• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winston-Leftwich and Winston-Russell are not a lazy as everyone thinks

Both Russell and Winston are a little doughy and both guys played for Jimbo Fisher

If you asked any NFL fan "which QB is notorious for his long windup?", the answer would be Byron Leftwich. Winston has a windup in his delivery. Leftwich was almost comically unathletic, and Winston tested awful at the Combine

The best case/worst case comparison for Jameis is Big Ben. The problem is no one knew much about Ben when he was drafted, so no one remembers the college career and the pre-draft knocks on him. Also rape
I never said the Leftwich comparison was lazy. I do think it's crazy to compare their windups though, Leftwich's was in a league of its own with how slow it was.

Let's be real, the reason people compare him to JaMarcus is because JaMarcus was a lazy bust who was a complete and total idiot. Those are the traits they are claiming to see in Winston but they honestly aren't there. Winston is lightyears ahead of JM in terms of football intelligence and he's also a much more rounded passer. He has better accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, vision, etc.

People compare him to JM because he is a doughy black QB that busted and that's what they see happening with Winston. It's extremely lazy, in my opinion.

I think worst case he is Leftwich, best case he is Big Ben.

Kal_El

Somehow some way I want the Bears to trade back into the 1st rd and get DGB. I'm hoping for a Waynes early then a slick move to get DGB. I'm not super comfortable with Wilson and Royal with Jeffery. I think the tandem of Bostic and Mason ILB with McPhee OLB with Young and Allen on the other side. Jenkins and McDonald DE and Ratliff up the middle. Waynes and Fuller with Jennings in the nickle. Rolle and Mundy. A little depth with Ego and Sutton, Jones, Green and Washington. I don't think we're as far away as experts believe.

I am a homer though so of course i'm optimistic.

MechDX

You want us to stick with Zack attack

I just want the division to pummel the Colts into submission. If it means I have to side with the Tacks and Jags so be it.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago
Pats, Packers want to trade back RT @AroundTheNFL: Jacksonville Jaguars could trade up into late stages of 1st round
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...te-stages-of-first-round?campaign=Twitter_atn …

I-see.gif

Shocked!

squicken

Totally agree about this Petty stuff being a smokescreen. Back half of the first round is bad value and the teams there all want some team to overpay in terms of picks so they can have a guy for a 5th year. All the trade action will be early

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think Winston is lazy at all. I just don't think he has very good decision making skills. Some of the the throws he makes are absolutely stupid(especially against Flordia for some reason). I'd compare him more to Cutler with a slightly weaker arm.

JABEE

When do the Pats get their pick taken? What happens if the results from the investigation don't come out in the next 7 hours?

Ya know, Philly fans warned us about some nasty tendencies of his, and they've been right. I DO like him in a lot of situatons, but clock management, for example, is definitely one of those areas where I'm glad I shave my head.

Yeah I loved Reid, but his clock management is terrible, he can't make a good challenge to save his life, and he for some reason refused to draft WRs in the first round. I think Maclin was the only one? For years McNabb had NO ONE to throw the ball to.

bigkrev

Yeah I loved Reid, but his clock management is terrible, he can't make a good challenge to save his life, and he for some reason refused to draft WRs in the first round. I think Maclin was the only one? For years McNabb had NO ONE to throw the ball to.

The WR thing in the beginning was because he was terrible at picking them

2000: 2nd round, 36th overall- Todd Pinkston
2001: 1st round, 25th overall- Freddie Mitchel
2003: 2nd round, 61st overall- LJ Smith
2005: 2nd round, 35th overall- Reggie Brown

It wasn't till Desean Jackson in 2008 that he finally hit on a WR

The WR thing in the beginning was because he was terrible at picking them

2000: 2nd round, 36th overall- Todd Pinkston
2001: 1st round, 25th overall- Freddie Mitchel
2003: 2nd round, 61st overall- LJ Smith
2005: 2nd round, 35th overall- Reggie Brown

It wasn't till Desean Jackson in 2008 that he finally hit on a WR

And Desean was a second round. Maclin was the only 1st round WR he hit on. And now they are reunited and they feel so good.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't think Winston is lazy at all. I just don't think he has very good decision making skills. Some of the the throws he makes are absolutely stupid(especially against Flordia for some reason). I'd compare him more to Cutler with a slightly weaker arm.

Cutler with a better attitude doesn't really seem that bad to me.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago
How much do #Titans want for the number 2 pick? So much that it makes teams involved think they just want to take Marcus Mariota and be done

Cutler with a better attitude doesn't really seem that bad to me.

Cutler's problem isn't his attitude, that stuff is overblown. His problem is he makes poor decisions and poor throws. If he came off the field "Rah-rah'ing" like Tim Tebow after throwing an INT into triple coverage it wouldn't make him any better of a player.

Cutler's problem isn't his attitude, that stuff is overblown. His problem is he makes poor decisions and poor throws. If he came off the field "Rah-rah'ing" like Tim Tebow after throwing an INT into triple coverage it wouldn't make him any better of a player.

The gifs would be glorious though

His attitude feeds into his work ethic which feeds into his performance. Remember his comments last year about his lack of familiarity with the running game? All of the best QB's are motivated, driven players with a competitive attitude.

eznark

Banned
"also rape"

This pretty much sums up the amount of give-a-fuck play personnel guys have towards Winston's off the field stuff. Well done squicks

andycapps

Worst case for Jameis he is Big Ben, best case he becomes the new gold standard. It's all deadly.

Fire the Cannons!

Big Ben as far as success? I'd say that's his ceiling, not the worst he could be. Big Ben is a pretty good QB, shitty person but NFL doesn't care about that.

chadskin

bob holtzman ‏@BobHoltzmanESPN 3h3 hours ago

Was just told by a league source that Titans have talked with Browns, Jets and Rams. Not sure if there were offers made or just talking...

Titans GM Webster told me he is talking to 3-4 teams about #2 pick...some talks "fairly substantial". Wants to stay in top half of RD 1.

Webster also said he'd prefer to get draft picks back than players...but wouldn't rule out anything including getting a QB through trade.

https://twitter.com/BobHoltzmanESPN

Gigglepoo

I think the Titans should take Mariota. Mettenberger is trash which they will realize a few games into the upcoming season.

I would rather trade down than take a quarterback I wasn't sold on. Drafting Marcus means the clock is ticking on the Titans regime; if he fails, everyone is gone. Drafting a couple cornerstone pieces while hoping to get something out of Mettenberger is a much safer option.

There's no way I would draft Mariota if I was Tennessee. Too many question marks.

I would rather trade down than take a quarterback I wasn't sold on. Drafting Marcus means the clock is ticking on the Titans regime; if he fails, everyone is gone. Drafting a couple cornerstone pieces while hoping to get something out of Mettenberger is a much safer option.

There's no way I would draft Mariota if I was Tennessee. Too many question marks.

or just keep cap space open for Rivers next year since it sounds like he's not staying in SD either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom