• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Fuck it. We having fried chicken this weekend!

I can start the 3rd dungeon in Zelda and now I am getting a little sad. I am putting it off though because I don't want to end.

:(

I completed the map by activating all the towers. That task alone was funner than playing 90% of games. The crazy shit that happened to me on that journey was just so fun and unexpected.

Now I'm going to complete more shrines then make my way to the 2nd dungeon. After that, Master Sword time.

This is one of the best games ever made...

tmdorsey

I completed the map by activating all the towers. That task alone was funner than playing 90% of games. The crazy shit that happened to me on that journey was just so fun and unexpected.

Now I'm going to complete more shrines then make my way to the 2nd dungeon. After that, Master Sword time.

This is one of the best games ever made...

It really is. There's always been talk of them topping OOT, but I think these mfers actually did with this game and I'm probably at best 25% through it.

Tom Penny

Ain't basic if you do it right.

I am sure the Trumps will ban "ethnic" food in the next few years anyways.

You are so lucky. Your team won the SB and the country. You will soon get your dream of everyone being forced to eat white ass bread for lunch.
I've never had fried chicken blow me away in my life and have had it pleny of times. At the end of the day it's chicken dredged in flour or cornmeal and seasoning and fried up. People doing backflips over Popeyes? Y'all crazy.

Hindl

It really is. There's always been talk of them topping OOT, but I think these mfers actually did with this game and I'm probably at best 25% through it.

Yeah I definitely have my gripes with it that are becoming more apparent as I play more, but I think it's topping my list. It also just puts other open world games to shame. It's everything I wanted an open world game to be.

cdyhybrid

msVERUE.png

Is BoTW the greatest launch game of all-time?

That whole Switch stock thread is sad sobs saying "I didn't preorder the Switch because it has no games and friend codes but now I want one because of all of the Zelda hype :("

BigAT

That whole Switch stock thread is sad sobs saying "I didn't preorder the Switch because it has no games and friend codes but now I want one because of all of the Zelda hype :("

Certainly in recent memory, but Super Mario World and Mario 64 are two of the all time great games.

Hindl

Well let's look at it's competition:

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Halo
SoulCalibur
Wii Sports deserves a mention

Any I'm missing? And damn, makes me realize we haven't had a single big launch title in over 10 years, and 16 if you cut out Wii Sports. That's a tough list but I think BotW cracks Top 3 at least

MechDX

Leigh Steinberg‏Verified account @leighsteinberg 8m8 minutes ago
More
#Mahomes is RISING! @PatrickMahomes5 13 teams have asked for private campus workouts. Pro Scouting Day not til 3/31.@TexasTechFB @TexasTech

BG! BG!

ron-paul.gif

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Well let's look at it's competition:

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Halo
SoulCalibur
Wii Sports deserves a mention

Any I'm missing? And damn, makes me realize we haven't had a single big launch title in over 10 years, and 16 if you cut out Wii Sports. That's a tough list but I think BotW cracks Top 3 at least

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Tetris (game boy )
Virtua fighter (saturn)
Oh and panzer dragoon!

Here is a list of every consoles launch games: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Man Colecovision had Ladybug and Zaxxon at launch. Those were my 2 favorite games for it. Every single launch game for the Atari 7800 went on to be a classic. I would still say that Super Mario world launching with the SNES is probably the single best launch game. I cant imagine many launch games have had the impact that Halo had. There wouldnt be an Xbox now without it and it also made FPS the dominate genre for home consoles.

levious

By 86 werent most of those classic 7800 games just older arcade ports?

Shit, shouldnt have made that argument after bringing up tetris though!

Hindl

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Tetris (game boy )
Virtua fighter (saturn)

I wasn't going to put Tetris since it had already been out for 5 years, and I wouldn't even say TP is the best launch game on its own system. Virtua Fighter is a good pull though. I dunno it's hard. I don't have experience before the NES but for my list:

Super Mario Bros literally saved the console industry in America
Super Mario World is pretty much 2D platforming perfection
Virtua Fighter revolutionized 3D fighting games
Super Mario 64 revolutionized 3D games period
Halo, like YH said, was the reason to own an Xbox, and showed FPS could work on console
SoulCalibur was the evolution started by Virtua Fighter in 3D fighting
Wii Sports goes without saying

That's a hell of a list, and looking at it I'm not sure where BotW fits in. I think we'll need to wait a few years to see the impact its design has on other games

bionic77

Best launch game?

It might be the best of all time.

Need to give it like 5-10 years before I make that call but games like this are rare as fuck. I am jaded and I cannot remember the last time a game blew me away like this. Probably have to go back to the 90s...

By 86 werent most of those classic 7800 games just older arcade ports?

Shit, shouldnt have made that argument after bringing up tetris though!

Yes they were I was just saying in terms of having a crazy good lineup the 7800 was crazy stacked. For the Saturn I would say Panzer Dragoon was an amazing launch game. Really showed off the new controller and that a game like that could be really good.

Hindl

:jnc

Goldeneye came out almost 3 years earlier.

Goldeneye worked and was a lot of fun, but no one was going to pretend that was competing with shit like Half-Life, Quake, Doom, etc. Halo showed that you can have a reasonable approximation of the accuracy of a PC. Goldeneye can't be that based on the existence of Oddjob

cdyhybrid

Goldeneye worked and was a lot of fun, but no one was going to pretend that was competing with shit like Half-Life, Quake, Doom, etc. Halo showed that you can have a reasonable approximation of the accuracy of a PC. Goldeneye can't be that based on the existence of Oddjob
Except there still hasn't been a console shooter that can compete with those.

Hindl

Except there still hasn't been a console shooter that can compete with those.

No but Halo showed it could work more than Goldeneye. And I'd argue Halo was the first big game that shifted shooter development to console first except for the most hardcore ones. What was more influential on the modern shooter, Halo or Goldeneye?

Duxxy3

No but Halo showed it could work more than Goldeneye. And I'd argue Halo was the first big game that shifted shooter development to console first except for the most hardcore ones. What was more influential on the modern shooter, Halo or Goldeneye?

Call of Duty.

cdyhybrid

I thought we were talking about the best launch game 🤔

MechDX

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
More
The #Saints are hosting #Patriots RFA CB Malcolm Butler on his visit now & there is momentum toward finalizing a deal before he leaves.

Pray 4 Bread

jmdajr

Call of Duty.

Halo2 did so much to advance online gaming, and then... Call of Duty ate it's lunch. It was crazy.

Anyhow, I bought an Xbox1 strictly because of Halo. It was the first FPS I ever liked. Didn't care for Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Turok, or Goldeneye, etc.

All I can say is the game just somehow, made sense to me. Everything else was a nauseating experience.

Fantomex

What's this disgusting shit?

Sit yo Kentucky Fried Pigeon Ass down!
5865513.jpg

Ain't basic if you do it right.

I am sure the Trumps will ban "ethnic" food in the next few years anyways.

You are so lucky. Your team won the SB and the country. You will soon get your dream of everyone being forced to eat white ass bread for lunch.

We gonna eat that bland food for the next four years fam. Goodbye ethnic food, hello chicken noodle soup. It has no taste, flavors or spices. But when the gestappo comes round the corner, I'll make sure I think its Deeee licous!

cdyhybrid

Is there such thing as a "pc shooter" anymore?

There are shooter games on PC, yes.

We were. Halo is a fantastic launch game on its own and when you consider how influential it is that is even more impressive.

What was so influential about Halo? What unique changes to shooter games did it introduce?

Halo influenced Call of Duty quite a bit

Yeah that's the original discussion, where Goldeneye isn't even relevant. And I'd argue Halo belongs in the conversation of best launch game

Well yeah, but best and most influential are two different things.

bionic77

Ironic that the very people who voted for trump are gonna have their services cut.
No pity.

You get what you deserve when you trust the Pats/Trumps.

Speaking of Zelda when is the last time people were this blown away by a game? I am guessing it was World of Warcraft but I could be forgetting something. As I said, shit like this does not come along very often. We JoyConBoyz so blessed to be able to experience this game at release!

Hindl

What was so influential about Halo? What unique changes to shooter games did it introduce?

Well yeah, but best and most influential are two different things.

Halo popularized regenerating health in shooters. That alone makes it one of the most influential shooters of all time. Games like Gears of War, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. would be vastly different if that mechanic wasn't there. It also expanded on local multiplayer shooters popularized by, yes, Goldeneye. It was among the first games where the developer formed a close relationship with their community. And it's controls set the foundation for the standardization of FPS controls ever since.

And as for the second part, I'd argue Halo is one of the best launch games of all time and one of the most influential games, as seen by the above points

bionic77

I think we can all agree that this was the best launch game ever right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udctHQ3eI6g
Sorry Yankee but console and PC games before 1985 were straight up garbage. I say this as someone who actually loved those games growing up.

Back then the only choice for a decent game was the arcade (and even most of those games were total shit).

I have been appalled by most pre-NES games on my arcade. For every Tapper there are 10 garbage ass kickman games.

levious

There are shooter games on PC, yes.

But I mean one that is a pc game first and can't truly/fully work on console? Everything just seems so across the board now.

Maybe the arma games or the that world war two series of game? I forget the name, I think the pacific one is called rising storm?

Speaking of Zelda when is the last time people were this blown away by a game? I am guessing it was World of Warcraft but I could be forgetting something. As I said, shit like this does not come along very often. We JoyConBoyz so blessed to be able to experience this game at release

As far as this forum goes, maybe San Andreas.

Spinluck

There are design concepts in BoTW that are groundbreaking imo and break away from the modern conventions of openworld game design. I don't think it's as revolutionary as some of the mentioned games though.

No game released today will ever do what Mario 64 or OoT did for games. Like, jumping from 2D to 3D, that will pretty much never happen again. But there are steps taken in BoTW that I think other developers should look at. This is the first Zelda that was molded by modern open world game design as it the first to truly break away from the OoT formula and embrace its roots.

I still need to beat the game, but I've played enough to know it is special. As someone who has played through those launch games, I don't think BoTW will shape the industry like they did. But I don't really think it needs to.

edit: thank me later JCBz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYt61ywF-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom