• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

LionPride

Banned
Kaep didn't even vote. Congrats on him using his rights. Tebow ain't in the league either because his suckyness isn't worth the other BS that comes with signing him.
Does him not voting shut down what he was protesting? Does it negate him donating $1 million to BLM? To helping efforts in Flint? To giving food and water to countries?

Tom Penny

What BS comes with him? That racists might be upset? That he might donate some of the white owner's money to black ppl? For drinking water? Or for food to Somalia?

SUCH DISTRACTIONS!

Cutler sucks and Tebow should have never been provided 1 opportunity. They both got more chances than Kaep is getting Circus freak Tebow auditioned for 3 teams after Denver. Cutler is on his 2nd team and what his 5th head coach? He has also never come close to what Kaep did in his peak.

Glennon is getting 15M to start based on absolutely nothing but yeah Kaep can't get a look.

Truth.

I'd love to have Chip, the coach, back. Instead we have Reid lite :(
Lol clearly teams perceive him as a distraction or he'd be signed already now wouldn't he? His QB play isn't worth it to them.

Furyous

Kaep can't get a look as a backup? All the shite QBs and Kaep can't get a look as a clipboard holder? Meanwhile Derek Anderson is still in the league holding the shit out of that clipboard getting paid every week to do jack shit. I bet his golf game reaches new heights every Tuesday evening.

Kaep can't get a look as a backup? All the shite QBs and Kaep can't get a look as a clipboard holder? Meanwhile Derek Anderson is still in the league holding the shit out of that clipboard getting paid every week to do jack shit. I bet his golf game reaches new heights every Tuesday evening.

Derek Anderson stays quiet and does what he's told. That's all these teams care about especially with regards to backups. It's plain as day that the only reason kaep isn't getting another chance is because of the kneeling thing.

effzee

Eagles sign Chris Long. Good replacement for Barwin, who never fit the 4-3 scheme.

Good leader, good opportunity to help, and in the case the Eagles don't get a top DE in the draft, they at least have a solid starter.

Pepiope

Eagles sign Chris Long. Good replacement for Barwin, who never fit the 4-3 scheme.

Good leader, good opportunity to help, and in the case the Eagles don't get a top DE in the draft, they at least have a solid starter.
Long and Cox playing side by side?

Hindl

Seems like he'd be a rotational guy behind Curry, but it at least gives us a body there. I definitely want them to pick up at least one DL in the draft though. And chances are they will, aside from the one year Chip was in charge there's been at least one lineman drafted in the first 3 rounds for like 9 years

And I love that draft, except I really don't want Mixon. Give me Kamara

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Derek Anderson stays quiet and does what he's told. That's all these teams care about especially with regards to backups. It's plain as day that the only reason kaep isn't getting another chance is because of the kneeling thing.

That and he's the last Read Option QB left in a league that's moved on from that gimmick. If he had morphed into a good pocket passer these past few years someone would have taken a chance on him.

Hell without Chip taking the 49ers job he might have been benched or released last season.

effzee

That and he's the last Read Option QB left in a league that's moved on from that gimmick. If he had morphed into a good pocket passer these past few years someone would have taken a chance on him.

Hell without Chip taking the 49ers job he might have been benched or released last season.

Teams are taking chances of Geno and Glennon.

I don't care if he was 1 read option QB, his 1 read is better than these clowns getting 2nd chances to have a NFL career.

Chiefs should sign him. Let Reid work with him as he did with Vick post prison. Let him back up Alex Smith again and then take over his job again.

Teams are taking chances of Geno and Glennon.

I don't care if he was 1 read option QB, his 1 read is better than these clowns getting 2nd chances to have a NFL career.

Chiefs should sign him. Let Reid work with him as he did with Vick post prison. Let him back up Alex Smith again and then take over his job again.

I am still stunned that the Chiefs havent tried to find a replacement for small hands yet. I feel like the rest of their team is SB caliber but he holds them back so much. Crazy they are going to piss away another year hoping he becomes something different. I absolutely would have taken a chance on Kap if I was andy, hell he should be number 1 in line for Romo if he becomes available.

I am still stunned that the Chiefs havent tried to find a replacement for small hands yet. I feel like the rest of their team is SB caliber but he holds them back so much. Crazy they are going to piss away another year hoping he becomes something different. I absolutely would have taken a chance on Kap if I was andy, hell he should be number 1 in line for Romo if he becomes available.

Good QBs who would be an improvement on Smith don't exactly grow on trees. There's like 10 good QBs in the NFL and everyone else has to sort of deal with what they got. The Ringer mock I read this morning had them taking Mahomes in the first but he's supposed to be fairly raw.

Good QBs who would be an improvement on Smith don't exactly grow on trees. There's like 10 good QBs in the NFL and everyone else has to sort of deal with what they got. The Ringer mock I read this morning had them taking Mahomes in the first but he's supposed to be fairly raw.

I think either Kap or romo would definitely be improvements in that offense. Maclin has basically become invisible since going there since alex doesnt throw down the field. If they had a QB who would throw the ball more then 7 yards down field it would also open up room for the RBs and more underneath stuff.

JABEE

Don't believe it was posted before. 24 hours with Adam Schefter, opening of free agency. About a 5 min long video
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/23/adam-schefter-espn-2017-free-agency-opening

It'd pretty crazy that he gives out contract information he has.

NFL Insider is a weird job of trading information.

11:09 a.m.

In the middle of Schefter's flurry of calls, Alshon Jeffery (49 Markman points) rings him, wanting to know how much money the other free-agent receivers are making. Players sometimes contact Schefter with questions like this because he likely has that information even if he hasn't reported it, as is the case here. Indeed, as they talk Schefter receives a text saying that Torrey Smith will be signing with the Eagles.

Schefter goes through the contract numbers on Smith, Jackson and Pierre Garçon, slowly, so Jeffery can apparently write them down. ”It's all about the guarantee, Alshon," Schefter says. ”It's all about the guarantee ... Your average per year could be $100 million. It doesn't matter. If they're going to guarantee you the majority of the contract, that's what you want."
Schefter asks where Jeffery is going. Jeffery doesn't have an answer yet. Schefter asks that Jeffery notify him when he does make a decision and leaves the conversation at that.

After he hangs up, Schefter explains that he helps players like that ”hoping that they reciprocate. Some people do, and some people don't. And we're going to find out."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/23/adam-schefter-espn-2017-free-agency-opening

I think either Kap or romo would definitely be improvements in that offense. Maclin has basically become invisible since going there since alex doesnt throw down the field. If they had a QB who would throw the ball more then 7 yards down field it would also open up room for the RBs and more underneath stuff.

Romo is not easily available and smith to Kaep is a lateral move at best, at worst a potentially significant downgrade. If you are going to go through all of the trouble of making a change at such an important position, it should be a clear upgrade. Kaep is simply mediocre.

Romo is not easily available and smith to Kaep is a lateral move at best, at worst a potentially significant downgrade. If you are going to go through all of the trouble of making a change at such an important position, it should be a clear upgrade. Kaep is simply mediocre.

Kap had more TDs and half as many ints last year. I also think he ability to move around better then alex would be a big upgrade. Last year in the playoffs alex only had 170 yards against the Steelers, and that is with 34 fucking attempts. I just dont see how the Chiefs feel they are going to take a step forward with alex next year. Hell just bring in Kap on a prove it type deal and let him compete, maybe having Kap in camp would push alex to play better and take more chances. I dont see how it could hurt.

go browns
#8-8

Welp, there goes the time in my life when I could say I hadn't seen Jay Cutler's ass.
I'm sorry.

Very, very, very raw.

Fantomex

Dude glides for 20 minutes. People are getting really creative in Zelda

https://youtu.be/mQBXBFzcn88

They had a massive stockpile of stamina elixirs, and used hundreds of bomb arrows to keep creating updrafts to extend their airtime, which lasted over 20 minutes.

They glide all the way from the Ridgeland Tower in the northwest portion of Hyrule Field, to Eventide Island.

The prize is 100 rupees

cdyhybrid

ProFootballTalk‏ @ProFootballTalk 2m
The report that Kaepernick wants $9-10 million per year may be #fakenews

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...epernick-has-asked-for-9-10-million-per-year/

To claim that quarterback Colin Kaepernick wants a chance to compete for a starting job and a salary of $9 million or $10 million per year would be to assume that conversations with one or more teams have progressed to that point. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, they haven't.

The source said it's ”completely false" to suggest that Kaepernick has requested $9 million to $10 million per year.

Even gregs mental state is in decline....smh

RIP Greg

Dude, just saw the first episode of Legion and.....

...it was reallly good!
The direction and those sequence transitions, soooo good. I like how I couldn't tell what time period they were in lol (I'm sure that's to reflect David's erratic state of mind).

I'M AS SHARP AS EVER, DAMNIT

TdToBsk.jpg

Dude, just saw the first episode of Legion and.....

...it was reallly good!
The direction and those sequence transitions, soooo good. I like how I couldn't tell what time period they were in lol (I'm sure that's to reflect David's erratic state of mind).

Oh you're in for a treat then! it just gets crazier from then on but the story is still easy to follow.

Beach

Thinking the Chiefs should move on from Smith to Kaep after finishing 13-3 is pretty evident in saying you didn't watch the Chiefs play all season.

Kaep padding stats ala Bortles doesn't mean anything to me.

Edit:Scooter said it better

Kap had more TDs and half as many ints last year. I also think he ability to move around better then alex would be a big upgrade. Last year in the playoffs alex only had 170 yards against the Steelers, and that is with 34 fucking attempts. I just dont see how the Chiefs feel they are going to take a step forward with alex next year. Hell just bring in Kap on a prove it type deal and let him compete, maybe having Kap in camp would push alex to play better and take more chances. I dont see how it could hurt.

He did that on a garbage team. Kaep is just not that good of a QB. He can run some and he's got a cannon arm, but he is terrible at reading the field. Alex has his warts too but I just don't see the point in moving on from one mediocre QB to another. Might as well stick with the mediocre guy you know, the one that knows your system and your personnel in then mean time draft a young guy with some actual upside (of which Kaep and smith have zero) to develop in the mean time.

I'm thinking this Ray Lewis avatar may have run its course. Maybe not, but can anyone do the fancy thing some people do with the clear background floating avatar thing with JT Dreamboat's head and body here?

X4yM8NX.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pretty neat article about a Japanese coach's journey to working at Stanford:

Despite Kawata's success at Stanford, he still harbors a larger goal.

"I still have unfinished business," Kawata said. "We have no Japanese NFL player."

According to Kawata, in order to truly raise the profile of football in Japan, more of his countrymen need to play at the highest levels in America.

"How do we make this sport better and more popular?" Kawata asked. "I realized that we need to have the Ichiro of football. Or the Hideo Nomo of football."

That will be hard to do in Japan. Facilities are lagging, and baseball, soccer and sumo wrestling reign supreme in terms of sporting popularity.

American coaches rave about the Japanese zeal for the sport they witnessed on their tours of the country. "You're speaking in a big auditorium with 200 Japanese coaches," Bloomgren said. "TK is interpreting every sentence I say, and they're just hanging on every word. But passion alone can't maximize the potential of young players.

"The Japanese college football program is not good enough to make Ichiro," Kawata said. "So I have an answer: The best way is 'Made in USA.'"

If Kawata can bring a Japanese football prospect to the United States at a young age, he figures that immersion in the competitive American system can develop the country's first NFL player.
There are two Japanese natives in college football right now: Hawaii running back Genta Ito and UCLA offensive lineman Gyo Shojima, who earned a preferred walk-on spot with the Bruins.

"The next step is to get a scholarship kid from Japan," Kawata said.

Although it might not be readily apparent on the surface level, core football tenets might already be entrenched in Japanese sporting culture.

"We [the Japanese] always try to make excuses about size," Kawata said. "But we have sumo wrestlers."

Bloomgren noted the similarities between sumo and football run blocking after visiting practices for both while in Japan.

"We got to talking about all the things with the get-off in sumo and how everything is exactly the same as what we teach on the drive block," Bloomgren said. "Everything from hit low, stay low, to try to get two steps in the ground before contact, eyes in the right place, great hands and finish. ... There's just no outside zone in sumo. It's head-to-head without a helmet on every play."

There's a mentality of physical toughness that Kawata hopes can translate almost directly to the gridiron. Eventually, he wants to be a college offensive line coach, preferably one hired by one of his many former colleagues who have gone on to become head coaches.

"That would make having a Japanese scholarship football player easier," Kawata said.

Sanford believes that Kawata, who is currently taking night classes at the University of San Francisco as he works toward a master's degree in sports management, will one day get that opportunity.

"He's getting better with the language, and that's the component that slowed him down," Sanford said. "Because you have to run a room of guys, so you're going to spend countless hours in a room talking. But TK's football knowledge is remarkable."

JABEE

I think Mixon is going to get drafted in the first round or beginning of the 2nd round despite the tape of him knocking that girl out.

Some team is going to get a deal on a running back who looks a lot like Adrian Peterson running the football.

I always wonder how many things like this are just forgotten in time. How many players in the NFL commit violence like this and are just given a pass, because of how great they are as players.

I don't want Mixon on the Eagles, because of this, but I wonder if I'm being dishonest when I know this type of thing happens in every program, and I am complicit in supporting the drafting and recruitment of players who have off-field issues.

Was Adrian Peterson an abuser coming out of Oklahoma or did he only start to beat his children that he rarely sees when he was deep into his NFL career? Did everyone asking to draft Johnny Manziel or Ezekiel Elliott or Dalvin Cook or Dez Bryant do enough to hold teams and colleges to a higher standard?

I think people as a whole are okay with their musical heroes, filmmakers, actors, and athletes breaking the law as long as it doesn't prevent them from entertaining us on the field, the screen, or the stage.

effzee

Thinking the Chiefs should move on from Smith to Kaep after finishing 13-3 is pretty evident in saying you didn't watch the Chiefs play all season.

Kaep padding stats ala Bortles doesn't mean anything to me.

Edit:Scooter said it better

The Chiefs are held back from their QB play.

But even if you are not signing Kaep to replace Smith, he would be a quality backup, and Reid can work with him to see if his issues can be fixed. Him to the Chiefs was a suggestion of the type of team he would make sense for. The Chiefs aren't rebuilding and could use a quality backup/former starter.

Hindl

The Chiefs are held back from their QB play.

But even if you are not signing Kaep to replace Smith, he would be a quality backup, and Reid can work with him to see if his issues can be fixed. Him to the Chiefs was a suggestion of the type of team he would make sense for. The Chiefs aren't rebuilding and could use a quality backup/former starter.

But then why not just draft a QB? The cost is far less, and the potential upside is much higher. Kaep is 29 and you know what he is. At times he can impress, and he has the arm talent, but his decision-making and accuracy is questionable. That's not really something you fix that late into someone's career. Should he at least be a backup somewhere? Probably, especially given the talent level of most backups. But I don't think the Chiefs are the team to take him in. As Fox has said, the Jets would probably be a good landing spot, but no way in hell their owner takes him in

WedgeX

Banned
The Lions held onto Dan Orlovsky despite the fact that he is only famous for having run out of an endzone for a safety. Kap should be able to find a place.

I think Mixon is going to get drafted in the first round or beginning of the 2nd round despite the tape of him knocking that girl out.

Some team is going to get a deal on a running back who looks a lot like Adrian Peterson running the football.

I always wonder how many things like this are just forgotten in time. How many players in the NFL commit violence like this and are just given a pass, because of how great they are as players.

I don't want Mixon on the Eagles, because of this, but I wonder if I'm being dishonest when I know this type of thing happens in every program, and I am complicit in supporting the drafting and recruitment of players who have off-field issues.

Was Adrian Peterson an abuser coming out of Oklahoma or did he only start to beat his children that he rarely sees when he was deep into his NFL career? Did everyone asking to draft Johnny Manziel or Ezekiel Elliott or Dalvin Cook or Dez Bryant do enough to hold teams and colleges to a higher standard?

I think people as a whole are okay with their musical heroes, filmmakers, actors, and athletes breaking the law as long as it doesn't prevent them from entertaining us on the field, the screen, or the stage.

A great post.

I really wonder if it is going to be the Eagles. They desperately need a RB and howie has said that they are not going to worry about character concerns, and they didnt let that stuff stop them from drafting guys last year.

Hindl

I really wonder if it is going to be the Eagles. They desperately need a RB and howie has said that they are not going to worry about character concerns, and they didnt let that stuff stop them from drafting guys last year.

This quote has me worried:

"I think the first thing is not to rush to judgment," said Howie Roseman, appearing on the 97.5 the Fanatic morning show with Anthony Gargano, speaking generally on character issue players. "It's to make sure that we get all the information, we acquire the information. (Vice President of Team Security Dom DiSandro) is unbelievable at doing that, getting background, digging into guys, making sure that maybe what is out there is or isn't the truth, and sitting down with Dom as a staff and him coming to us and telling us, ‘Hey, here's what's really going on, here's what happened in the incident,' and then making a call on whether they'll be on our draft board or not."

And you're right, last year a big reason Mills was available in the 7th was because of a battery charge that was ultimately dropped. He was squeaky clean his rookie season, but I was a little concerned about him. My problem with Mixon isn't just that he hit a woman, that's bad enough. But he really didn't show remorse for it until the video resurfaced and he realized it would cost him his draft spot. Now granted, it did happen when he was young, so maybe he's legitimately matured and is genuinely remorseful for what happened. But it just looks opportunistic to me. I hope that he uses some of his money to either set up or support a foundation to help with violence against women

Beach

Great post

And for the record I do think Kaep gets signed, specifically after the draft though

Top Bottom