• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepiope

Chip recruited at Oregon, I mean I know he says he hates it but if that is what it takes to get a decent job I would think he would do it. The radio today said he was going to sit out a year so that he would be available as soon as jobs open next year.

In Eagles news:

ESPN Sources: #Eagles recently approached Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters about reducing his salary: https://t.co/frVyUa7TfY

-- Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) February 8, 2017

Wonder if they will cut him if he says no.
I can easily see a restructure. Give him some guaranteed dollars over the next 2 years and lower the cap hit. He doesn't have much more than that left.

Don't think he can say no, no other team is going to pay him 12M.

dionysus

Yaldog
ESPN radio said the firing of the DC was planned before Superbowl.

That loss isn't on him in my opinion. All on OC and Quinn for not vetoing/ordering the OC to run more and burn clock.

ESPN radio said the firing of the DC was planned before Superbowl.

That loss isn't on him in my opinion. All on OC and Quinn for not vetoing/ordering the OC to run more and burn clock.

The team was planning to fire the Dc that helped get them to the SB even before the game was played? That is so nuts to me, wonder if it was just a case of their personalities not meshing.

I can easily see a restructure. Give him some guaranteed dollars over the next 2 years and lower the cap hit. He doesn't have much more than that left.

Don't think he can say no, no other team is going to pay him 12M.

What about a team like the Browns that will be desperate to get to the cap floor?

Hindl

The team was planning to fire the Dc that helped get them to the SB even before the game was played? That is so nuts to me, wonder if it was just a case of their personalities not meshing.

What about a team like the Browns that will be desperate to get to the cap floor?

The Browns have Joe Thomas, a younger and better LT. Why would they want Peters? I don't think the Browns will have too much trouble getting to the floor

Tom Penny

I said in my original post that Bill is great at finding guys, which is clearly a part of being a GM. He isnt so good at the drafting guys part as evidenced by the Pats having so few drafted guys on their roster. If you want to say he is great at manipulating the cap that is fine, but he gets rid of guys who make money and replaces them with his scrap heap guys who make nothing. Also he gets away with paying Tom below market because of the shady shit the team does with funneling money to Brady's company. If think Bill is a much better coach then a GM but it is really hard to judge either since he has been caught cheating and no one here knows if he is still cheating or not, and what effect that it actually has on games.
Isn't too good at drafting guys? lol look at any last decade list or even twenty year team drafting rankings. Pats top ten in any one you find.

In Yankee fantasy land a GM's job does not involve the salary cap and all facets of acquiring players and personal.

Having to acquire street FA en masse because you failed at drafting is a huge GM problem, especially in Belichick's case where all those street Free agents rally to form a competent at best defense.

0 Touchdowns returned all season, 0 forced fumbles returned. Brady prevailed but this defense gave up 21 points in 2 quarters. Falcons win and you're crowing for Patricia to be fired and Belichick to lose GM powers. Brady fixes all this teams drafting errors. Once again Belichick proves he's a mastermind at coach and a terrible GM.

Tom Penny

Having to acquire street FA en masse because you failed at drafting is a huge GM problem, especially in Belichick's case where all those street Free agents rally to form a competent at best defense.

Brady prevailed but this defense gave up 21 points in 2 quarters. 0 Touchdowns returned all season, 0 force fumbles returned. Once again Belichick proves he's a mastermind at coach and a terrible GM.
No forced fumbles or tds on D? They gave up the fewest points in the league lol Imagine if the Pats had the Steelers garbage D. They'd be really good.

No forced fumbles or tds on D? They gave up the fewest points in the league lol Imagine if the Pats had the Steelers garbage D. They'd be really good.

Knew you'd say that. Best pass rusher on the Pats had 7 sacks all season. In Pittsburgh that's a massive problem but in Foxborough that's a Championship defense. Why? Brady.

Pats best defense is their offense and has been for years. Again, Brady fixes all drafting errors.

Isn't too good at drafting guys? lol look at any last decade list or even twenty year team drafting rankings. Pats top ten in any one you find.

This year I heard Brian Billick talk about Ted Thompson on NFLN and he basically said you can tell what a great GM Ted is because the Packers have the most homegrown players of any team in the league. Right or wrong GMs are absolutely judged on their ability to find players in the draft. Hell until the giants spent big on defense and had it pay off, teams were always mocked for spending big in FA.

I saw an interesting thing on the EMB today. 3 of the last 4 SB winners had the #1 overall defense the year that they won. Crazy that all the changes to offense still havent changed it from defense wins championships.

Tom Penny

Knew you'd say that. Best pass rusher on the Pats had 7 sacks all season. In Pittsburgh that's a massive problem but in Foxborough that's a Championship defense. Why? Brady.

Pats best defense is their offense and has been for years. Again, Brady fixes all drafting errors.
Atl averages 34 scored 21 on them
Steelers averaged 25 scored 17

I'm glad you recognize Brady is GOAT on top of that though. 😂 looking at individual stats on a Pats defense. Next you will tell me blount is the best RB in the league cuz he had lots of TDs.

Hindl

Which is why I think a 2 year deal with like 16M guaranteed will be fine. A 12M hit next season will suck.

I agree, I think they just restructure. He's got no guaranteed money so it's in his best interest too. But I think they'd just eat it and keep him. $12M would suck but that's the going rate for a top-tier LT. I think he might restructure, but either way I doubt he hits the open market

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I'm glad you recognize Brady is GOAT on top of that though. 😂 looking at individual stats on a Pats defense. Next you will tell me blount is the best RB in the league cuz he had lots of TDs.

Wait, you cant take their total point average (which includes defensive and special teams scores) and compare it to a single game's offensive squad output.

By that I mean, NE held ATL to around 6 points below their average, not 13.

Tom Penny

Wait, you cant take their total point average (which includes defensive and special teams scores) and compare it to a single game's offensive squad output.

By that I mean, NE held ATL to around 6 points below their average, not 13.
ATL scores 16 defensive TDs this year. Amazing !!!

Brady is the best QB in the league and it's not close. Have said that for years. Doesn't change the fact that Asterisks' defense is not great.

Asterisks won 2 Super Bowls because of Brady's miracle heroics. Asterisks Defense failed in in the 4th quarter against the Seahawks, but Malcom Butler makes a play and the mistakes are magically fixed. Great defense? No. Well coached? Absolutely.

Don't know why you keep mentioning the Steelers. Have said repeatedly the major difference between the Steelers and Asterisks' defenses is Brady. Brady performs with average at best players regardless of defenses failures, while Ben folds when everything
isn't going as planned and defense can't keep up. Made a post about it right after the Super Bowl.

Pepiope

I agree, I think they just restructure. He's got no guaranteed money so it's in his best interest too. But I think they'd just eat it and keep him. $12M would suck but that's the going rate for a top-tier LT. I think he might restructure, but either way I doubt he hits the open market
Not sure I agree. Lane is the future at LT. If Peters doesn't budge I can see them letting him go and just putting big V at RT. I think we're playoff contenders next season but not super bowl contenders.

I'd easily get rid of JP for Jeffrey.

TCRS

Banned
OMG FINALLY WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL

BRADY!! PATRIOTS!! WHAT A COMEBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

man thank god I didn't watch it live I would have gotten a heart attack at that almost interception

how the hell did atlanta lose this holy shit. 25 points! in 13 minutes!!

brady da king now

Gata's bumbling a perfect example of my point. Only in Foxborough is giving up 21 points in 2 quarters of play a defense "doing its job". Brady fixes all drafting errors.

BRADY!! PATRIOTS!! WHAT A COMEBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

man thank god I didn't watch it live I would have gotten a heart attack at that almost interception

brady da king now

You know it's funny you say that. Some fans of other teams (I will not name them out of respect because I'm so classy) would have given up and change the channel, possibly to an Everybody Loves Raymond, or Becker. Patriots fans on the other hand live for this kind of game. It's in our blood. We would never change the channel while our team is losing, even if King of Queens is on.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229862103&postcount=5975

Tom Penny

brady da king now
It's Wednesday mang..

bionic77

Besides looking corny as F, those hipster actors jumping around like they're high on ecstasy makes it looks douchey to boot. :p
I do agree that they should have gotten legit JoyConBoyz for the commercial instead of those know nothing actors.

In Nintendos defense it is hard to book legit JCBs because we are busy as fuck with all the servicing.

Amazon says mine ships in exactly 3 weeks. So close now!

Interesting they couldnt stop the Falcons at all in the first half but they come out for the 2nd half and the Falcons cant do anything. I wonder what could have happened during those 15 minutes to change things so much. hmmmmmmm
To be fair to Asterisks fans (even though the last few posts prove they clearly don't deserve it) Falcons defense was gassed after a half of flying around the ball and Brady took advantage. Asterisks defense may not be elite (in fact, the definitely aren't) but they play sound assignment football for 4 quarters and the Falcons came out in the second half playing bitchass "don't lose" football on offense.

I mean, the Asterisks are clearly cheaters and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it came out that Belichick somehow cheated in that game but we have to call a spade a spade here.

I see no evidence that TCRS changed the channel

:)

More of a comment on Asterisks fans' lifelonging ways. I mean, Bread a great guy and he was clearly trolling but the Asterisks may be the most lifelonging team in the league right now, and the only reason they definitively aren't is because Cowboys "fans" exist.

gutshot

Not too surprising, but the Eagles have released Leodis McKelvin. They will definitely be drafting a CB (or two) in April, just a question of where.

Howie is cutting all of Roseman's shitty signings!

HAHA this made me laugh big time. Wonder who they will throw insane money at this offseason? My guess is AJ Bouye is about to get paid.

I will take this as you complimenting howie.

341545676_640.jpg

Hindl

They literally didn't.

Literally what I said. Asterisks "fans" just like Asterisks defense, can't hold up under pressure.

I think he was making a pun on the band Ben Folds Five

Not sure I agree. Lane is the future at LT. If Peters doesn't budge I can see them letting him go and just putting big V at RT. I think we're playoff contenders next season but not super bowl contenders.

I'd easily get rid of JP for Jeffrey.

Lane is definitely the future at LT, but Peters is better, and Lane is better at RT. I don't think Jeffery + Lane at LT and Big V at RT is better than JP at LT, Lane at RT, and another receiver that's cheaper. I'm just not sure Big V is ready to be a starter. He did alright, but he needed a lot of help, and that limited what the offense could do. I think eventually he could develop into a starter, but the offense was looking unstoppable when we had the original starting lineup and JP at LT + Lane at RT. Then once Lane got suspended things fell apart. I'd rather keep JP for one more year and get a lesser WR than target Jeffery but have the OL suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom