• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

I need this in my life.

B5-P6EfCYAAghE5.jpg:large

Why is he holding the NCAA football?

MechDX

I can't imagine Collins slipping past the 4th round unless there is more to the story that we don't know about. Even if he winds up in jail a 4th is worth the risk.

A 7th at best. No one is risking a valued commodity in the league like draft picks on potential long term prison time this close after the Aaron hernandez trial

Again a franchise QB or a good pass rush? You have to give something up to get your guy.

An improved secondary might even offset a weakened pass rush.

Of course I'd prefer it if they could keep Cox and trade Boykin.

A maybe franchise QB or the existence of a pass rush is the realistic choices. Curry and Cox were responsible for something like 1/3 of the sacks, and Cox enabled a large portion of the rest of them. Get rid of those two and you are left with Ced Thornton and Brandon Bair who had a whole two sacks between them. You will completely lose the interior pass rush, then offenses can occupy the LBs, and then the WRs will have all day to try to get separation. You can only get rid of Cox or Curry, I don't think you can get rid of both.

I just can't wait for Panthers Nation to melt down when they take a safety in the first round instead of reaching for a tackle or receiver even though Papa Getts has been screaming BPA for three months.

Enron

Banned
At the very least, Winston seems a lot more polished as a passer than Russell was. Everyone knew Russell was really raw, and he racked up numbers thanks to his huge arm and wide-open LSU recievers. You could tell though that he had some trouble making decisions if you watched him play. Don't get that same sense with Jameis, so I think the Russell comps are being made simply because they have similar body types and have character issues.

Trying to force throws to below average WR's in games they were often losing. There were also times when he would completely miss a LB floating in coverage which is a little troubling.

Winston isn't afraid to go for it which I think is a great quality if it can be refined by experience and good coaching. Otherwise you get Chad "Checkdown" Henne.
I see a bit of Mark Sanchez in Winston's erratic play.

A 7th at best. No one is risking a valued commodity in the league like draft picks on potential long term prison time this close after the Aaron hernandez trial

Every year a huge percentage of 4th round picks was out. If you have a chance to get a 1st round talent there, even one that may go to jail, its well worth the risk IMO. Here is where the top 4th round picks from 2013 are after two years:

1. Matt Barkley: Looks like a career back up and has lost the #2 job to the Sanchize.
2. Nico Johnson: Lost to the Bengals as a practice squad claim. Hasn't played much due to injuries
3. Akeem Spence: Started as a rookie then lost the job last year. Also busted for weed. Not much of a future unless he turns it around.
4. Ace Sanders: #5 wide receiver on a terrible team.
5. Josh Boyce: Spent most of the season the practice squad. Only on the active roster when other guys got hurt.

I'd take Collins upside over any of those guys.

tmdorsey

Posted in the other thread.

The Falcons give the Seahawks a 3rd or 4th rounder to the Seahawks for Irvin, take Gurley at 8, then pickup Ray or Gregory at 42.

:D

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dedication to rape if thats what you mean.

Drugs are one thing. Behavior problems dont go away.

This is bizarre. Not defending Winston but the notion that guys can't change when they enter the league is absurd. Otherwise Cam Newton would still be stealing laptops and Peyton Manning would still be sexual harassing women.

Bowser

I just can't wait for Panthers Nation to melt down when they take a safety in the first round instead of reaching for a tackle or receiver even though Papa Getts has been screaming BPA for three months.

I don't mind whatever move Getts make. I just hope we don't waste a 1st round pick on Shaq Thompson. Dude is overrated, he can be had in the 2nd round and he should honestly just switch to RB in the league.

gutshot

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Saw @BobMcGinn mention the #Saints high praise of Bryce Petty. From what I understand, real chance he’s goes in round 1. Flying up boards

Every year a huge percentage of 4th round picks was out. If you have a chance to get a 1st round talent there, even one that may go to jail, its well worth the risk IMO. Here is where the top 4th round picks from 2013 are after two years:

1. Matt Barkley: Looks like a career back up and has lost the #2 job to the Sanchize.
2. Nico Johnson: Lost to the Bengals as a practice squad claim. Hasn't played much due to injuries
3. Akeem Spence: Started as a rookie then lost the job last year. Also busted for weed. Not much of a future unless he turns it around.
4. Ace Sanders: #5 wide receiver on a terrible team.
5. Josh Boyce: Spent most of the season the practice squad. Only on the active roster when other guys got hurt.

I'd take Collins upside over any of those guys.
Agreed. I totally think he's worth risking a fourth on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Saw @BobMcGinn mention the #Saints high praise of Bryce Petty. From what I understand, real chance he’s goes in round 1. Flying up boards

If someone is flying up your board on draft day, your front office is Browns tier.

Dedication to rape if thats what you mean.

Drugs are one thing. Behavior problems dont go away.
You could have said the same thing about Cam Newton and he has been fine as a professional. Winston is a bit of an enigma. He does have maturity issues and has put himself in bad situations off the field but at the same time he was a good student in high school and college, played multiple sports, and had a good reputation as a hard worker in everything he was doing. Personally, I think he will be fine in the NFL.

I'd rather take a risk on character issues (not including stupidity, laziness, and/or a lack of interest in football) than drug problems. Dion Jordan didn't have any character issues coming out of college that I know of...

Don't buy that about Petty. Seriously doubt anyone is dumb enough to take him in the 1st, even the Browns.

Yeah, this has to be a smokescreen. I watched a lot of Baylor games last year and Petty is not an NFL starter IMO. Comes from an obscenely simple one-read system, bad pocket awareness, average arm...not seeing it.

I'd rather take a risk on character issues (not including stupidity, laziness, and/or a lack of interest in football) than drug problems. Dion Jordan didn't have any character issues coming out of college that I know of...

He got drafted by Jeff Ireland and the Dolphins, dude was doomed from the start

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Don't buy that about Petty. Seriously doubt anyone is dumb enough to take him in the 1st, even the Browns.

I can see a team trading with the Pats to take a qb at 32. Either Petty or Hundley. If you get him in the first, rather than the second, you get an extra year on the rookie contract.

Kusagari

A lot of Jameis bad throws/iNTs come from Stafford syndrome.

He just doesn't plant his foot, most of the time pressure isn't even near him

Kill3r7

I can see a team trading with the Pats to take a qb at 32. Either Petty or Hundley. If you get him in the first, rather than the second, you get an extra year on the rookie contract.

Makes sense. The money is pretty similar between top of the second vs bottom of the first for QBs.

Bridgewater got 4 years $6.85 million
Carr got 4 years $5.4 million

squicken

I thought comparing Winston to Russell was as lazy as you could get... I take it back. Winston-Manziel is the new frontrunner.

Winston-Leftwich and Winston-Russell are not a lazy as everyone thinks

Both Russell and Winston are a little doughy and both guys played for Jimbo Fisher

If you asked any NFL fan "which QB is notorious for his long windup?", the answer would be Byron Leftwich. Winston has a windup in his delivery. Leftwich was almost comically unathletic, and Winston tested awful at the Combine

The best case/worst case comparison for Jameis is Big Ben. The problem is no one knew much about Ben when he was drafted, so no one remembers the college career and the pre-draft knocks on him. Also rape

Spinluck

This is bizarre. Not defending Winston but the notion that guys can't change when they enter the league is absurd. Otherwise Cam Newton would still be stealing laptops and Peyton Manning would still be sexual harassing women.

No one ever seems to know that Manning story.

They did a great job $$covering$$$it$$$up$$$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom