• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torrey Smith for 3 years, 15M is a good signing. Low risk, even if he completely busts he doesn't do damage to the cap, and he's exactly what the offense needed, a deep threat who can stretch the field. I'm not going to pretend he'll put up 1000+ yd, 8 TD season, but it's a solid move. Especially if they land Jeffery too, or get Davis/Williams in the draft. It's a smart signing, and way better than breaking the bank for Stills or losing a draft pick to 2 years of Cooks. Think similar to when everyone was clambering for Jarius Byrd and we signed Jenkins

Jeffery reportedly wants $14m or something. No way I'd do that deal.

No issues on mobile for me...checked with some of the other mods, they haven't seen anything either. Is it a bad ad load for you? Or maybe you have a malware/browser hijack issue.

It's on my MacBook whilst using Safari. Every time I open a page or I post, it reloads, says that a problem occurred on the page and it had to reload. Don't have it on any other website, just GAF.

Hindl

Jeffery reportedly wants $14m or something. No way I'd do that deal.

I wouldn't either, but this is the latest news I've heard:

Brad Biggs ✔ @BradBiggs
Another source says #Bears offer to Alshon Jeffery is well below $13M per year. Lot of smoke out there. This will be interesting to track.
10:53 AM - 9 Mar 2017

He's asking for that but I don't think he'll get it. If we could get him for 12M with incentives for injury/suspension prevention I'd be down. Plus, I think Britt, Cooks, etc. getting locked up early means his price will drop

Mrbob

kgcVCEG.gif

Hindl

It would be a good trade on both ends and that infuriates me.

Cooks isn't worth Butler plus a 1st, even if it's 32. He doesn't even want to be in NO, they have plenty of other receivers and desperately need defense. Meanwhile the Pats are basically letting their defense, which was a huge part of their success last season, leave in FA. Cooks is good and will help Brady but this doesn't make sense for the Pats

Tom Penny

Bill knows Brady can't win without great WR... Horrible trade when both players are free agents next year. Keep the more important known commodity.

Cooks isn't worth Butler plus a 1st, even if it's 32. He doesn't even want to be in NO, they have plenty of other receivers and desperately need defense. Meanwhile the Pats are basically letting their defense, which was a huge part of their success last season, leave in FA. Cooks is good and will help Brady but this doesn't make sense for the Pats

Draft is CB deep and they know it. Could pick up a CB in round 2 or even round 3 to replace Butler. Butler and pick 32 seems like a fair trade for a high quality starting WR.

effzee

Torrey Smith is a decent pickup. I like it better than Britt.

Him, Mathews, and the guys on the current roster all add up to = ok.

Need to add Cooks and or top WR @ pick 14.

Saints take Ted Ginn Jr and AJ Klein from the Panthers.

AJ Klein is a very competent back-up/emergency starter LB, but he's no Kuechly and that showed badly when Luke was out last year

Y'all know Ginn.

[Insert Ted Ginn Dropping Passes Compilation YT Link Here]

Tom Penny

Draft is CB deep and they know it. Could pick up a CB in round 2 or even round 3 to replace Butler. Butler and pick 32 seems like a fair trade for a high quality starting WR.
It's stupid. Gimp is combing back to the offense which is better than any offensive free agent on the market. You also get rid of a player your know can play in your system vs an unknown.

Hindl

But the Pats have plenty of fine WRs on the roster already, and Malcolm Butler is a two-time SB winner and has been excellent. Cooks is a high quality receiver, but he's not Top 20 in the league, whereas Butler arguably is. And I'd say an elite CB is more important than an elite receiver. Butler for Cooks straight up is a little lopsided but better, but giving up the pick too seems dumb

Torrey Smith is a decent pickup. I like it better than Britt.

Him, Mathews, and the guys on the current roster all add up to = ok.

Need to add Cooks and or top WR @ pick 14.

Rumor is they're going after Alshon, which makes more sense. Alshon and Smith complement each other more than Cooks and Smith. Or like you said, get Corey Davis

jbug617

Banned
Raiders and Marty B have mutual interest.

That seems really bad for the Pats

Saints would have to give Butler a new contract. Cooks has 2 more years left before he gets a new deal.

Pats need to upgrade their WR. Edelman and Amendola are in their 30s. Hogan close to 30. Mitchell is the only young guy there. Also Pats not that great drafting WRs.

We don't have that much of a need at WR.

Not really analyzing it from a need perspective, just a evenness of trade perspective. Amendola and Edelman are FAs next season, and both over 30. Getting the jump this season on a WR to replace either of them next year is forward thinking.

So is Butler. Why keep Butler around this season just to lose him next? Better to draft a CB and get playing experience for him.

Duxxy3

Not really analyzing it from a need perspective, just a evenness of trade perspective. Amendola and Edelman are FAs next season, and both over 30. Getting the jump this season on a WR to replace either of them next year is forward thinking.

So is Butler. Why keep Butler around this season just to lose him next? Better to draft a CB and get playing experience for him.

I do think we need to get younger, but Cooks is a terrible fit for the team in terms of salary requirement. If we're looking at the future I would keep hogan and mitchell. Sign Robert woods. Draft McCaffrey at 32. If he works as a running back in the NFL, fantastic. If he doesn't, then move him to the slot.

edit: I keep butler around because he's good. I'd like the Pats to work something out with him, but worse case scenario he's with us for another year. I also have no interest in trading away the 32nd pick for a rental WR.

Tom Penny

cooks is a free agent next year so that helps them how when he wants his money?

kaiju

Mort just tweeted that Cousins went to Snyder and asked for a trade. Snyder said no.

It's like the Redskins' hit their darkest timeline, while my Niners finally see some light in that players actually want to come play here now. Surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom