• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 3 |OT| An Epidemic of "Leakyolinitus" has Broken Out

Rvaan

Banned
Man Im so damn tired of "moral victories" vs the fucking Patriots.

With that said I am starting to believe I may have been wrong about Watson. I didnt think the kid had the physical abilities to have good success in the NFL but damn if he didnt make some fucking impressive throws today. I never doubted his "moxie" or drive but Ill be damned if for most of the game today he stood in the pocket, made his reads and delivered some dimes.

The improvement from last week to this week was insane. If he can keep on an upward trajectory the last 3/4's of the season is going to be fun. You could see today him developing chemistry with his skill players and them adjusting to his playing style. Look at the first play here: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...ghlights/34b55f3f-2cc6-41b4-90ac-2d5e0df4a96c He moves the safety with his eyes then just threads the needle to Ellington.

I hope they do make the playoffs and get the Patriots again because dammit I want them to finish it.

Weeks 1-2 Watson is honed in on Nuk most plays and just staring him down when he throws and panicking when the first read isn't there. Week 3 he's moving safeties with his eyes, he's spreading the ball around to other players, and standing the pocket with poise. He's getting more and more confidence as he plays and he's developing chemistry with the other players. Watson is the most fun QB the Texans have had since Schuab's prime (when he wasn't a pick 6 machine) and he gives the team a chance to win which is not something the Texans have had from a QB in the BoB era.

Milchjon

Matt Light is a bumhole

"The anthem kneeling “would have never happened during my time,” Light said. “As a guy that’s been there and helped set up the Patriot Way so they can walk in there and do what they do, it’s beyond disheartening. It’s the first time I’ve ever been ashamed to be a Patriot. And I promise you I’m not the only one.”

My boss had almost a grand riding on games this week, including a hilarious 'Patriots will win by 20' 300 dollar bet. He lost every single one.

And here in am whining about getting my ass kicked in pick'em leagues.

Agreed

DKh5UtxVwAA_3ch.jpg

Awesome.

Outside of the kicking game, that was an embarrassing effort from every single person on the Raiders sideline.

Offensive Line: Dominated
Defensive Line: Generated almost no pressure (this will be Irvin's last year, no dead money to get rid of him, he's overrated and overpaid)
Secondary: Massive cushions and soft zones all over the field
TE Coverage: Made 80 year old Vernon Davis look like Gronk. The TE coverage has been an issue since KNJ arrived, the writing is on the wall, there is no chance for it to be fixed until he leaves.
WR's: Zero separation, dropped balls
Carr: Erratic, poor accuracy, got Crabtree killed
Downing: Maybe the worst of all. ZERO adjustments to what the Redskins were doing. Seemed obsessed with 4 WR sets to try and spread the Redskins out time and time again when it wasn't working. Zero runs on a first a goal from the 4, just pathetic.

It's one thing to get beat, it's another to never even try. The Redskins deserve a lot of credit for how they played, but the Raiders deserve an equal amount of blame (if not more) for not even showing up.

Matt Light is a bumhole

"The anthem kneeling “would have never happened during my time,” Light said. “As a guy that’s been there and helped set up the Patriot Way so they can walk in there and do what they do, it’s beyond disheartening. It’s the first time I’ve ever been ashamed to be a Patriot. And I promise you I’m not the only one.”
I guess everybody ain’t woke

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Weeks 1-2 Watson is honed in on Nuk most plays and just staring him down when he throws and panicking when the first read isn't there. Week 3 he's moving safeties with his eyes, he's spreading the ball around to other players, and standing the pocket with poise. He's getting more and more confidence as he plays and he's developing chemistry with the other players. Watson is the most fun QB the Texans have had since Schuab's prime (when he wasn't a pick 6 machine) and he gives the team a chance to win which is not something the Texans have had from a QB in the BoB era.

weeks 1 and 2 there was no one to throw it to besides Hopkins. He had two decent tight ends healthy, ellington was healthy. Early in the game they said he had completed 11 passes to 7 different targets.

I came away damn impressed with him. If and until Duane comes back, they are going to struggle against better pass rushes, the Patriots front 7 isn't very good. But Watson made some damn good throws and some damn good plays. I couldnt tell you the last time the Texans offense converted after being 1st and 20 or 2nd and 20+ they did both yesterday.

Also he's definitely got a little Favre in him, that play where he's scrambling to his left, he stops turns and throws it across his body and across the field im thinking oh shit, no no no YES caught Texans TE.

bionic77

One reporter asked for Brady’s reaction that the player who caught the game-winning touchdown, Brandin Cooks, was booed by the crowd for being among those kneeling.

“Like I said, I’ve got a lot of love for my teammates. We got through a lot together, there’s a lot of blood, sweat and tears,” Brady said. “I don’t think it’s easy to play this sport, there’s a lot of guys who sacrifice a lot. I think you have a lot of respect for the guys who play, not only your own teammates but guys you play against. Without them, it’s not a great game. I believe in all of us coming together.”

Yet when it was mentioned that Trump said it’s unacceptable to kneel, Brady responded, “I’m not getting into any of that.”

“Like I said, I speak for myself, I believe what I believe, and you guys know me, I’m a very positive person,” Brady continued. “I try to just live by example and say positive things about people and I try to control my own emotions, and no matter what anyone said, I’m going to have a positive outlook, certainly with my teammates. We all go through ups and downs and there’s struggles and it’s life and we’re all trying to navigate it as best we can. I believe love is the greatest thing we have; it overcomes a lot of things.”

Owners have made statements saying Trump’s words weren’t positive, another reporter began. Do you think the NFL should stand up for itself?

“I mean, everybody can do whatever they want to do. I don’t care what the owners do, I care about my teammates and the belief i have in them and the love that I have for them,” Brady said. “We get to play a great game. I love playing, I never take it for granted; to come out here and play in front of our fans and to play in my 18th year is a blessing.”

Brady has been tied to Trump since a “Make America Great Again” hat showed up in his locker two years ago; the quarterback has called Trump a friend, and someone who supported him through deflate-gate, but he has not commented on Trump’s political style.

Contrast that with this:

“The idea of civil discourse with a guy who is tweeting and demeaning people and saying the things he’s saying is sort of far-fetched,” Kerr stated. “Can you picture us really having a civil discourse with him?”

“It was an actual chance to talk to the president,” Kerr continued. “After all, he works for us. He’s a public servant. He may not be aware of that, but he is a public servant, right? So maybe as NBA champions, as people in a prominent position, we could go in and say, ‘This is what’s bothering us, what can we do about this?'”

Kerr also lashed out at Trump over his attack on ex-NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick and other players who are taking a knee during the national anthem.

“How about the irony of, ‘Free speech is fine if you’re a neo-Nazi chanting hate slogans, but free speech is not allowed to kneel in protest?'” Kerr added. “No matter how many times a football player says, ‘I honor our military, but I’m protesting police brutality and racial inequality,’ it doesn’t matter. Nationalists are saying, ‘You’re disrespecting our flag.’ Well, you know what else is disrespectful to our flag? Racism. And one’s way worse than the other.”

Steve Kerr is a true JCB.

Tom Brady is a mark ass buster.

Don't understand how anyone can still cheer for that asshole.

jbug617

Banned
Brady comments this morning.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady directly addressed remarks by President Donald Trump on Monday morning, saying, "I certainly disagree with what he said. I thought it was just divisive.

During his radio interview Monday, Brady was asked if he thought Trump had bigger things to worry about than whether a player kneels during the national anthem. After saying he disagreed with Trump's remarks, Brady added, "I just want to support my teammates. I'm never one that says, 'Oh, that's wrong or that's right.' But I do believe in what I believe in, and I believe in bringing people together and respect and love and trust. Those are the values that my parents instilled in me and that's how I try to live every day.

"I've been blessed to be in a locker room with guys from all over the United States over the course of my career. Some of my great friends are from Florida, Virginia, New York, Montana, Colorado, Texas. I think one thing about football is that it brings so many guys together, guys that you would never have the opportunity to be around, whether it was in college and all the way into the pros. We're all different. We're all unique. That's what makes us all so special."

Brady was asked if he had ever had conversations with teammates who had questions about his friendship with Trump, and he said that has not happened.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...president-donald-trump-comments-just-divisive

Rvaan

Banned
weeks 1 and 2 there was no one to throw it to besides Hopkins. He had two decent tight ends healthy, ellington was healthy. Early in the game they said he had completed 11 passes to 7 different targets.

I came away damn impressed with him. If and until Duane comes back, they are going to struggle against better pass rushes, the Patriots front 7 isn't very good. But Watson made some damn good throws and some damn good plays. I couldnt tell you the last time the Texans offense converted after being 1st and 20 or 2nd and 20+ they did both yesterday.

Also he's definitely got a little Favre in him, that play where he's scrambling to his left, he stops turns and throws it across his body and across the field im thinking oh shit, no no no YES caught Texans TE.

I was so scared when he did that crossbody throw. I was ready for that to be a pick. I was not ready for Griffin to catch that.

Speaking about his scrambling, I love that he knows to avoid the hits when necessary. He'll slide or go out of bounds when the defender is coming to blow him up . You can't win the game if you are on the trainer's table.

Ric Flair

Banned
Matt Light is a bumhole

If your ashamed to be a Patriot because someone on your team chooses to voice their opinion on racial equality, you need to seriously take a good, hard look in the mirror.

bionic77

Did your boy Ben say anything
Ain't my boy.

Pay attention you little degenerate.

JCBs have ditched the NFL and replaced it with the NBA.

I haven't watched a second of the Steelers this year. I did see two quarters of the Eagles. But only because I was at my sisters house and they were watching the game. That has been my football season.

gutshot

For those complaining about Doug's 4th and 8 call....

sHYfWxt.png

I love that Doug is using analytics to determine when to go for it and not just going with "his gut".

I wish I could find a better version of Derek Wolfe's interview from SportsCenter last night, but I can't. Here's shitty quality from some Trump supporter's (not Tom Brady's) Twitter: https://twitter.com/craigsbs/status/912194483177054208
"White privilege? What does that even mean?"
Other parts of the interview:
https://twitter.com/nickijhabvala/status/912054330206949377
https://twitter.com/troyrenck/status/912054065881911297

His statement from yesterday which was basically go back to Africa:
I stand because I respect the men who died in real battle so I have the freedom to battle on the field. Paying tribute to the men and women who have given their lives for our freedom is why I stand. But everyone these days likes to find a reason to protest and that’s their right. It's America and you are free to speak your mind. I just feel it's disrespectful to the ones who sacrificed their lives and it's maybe the wrong platform. But like I said to each their own it's AMERICA! The greatest country in the world and if you don't think we are the greatest country in the world and you reside here, then why do you stay? A lot worse places in the world to call home. Proud to be an American.

Zeke

Big shock jerry isn't about the protest. I hope some of the players kneel any damn way fuck jerry telling players it isn't the place.

Hindl

For those complaining about Doug's 4th and 8 call....

sHYfWxt.png

I love that Doug is using analytics to determine when to go for it and not just going with "his gut".

Thank you, it was the right call.

Also, I watched the condensed replay, a ton of Eagles-GAF yesterday was saying Doug's playcalling was abysmal and they wanted him fired. I thought he did fine? It wasn't outstanding or anything but his playcalling was fine, he adapted to the game, and his clock management was good. The Giants committed to stopping the pass, and Wentz was having an off day anyway, so he ran the ball down their throats. He rotated his backs well, and while it was odd the LG switch had to happen in the game and not practice, he at least identified early Warmack wasn't working out and switched in Wis. I don't get it, what was the big issue yesterday?

gutshot

Thank you, it was the right call.

Also, I watched the condensed replay, a ton of Eagles-GAF yesterday was saying Doug's playcalling was abysmal and they wanted him fired. I thought he did fine? It wasn't outstanding or anything but his playcalling was fine, he adapted to the game, and his clock management was good. The Giants committed to stopping the pass, and Wentz was having an off day anyway, so he ran the ball down their throats. He rotated his backs well, and while it was odd the LG switch had to happen in the game and not practice, he at least identified early Warmack wasn't working out and switched in Wis. I don't get it, what was the big issue yesterday?

I found the RB rotation very puzzling. Blount was running well early on, then for some reason they mothballed him. Meanwhile, you have UDFA Corey Clement running key plays late in the 4th. He nearly fumbled the exchange at one point. Why not have the veteran RB in there? Not sure if the rotation is on him or Duce, but it was strange.

The LG thing was weird, but yeah, it looked like they realized Warmack was struggling and made the switch to Wis. I think Warmack came in for one series after they switched to Wis, which made people think it was some sort of rotation. But I'm assuming Wis was just shaken up a bit? In any case, Wis played well and should probably be the starter going forward.

Overall, I thought Doug's insistence on running the ball nearly cost the Eagles the game. I think a more aggressive early game approach could have buried the Giants and then you switch to the run to protect your lead. Instead, they decided to be "balanced" and as a result only scored 14 points through the first 3 quarters.

Beach

Tbh Brady is doing more than I expected. Hope to see it continue.

Raiders loss doesn't feel that bad the morning after when the Donks, Steelers, Ravens, Texans, Dolphins lost.

The Chiefs are a better team than us and that's a fact. Mack (and maybe Joseph) is the only player that would start on a healthy Chiefs defense. The division is theirs.

They came out thinking they can boss the Redskins around and needed a lot of humbling.

Good game Redskins fans. Wish we paid an extra 250k for Zach Brown but what can you do.

The Broncos didn't look good at all yesterday. The Bills seemed to have a lot go their way yesterday so I'm not too down on this team but it's clear that Siemeon needs to be playing with a lead to win.

JABEE

Jason Lockhart Communications Director of the NFL went after Trump.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart: "Yesterday was an important day for the league, and we think a good one."

More Lockhart: "Looking at yesterday, everyone should know, including the president, that this is what real locker room talk is."

Lockhart also takes issue with Trump's criticism of league's emphasis on safety. "An outdated and wrongheaded position."

NFL's Lockhart: "There’ll be no discipline handed down this week for anyone who was not there" for anthems Sunday.

Lacanfora

As to where league goes from here, NFL notes "going from protest to progress." notes Commish meeting w/M Jenkins, T Smith, C Long in PHI...

NFL says it will continue to get a better sense of what players are doing in community for equality, voting rights issues

Lockhart says NFL working on community events to be done around league next month. Says that planning began before Trump's remarks

Big shock jerry isn't about the protest. I hope some of the players kneel any damn way fuck jerry telling players it isn't the place.

Didn't Jurrah Jones say he'd release any player that took the knee?

Would he put his money where his big mouth is if Dak or Zeke knelt, I wonder?
Wish either or both would just to see what would happen.

Also: Case Keenum jerseys are sold out this morning. Cougar Pride! :D

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Packers won and it was an exciting finish, but ugh I just don't feel happy about it at all.

Yeah for me it's just...same Packers coaching staff and the Bengals are a struggling team that a better team would have trounced at home.

Is this a Super Bowl bound team? Doesn't feel that way yet but I guess the season is young still

tmdorsey

Playing at Soldier Field has a -30 on quickness effect as the Steelers suffered through today.

And two tipped picks and the worst series of penalties called against both sides (OPI and the Defensive Holding were both atrocious atrocious calls) on that last drive makes the late win a wash for me.

The Lions were truly robbed by Jim Caldwell settling for field goals at home around the 30 yard line on 4th and 2 and 4th and 1 in the second half.

Settling for field goals at home is a sure way to lose close games.

Thank you sir. If you actually watched the game you would see the Falcons were going up and down the field and the Lions were at best answering with FGs. To be perfectly honest the Falcons were dominating the game until the turnovers started. Take those away and who knows who many points would have been scored. And it's not like turnovers all the turnovers were even forced. As Talon said two were fluky, tipped picks.

Sephzilla

The Lions were truly robbed by Jim Caldwell settling for field goals at home around the 30 yard line on 4th and 2 and 4th and 1 in the second half.

Settling for field goals at home is a sure way to lose close games.

Settling for field goals is bad and can come back to bite you against a good team?

nh9nOn5W.jpeg

Yeah for me it's just...same Packers coaching staff and the Bengals are a struggling team that a better team would have trounced at home.

Is this a Super Bowl bound team? Doesn't feel that way yet but I guess the season is young still

Right now they look like a team that will beat everyone else in the division and then get escorted out of the playoffs by a more complete team.

Again.

Hindl

I found the RB rotation very puzzling. Blount was running well early on, then for some reason they mothballed him. Meanwhile, you have UDFA Corey Clement running key plays late in the 4th. He nearly fumbled the exchange at one point. Why not have the veteran RB in there? Not sure if the rotation is on him or Duce, but it was strange.

The LG thing was weird, but yeah, it looked like they realized Warmack was struggling and made the switch to Wis. I think Warmack came in for one series after they switched to Wis, which made people think it was some sort of rotation. But I'm assuming Wis was just shaken up a bit? In any case, Wis played well and should probably be the starter going forward.

Overall, I thought Doug's insistence on running the ball nearly cost the Eagles the game. I think a more aggressive early game approach could have buried the Giants and then you switch to the run to protect your lead. Instead, they decided to be "balanced" and as a result only scored 14 points through the first 3 quarters.
I think Duce sets the rotation, but I wasn't too concerned with it. Maybe Blount was just tired and they were trying to get fresh legs in there. Clement did almost fumble, but then he followed it up with a 15 yard TD, so I'll forgive him. Also I think Sproles getting injured changed the plan a bit. Smallwood's gonna have to be the 3rd down back, although I thought he showed a lot of improvement. Ran hard and also had some key blitz pickups.

I disagree about running the ball. The pass wasn't working, Wentz looked rough and the Giants had excellent coverage. Continuing to pass in that situation even when it wasn't going well is exactly what people have hammered Pederson for. The run game was effective so he continued to ride the hot hand. In fact, I think the Eagles running the ball early let them win the game because the Giants D got worn out early, which let them put up those 13 points in the 4th quarter. The Giants D is a top unit, I don't think there's an issue with not scoring a ton against them, especially with how inconsistent the offense has been.

This game was close because the defense was injured to hell by the end of that game, they were on their 4th string safety, 3rd backup CB, and the best player on the DL and LB respectively were out too. Yes, the Eagles only scored 14 by the end of the 3rd, but the Giants had 0. For the most part, the Eagles were dominating that game. Then OBJ did his crazy catch shit and Ertz fumble gave them an easy TD. Can't really fault Pederson for that

The Packers won and it was an exciting finish, but ugh I just don't feel happy about it at all.

That second half was the best they've looked all year, and that's with 7 starters missing. Outscoring Cincy 20-3 in the second half. Take away Rodgers pick-6 that happens once every 7 years, and the game isn't close. They'll be fine. They start slow every year.

j-wood

I will agree that Romo is pretty great as a commentator, but I’ll agree with a person earlier in this thread that at first I thought it was a terrible homer commentator.

During there Oakland Tennessee game in week one there was a couple of times he was like “come on Oakland get up there, timeout, TIMEOUT” and I was what the fuck is this?

Sephzilla

I will agree that Romo is pretty great as a commentator, but I'll agree with a person earlier in this thread that at first I thought it was a terrible homer commentator.

During there Oakland Tennessee game in week one there was a couple of times he was like ”come on Oakland get up there, timeout, TIMEOUT" and I was what the fuck is this?

I think Romo just really gets into those situational moment and roots for whomever in the heat of the moment. I'd much rather have an announcer who shows some life during a broadcast instead of the bland style that Joe Buck or Jim Nantz have.

That second half was the best they've looked all year, and that's with 7 starters missing. Outscoring Cincy 20-3 in the second half. Take away Rodgers pick-6 that happens once every 7 years, and the game isn't close. They'll be fine. They start slow every year.

Holding the Bengals to only 3 points in the second half was definitely something that caught my attention.

On a side note, I feel like the Packers should try to swing a trade for Adrian Peterson or something. Ty Montgomery isn't really working at running back in my opinion (124 yards over 3 games) and the dude doesn't seem like he's hitting holes with any kind of speed or power.

Top Bottom