• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to wip right now Ike Resse is saying that he is hearing that Kenny Stills is asking for a ton of money. He said he had the best catch to TD ratio last year, 9 TDs on only 45 catches. He doesnt think the Fins will let him go though. He does think Alshon will be on the market and that he is hearing from people with the Eagles that he will be their number 1 target. So pep will be happy.

Hindl

I mean, every team could be 3 years away from success. 3 years is a long time in the NFL. The Browns could win it all 3 years from now. I get not wanting to ruin the chemistry of the line, but does it really matter when the line sucked for the majority of the year anyway? Replacing Kelce will upgrade the C position. He was bad, Wentz could barely step into a pocket last season. I want to keep JP too, but with his unwillingness to move anywhere else on the line, his age, and his salary, he may just have to be released if he isn't budging on money.

I don't think you remember the few times last season where the line would actually hold up and Wentz would have no one to throw to. We have no weapons. Given that we have Lane, and given the drastic improvement from Big V when he was slotted at RT, JP may be a luxury we can no longer afford. There are guys behind him who are capable of doing the job, and doing it well. I'm just saying I'm not willing to pass up a guy like Jeffrey, or be forced to part ways with a guy like Logan just to keep a player on the roster who will not help us win a Super Bowl.

That's fair enough. I just disagree that Lane + Big V will be nearly as good. There will be an obvious dropoff, but I think it'll be more than expected. The line held up ok injuries notwithstanding, but the problem is Big V needs help with blocking. Basically whoever was lined up right of Big V was taken out of the play because they had to block. I think the draft will have plenty of weapons to grab for Wentz, and as for Jeffery I'm no longer sure of him. He's got a looming 10 game suspension, and even when he plays he's had nagging injuries. I'm just not sure I'm comfortable spending $14M on a player like that. I'd rather get one of the other WRs for $5M less and keep JP

Eagles will miss on everyone else and overpay Cruz, who will only play eight games.

They'll probably be priced out of everyone and just trade for Torrey Smith

Lol I thought the same thing. Tom penny just trawling for bionic.
Bionic.. don't fall for it.. especially when Tom is lazy like that. Make him work for it..

Texans really should trade the house for Jimmy G. They're a win now team who need a cheap QB.
Cause that worked the last time they bought last year's Jimmy with all that cash...

They are going to have to draft one.. trade up and grab someone and get a cheap vet a la McCown or something.

It's that or buy Tony/Kirk..

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Texans don't have the cap room for Kirk or Romo.

Jimmy G is only owed 1.1 million this year. You take a shot with him and this familiar coaching tree and it only costs you a couple of picks. If he plays well, you pay him and cut Hossweiler. If he doesn't, oh well, you get rid of both of them.

Bread

Banned
Jimmy looked great when he played. Brock did not.

Don't compare them again Floy or you'll be forced to give up two firsts for Jimmy.

DMczaf

Texans really fucked themselves last year by splurging on an untested QB, the best way to remedy that would be to splurge on an untested QB.

Negative x Negative = Positive

p03wv8tb.jpg

OL aren't getting cut by anyone this season unless they are trash heap tier or wildly overpaid.

Eagles cannot go into next season with the same weapons as this year. Howie might actually be held accountable if that happens. They will find away to free up cap space and bring in some weapons. Not saying they will definitely cut Peters but if that is what it takes to upgrade WR I believe they would do it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eagles cannot go into next season with the same weapons as this year. Howie might actually be held accountable if that happens. They will find away to free up cap space and bring in some weapons. Not saying they will definitely cut Peters but if that is what it takes to upgrade WR I believe they would do it.

Right, they might trade him instead, is his contract poison or something?

Teams are desperate for OL help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would any NFL team give up anything for a 36 year old making $12m a year? I feel like moves like that never happen in the NFL.

Player for player. If he's any good at all teams need it.

The Vikings were an OL away from making the playoffs. The Seahawks are a dynasty if they had one or two better players at OL. The Lions can't make the leap. The Giants can't even run the ball.

Jimmy G is only owed 1.1 million this year. You take a shot with him and this familiar coaching tree and it only costs you a couple of picks. If he plays well, you pay him and cut Hossweiler. If he doesn't, oh well, you get rid of both of them.

Texans really fucked themselves last year by splurging on an untested QB, the best way to remedy that would be to splurge on an untested QB.
Exactly..

If they could get Jimmy for cheap, sure do it I suppose.. if Bill wants a first, tell him get bent and trade up to get a rookie QB and a vet on the cheap.

Buying Jimmy is madness.

Jimmy looked great when he played. Brock did not.

Don't compare them again Floy or you'll be forced to give up two firsts for Jimmy.
Jimmy is.. Kevin Kolb?

Is that better?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Exactly..

If they could get Jimmy for cheap, sure do it I suppose.. if Bill wants a first, tell him get bent and trade up to get a rookie QB and a vet on the cheap.

Buying Jimmy is madness.

Jimmy is.. Kevin Kolb?

Is that better?

The Texans first round pick is pretty bad because they won that playoff game.

Hindl

Right, they might trade him instead, is his contract poison or something?

Teams are desperate for OL help.

He's due $11M this year, but only has like #2M in guarantees. So the Eagles could cut him at any point. I'd think he'd want to restructure so that he gets guaranteed money this year and next year, but they can walk away from his contract easy. They could trade him but not sure what people would give for him since he'd be a 1-2 year rental at most

MechDX

No one is taking Romo's contract. Why this is even being discussed anymore is laughable.

Didnt it come out last week he would take an incentive laden, low base contract to play for a contender? Personally, I want no part of his busted ass

JABEE

There is no way I would cut Jason Peters. His salary is not that high for a high-end tackle with the cap going up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The defense did its job

This narrative needs to die. The amount of plays the falcons were on the field tohow much they scored was attrocious. Van noy and Roberts were an absolute disaster. I will say the secondary was unreal outside of butler who had a few obvious missteps both on Gabriel with the crucial PI and the exploding ankles.

Also I'd like to chime in on bill the gm debate. Bill the gm is at the very best midtier and I honestly think he's more bad than good. I will say his drafting was a big part of what pushed the pats over the edge... It's also his drafting and free agency that nearly blew toms legacy.

Once parcells picks and early draft guys like Seymour all went with age and a few of his pickups left it took a decade for bill to build a real defense. He couldn't sign nor draft a legitimate cornerback, safety, or pass rusher during this time period. His Wr selections were also attrocious, however I'll give him Welker and moss were great pickups. The pats had a bottom 5 defense for a while there and we're even being forced to run edelman out at corner back during the 2011 playoffs in an attempt to find something that worked. Hell even is best secondary draft pick (DMC) was a disaster at cb outside of his rookie campaign.

His wr selections were a trainwreck both in the draft and free agency. Aaron Dobson, Taylor price, Chad Jackson, Chad ochocinco, Brandon Lloyd, Joey Galloway, etc. They got so comfortable with Brady turning scrubs like givens, Patten, etc into "stars", that they went with rechee freaking Caldwell into the 06 season as the number 1 target and it quite literally cost them an sb berth (egregious drop in the afcc) and likely win going against sexy rexy Grossman.

It also took him years to find a pass rusher. He whiffed hard on guys like Jermaine Cunningham, adalius Thomas, Ron brace on the interior, dominique easley, Derrick Burgess, albert "sleeping giant" haynesworth, etc.

Not to mention hilarious bits like bill pressing Dimitrov hard NOT to take Julio Jones, who when all said and done may be a top 5 wr all time, certainly talent wise, and instead take Jonathan Baldwin because they are "the same player" at a lower cost.

Bills ego is what hurt him, wanting to wag his dick around and say "hey look what I found!" By taking unknowns in higher rounds which he could easily sign much later. They got that "win with less", rep early and it bit them in the ass. Aaron Rodgers IMO is experiencing a very similar issue right now. The fact is everybody has a bad day, and on top of that when the playoffs come the game becomes a different beast.

Duxxy3

The Texans would have to offer the Pats a lot because if Jimmy is as good as he looked in September, it could make the Texans the Patriots biggest challenger.

Niners and Browns can get away with offering less because they're not a challenger. At least not yet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Manningham did not feel lucky, it was just an insane throw and catch.

Couldn't even hate it was just so amazing to see that. I think the "luck" angle came more from how does Eli always do the impossible against the pats, and suck or be average everywhere else most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom