• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors4.php

One prospect that is creating a buzz is UConn safety Obi Melifonwu. He was one of the
stars of the weigh-in, as he checked in at 6-foot-4, 219 pounds and obviously is a dedicated patron of the weight room. During the fall, scouting sources told WalterFootball.com that Melifonwu would rise in the lead up to the draft because he is a workout warrior and was putting together a quality senior season. He totaled 118 tackles, three passes broken up, and four interceptions on the year.

Some sources believe Melifonwu could be a versatile safety with the size and speed to cover tight ends in man coverage. They also feel he can walk down into the box like Deone Bucannon and be an enforcer like Kam Chancellor. While it is very early in the process, here are five teams that are showing a lot of interest in Melifonwu: Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, and Carolina Panthers.

mmm mmmm Texans only real "need" on defense is a top safety.
and resigning my Bouye of course

I still want Brady and Belichick gone.

:jnc sure you do. I stopped cheering for the Rams and all they did was change their address.

Brady and Belichick openly supported a hateful old bigot who is going to spend the next four years making life worse for you and your whole family yet you've still been hoping they win every Sunday.

At least Bead has been consistent for the last 12 months. He is proud to endorse racism, xenophobia and misogyny, so has never wavered in his public support of the evil Pats.

You can't have it both ways, gotta make a choice one way or the other.

MechDX

Why would the Eagles be looking at a safety?

Because Howie! pokes stick at YH

:jnc sure you do. I stopped cheering for the Rams and all they did was change their address.

Brady and Belichick openly supported a hateful old bigot who is going to spend the next four years making life worse for you and your whole family yet you've still been hoping they win every Sunday.

At least Bead has been consistent for the last 12 months. He is proud to endorse racism, xenophobia and misogyny, so has never wavered in his public support of the evil Pats.

:jnc

Bread also supports like 9 teams now. He is Squicken on 11. So he always has a fall back plan

Im just here for my boys

Hindl

Why would the Eagles be looking at a safety?

The depth is pretty bad behind McLeod and Jenkins? Remember, Ron Brooks went down, and Jenkins moved to slot corner, and Jaylen Watkins took over as Safety. That coincides right around when our D went from elite to mediocre/straight shit. Jenkins and McLeod as the safety tandem were masking our CBs, but once it was Watkins back there things fell apart. And the UConn safety isn't a first round pick, at least I'd hope not. He'll probably go up the boards, but I'd expect him to go in rounds 2 or 3. If he's there in the third and BPA I'd take him. Jenkins has been having a renaissance these past few years, but he'll be 30 by the end of the season. This is a good class for safeties, so grabbing a developmental prospect in the later rounds is a good idea

Edit: And to actually prove the point, in the 2015 offseason, Chip extended DeMeco Ryans, brought in Kiko Alonso, and we had Mychal Kendricks. We were looking good at LB. Then in the 3rd round he picks this LB out of Texas that everyone was immediately pissed with, because we thought we were "set". Two years later that pick was one of the best things Chip gave the Eagles

MechDX

Im just here for my boys

bill+belichick.jpg

The depth is pretty bad behind McLeod and Jenkins? Remember, Ron Brooks went down, and Jenkins moved to slot corner, and Jaylen Watkins took over as Safety. That coincides right around when our D went from elite to mediocre/straight shit. Jenkins and McLeod as the safety tandem were masking our CBs, but once it was Watkins back there things fell apart. And the UConn safety isn't a first round pick, at least I'd hope not. He'll probably go up the boards, but I'd expect him to go in rounds 2 or 3. If he's there in the third and BPA I'd take him. Jenkins has been having a renaissance these past few years, but he'll be 30 by the end of the season. This is a good class for safeties, so grabbing a developmental prospect in the later rounds is a good idea

The defense didn't go to shit because of Watkins. He actually played ok for a backup, I thought. The bigger issue was that offenses figured out they could throw to the corners or on short routes and never have those passes contested after about five week. Jenkins coverage was ok, but he's not a CB. It wasn't a safety depth issue, it was a CB depth issue. I don't have any problem with them looking for a backup safety, but it really shouldn't be a priority. After CB the defense needs another LB or DE more than they do a safety.

Hindl

The defense didn't go to shit because of Watkins. He actually played ok for a backup, I thought. The bigger issue was that offenses figured out they could throw to the corners or on short routes and never have those passes contested after about five week. Jenkins coverage was ok, but he's not a CB. It wasn't a safety depth issue, it was a CB depth issue. I don't have any problem with them looking for a backup safety, but it really shouldn't be a priority. After CB the defense needs another LB or DE more than they do a safety.

I agree about needs where a safety is a low priority, but if at our pick in the 3rd if a safety is BPA as opposed to a LB or a DE, I'd want the safety. And I disagree about Watkins. Early in the season he was playing well, but as the season went on he got exposed. Multiple missed tackles and poor angles led to huge gains. We knew our CBs were trash but Watkins didn't do a good job helping over the top. Yes he's a backup, but I have no problem drafting a better backup that can develop into a starter once Jenkins slows down. Of course CB depth is the main problem, and theoretically if you draft a slot CB Jenkins won't have to slide in there for depth. But I think we'll address CB in FA and the early rounds of the draft. We'll probably even draft 2 CBs. And again, I'm not saying we draft a safety in the first round (unless Malik Hooker is there). But this is a deep safety class, and I think grabbing one in the later rounds would be a good idea, depending on how the draft shakes out

Eagles definitely need new CBs. Jenkins was so bad in the slot so they need to never do that again. Grab all the CBs they can and with whatever resources are left grab some WR's and De's.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Eagles definitely need new CBs. Jenkins was so bad in the slot so they need to never do that again. Grab all the CBs they can and with whatever resources are left grab some WR's and De's.

Isn't OL still a big need?

Hindl

No, our starting OL is actually one of the top OLs in the league. There was just a shitton of injuries/illnesses/lanes suspension. But even at it's worst it wasnt comparable to Seattle or Vikings. We had 5 different starters at RT, 4 at LG, and 3 at RG, with a rookie starting their first game in a few of those cases. I expect them to take some late round prospects for more depth and I'd even like a FA guard for the right price, because we have a lot of older players retiring soon. But it's not an immediate need. Its something I hope they address bit by bit in the next few seasons tho

I see this was already answered but I will say their OL was okay last year even with all the crap that happened. They need to look to replace Peters soon, plus there is a ton of talk about Kelce and Barbre being on the way out, so they definitely need to lok at OL as well. RB should be on the list as well but howie is so terrible at his job I doubt he can even fix one position in the offseason let alone multiple. Man fuck howie.

boban since when are you coming out to the dieg

I'm not planning to but I'll have more free time this summer than I normally do so I could go travelling a bit if I wanted to. Hard to say no to chilling with my good pal Christopher but I'm not going to be free until May.

You and I can go on a road trip to Nevada and crash on Yankee's couch instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom