• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Pretty bummed about Eddie Lacy man. I loved that kid. He made some great plays for the Pack. I'll miss him.

The fuck are the Packers gonna do at RB now :(

As long as whoever can pass block, it'll be fine

Sounds like we're embracing more tight ends in our offense anyway?

Pepiope

Yes he did say that he wanted to audible and that was why he didnt want to go to the 9ers. I really think that whole thing is super overblown though. I once heard say on a single play there could be as many as 6 different options for the QB. If Chip kept calling inside run and Kap just kept running it without ever doing anything different then that is on kap. No one was saying that the offense was predictable the first 2 years. Foles is a terrible QB but he atleast seemed to understand what Chip wanted on offense. If the OL had been better during Bradfords year the offense would have been incredible. The whole point in to get into 2nd and 3rd and short and keep the defense guessing, they couldnt block though so that never happened. Kap was not a good QB for what Chip wants. He cant read a defense, his short to mid accuracy is suspect at best, and he has that slow ass wind up.
I mean it came right out of Bradford's mouth. He couldn't change plays. Ya, every play has options, that's why there isn't just one receiver on the field, but when the formation is screwed, they were forced to run it anyway. Are you saying it is a mistake to let Bradford audible? Is he not smart enough to do it?

I mean it came right out of Bradford's mouth. He couldn't change plays. Ya, every play has options, that's why there isn't just one receiver on the field, but when the formation is screwed, they were forced to run it anyway. Are you saying it is a mistake to let Bradford audible? Is he not smart enough to do it?

The reason chip doesnt want the QB to aubile isnt that he doesnt think the QBs can, he clearly trusts them to pick the right option, the entire point of the offense is to go fast. Tire the D out and have the short gains suddenly become long gains. If the QB is going to stand there and survey the field before every snap and then change the play call and get the offense realigned all the time it really takes away from how fast the offense can be. This really shows how much better it would have been if Chip had gotten MM. He was used to the offense, he didnt have a lot of the old ways of thinking like having to audible the play in his head. Sucks it couldnt happen.

Pepiope

The reason chip doesnt want the QB to aubile isnt that he doesnt think the QBs can, he clearly trusts them to pick the right option, the entire point of the offense is to go fast. Tire the D out and have the short gains suddenly become long gains. If the QB is going to stand there and survey the field before every snap and then change the play call and get the offense realigned all the time it really takes away from how fast the offense can be. This really shows how much better it would have been if Chip had gotten MM. He was used to the offense, he didnt have a lot of the old ways of thinking like having to audible the play in his head. Sucks it couldnt happen.
Audibles are an old way of thinking?

Mudcrab

Butler is gone. I wonder if we get #32 or 2nd round pick

If this happens it means the 32nd pick was collateral for this trade due to the timing of Butler signing his tender and the Saints needing to get rid of Cooks before his roster bonus was due.

So ultimately it ends up being Cooks and 4th for Butler and a 3rd.

WedgeX

Banned
I skipped it last year as I was too depressed over Megatron, but might as well start the year off with....

The Lions 2017 depth chart prediction challenge!

2013 Pre-Camp
2013 Post-Camp.

Nearly a week into free agency, the Lions are always looking markedly different.

Free Agent Rookie Cut or not brought back Injured

QB: Stafford, Orlovsky, Rudock
WR: Tate, Jones, ??Boldin??, Roberts, Jones
RB: Abdullah, Riddick, Zenner, Bell
TE: Pettigrew, Ebron, Wick, Charles, Fells
RT: Reiff, Wagner
RG: Warford, Lang
C: Swanson
LG: Glasgow, Tomilson
LT: Decker, Lucas

Last year the Lions appeared to have set up their offensive line for the future with five more or less homegrown options. And then they allowed a middling 2.4 sacks per game. Which actually got worse as the year wore on. The Lions have quickly set their new line with highest-ever-paid RT Rick Wagner and former division rival RG TJ Lang. So rarely do people from Green Bay come to Detroit. The Lions have essentially have no TE at the moment, who knows how Fells will do. With Tate, Jones and Boldin you'd expect the Lions to have had an amazing last year. But Jones was downright awful after an amazing start. Boldin is unsure if he will retire. Injuries to Abdullah and Riddick leave the Lions very likely to draft a running back. With Orlovksy gone, an ever present barrier to anyone clamoring for QB change in Detroit, Rudock gets the chance to back-up Stafford and create all the QB controversy he wants.

DE: Ansah, Taylor, Hyder, Copeland
DT: Ngata, Walker, Thorton, Charles Spence
MLB: Whitehead
OLB: Levy, Van Noy, Armbrister, Worrilow
CB: Slay, Lawson, Diggs, Hayden
FS: Wilson, Killebrew
SS: Quin

The Lions defensive line seemed...weak...last year. Ansah was oft injured, although Hyder was a revelation. My personal favorite NFL player Levy is gone despite having two years left on his contract, Van Noy got traded to the Pats and immediately improved, and the Lions have basically no one else at outside linebacker. The Lions were relatively stable with Slay and Lawson last year, and ended up hurting when their nickle back Diggs went down. Killebrew looks likely to play a bigger role this year.

K: Prater
P: Martin
LS: Muhlbach
KR/PR: Roberts, Martin

Prater, Martin and Muhlbach were great last year. And as has been the case for the last decade, the Lions have no stable kick returner.

Audibles are an old way of thinking?

The idea that the QB has to stride up to the line and stand there for 10 seconds while he stares down the defenders and then decides what play to call is. When Chip has a functional OL the offense killed it the first 2 years. Nick Foles has been terrible everywhere else he went but he put up huge numbers in Philly. What you need is someone that can read the D quick and get the play off fast, way more then someone who is going to stand back there and try to guess what the D is doing and what the best play to beat that would be.

PeterGAF

Banned
Another Super Bowl 51 champion New England Patriots fan who has no clue how his team works.
They don't have to pay butler 12 million dollars. I don't know what you're getting at. They can keep him. The only reason they'd have to pay him that much is if he gets an offer sheet for that, and in that case the Pats get a first round pick and let him walk. The saints specifically aren't in a position to give Butler a contract the Pats can't match.

The only reason I can think for why the Pats would actively trade Butler is if they don't see him in their future and want to desperately get back into the first round of the draft.

Fox318

Congrats Browns-GAF on the new Geno Smith era

k6sJbLB.gif

BigAT

listening to the jontron debate, this guy is such a moron.

I was just shocked that someone named "JonTron" didn't have the most intelligent, nuanced political viewpoints. Next you're going to tell me that EatDaPussy445 is ill-informed on the Syrian Civil War.

They don't have to pay butler 12 million dollars. I don't know what you're getting at. They can keep him. The only reason they'd have to pay him that much is if he gets an offer sheet for that, and in that case the Pats get a first round pick and let him walk. The saints specifically aren't in a position to give Butler a contract the Pats can't match.

The only reason I can think for why the Pats would actively trade Butler is if they don't see him in their future and want to desperately get back into the first round of the draft.

I said it already - the Asterisks aren't paying 2 cornerbacks big money. They don't do that. The whole reason Gilmore was signed was to stem the inevitable loss of Butler. Yes, Butler is a restricted free agent - which is why the deal with the Saints hasn't made it out of principle. Butler hasn't signed his tender, and he won't until he sees that he's getting the money he deserves - from the Saints (or possibly Texans). Rest assured though he will NOT be an Asterisk at season's start.

Greg

still think they rarely used Lacy right

screen game/checkdowns creating space for him was awesome - him trying to create space for himself was not

WedgeX

Banned
I was just shocked that someone named "JonTron" didn't have the most intelligent, nuanced political viewpoints. Next you're going to tell me that EatDaPussy445 is ill-informed on the Syrian Civil War.

Did not realize that was Gary Johnson's steam handle.

Bread

Banned
i enjoy watching gaming side's heroes being proven as racists

i enjoy watching gaming side's heroes being proven as racists

I read a bit of that thread and from what I read I don't think this guy is a racist per se. He's an idiot who thinks because he's got a little fame from some Youtube show he can say anything. His whole argument got shot down when somebody (probably a fan of his work) rhetorically asked if he was the child of Iranian immigrants.

What confuses me more than anything is how this guy achieved such hero status that he could fall from a great height. Isn't his Youtube channel just him playing videogames?

Tall4Life

I read a bit of that thread and from what I read I don't think this guy is a racist per se. He's an idiot who thinks because he's got a little fame from some Youtube show he can say anything. His whole argument got shot down when somebody (probably a fan of his work) rhetorically asked if he was the child of Iranian immigrants.

What confuses me more than anything is how this guy achieved such hero status that he could fall from a great height. Isn't his Youtube channel just him playing videogames?

If you read the "highlights" of what he said he is assuredly a racist -- talking about how immigrants dilute the gene pool, for instance.

Hindl

Nah he's a racist. He debated another streamer named Destiny and this was the summary (you can listen yourself if you don't believe it):

To recap (and I'm sure this is not all of what JonTron said), JonTron said, in what he thought was perfectly fine for a debate:

- Foreigners dilute the gene pool
- Black crime in America is the same as in Africa (like, he fuckin' brought this up TWICE)
- Racial issues can be summed up via mixing different colors of paint
- Statistical data means nothing because Clinton lost the election
- Destiny wants to kill black people
- Black Lives Matter is a violent organization
- the richest black man commits more crimes than the poorest white man
- Tribalism is a valid theory
- Immigrants are destroying every single country they are let into
- America is gonna become Mexico
- Racism is over
- Muslims are organizing to make it seem like Christians are protesting abortion clinics

And Destiny didn't even fucking ask the most obvious fuckin' question: "If you're so concerned about immigrants, why do you keep bringing up blacks?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQA9GZprqM

If you read the "highlights" of what he said he is assuredly a racist -- talking about how immigrants dilute the gene pool, for instance.

Yeah, but that's what I mean. I don't know this idiot, and don't plan to, but he seems like the kind of moron who rather than capitulating digs his heels in and starts spewing garbage.

Nah he's a racist. He debated another streamer named Destiny and this was the summary (you can listen yourself if you don't believe it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQA9GZprqM

Eh, I cede my point then. I think i've made it clear that I don't really value the opinion of some loser who got famous by sitting in his basement playing games. I grew up in the wrong era dammit..

Bread

Banned
...nah go watch the video. the thing about the whole discussion is that he is actually holding back from saying his real feelings at points because he doesn't want to be "incriminated". he's got some racist ass views.

he makes comedy videos and gaming side has a very low standard for comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom