• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the Saints have to give back their original pick in the first round, #11?

People on twitter are assuming that the Pats and Saints would work out a trade if it came to that instead of the Saints overpaying Butler and giving up the 11th pick.

Duxxy3

"#Saints coach Sean Payton to AP: #Patriots RFA Malcom Butler visiting New Orleans on Thursday." - @BrettMartel

Interesting.

Well they will really be pushing their cap if they signed him to an offer sheet, so a trade would be the most likely.

So what the Pats want for Butler? Would the 32 be enough? Hard to ask for more because the saints are lacking in middle to late round picks.

Fox318

mBc2VMn.jpg

PeterGAF

Banned
The Pats won't trade butler to the saints lol. If the saints want him they can give up their 11th to sign Butler. Unless the Pats want more than just the 11th pick they have no need to trade. If the saints want him they can have him for a lot of money and the 11th. If the Pats want they can match the offer or let him go and take the 11th pick. And given the saints situation it shouldn't be too hard to match their offer.

There is literally no reason for the Pats to trade butler to get pick #32 back. Unless the Pats really, really want to get rid of Butler for some reason.

I mean, Chip doesn't allow his QBs to even audible, so you're limited with what you can do. Even if Kap could see that the play he's running is a total failure, he had to run it anyway.

Except that isnt how it works at all. Every "play" has multiple variations. They could call a halfback sweep but the QB could see the defense shifting that way so the QB would take the ball fake the handoff and then either run himself to the opposite side or throw to a wide open WR.

Pepiope

Except that isnt how it works at all. Every "play" has multiple variations. They could call a halfback sweep but the QB could see the defense shifting that way so the QB would take the ball fake the handoff and then either run himself to the opposite side or throw to a wide open WR.
The QB cannot audible out of a play though. The QB will have options every play, but he can't change the play call under chip. That was always stupid, if you have a QB like Bradford who isn't an idiot, he should be allowed to change the call if he sees something to exploit, or if he sees the play is a total failure.

The Pats won't trade butler to the saints lol. If the saints want him they can give up their 11th to sign Butler. Unless the Pats want more than just the 11th pick they have no need to trade. If the saints want him they can have him for a lot of money and the 11th. If the Pats want they can match the offer or let him go and take the 11th pick. And given the saints situation it shouldn't be too hard to match their offer.

There is literally no reason for the Pats to trade butler to get pick #32 back. Unless the Pats really, really want to get rid of Butler for some reason.

Asterisks aren't paying 2 cornerbacks 12+million dollars each.

I mean, Chip doesn't allow his QBs to even audible, so you're limited with what you can do. Even if Kap could see that the play he's running is a total failure, he had to run it anyway.

Are you sure that a QB wouldn't be allowed to audible or even keep the ball and throw if he sees a mismatch at the line of scrimmage in Chip's system?

I think with a QB who can quickly do pre snap reads Chip wouldn't be running the offense the way he did, I doubt any OC would run the same offense regardless of who you have under centre, for example Brady/Rodgers/Romo vs Kap. Kap was notorious for delay of game, and he simply wasn't seeing mismatches at the line of scrimmage quickly enough or at all, which is part of the reason there has been no interest in him during this crazy free agency period where everybody is getting signed left and right.

cdyhybrid

On the real though, if he can keep his weight manageable I like the pick up. Rawls and Prosise will still be the guys as long as they're healthy, but that's some decent insurance.

Breakdown of run plays by concept last season:

Those revolutionary numbers in SF.

jbug617

Banned
Butler is gone. I wonder if we get #32 or 2nd round pick

@RapSheet: On #Saints & Malcolm Butler: They’ve begun negotiations on a new contract & hope to strike a deal this week. Then talk trade with #Patriots

On the real though, if he can keep his weight manageable I like the pick up. Rawls and Prosise will still be the guys as long as they're healthy, but that's some decent insurance.

Breakdown of run plays by concept last season:

Those revolutionary numbers in SF.
62.3% inside zone that's fucking insanely predictable.

Pepiope

I think with a QB who can quickly do pre snap reads Chip wouldn't be running the offense the way he did, I doubt any OC would run the same offense regardless of who you have under centre, for example Brady/Rodgers/Romo vs Kap. Kap was notorious for delay of game, and he simply wasn't seeing mismatches at the line of scrimmage.
He ran that offense with Bradford and it was painful. Bradford's smart enough to know when a play is a failure, and he even said once chip was gone that it's nice to finally be able to audible. It's why he also said he never thought about following Chip to SF.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Pretty bummed about Eddie Lacy man. I loved that kid. He made some great plays for the Pack. I'll miss him.

The fuck are the Packers gonna do at RB now :(

Bread

Banned
i'll never forget our hero
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

go get the money you deserve, Elite All Pro Super Bowl Winning Cornerback Malcolm "Hero" Butler

He ran that offense with Bradford and it was painful. Bradford's smart enough to know when a play is a failure, and he even said once chip was gone that it's nice to finally be able to audible. It's why he also said he never thought about following Chip to SF.

Yes he did say that he wanted to audible and that was why he didnt want to go to the 9ers. I really think that whole thing is super overblown though. I once heard say on a single play there could be as many as 6 different options for the QB. If Chip kept calling inside run and Kap just kept running it without ever doing anything different then that is on kap. No one was saying that the offense was predictable the first 2 years. Foles is a terrible QB but he atleast seemed to understand what Chip wanted on offense. If the OL had been better during Bradfords year the offense would have been incredible. The whole point in to get into 2nd and 3rd and short and keep the defense guessing, they couldnt block though so that never happened. Kap was not a good QB for what Chip wants. He cant read a defense, his short to mid accuracy is suspect at best, and he has that slow ass wind up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom