• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravens just seem to have absolutely no direction. They need to make extreme cuts and blow it up but instead we'll hobble along for another 8-8 season and then lose our best players to free agency. There's only so long you can live off compensatory picks.

MechDX

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 7 (NYJ): Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 25: Eddie Jackson, SS, Alabama (B)
Round 3 Pick 1 (CLE): Dion Dawkins, OG, Temple (A+)
Round 3 Pick 6 (NYJ): Tarell Basham, DE/OLB, Ohio (B+)
Round 3 Pick 25: Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 28 (DAL): Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado (A-)
Round 4 Pick 24: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (A)
Round 4 Pick 26 (DAL): Chad Hansen, WR, California (A+)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Jayon Brown, ILB, UCLA (C)
Round 5 Pick 25: George Kittle, TE, Iowa (C)
Round 7 Pick 25: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (B)

Man THIS is the draft to trade down. By the time I got to the 3rd round there were still a couple Day 1 picks left and ton of day 2

Maybe we won't fall apart again with Coughlin acting as a ghost coach for the team....maybe.

BORT: "Hold my beer"

Greg

Is it Greg ? Is it?
ZBSw0On.jpg

So Howie said that the alshon signing didn't come together until 24hrs before free agency started and that the eagles were close to making a move for a wr before alshon's agent contacted the eagles. I assume the other move must have been cooks. Wonder what they would have had to give up?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I ain't appreciating that until June because that's the only month I know I won't get snow at this point

smh 8 goddamn inches minimum over the next 3 days forecast

We were forecasted for 1-3 inches in St Louis and we got like a light dusting where the snow would melt on impact with the ground so there's always hope.

I wish I could see a real winter again but apparently I brought the Texas bullshit with me.

Jarnet87

Ravens just seem to have absolutely no direction. They need to make extreme cuts and blow it up but instead we'll hobble along for another 8-8 season and then lose our best players to free agency. There's only so long you can live off compensatory picks.

Bruh you got Ozzie and his heralded BPA strat. What could go wrong.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pats would be cool with getting a 1st rnd pick for Butler (they don't have a 1 or 2) I hear. Butler is telling teams he wants Gilmore $$ ...

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/841098707311435776

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/stephon-gilmore-9820/

Good luck

I find it hard to believe somebody would give up their first AND sign him gilmore money when they could've got bouye or gilmore without the pick involved. If somebody does go crazy and offer that, I hope it's the saints and their 11th pick. Draft a stud corner or TE and sign a stop gap veteran corner to take over 2nd CB duty.

The real problem is Flacco and his huge contract. This team will be 8-8 until he retires, since I've long since given up hope that we'd ever be able to get rid of him.

It's really telling that the BPA in FA are Asterisks players yet nobody is even trying to bite. Other teams have been burned far too often by Asterisks players who are only worth a damn in that system. Hightower should have been snapped up by now but he's a majority downhill ILB pushing 300 pounds.

If Butler was the talent he's touted as teams would gladly pay a future first. These teams are always left wondering how much of his talent is him and how much is Belichick.

Also, it's good to be back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's really telling that the BPA in FA are Asterisks players yet nobody is even trying to bite. Other teams have been burned far too often by Asterisks players who are only worth a damn in that system. Hightower should have been snapped up by now but he's a majority downhill ILB pushing 300 pounds.

If Butler was the talent he's touted as teams would gladly pay a future first. These teams are always left wondering how much of his talent is him and how much is Belichick.

As a Pats fans its great when the actual system guys get paid well by someone else, fail out, and come back to the Pats for a bargain basement price, usually regaining most of their pre move skills.

Duxxy3

It's really telling that the BPA in FA are Asterisks players yet nobody is even trying to bite. Other teams have been burned far too often by Asterisks players who are only worth a damn in that system Hightower should have been snapped up by now but he's a majority downhill ILB pushing 300 pounds.

Some players worked out well after leaving the Pats. But yeah, a lot of them don't work out. Typically when the Pats let a player go, his best years are behind him. Even the ones that did work out well didn't play for much longer after leaving (Seymour, Mankins, McGinest, Law). But then you've got recent players like Collins and Chandler Jones. They both signed monster contracts after being traded. And they'll probably be pro bowlers for the next 5+ years.

So it's not exactly clear cut. I think the most worrying thing about Hightower is his injury history. I have a soft spot for him, so I have no problem if the Pats sign him to a nice fat contract. But other teams might want to pay 3/4 of what he's worth because they expect him to miss 3/4 of the season.

I think that Butler could do well just about anywhere. So I do think he's worth a first rounder. And the Patriots might be even more willing to let him go because they just traded their first and second rounders. Move Rowe over to the other spot, or bring back Revis on cheap (as long as he stays away from the cheeseburgers).

Wife admitted. Baby 2 imminent. He better pop out before the storm.
The storm you should be worrying about is the impending storm that happens before a woman has ANY baby.

As a Pats fans its great when the actual system guys get paid well by someone else, fail out, and come back to the Pats for a bargain basement price, usually regaining most of their pre move skills.

I REALLY want to see how this strategy pans out once Brady retires. Though I doubt Belichick will stick around once that happens.

Some players worked out well after leaving the Pats. But yeah, a lot of them don't work out. Typically when the Pats let a player go, his best years are behind him. Even the ones that did work out well didn't play for much longer after leaving (Seymour, Mankins, McGinest, Law). But then you've got recent players like Collins and Chandler Jones. They both signed monster contracts after being traded. And they'll probably be pro bowlers for the next 5+ years.

So it's not exactly clear cut. I think the most worrying thing about Hightower is his injury history. I have a soft spot for him, so I have no problem if the Pats sign him to a nice fat contract. But other teams might want to pay 3/4 of what he's worth because they expect him to miss 3/4 of the season.

I think that Butler could do well just about anywhere. So I do think he's worth a first rounder. And the Patriots might be even more willing to let him go because they just traded their first and second rounders. Move Rowe over to the other spot, or bring back Revis on cheap (as long as he stays away from the cheeseburgers).

It's not hard to figure out. The problem with Asterisks players isn't the team they come from. It's the teams that get them thinking "I just got a player from a championship defense". Yes you did, but that player was taught to do one thing and one thing very well on the Asterisks, but now on team X he's expected to do EVERYTHING and fails spectacularly at it.

Hightower is a 2 down ILB that's been coached to rush on 3rd downs. Why? His size and weight. Hightower isn't exactly the fastest guy and he's not going to get faster with age. Teams are wary because the days of the 260 pound ILB are long gone. You need speed in the middle, especially in a 3-4 defense. I was shocked Belichick even took him, but once I saw how he protected Hightower and his style of play it made perfect sense.

Duxxy3

It's not hard to figure out. The problem with Asterisks players isn't the team they come from. It's the teams that get them thinking "I just got a player from a championship defense". Yes you did, but that player was taught to do one thing and one thing very well on the Asterisks, but now on team X he's expected to do EVERYTHING and fails spectacularly at it.

Hightower is a 2 down ILB that's been coached to rush on 3rd downs. Why? His size and weight. Hightower isn't exactly the fastest guy and he's not going to get faster with age. Teams are wary because the days of the 260 pound ILB are long gone. You need speed in the middle, especially in a 3-4 defense. I was shocked Belichick even took him, but once I saw how he protected Hightower and his style of play it made perfect sense.

Nice insight.

JaMarco

So you're saying Belichick is the GOAT coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom