• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Bruce Feldman on buzz from Combine

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...had-kelly-patrick-mahomes-030717?sf60811113=1

*I have gotten asked a couple of times why Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly, who was not invited to the combine, has gotten so little mention when folks discuss the 2017 quarterback draft class. Kelly has a strong arm and good wheels but he’s got a significant amount of baggage. I’m told it’s considerably worse than what has been reported.

To the surprise of no one

Two of the quarterback coaches we spoke to were skeptical that Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes would blossom into an NFL starter. “There is so much film of him missing guys wide open. I mean WIDE OPEN. He’s going to need a lot of reps to refine himself.”

TTU was basically him just ad libbing all game. Not surprised to hear he missed some things but I still think the coaches were the bigger problem

Are you guys ready for Shirtless Celebrity Wednesday?

paul-mccartney-shirtless-vacation-with-wife-nancy-shevell-22.jpg

effzee

If DJAX is a done deal to TB then Britt's probably tied with a few other guys behind Jefferey

Admittedly don't know much about him but from what I remember he was always hurt and has never lived up to expectations.

I guess if Alshon is out of their price range and they think the top WR on their board falls to them at 14 or that they can trade for Cooks this makes sense.

Hindl

Admittedly don't know much about him but from what I remember he was always hurt and has never lived up to expectations.

I guess if Alshon is out of their price range and they think the top WR on their board falls to them at 14 or that they can trade for Cooks this makes sense.

At worst he's Jordan Matthews that can play on the outside. That may sound like an insult, but just think about what our offense would be if we had another WR that could even match him. Two JMatts and Ertz...look, no one would confuse us for the high powered Steelers, cowboys, raiders offenses, but they'd be presentable. And honestly if we had even league average CB play, we'd have an elite defense. That's enough to make the playoffs, and this is a great draft for lining up with the eagles needs. Draft and do FA right and they could contend in a few years

Pepiope

At worst he's Jordan Matthews that can play on the outside. That may sound like an insult, but just think about what our offense would be if we had another WR that could even match him. Two JMatts and Ertz...look, no one would confuse us for the high powered Steelers, cowboys, raiders offenses, but they'd be presentable. And honestly if we had even league average CB play, we'd have an elite defense. That's enough to make the playoffs, and this is a great draft for lining up with the eagles needs. Draft and do FA right and they could contend in a few years
I don't believe Britt will be signed to be a WR1. He is a WR2 and Matthews is WR3. We are either going after Cooks, Jeffrey, some other WR1 who we don't know about yet, or spending #14 on Davis/Williams.

Wentz will also be the best QB Britt has ever played with, which could help boost his production.

I don't love Britt, but I'm willing to give him a shot.

Hindl

I don't believe Britt will be signed to be a WR1. He is a WR2 and Matthews is WR3. We are either going after Cooks, Jeffrey, some other WR1 who we don't know about yet, or spending #14 on Davis/Williams.

I'm for signing Britt with the thought that 14 goes to Davis. I don't think Britt is the #1, especially because of his age. If they don't get Davis then I hope they get Godwin. Honestly getting Britt makes me think they're only targeting him and no one else at WR in FA and building the rest of the WR thru the draft. Britt is a fine receiver. He's at least double our current #2+3 and he's not too expensive

kaiju

@makesportsreal
Rumored that the #49ers are very close to acquiring #Redskins Quarterback Kirk Cousins for a slew of draft picks, excluding the 2nd overall.

Fleeced or worth it?

A veteran QB that knows Shanahan's system might be worth it. A rookie QB thrown into that scheme is nonsense. Let Kyle get the QB he wants and build around that. They have the cap space.

Is Disc Jam the new Rocket League?

I don't think it's quite as accessible and intuitive as Rocket League. RL was so simple anybody could get it from the jump. Drive around trying to score goals. Sure their is a lot more depth but the basic fundamentals were much easier to get from the start. Plus the way it cribs RL's presentation so shamelessly rubs me the wrong way. It needed it's own identity.

Fleeced or worth it?

A veteran QB that knows Shanahan's system might be worth it. A rookie QB thrown into that scheme is nonsense. Let Kyle get the QB he wants and build around that. They have the cap space.

They are going to waste a season or two of a 29 year old QBs prime years trying to build up that roster to something respectable. Not sure I like that move. Love it for Washington if the 2nd overall is included.

That is gonna be a lot of rebuilding the 49'ers have ahead of them, I'd just suck it up this year and try to strike it hot with the better QB class next year. They need a lot of help

kaiju

@makesportsreal
To Clarify, Based on what I've heard around is that the 49ers would be giving up the 34, 66, and 146 picks overall for Cousins, more to come

So basically:

1. First round: No. 2 overall
2. Second round: No. 34 overall REDSKINS
3. Third round: No. 66 overall REDSKINS
4. Fourth round: No. 109 overall
5. Fourth round: No. 143 overall (compensatory)
6. Fifth round: No. 146 overall REDSKINS
7. Fifth round: No. 161 (pick acquired from Washington in 2015 trade for TE Derek Carrier)
8. Sixth round: No. 186 overall
9. Sixth round: No. 202 overall (pick acquired from Denver in 2015 trade for TE Vernon Davis)
10. Seventh round: No. 219 overall (pick acquired from Cleveland in 2015 trade for Andy Lee)

Niners keep their No. 2 plus several fourth round or later picks if the above proves true. They can also trade down No. 2 to make up for those lost picks.

So basically:

7. Fifth round: No. 161 (pick acquired from Washington in 2015 trade for TE Derek Carrier)
9. Sixth round: No. 202 overall (pick acquired from Denver in 2015 trade for TE Vernon Davis)
10. Seventh round: No. 219 overall (pick acquired from Cleveland in 2015 trade for Andy Lee)

Niners keep their No. 2 plus several fourth round or later picks if the above proves true. They can also trade down No. 2 to make up for those lost picks.

That's painful to look at

So basically:

meh I'd take it.

Wentz will also be the best QB Britt has ever played with, which could help boost his production.

I don't love Britt, but I'm willing to give him a shot.
Hope Britt is good at wr screens.

So basically:

Am I crazy or is that bad for both teams? 49ers give-up a lot of picks in a very talented and deep draft, when they have the thinnest roster in the league. Cousins will be in his mid 30's before that roster is turned around (at earliest). Redskins seem to be getting 75 cents on the dollar, and don't even get a first round pick. If they won't give-up #2, the 2018 first should be mandetory. With no QB, they are basically starting over

Am I crazy or is that bad for both teams? 49ers give-up a lot of picks in a very talented and deep draft, when they have the thinnest roster in the league. Cousins will be in his mid 30's before that roster is turned around (at earliest). Redskins seem to be getting 75 cents on the dollar, and don't even get a first round pick. If they won't give-up #2, the 2018 first should be mandetory. With no QB, they are basically starting over

A lot of the value comes from team control. The Redskins are sort of up against it too, as they have Cousins for only one more year and then have to either sign him to a long term big money contract, or let him walk. That seems like a reasonable haul for essentially 1 year of a mid-tier QB.

Hunter S.

You all best be ready... First Elway gets the title... followed by Peyton... Followed by Romo. Denver saves football careers.

Believe!

MechDX

an Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
More
#Saints continuing to talk with #Eagles, #Titans & #Patriots in a potential Brandin Cooks deal. They want a picks or someone to affect QBs

Pepiope

an Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
More
#Saints continuing to talk with #Eagles, #Titans & #Patriots in a potential Brandin Cooks deal. They want a picks or someone to affect QBs
#14 for Cooks and a 2nd. Come on Howie. Give them Kendricks, Barwin, and Curry too.

I can be fine with cooks, Britt, and Matthews.

Hindl

#14 for Cooks and a 2nd. Come on Howie. Give them Kendricks, Barwin, and Curry too.

If we get back a second I'd be cool with that. Only issue is if at 14 there was a game changing edge or LB, which there probably will be. I want to give Curry a year as the starter before sending him off, and if we're giving the 1st no players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom