team went 3-1 without him. They'd likely be exactly where they are if they'd started rice in his burritos Jimmy G the whole season. The Trumpriots are 14-6 without Brady over the span of his career. If anything, this season has proven how little value he has. Plug anyone in at QB in the Trumpriots system and you win games.

Brady? :jnc. The team went 3-1 without him. They'd likely be exactly where they are if they'd started rice in his burritos Jimmy G the whole season. The Trumpriots are 14-6 without Brady over the span of his career. If anything, this season has proven how little value he has. Plug anyone in at QB in the Trumpriots system and you win games.
No other patriots QBs have put up the numbers Brady has though

MechDX

Since Wk 8, @HoustonTexans have allowed 70.6 net rushing yards per game, which ranks 1st in @NFL, and 2 rushing TDs, tied for fewest in @NFL https://t.co/6cY0VMNbje

Damn I knew they improved but not by this amount. Crennel needs some serious run as assistant coach of the year. Doing this with 3 rookies, 2 of them UDFA on the d line, and no Watt

j-wood

Since Wk 8, @HoustonTexans have allowed 70.6 net rushing yards per game, which ranks 1st in @NFL, and 2 rushing TDs, tied for fewest in @NFL https://t.co/6cY0VMNbje

Damn I knew they improved but not by this amount. Crennel needs some serious run as assistant coach of the year. Doing this with 3 rookies, 2 of them UDFA on the d line, and no Watt

It's going to hurt real bad when demarco and henry beast all over them

If Zeke gets the rookie rushing record, there is no question he wins MVP in my view.

That being said, MVP is a dumb award. In this literal sense of most valuable, I think it's Rodgers or Bell.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The NFL hasn't had their blackout policy in place since the start of the 2015 season, and while they haven't officially gotten rid of it permanently I really don't think it's coming back. No NFL game has been blacked out since the 2013 season.

Huh totally forgot about that. Was wondering why I hadn't seen outrage over it in a while.

Bell would be in this conversation too, except he's got the same issue Brady does, in that the team played well without him and he was suspended. I don't think the league is interested in handing out MVP awards to dudes who missed games due to suspension.

I think the Packers come back and win the division, Rodgers is likely gonna get the nod. Ryan will be in the conversation as well. I think both Stafford and Carr have their finger injuries that are having an adverse effect on their game. Carr looked like dog poo in KC a couple weeks ago, right after the injury, and Stafford is ... well, he's Stafford. But with a mangled hand he's even more Stafford than usual.

By the way, not to side with kas or anything, but I found this article about QBs under 30 pretty amusing. Especially this part:

Now, the Lions still have a chance to go all Lions and blow this season, miss the playoffs, and be defended by kas himself, but Stafford has proven that it wasn't all CJ out there.

Like I said the other day, nobody has ever won the MVP that wasn't also in the Pro Bowl. Stafford would have to throw for 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns the next two games to amp up the recency effect....something like that might get it done.

I still can't believe nobody is looking at Ryan's stats as an open and shut case for the MVP. He has a passer rating of 114.8, 32 TDs, 7 INTs, 4336 yards, 68.6% completion rate, and a monster YPA of 9.33...with two games to go! I guess everyone is just holding those really pedestrian games against the Eagles and Chiefs against him.

Top Bottom