• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

I believe Killzone: Shadowfall should also be in the conversation for best launch game right guys!

reposters---get-out_o_405779.gif

jmdajr

What was so influential about Halo? What unique changes to shooter games did it introduce?

To me the biggest thing was, having a console FPS that didn't control like total ass. The shooting and driving mechanics just felt right.

I don't know if things like only carrying two weapons at once, vehicle controls, "open areas", or lan parties were anything necessarily "invented', but it made it mainstream.

cdyhybrid

But I mean one that is a pc game first and can't truly/fully work on console? Everything just seems so across the board now.

Maybe the arma games or the that world war two series of game? I forget the name, I think the pacific one is called rising storm?
That would be all of them.

Controllers will never be able to compete with mouse and keyboard.

Hindl

There are design concepts in BoTW that are groundbreaking imo and break away from the modern conventions of openworld game design. I don't think it's as revolutionary as some of the mentioned games though.

No game released today will ever do what Mario 64 or OoT did for games. Like, jumping from 2D to 3D, that will pretty much never happen again. But there are steps taken in BoTW that I think other developers should look at. This is the first Zelda that was molded by modern open world game design as it the first to truly break away from the OoT formula and embrace its roots.

I still need to beat the game, but I've played enough to know it is special. As someone who has played through those launch games, I don't think BoTW will shape the industry like they did. But I don't really think it needs to.

This is kind of where I stand. I think BotW is as groundbreaking and revolutionary as a game can be releasing in 2017. It'll never have the widespread impact of those games from the 90s, but to do so much in 2017 is worth noting

Fantomex

Remember when Farooq talked about having sex with himself? Yall take that L trying to get him to join your team. I'm Trumping him the hell away from RAMS gaf. Persona Non Grata. I'm building this wall.

(Farooq trying to jump the Rams Gaf wall)
ZOLA_JUMP_LANDSCAPE_detail_em.jpg

cdyhybrid

Halo popularized regenerating health in shooters. That alone makes it one of the most influential shooters of all time. Games like Gears of War, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. would be vastly different if that mechanic wasn't there. It also expanded on local multiplayer shooters popularized by, yes, Goldeneye. It was among the first games where the developer formed a close relationship with their community. And it's controls set the foundation for the standardization of FPS controls ever since.

And as for the second part, I'd argue Halo is one of the best launch games of all time and one of the most influential games, as seen by the above points

Ehhh, neither of those do much for me, but we can agree to disagree. Especially the community thing. That seems more like a right place, right time thing with the internet starting to really take off.

To me the biggest thing was, having a console FPS that didn't control like total ass. The shooting and driving mechanics just felt right.

I don't know if things like only carrying two weapons at once, vehicle controls, "open areas", or lan parties were anything necessarily "invented', but it made it mainstream.

This is mainly what I was trying to get at. Halo didn't really do anything groundbreaking. It was the Blizzard of console shooters - take ideas introduced by other people and apply 5000 tons of polish. /shrug

Oh ok. I wish I was competent with a keyboard and mouse.
It's just practice, honestly. Obviously the best players will just have freak reaction times and mechanics, but you can get to a decent level just by playing a lot.

jmdajr

This us mainly what I was trying to get at. Halo didn't really do anything groundbreaking. It was the Blizzard of console shooters - take ideas introduced by other people and apply 5000 tons of polish. /shrug

PC gamers have never really given a shit about Halo. Probably mad that Tribes didn't make as much money.

Regardless, I have enjoyed the series immensely and it has provided incredible bonding time with my bros.

Spinluck

This is kind of where I stand. I think BotW is as groundbreaking and revolutionary as a game can be releasing in 2017. It'll never have the widespread impact of those games from the 90s, but to do so much in 2017 is worth noting

The market is so saturated with talent right now, and we have indie devs doing fresh and extremely creative things ever year. Back in those days, not any talented programmer or game designer could just go out and make a game. Competition is dense, and yet here I am; a guy who's played through a shit ton of open world games... Feeling like he's experiencing something like BoTW for the first time. I do agree, we should let it sit a couple of years, but I really don't see my stance changing.

I mean I was literally looking for things to bitch about and put up my hype shield after all the 10/10 scores. I don't fret about reviews, but holy shit man. The game held up for me through all that. It's by no means perfect, and I can give you a laundry list of things I find wrong about the game. But the things done right smash that right in the fucking face!

bionic77

As far as this forum goes, maybe San Andreas.
I feel like GTA3 is the one that should be considered the greatest game in that franchise considering how it set up most of the rules and brought the game into 3D.

But in any event WOW definitely came after GTA3 and I feel like that is gamings last holy fucking shit is this real moment. And that was like 15 freaking years ago. This shit used to happen with more regularity.

There are design concepts in BoTW that are groundbreaking imo and break away from the modern conventions of openworld game design. I don't think it's as revolutionary as some of the mentioned games though.

No game released today will ever do what Mario 64 or OoT did for games. Like, jumping from 2D to 3D, that will pretty much never happen again. But there are steps taken in BoTW that I think other developers should look at. This is the first Zelda that was molded by modern open world game design as it the first to truly break away from the OoT formula and embrace its roots.

I still need to beat the game, but I've played enough to know it is special. As someone who has played through those launch games, I don't think BoTW will shape the industry like they did. But I don't really think it needs to.

edit: thank me later JCBz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYt61ywF-M
I am not sure there is any particular tech or concept that is revolutionary in BOTW.

What is amazing about the game is the fucking level design, which is really hard to explain in any context let alone in a few sentences on a message board. The scope of the game and what it consistently keeps pulling off is just fucking mind blowing.

I was reading a thread about a particular secret island in the game that has a particular mechanic that is unique in the game and it was amazing how many people found so many different solutions to finish the island. I just don't remember many games that make me think about them or want to talk about experiences I had in the game like it was some threesome a JCB pulled off on his lunch break.

jmdajr

Oh ok. I wish I was competent with a keyboard and mouse.

It's ok. I have never been good either. While shit like the NES controller "made sense" to me from day 1, this has never really clicked. At least not for shooters. Can't say why.

Stuff like strategy games, yeah..I can't see how the hell else you could play them.

Hindl

Ehhh, neither of those do much for me, but we can agree to disagree. Especially the community thing. That seems more like a right place, right time thing with the internet starting to really take off.

This is mainly what I was trying to get at. Halo didn't really do anything groundbreaking. It was the Blizzard of console shooters - take ideas introduced by other people and apply 5000 tons of polish. /shrug

Yeah that's fair, Halo wasn't the first. Hell, Bungie's own Marathon that predates Halo has a lot of the ideas Halo popularized. But I'd say taking all of those things and putting them together, in addition to stuff like standardized controls and regenerating health, are ground-breaking. It's like how the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, and people had been mucking around with tablets way before the iPad, so they didn't really invent anything new. But they took all those ideas, along with new technology, and presented it in a way that makes it much more popular. I consider stuff like that a revolution, but that's just me

The market is so saturated with talent right now, and we have indie devs doing fresh and extremely creative things ever year. Competition is dense, and yet here I am; a guy who's played through a shit ton of open world games. Feeling like he's experiencing something like BoTW for the first time. I do agree, we should let it sit a couple of years, but I really don't see my stance changing.

I mean I was literally looking for things to bitch about and put up my hype shield after all the 10/10 scores. I don't fret about reviews, but holy shit man. The game held up for me through all that. It's by no means perfect, and I can give you a laundry list of things I find wrong about the game. But the things done right smash that right in the fucking face!

Yeah that's where I was too. I was unbelievably hyped for it, but once all the reviews hit proclaiming it among the best games ever, I got cautious. I remember people saying this about previous Zelda games that were good, great even, but not groundbreaking. And I spent a long time looking at the flaws of the game, of which I have several. But none of that overshadows how incredibly well-designed and fresh the game feels. And like the Halo argument, there's not a ton that's truly different. If you describe all of the things in BotW, people can say, "ok I've seen that in game x, y, and z". You can't possibly explain what makes this game so special, because it's not one thing

bionic77

Will anyone ever get to spend the 4-5 years of backbreaking work with amazing talent that it takes to fill a world like Zelda with this much content ever again?

I don't know if this game can be replicated for that reason. I don't there is another company that can just delay a game for 2 years and spend 4-5 years with a 200+ team and collaboration with several other studies to make a game like this.

jbug617

Banned
Mo Wilkerson gained some weight.

One scout texted me a picture of a Goodyear blimp with an accompanying: “Sloppy.”
“He looked like a pedestrian with a huge gut,” another scout said. “I was shocked.”
One eyewitness simply said Wilkerson was “looking absolutely terrible.” When I pointed out that the defensive lineman has never been mistaken for Jack LaLanne, the person texted: “LOL He’s always looked terribly out of shape?”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ource=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

jmdajr

Will anyone ever get to spend the 4-5 years of backbreaking work with amazing talent that it takes to fill a world like Zelda with this much content ever again?

I don't know if this game can be replicated for that reason. I don't there is another company that can just delay a game for 2 years and spend 4-5 years with a 200+ team and collaboration with several other studies to make a game like this.

I don't know how humanity can make such cool fucking stuff, and then we elect a moron as president.

Both amazed and dismayed at our progress and regression.

MechDX

Try what again? Lol .....

I wasn't trying anything. The bolded was why I said it....

Never had an issue with Manziels talent i had an issue with his antics. The thing 99% of the league had issues with except Cleveland

Im trying to be friends with you so please stop trying to antagonize me

Fitts

Mario World is the best launch game because SNES was the first console I got on launch day, it's still the best Mario game, and it came packed in with the system.

...actually, Maybe its Halo because it made me a bunch of money running/competing in tourneys. 🤔

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wii Sports is still the biggest launch title ever if we're talking about capturing the zeitgeist and it's not even close. The runner up might be the PS2 with its launch title "DVD player".

If we're talking about the best game for gamers?

Exclusive launch titles in order for systems I owned:
Mario 64
Super Mario World (Final Fantasy 2 if we're talking launch "window")
Dynasty Warriors 2
Luigis Mansion (again Smash Bros if we're talking about the window)
Kameo
....Killzone for PS4?

*big gap*

New Super Mario Bros Wii U (hate this series but still got hyped. Regrets.)

BotW is the best launch title for any system exclusive or no though. It just narrowly beats out Mario 64 because that shit blew my mind at the time.

Oblivion is the best title to come out for any system within a 6 month period after launch though. Zelda is great but it's missing that level of interaction where I can rob people of all their personal belongings in their sleep and then murder them while they weep for their loss. Basically it lacks the freedom of being a total psychopath which in turn makes the world feel a bit more limited than I'd like. Zelda is an amazing game but it doesn't have the replayability factor that made me sink hundreds to thousands of hours into Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

bionic77

Wii Sports is still the biggest launch title ever if we're talking about capturing the zeitgeist and it's not even close. The runner up might be the PS2 with its launch title "DVD player".

If we're talking about the best game for gamers?

Exclusive launch titles in order for systems I owned:
Mario 64
Super Mario World (Final Fantasy 2 if we're talking launch "window")
Dynasty Warriors 2
Luigis Mansion (again Smash Bros if we're talking about the window)
Kameo
....Killzone for PS4?

*big gap*

New Super Mario Bros Wii U (hate this series but still got hyped. Regrets.)

BotW is the best launch title for any system exclusive or no though. It just narrowly beats out Mario 64 because that shit blew my mind at the time.

Oblivion is the best title to come out for any system within a 6 month period after launch though. Zelda is great but it's missing that level of interaction where I can rob people of all their personal belongings in their sleep and then murder them while they weep for their loss. Basically it lacks the freedom of being a total psychopath which in turn makes the world feel a bit more limited than I'd like. Zelda is an amazing game but it doesn't have the replayability factor that made me sink hundreds to thousands of hours into Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.
Zelda is also full of actual gameplay design instead of the jank you get in Daggerfall games and it feels more like a living world than probably any other game that has ever been made (at least that I have played).

But choice and taste are subjective so you are not wrong for liking one game more than another. Actually you guys are fucking wrong about Luigi Mansion being some epic game. That was a fun 5 hour game that was perfect for a rental and a nice tech demo. Lets not act like anyone actually got serviced by that game.

Hindl

Maybe this is just me but I can't stand Elder Scrolls or Bethesda games in general. All of the problems people had with Fallout 4 with it feeling dated and empty are exactly how I felt about Oblivion in 2006

Nintendo needs to drop prices on some of these games. $40 for binding of Isaac is lol.

Nintendo's got a ton of shit they can do to drop prices (the console itself, a pack-in title, accessories) but 3rd party games prices are set by the publishers themselves. They're just seeing a new console with no real games and people that'll be desperate to buy anything. You saw the same thing to a lesser extent when the PS4 and XB1 launched. Isaac isn't even the worst though. $40 for SFII in 2017 is ridiculous

WedgeX

Banned
Been sitting and waiting in a jury lounge all day. And there's a dude here who has been snoring since 10am.

Bionic, would you have me on your jury?

bionic77

Been sitting and waiting in a jury lounge all day. And there's a dude here who has been snoring since 10am.

Bionic, would you have me on your jury?
Depends on your level of intelligence and how good my case was.

For bad cases you want stupid ass people (think Pats/Trump fans) as they are easy to misdirect and get to focus on the shit you want them do.

If it was a good case or something important I would want the smartest ass people on the jury.

Now you can answer your own question with the tools I gave to you. Just like Zelda!

I believe Killzone: Shadowfall should also be in the conversation for best launch game right guys!

The mp was great, just sucked that the community died so fast. I got a 2 day ps+ trial a few months ago and decided to hop back in and no one was playing. sucks that they also charge for playing against bots. Guerrilla is great when it comes to mp games though. I think that the Resistance games are slightly above Killzone but both franchises were really good.

Spinluck

Nintendo needs to drop prices on some of these games. $40 for binding of Isaac is lol.

Didn't Nintendo say that the publishers are the ones setting the prices...

Either way, they can't keep letting them do that. Straight up bullshit.

We won't see it often.

I don't think the problem with open world games is the amount of content, but instead the amount of content that is interesting and engaging to the player. Like, will you be interested with what the world has to offer 10hrs down the line? How about 20hrs? 30? 40? 50? It's challenging but I think Nintendo has nailed it.

I think I have 30hrs in and I am still discovering new shit. By this time in most open world games, you will already have done most of the same side quest or would have been bored to death by a story or something.

Jarnet87

I agree that these titles on the Switch are overpriced but if they are letting the publisher charge what they wants it not on Nintendo. They will drop in price. If some shmuck is willing to pay $40 for Street Fighter 2 then Capcom have the right to charge him that.

Hindl

Shovel Knight is fucking awesome, can't believe no one told me I've been sleep on this.

JCBz let me down :(

Shovel Knight is awesome, but it's been out for 3 years now. Figured people already knew about it. I may double dip on Treasure Trove though

MechDX

Tight Ends in the upcoming draft:

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 2m2 minutes ago
More
Njoku: Easy to love. Burst is crazy. Raw player w/room to grow. Can play any alignment. Has some drops w/big catch radius. All upside. Top15

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 3m3 minutes ago
More
Engram: WR build/WR speed. Simple route tree. Jordan Reed clone. Can't play inline, matchup nightmare in space w/speed & catch radius. Top50

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 5m5 minutes ago
More
Howard: Total package. Excellent blocker. Freak speed/length. Can move around formation. Never featured/never pouted. A+ TE. Top 10 player.

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 38s39 seconds ago
More
Leggett: Throwback, 3-down TE. Makes grabs away from frame. Big hands. Concentration is ++. Motor is questionable. Speed is avg. Top 75

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 27s27 seconds ago
More
Butt: ACL inj drops him 1-2 rds. All-around player w/avg. speed and quicks. Makes traffic grabs. Blocker w/power. Easy comp = Jason Witten

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout 22s22 seconds ago
More
Everett: Small school/small frame. Moves like a WR. Burst > speed. Very raw route runner. Ideal flex TE/h-back. Sold on upside. Top75

Hindl

I want Howard so bad. I'm going to be disappointed when the Eagles choose a CB in round 1 even though it's probably the best move

I want Howard so bad. I'm going to be disappointed when the Eagles choose a CB in round 1 even though it's probably the best move

If Howard is on the board I don't see how they pass him up. Howie said BPA and he would be it at 14. Best part is Howard can block. 2 TE sets with Ertz and Howard? Alshon outside? Yes please.

I really think they are going for weapons for Wentz. howies job totally depends on Wentz working out, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see them take a CB later in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom