• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha oh really, which NFL teams have you worked for? None of us really have any clue what goes on, we're just guessing.

This isnt some inside baseball situation. The Pats have had Jimmy G in their facility for the last few years. They have gotten to work with him during that time. If you honestly dont think they have picked up anything during all that time then I have no idea what to say to you.

O'Brien picks up his cell phone and calls some of his old NE contacts and asks. Not that hard.

If the Pats are trying to trade him, isnt it possible that they are not going to be totally honest in that situation? "Hey Bill this is Bob, I need a QB and am willing to gives up picks for one, hows that boy Jimmy looking?"

Hindl

Haha oh really, which NFL teams have you worked for? None of us really have any clue what goes on, we're just guessing.

Forget football, make this claim more abstract and you'll see how stupid it is. You're interviewing a potential hire for a job. Your claim is that as an interviewer, you can go off of the hire's resume (being his game tape) and in person interview and know exactly how good of a worker he'll be, including all of the intangibles that don't show up on the resume, as his boss of the last 3 years.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sorry not buying it. Other teams can find all that stuff out if they really wanted to.

When Jay Gruden spoke candidly about specific mistakes rgiii was making on drop backs and reads and referencing specific play calls it was a huge deal. Not merely for publicly blasting a player for poor reads, but for giving other teams footnotes for their film study. It was a dumb mistake by a young coach.

MechDX

O'Brien picks up his cell phone and calls some of his old NE contacts and asks. Not that hard.

Because Bill would never lie. Ever. Rick Smith has ties to Denver and I'm sure he made some calls about Osweiler. What could go wrong?

This has to be trolling

Belichick drafts all these busts yet have no problem curb stomping all the Steelers and all the great players they draft. Who would have thunk it.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in losing the AFC Championship to the hated cheatingest team in the league but I have perspective - my coach (who totally should be fired by the way) has coached his team to further and further rounds in the playoffs (despite inconsistent as usual QB play). Tomlin kept this team competitive during a complete defensive rebuild. He may not be Belichick (no one in the league is) but he's next in line, and I will argue that with anybody.

Because Bill would never lie. Ever. Rick Smith has ties to Denver and I'm sure he made some calls about Osweiler. What could go wrong?

This has to be trolling

All NFL coaches and GM's take a pinky swear to always tell the truth about their players no matter what.

Spinluck

I don't think he is. I know he is. Only reason he hasn't been fired from that job is because he's the greatest coach in the league by a large factor (and a serial cheater, but I feel i've mentioned that in at least one of my posts before, so..)

Belichick's coaching and Brady's play fix Asterisks drafting errors. Signing guys who are desperate for rings for peanuts and coaching them to play unselfish assignment football is not the hallmark of a great GM.

My understanding was that he was straight up terrible at evaluating talent at certain positions (WR notoriously being his worst). His trades are so and so, and sometimes laughable (asking for a 1st rdr for Jimmy lol. I feel that more often than not he drafts players that fit his system well.

His defenses don't jump off the board statistically, but like you said, unselfish football.
They execute their gamelan, and a lot of the time they seem to come through. On film they aren't all that, but he puts just enough around Brady to where he doesn't have to carry straight up trash.

Jarnet87

This draft is shaping up to be like 2011 where the Bucs miss out on a ton of great talent before they pick,draft a bum and then we look at back at the 3-4 quality players who came after.

Bread

Banned
I don't think he is. I know he is. Only reason he hasn't been fired from that job is because he's the greatest coach in the league by a large factor (and a serial cheater, but I feel i've mentioned that in at least one of my posts before, so..)

Belichick's coaching and Brady's play fix Asterisks' drafting errors. Signing guys who are desperate for rings for peanuts and coaching them to play unselfish assignment football is not the hallmark of a great GM.
He makes a lot of great draft picks and free agent pick ups you know

That's more first round pick worthy! And here we are discussing "practice'.
More than first round pick worthy, it should be 3.

My understanding was that he was straight up terrible at evaluating talent at certain positions (WR notoriously being his worst). I feel that more often than not he drafts players that fit his system well.

His defenses don't jump off the board statistically, but like you said, unselfish football.
They execute their gamelan, and a lot of the time they seem to come through. On film they aren't all that, but he puts just enough around Brady to where he doesn't have to carry straight up trash.

Yes, all those things are hallmarks of Belichick the coach, not Belichick the GM. Belichick the GM should have been fired years ago. Asterisks could have had two more Asterisks if Belichick could draft worth a damn.

If the Seahawks run the ball in at the end of the SB, and the Falcons run the ball at all in the 2nd half, the cheat is 3-4 in SBs. Would people still be saying he is the best coach ever? Can the best coach ever lose more SBs then he wins?

Spinluck

This has to be trolling

How dare you accuse Bill Belichick of protecting his and his teams own interest. How dare you.

It freaking still hurts.

The Switch and Zelda can't get here fast enough.

It should hurt. FUCK the Falcons.

If the Seahawks run the ball in at the end of the SB, and the Falcons run the ball at all in the 2nd half, the cheat is 3-4 in SBs. Would people still be saying he is the best coach ever? Can the best coach ever lose more SBs then he wins?

Yup. The great drafting Belichick had defenses that twice broke down in the Super Bowl. Who pulled their ass out of the fire? Brady. Like he always does.

Bread

Banned
and they're even closer to being 7-0 in super bowls.

JaMarco

Rick Smith has ties to Denver and I'm sure he made some calls about Osweiler. What could go wrong?
Denver was ready to give Osweiler a big contract as well, so they probably truthfully gave Smith a somewhat positive review. Which proves my point that at the end of the day no one really knows if a QB is the real deal or not until they actually go out and prove it in real games for an extended period of time.

Denver was ready to give Osweiler a big contract as well, so they probably truthfully gave Smith a somewhat positive review. Which proves my point that at the end of the day no one really knows if a QB is the real deal or not until they actually go out and prove it in real games for an extended period of time.

So Denver is trying to resign Brock, and offers him a big contract, along comes the Texans who also need a QB and they call Denver to ask about Brock and Denver tells them the truth? Why??!?!?!? What possible sense does that make. The NFL is run by nothing but nice guys who believe in fair play and winning the right way I guess.

MechDX

http://torotimes.com/2017/02/15/john-mcclain-believes-tom-savage-will-be-week-texans-one-starter/

First of all, the Texans have three quarterbacks – Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden, who won two games after the Cowboys cut him last year. I believe the opening day starter is Tom Savage, going into the last year of his contract. He cannot stay healthy. And Osweiler, who, because of his contract, everybody thought he was going to answer the problem that has existed since the franchise’s inception in 2002. The best quarterback the Texans have ever had was Matt Schaub. Matt had four good years before his meltdown in 2013. So, once again, they’re looking. I don’t expect them to cut Osweiler. I think he’ll be back; I think he’ll be a backup.

Its Mcclain! Do I cue up the Cage gifs or welcome the Brandon Weeden future??

Spinluck

Yup. The great drafting Belichick had defenses that twice broke down in the Super Bowl. Who pulled their ass out of the fire? Brady. Like he always does.

Tbf Brady was terrible for most of the SB and the defense only allowed 2TDs. Brady threw a TAINT and that's where it would've ended for most.

The defense tightened up and held up enough for Brady to come through. Then 2 years ago Butler made perhaps the clutchest play in the franchise's history.

levious

You can say this about almost any super bowl outcome. Joe Montana threw a sure int against Cincinnati that was dropped on his legendary game winning drive. He "should" be 3-1 in super bowls.

Denver "should" have gone up two scores on Washington when doug williams fumbled but the refs screwed up.

Where did this new crop of NFL fans who think that practice doesn't amount to shit come from?

Belichick has tons of practice tape on Garoppolo. By that metric ALONE he knows more about Garoppollo than any other team.

Tbf Brady was terrible for most of the SB and the defense only allowed 2TDs. Brady threw a TAINT and that's where it would've ended for most.

The defense tightened up and held up enough for Brady to come through. Then 2 years ago Butler made perhaps the clutchest play in the franchise's history.

The defense did not "tighten" up. They played the same game they were playing in the first half. Atlanta Failures just played like they already won on offense and didn't press the ball down the field. Levious is right about "coulda shoulda woulda" but if the Falcons spent more time eating clock and less derping around stopping the clock with low yield throws they would have won that game.

Tom Penny

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in losing the AFC Championship to the hated cheatingest team in the league but I have perspective - my coach (who totally should be fired by the way) has coached his team to further and further rounds in the playoffs (despite inconsistent as usual QB play). Tomlin kept this team competitive during a complete defensive rebuild. He may not be Belichick (no one in the league is) but he's next in line, and I will argue that with anybody.
It's amazing that people that analyze drafts all have the Pats as a top ten drafting team the last 15 years. A simple Google search will show you that. You should write and article and prove them all wrong. What's even more funny is the Pats have been shitting all over the league despite constantly drafting late because they are busy getting to the SB getting or the AFC title game nearly every year.

JaMarco

So Denever is trying to resign Brock, and offers him a big contract, along comes the Texans who also need a QB and they call Denver to ask about Brock and Denver tells them the truth? Why??!?!?!? What possible sense does that make. The NFL is run by nothing but nice guys who believe in fair play and winning the right way I guess.
The point was that Denver saw Osweiler practice for years and evidently had no clue either that he is fucking trash.

Bread

Banned

He really wasn't terrible at all outside of the pick 6.

Spinluck

The point was that Denver saw Osweiler practice for years and evidently had no clue either that he is fucking trash.

They knew when they benched him for a 39 year old washed up QB with a noodle arm.

Denver wasn't really in the shop for a good QB. There were none available.

Denver benched him the year before for the corpse of Manning. They also could have tagged him but didnt. They definitely knew he sucked, they just didnt have any other option and made a desperate move to keep him. Hell they traded for butt fumble after losing Brock and everyone knows he sucks.

levious

If you're trying to say that teams have equal knowledge about every nfl player then you literally have no point.

It's amazing that people that analyze drafts all have the Pats as a top ten drafting team the last 15 years. A simple Google search will show you that. You should write and article and prove them all wrong. What's even more funny is the Pats have been shitting all over the league despite constantly drafting late because they are busy getting to the SB getting or the AFC title game nearly every year.

People that "analyze drafts" eh. You mean people that want your money and get it by making articles Put the winningest team in the league on their shitpost draft lists? such analysis!

Show me the article that says the Asterisks draft great - high performance players with high draft picks. Consistently. I've seen plenty of articles saying that the Asterisks have kept a lot of players they've drafted, and still others that give the Asterisks great grades because Brady was drafted with a 6th almost 20 years ago.

Fox318

You think Belichick is a bad GM?

He is one of the worst.

He has the best QB ever under a contract where Kraft is paying him under the table and his team consonantly gets sweetheart deals from vets looking to get a ring.

Yet his team fields below average players every week.

MechDX

Fanspeak updated Matt Millers big board yesterday. new first round mock:

ALL PICKS
1: R1P1
QB MITCH TRUBISKY
CLEVELAND BROWNS
2: R1P2
DL JONATHAN ALLEN
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
3: R1P3
EDGE MYLES GARRETT
CHICAGO BEARS
4: R1P4
S JAMAL ADAMS
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
5: R1P5
TE O.J. HOWARD
TENNESSEE TITANS
6: R1P6
CB MARSHON LATTIMORE
NEW YORK JETS
7: R1P7
EDGE SOLOMON THOMAS
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
8: R1P8
WR MIKE WILLIAMS
CAROLINA PANTHERS
9: R1P9
LB REUBEN FOSTER
CINCINNATI BENGALS
10: R1P10
QB DESHONE KIZER
BUFFALO BILLS
11: R1P11
CB QUINCY WILSON
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
12: R1P12
EDGE CHARLES HARRIS
CLEVELAND BROWNS
13: R1P13
QB PATRICK MAHOMES II
ARIZONA CARDINALS
14: R1P14
RB LEONARD FOURNETTE
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
15: R1P15
RB DALVIN COOK
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
16: R1P16
CB MARLON HUMPHREY
BALTIMORE RAVENS
17: R1P17
LB JARRAD DAVIS
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
18: R1P18
CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE
TENNESSEE TITANS
19: R1P19
OT CAM ROBINSON
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
20: R1P20
EDGE DEREK BARNETT
DENVER BRONCOS
21: R1P21
LB HAASON REDDICK
DETROIT LIONS
22: R1P22
CB SIDNEY JONES
MIAMI DOLPHINS
23: R1P23
G DAN FEENEY
NEW YORK GIANTS
24: R1P24
RB CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY
OAKLAND RAIDERS
25: R1P25
QB DESHAUN WATSON
HOUSTON TEXANS
26: R1P26
OT RYAN RAMCZYK
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
27: R1P27
S JABRILL PEPPERS
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
28: R1P28
DL MALIK MCDOWELL
DALLAS COWBOYS
29: R1P29
CB TEEZ TABOR
GREEN BAY PACKERS
30: R1P30
TE DAVID NJOKU
PITTSBURGH STEELERS
31: R1P31
EDGE TIM WILLIAMS
ATLANTA FALCONS
32: R1P32
LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

I passed on Hooker for Watson. Im such a slut. :(

JaMarco

Denver benched him the year before for the corpse of Manning. They also could have tagged him but didnt. They definitely knew he sucked, they just didnt have any other option and made a desperate move to keep him. Hell they traded for butt fumble after losing Brock and everyone knows he sucks.
So what you're saying is that teams desperate for a QB will still give up a lot for one even if there's things suggesting he might not be any good. I agree! Can't what for NE to get a top pick for Garrappolo!

"Jason Peters wants to stay & the team wants him back.They just have to find a middle ground." @caplannfl on Peters being asked for pay cut

— 975TheFanatic (@975TheFanatic) February 11, 2017

Adam Caplan saying that Peters is going to restructure his contract and stay with the Eagles.

So what you're saying is that teams desperate for a QB will still give up a lot for one even if there's things suggesting he might not be any good. I agree! Can't what for NE to get a top pick for Garrappolo!

This whole thing started with me saying I wouldnt take Jimmy cause if the cheat is willing to move him he must not be to high on him since the Pats will need a new QB very soon. The Brock case is the opposite case. There the Broncos tried to keep him, in the Jimmy case the Pats would presumably be trying to move him. Teams that need QBs dont move QBs.

Spinluck

The defense did not "tighten" up. They played the same game they were playing in the first half. Atlanta Failures just played like they already won on offense and didn't press the ball down the field. Levious is right about "coulda shoulda woulda" but if the Falcons spent more time eating clock and less derping around stopping the clock with low yield throws they would have won that game.

Bad play calling side, I think they certainly helped with the momentum swing that got Brady and co going. They weren't special, but I've seen defeneses continue to collapse with a deficit that big and they didn't. Of course Julio having to work miracles to catch, them not running in the 2nd half, and Cowardly being afraid to make any difficult throw that's not a Checkdown were deciding factors.

He really wasn't terrible at all outside of the pick 6.

Eh, by his standards I don't think he looked good early. Ball placement was inconsistent, and he kind of swallowed the ball on some downs. The receivers weren't playing all that well either, and of course the Blount fumble. The offense as a whole looked a little off and ATL just seemed to have more speed. Then again I've only watched the game once where Pats fans probably have it on re-run.

dionysus

Yaldog
Pats have a good record even when Brady is out. Brady is not bailing out a below average team. Pats good drafting is evident in their second stringers. Injuries just never affect them much. Pats have the worst draft seeding over Bill's tenure, yet statistical analysis shows they consistently are one of the best drafting teams.

Bill the GM plays to Bill the coach's strengths. Finding cheap FAs and getting the most out of them. Hoarding later round draft picks and getting the most out of them. Trying to get picks out of the final year of rookie contracts by trading them for later round picks.

It is a winning combo. Yes, with another coach these strategies would not work. But what does that matter. There is no better GM/Coach combo in the league. I hate the Pats for playing loose with the rules, but that isn't the reason for their success.

Tom Penny

People that "analyze drafts" eh. You mean people that want your money and get it by making articles Put the winningest team in the league on their shitpost draft lists? such analysis!

Show me the article that says the Asterisks draft great - high performance players with high draft picks. Consistently. I've seen plenty of articles saying that the Asterisks have kept a lot of players they've drafted, and still others that give the Asterisks great grades because Brady was drafted with a 6th almost 20 years ago.

Pats draft in the late 20's every year. When they don't they got bums like Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo and Seymour and Ty Warren.

Bread

Banned
Eh, by his standards I don't think he looked good early. Ball placement was inconsistent, and he kind of swallowed the ball on some downs. The receivers weren't playing all that well either, and of course the Blount fumble. The offense as a whole looked a little off and ATL just seemed to have more speed. Then again I've only watched the game once where Pats fans probably have it on re-run.
The offense didn't really have much problem moving the ball in the first half. They had 3 good drives that ended in a Blount fumble, pick 6, and field goal. Once they abandoned the Blount running game the offense started to hum.

bionic77

I miss football
You miserable slut.

Football is trash.

What happened to the old Greg who used to stand for something?

Speaking of this shitty sport I have to thank Switch everyday for not having a team that is closely associated with Trump. That would be pretty painful having to hate my team or even worse supporting a bunch of Trumpers.

I don't know how you Pats fans can do this and live with yourselves but maybe when your souls are so dirty to begin with it is an easy transition to Trumper.

Pats have a good record even when Brady is out. Brady is not bailing out a below average team. Pats good drafting is evident in their second stringers. Injuries just never affect them much. Pats have the worst draft seeding over Bill's tenure, yet statistical analysis shows they consistently are one of the best drafting teams.

Bill the GM plays to Bill the coach's strengths. Finding cheap FAs and getting the most out of them. Hoarding later round draft picks and getting the most out of them. Trying to get picks out of the final year of rookie contracts by trading them for later round picks.

It is a winning combo. Yes, with another coach these strategies would not work. But what does that matter. There is no better GM/Coach combo in the league. I hate the Pats for playing loose with the rules, but that isn't the reason for their success.

So your argument is that Belichick purposely finds underwhelming players with the intent of coaching them to greatness?

MYgl6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom