• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Preseason is over and the Browns are undefeated.

Nothing but good can come from an undefeated preseason!

Lions were too right before 0-16

4-0
4-0
4-0

Haters will bring up the Lions but that is FAKE NEWS

Here's a REAL fact: Teams who go undefeated in preseason are 90% more likely to go 8-8

Don't let those guys bringing up the Lions bring you down.Texans went 4-0 last year and we made the playoffs! BeCleve!

In the history of the league, 63 teams have gone 4-0 in the preseason, dating back to 1946.

Those 63 teams went on to win 510 games in their regular seasons.

510 wins divided by 63 teams is an average of...

8.09 wins per year

I wish I was joking but I'm not.

foppy79

Just catching up...

Glad to see you back Kas

Was McCown's injury serious? Because if so I wonder if we can have not one, but TWO 0-16 teams! Man, the thought of that makes me giddy.

The perfect preseason aside, I don't wish 0-16 on anyone but my fantasy team

Edit-
In the history of the league, 63 teams have gone 4-0 in the preseason, dating back to 1946.

8.09 wins per year

Well shit.

WYTS Chiefs http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-kansas-city-chiefs-1798659162 Longest one yet

This team allowed the Kansas City Royals to win a championship TWICE since their last Super Bowl appearance.
We just lost a home playoff game in which we held the Steelers to six field goals. Yet it might not be in the top five of most painful playoff losses I have seen.
Near the end of the first half in our Divisional Game loss to the Steelers, I remarked to a friend, “If any team could prevent their opponent from scoring a single touchdown AND STILL LOSE, it’s the Chiefs.” Why do only my bad predictions come true?
We cut our best receiver after he skipped his honeymoon to attend OTAs.
Neat Fact: The Beatles were still a band the last time this team went to a Super Bowl.
Only the Chiefs could win 44 games in four years, be considered a favorite to repeat in the AFC, and then let the following happen:

Release their best running back (who has a history of rebounding from knee surgeries) go to their biggest rival.
Release their top WR by voicemail the week after the Head Coach attends his wedding.
Fire the GM a month before the preseason starts.
Was there any doubt that the successful two-point conversion would be called back on a bullshit holding call? No, there wasn’t. Nor was there any doubt that if there were no holding call, the Steelers would’ve marched right down and kicked field goal number seven at the gun. Rooting for this fucking team has stopped being torturous, since the letdowns are always so inevitable. We expect the other shoe to drop, and it always has.
The idiot fans here get into fights with the Seahawks about who has the better homefield advantage. Arrowhead turns 46 years old this year. It’s never hosted an AFC Championship game. The Chiefs are also 0-5 at home in the divisional round of the playoffs.
I was 9 when I watched my first playoff game, in which the Chiefs lost because their kicker forgot how uprights work. When I was 17 I watched them lose a playoff game because Dick Vermeil forgot that defense exists. When I was 28 I watched as they blew one of the biggest leads ever in a playoff game. All of these were against the Colts.
I am writing this fresh off the loss to Pittsburgh in the Divisional round because I need to tell the world that Football Hell is not the worst place to be. The Chiefs have been to hell several times and at least those awful situations provide the calming thought of future hope. Purgatory is a much worse, darker place.

Knowing that you will be good enough to compete each year but not good enough to actually do anything of note is purgatory.

Knowing you are stuck with a successful regular season coach in Andy Reid who refuses to stop calling his own shitty plays on offense is purgatory. Knowing that same coach will eventually shit all over himself come playoff time if they do make it there is purgatory. Knowing we will soon be handing him a shiny new contract extension and signing up for four or so more years of this is purgatory.

Knowing that going forward each year you need to go up against the Raiders who are actually building a good team, the Chargers who have good talent and a good QB, and the Broncos who are one of the most successful franchises in the sport is purgatory.

Knowing that the Chiefs have only really had success with other cast-off coaches from other franchises over the last 30 years is purgatory.

Knowing that the Chiefs have not had a QB that they have drafted win a game for them since 1987 is purgatory.

Knowing that in the 47 years since winning the Super Bowl in the 1969 season the Chiefs have won exactly 4 playoff games is purgatory.

Knowing that the only four seasons for which the Chiefs have ever earned a playoff BYE they had a combined regular season home record of 30 and 2 but also lost in their very first playoff outing in all 4 of those seasons is ridiculous purgatory.

Ah back to my penance..

Oh we won.. wow that was shocking

Hogan threw 2 tds? Huh?

We went undefeated... I don't.. know how to feel about this..

8.09 wins per year

Holy shit... BG!!! BG!!! It's happening

Honestly I can't make this 8-8 shit up anymore. The prophecy
tumblr_orb6f5TRyy1tf70vho1_500.gif
This is why we made you our prophet

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's no way my Browns can go 8-8 and fulfill the prophecy this season. Because they are going 11-5 and winning the division.

I'm failing to find the analysis here that leads to a vast majority of the losses he listed not being stafford's fault. In most of those losses Stafford's numbers aren't any better than what I'd expect out of a backup QB. Those stats hardly look good for a QB in the mid 90's, let alone a post Peyton-era QB, where everybody's finding ways to play uber efficiently and without making terrible mistakes.

In a lot of those losses the excuse seems to be "well why couldn't his defense keep the points down?". How can his defense keep up when he's throwing interceptions and keeping low completion rates and/or low YPA rates, likely giving the other team short fields to work with? And "his defense sucks" seems to be the response too often when playing teams like the Saints, who's defense also sucks. You can't go +1 TD vs ints and expect to beat a team like the Saints in their best years. Or even the past 3 years.

At the end of the day, his stats against losing record teams isn't even that good. A 2/1 TD/INT ratio is NOT good enough in the modern NFL. Brady threw 14/1 last year. Rodgers was like 7/1 in a year where he wasn't very good the first half of the year. Matt Ryan's ratio was 5/1 and, up until last year, nobody considered him markedly better than Stafford. Even in one of his most inefficient years, Brees threw better than 2/1. It's 2017, not 1997. Stafford's stats straight up aren't good enough. And his playoff stats are laughable. Even if his team is bad, he needs to be better than that.

We can sit here and play the "his teams sucked"/"it's a team game" card forever, but every great QB in the history of the league has elevated their team's play to be a contender for at least a few seasons. Stafford was a #1 overall pick. He currently lays claim to the biggest Contract in the league. He HAS had years where there was decent enough talent around him.

If Stafford was to have a more modest contract I would be willing to cut him some slack. But if you're going to get paid like you're the best player in the league, you better PROVE it. Stafford has done nothing to prove he's an elite QB. I'm not sure he's even top 10 in the league right now. You can't take up that big of a chunk of your team's salary cap and then throw your hands up and say "my teams not good enough to win!". If that's the case then you need to cut your salary in half so your team can fucking afford some better players.
God damn you sir are dead right with this analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom