• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

I haven't had any fast food besides in n out for over a month #doingit
Congrats, I think I have to eat like zero carbs because I'm so short, I've been slacking. Trying to look like Mark Walburg and Kevin Heart out here is tough bro :-(

I know if I was 5'9 or so with my current routine I would slim as a MoFo, but no excuses!!! I gotta get lean! A close friend of my just had a heart attack at 52. And heck, Brady is still playing football about to be 40,

#Noexcuses

effzee

Honestly I'm thinking if Davis is drafted, JMatt might be traded for a 3rd or something during the draft. Or if they roll into next season and Jeffery performs, JMatt walks and we stay with Davis and Jeffery

I really hope not. If they take Davis at 14 and then trade Mathews there is a real possibility that next off-season we lose Alshon to a team willing to pay a huge contract and we would be left with Davis and aging Torrey Smith.

Much rather they hold onto Mathews and either extend him now on a team friendly deal or roll the dice because with Alshon's injuries, suspension fear, and 1 year contract I'd rather not risk losing both WRs.

Hindl

I really hope not. If they take Davis at 14 and then trade Mathews there is a real possibility that next off-season we lose Alshon to a team willing to pay a huge contract and we would be left with Davis and aging Torrey Smith.

Much rather they hold onto Mathews and either extend him now on a team friendly deal or roll the dice because with Alshon's injuries, suspension fear, and 1 year contract I'd rather not risk losing both WRs.

Yeah I know it's risky, I'm just thinking they could be doing it. In a best case scenario, both Alshon and JMatt ball out (or Alshon balls out and JMatt has his usual 800-1000 yds/4-8 TDs). Next offseason there's no way we can afford both. And JMatt is going to earn Marvin Jones/Sanu money. With all the other FAs hitting next year, I think he's the odd man out. Though I guess if he leaves next year, the Eagles will get a pretty decent 2019 comp pick

Pepiope

If Alshon and Wentz have chemistry and Alshon isn't on the sideline with injuries all year, then he's coming back. I don't see a scenario in which Alshon balls out, likes Wentz, and we lose him to another team.

Hindl

Holy shit Hankins is still a free agent. Figured someone would've given him a contract by now. Maybe he's still chasing that $10M

BigAT

Holy shit Hankins is still a free agent. Figured someone would've given him a contract by now. Maybe he's still chasing that $10M

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure what the deal there is. Obviously his demands being too high are a part of it, but I figured someone would have offered him something pretty high and in his range by now. Not sure why there doesn't seem to be a big market for him.

Still hoping he somehow finds his way back to the Giants for something reasonable, but I'm not especially optimistic.

Tom Penny

Congrats, I think I have to eat like zero carbs because I'm so short, I've been slacking. Trying to look like Mark Walburg and Kevin Heart out here is tough bro :-(

I know if I was 5'9 or so with my current routine I would slim as a MoFo, but no excuses!!! I gotta get lean! A close friend of my just had a heart attack at 52. And heck, Brady is still playing football about to be 40,

#Noexcuses
I probably eat a pasta dish 5 times a week.

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure what the deal there is. Obviously his demands being too high are a part of it, but I figured someone would have offered him something pretty high and in his range by now. Not sure why there doesn't seem to be a big market for him.

Still hoping he somehow finds his way back to the Giants for something reasonable, but I'm not especially optimistic.

The longer he lingers, the better chance there is that he returns. The Giants have had a lucrative contract (though not near 10 m/yr) on the table since early into FA. He just has to sign it. Have to give it to Reese - he read the market right on Hankins instead choosing to focus on getting JPP signed.

effzee

If Alshon and Wentz have chemistry and Alshon isn't on the sideline with injuries all year, then he's coming back. I don't see a scenario in which Alshon balls out, likes Wentz, and we lose him to another team.

Yes, there is. If you take Davis, Williams, Ross, or even Howard at TE - you would have enough picks and young guys invested into the skill positions. Alshon is banking on this 1 year works in his favor where he is in line for a huge payday in FA 2018. The Eagles might not have the cap space to make it happen and might not be willing to do that if they have Mathews, Ertz, and possibly Davis or Howard. Plus they might have a top RB drop to them in rounds 2-3 like Mixon.

I figure some teams might be waiting until after the draft.

effzee

You know the more I listen to the draft talk on various networks, twitter, and from different analysts, I am always surprised by how little there is to the discussion about which team(s) are the best fits primarily because they have good coaching staffs which can build up a player.

Like with Wentz - I don't think he shows the same promise on the Browns. Or the Jets. Same with certain other positions and fits. Fits are always talked about in regard to a team's need but rarely scheme and coaching (not necessarily the HC) when it comes to player development.

Anyway, Eagles fans - say a top 5 player drops to the Eagles at 14 but he isn't a WR or CB. Do the Eagles take the actual BPA on the board? If DE Thomas or Allen or LB Foster falls to 14 do you take them?

MechDX

I figure some teams might be waiting until after the draft.

May 8th. On that date URFA become "street free agents" and dont count against the compensatory pick formula. Been speculated here thats why the Texans havent signed a single free agent that wasnt on the team last uear. They are in line right now for 4 comp picks including a 3rd rounder for Bouye

Hindl

You know the more I listen to the draft talk on various networks, twitter, and from different analysts, I am always surprised by how little there is to the discussion about which team(s) are the best fits primarily because they have good coaching staffs which can build up a player.

Like with Wentz - I don't think he shows the same promise on the Browns. Or the Jets. Same with certain other positions and fits. Fits are always talked about in regard to a team's need but rarely scheme and coaching (not necessarily the HC) when it comes to player development.

Anyway, Eagles fans - say a top 5 player drops to the Eagles at 14 but he isn't a WR or CB. Do the Eagles take the actual BPA on the board? If DE Thomas or Allen or LB Foster falls to 14 do you take them?

Absolutely I would take Foster. I highly doubt we take a CB at 14. In fact, a WR or CB isn't even my top target for the draft. I'd take Howard and Foster over any CB/WR that isn't Lattimore, and if Corey Davis isn't there, I don't really want to go WR or CB in the first since I don't think Ross or Williams would be as valuable as another prospect who dropped. And I'd seriously consider Allen right after Davis as my #4 choice, arthritic shoulders and all.

Pepiope

I think if we go WR it's Ross. If he's healthy, he's the best WR in the draft. I believe howie would take that chance at 14.

May 8th. On that date URFA become "street free agents" and dont count against the compensatory pick formula. Been speculated here thats why the Texans havent signed a single free agent that wasnt on the team last uear. They are in line right now for 4 comp picks including a 3rd rounder for Bouye
So the Texans have not added no single player who could help them team next year because they want a 3rd round pick a year from now?

effzee

Absolutely I would take Foster. I highly doubt we take a CB at 14. In fact, a WR or CB isn't even my top target for the draft. I'd take Howard and Foster over any CB/WR that isn't Lattimore, and if Corey Davis isn't there, I don't really want to go WR or CB in the first since I don't think Ross or Williams would be as valuable as another prospect who dropped. And I'd seriously consider Allen right after Davis as my #4 choice, arthritic shoulders and all.

Well more than likely, at pick # 14, Foster, Allen, and Thomas will be long gone.

Eagles will be looking at the 2nd best CB available (whether it is Conley, Humphrey, King, or whoever they think it is - cause I have seen all mocked to the Eagles and in different order as the best CBs available), the 2nd best WR available ( I think WR Williams goes in the top 10), RBs 2-5 available, and some DE/LBs who are projected to go late 1st or early 2nd.

In this scenario, you take the player who brings instant day 1 impact and to me, that is Davis at WR or a CB who starts week 1.

Speaking of CBs, what is the latest on Sidney Jones - does he come back this season at all? Or is he a pick for the 2018 season at this point?

MechDX

So the Texans have not added no single player who could help them team next year because they want a 3rd round pick a year from now?

Well that and they spent big last year and got them nothing basically. Every team cant build a dream team via FA like the Eagles did. You build a core through the draft and with comp picks now being tradable they have a lot more value especially in deeper drafts like this year

Its called getting value free agents to supplement your draft pick players they develop.

Hindl

Well more than likely, at pick # 14, Foster, Allen, and Thomas will be long gone.

Eagles will be looking at the 2nd best CB available (whether it is Conley, Humphrey, King, or whoever they think it is - cause I have seen all mocked to the Eagles and in different order as the best CBs available), the 2nd best WR available ( I think WR Williams goes in the top 10), RBs 2-5 available, and some DE/LBs who are projected to go late 1st or early 2nd.

In this scenario, you take the player who brings instant day 1 impact and to me, that is Davis at WR or a CB who starts week 1.

Speaking of CBs, what is the latest on Sidney Jones - does he come back this season at all? Or is he a pick for the 2018 season at this point?

Oh yeah I think Davis will even probably be off the board at 14, let alone the other guys. I think the Eagles may trade up to 10-11 to get their guy. But you asked if I'd take Allen or Foster over WR/CB, and I would. I'd put Davis above Allen, but Foster and Howard above Davis. I'd be ok with taking Conley, hell I've even warmed up to taking McCaffrey depending on how things shake out. But in the scenario of Foster being at 14, I don't think for a second. Hicks and Foster would be a force for the forseeable future, and in the event where Hicks gets injured, Foster can kick inside as the MLB.

And Jones says he'll be ready by mid-October, but I dunno if I believe that. He might get some playing time as a rookie, but it'll most likely be a rotational role as he tries to get healthy. If he's available in the mid 3rd, I would want to trade up from 99 to take him

tmdorsey

I can't believe you fools never told me about The Last Dragon before.

This is some shit!

I can't believe you can buy it for 4 bucks on Amazon. Not hard to find the entire thing for free either.

I got the glow now baby!

Damn the Last Dragon is a top 10 movie of all time.

That was amazing.

I'm late, but I blame work, life and Zelda.

Anyway bionic I can't believe you lived through the mid to late 80s and never saw The Last Dragon. I was so happy to find that it was on Blu Ray. Classic in every sense of the word. You not doing it though until you buy the soundtrack!

"Get your hands off my woman"

Also, I still to this day want to know what the hell was in that fish tank!

view.php

Scorpio dev kits. I love the one on the left with the clear top. Wish the final design could be like that.

bionic77

I'm late, but I blame work, life and Zelda.

Anyway bionic I can't believe you lived through the mid to late 80s and never saw The Last Dragon. I was so happy to find that it was on Blu Ray. Classic in every sense of the word. You not doing it though until you buy the soundtrack!

"Get your hands off my woman"

Also, I still to this day want to know what the hell was in that fish tank!
What a rebound year after losing football and America in my life.

Since that time I discovered simultaneously what it was like to play a once in a lifetime videogame and at the same time what it was like to be a JCB.

Then soon after by chance I discover one of the greatest action movies of all time.

Everything has changed since March and I hope this good fortune continues! If things continues on this path I expect to be glowing by the end of summer.

I already ordered the BR but I will take your advice and download the soundtrack on iTunes later today.

Hindl

I was going to say Reddick. They need help on the OL, but they also need defensive help. None of the OL in this draft are worth more than Reddick

Oh yeah I think Davis will even probably be off the board at 14, let alone the other guys. I think the Eagles may trade up to 10-11 to get their guy. But you asked if I'd take Allen or Foster over WR/CB, and I would. I'd put Davis above Allen, but Foster and Howard above Davis. I'd be ok with taking Conley, hell I've even warmed up to taking McCaffrey depending on how things shake out. But in the scenario of Foster being at 14, I don't think for a second. Hicks and Foster would be a force for the forseeable future, and in the event where Hicks gets injured, Foster can kick inside as the MLB.

And Jones says he'll be ready by mid-October, but I dunno if I believe that. He might get some playing time as a rookie, but it'll most likely be a rotational role as he tries to get healthy. If he's available in the mid 3rd, I would want to trade up from 99 to take him

I would be downright mad if the Eagles traded up. If anything they should trade down. CB talent is deep, and if you don't have a shot at a top tier player that fits a need I'd go down and get more picks. You could get a CB or an RB (Mixon? pls no) late in the first or early second. If you don't have a shot on one of Foster/Howard/Cook and Lattimore and Conley are also gone, I say move down and cast a wider net.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dak is a lot like Brady in that they both started their rookie seasons in offenses that had excellent offensive lines. It really helps. Like we might all be calling Dak a giant bum if he had gone to Denver or the Browns.

Hindl

I would be downright mad if the Eagles traded up. If anything they should trade down. CB talent is deep, and if you don't have a shot at a top tier player that fits a need I'd go down and get more picks. You could get a CB or an RB (Mixon? pls no) late in the first or early second. If you don't have a shot on one of Foster/Howard/Cook and Lattimore and Conley are also gone, I say move down and cast a wider net.

I don't think they'd recoup a lot trading back. 14 is a position where the draft could go with all the top tier options are gone. At that point who's going to trade up? They'd maybe get a 4th or something, or maybe a swap of 3rds. But I don't think this is a draft worth trading down unless you're in the Top 10

I don't think they'd recoup a lot trading back. 14 is a position where the draft could go with all the top tier options are gone. At that point who's going to trade up? They'd maybe get a 4th or something, or maybe a swap of 3rds. But I don't think this is a draft worth trading down unless you're in the Top 10

It depends who is still on the board and what needs other teams have. Trading back five or ten spots and getting a second or third, or even a player could be worth while.

effzee

If 2-3 of these QBs propel into the to 10 it might push some of the top 10 or top 5 talent into the early or high teens.

I think the Eagles should stay at 14 unless something major develops and they don't have their top 1-3 guys on the board.

Top Bottom