• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Jameis is obviously hoping to be a Rofflescheeseburger v2.

Jamarcus was a lazy pants and Jameis isn't.

Byron Leftwich had a run in with the mob as a teenager and never managed to get the concrete off his legs. Jameis can take off of necessary and do a good job at shifting on the pocket to buy a little time.

Vince young turned out to be a head case, and Jameis has that potential in my opinion. I still think that comparison had nothing top do with race.

Roethlisberger would've been a much better comparison than Vince Young, down to the issues Ben had being accused of sexual assault. At the very least, saying that Winston is could be the next Vince Young because the Titans drafted him is the absolute laziest way to draw a comparison between two players.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Okay, with my comparison with white QB's let's go with Manziel. Both made boneheaded mistakes in college. Manziel has kept making them, and I wouldn't be shocked if Winston continued as well. My comparison to Russell was because Winston already has a gut, wouldn't shock me if he shows up out of shape to camp. Also, Russell had unbelievable athletic skills (unlike Manziel) but had horrible attitude and dedication.

Winston has a good attitude and dedication though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Roethlisberger would've been a much better comparison than Vince Young, down to the issues Ben had being accused of sexual assault. At the very least, saying that Winston is could be the next Vince Young because the Titans drafted him is the absolute laziest way to draw a comparison between two players.

Well yeah, it was a throwaway joke. I didn't exactly put a whole lot of time into it.

Mindlog

Jameis Winston reminds me of Byron Leftwich when it comes to size, mobility and slow release. I would be super nervous picking this guy #1 overall, but sometimes teams need to take a chance and roll the dice.
As long as he's as good as Shaun King I'll be happy.

gutshot

Who is this Benjamin Albright fella? He keeps mentioning that besides the Eagles no team has real interest in MM. That most have a late first round grade on him.

Seems to be the one going against what others are reporting.

Credible guy?

Honestly, if you connect the dots, I think he is right. The Chargers are out. The Browns are out. The Jets were never in it to begin with. Who else is trading up to 2 for Mariota? The Eagles may be bidding against themselves at this point.

Of course, the Titans could always just take Mariota at 2. Does Chip call their bluff and then hope Mariota starts sliding? I think if that happens, the Eagles would still have to trade up and leapfrog Cleveland at 12 as I think their interest in Mariota is real, they just don't want to have to give up a lot to get him at 2.

Spinluck

He throws a ton of screens.

His problem really is holding the ball. On plays where he is asked to be an NFL QB he fails. On passing situations vs pass coverage he sucks. Doesn't see where to go with the ball.

The sacks taken after 3 seconds, the fumbles, the interceptions.
Remember lord of the trolls Skip Bayless' Andrew Luck INT turrets when 2.9% of his passes were to the other team? RGIII was 2.8% in 2014.

I always laugh when I here the Luck INT thing. His volume of throws is pretty high, and when ranked amongst other QBs in that area up to that point in his career it's about normal.

Not to say he doesn't make some really bad throws.

MechDX

bxDuL45.jpg

#BOB #SaveUs

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I wish I got tickets to the draft, so I could start up the "quack" chant from Mighty Ducks when Tennessee is on the clock.

andycapps

Winston has a good attitude and dedication though.

Yeah I've been watching Draft Academy and it seems like he does. George Whitfield has helped his mechanics quite a bit. Winston has an unbelievable arm. I'm still not sure what happened to him this last season with all the interceptions though.

Okay, with my comparison with white QB's let's go with Manziel. Both made boneheaded mistakes in college. Manziel has kept making them, and I wouldn't be shocked if Winston continued as well. My comparison to Russell was because Winston already has a gut, wouldn't shock me if he shows up out of shape to camp. Also, Russell had unbelievable athletic skills (unlike Manziel) but had horrible attitude and dedication.

You guys got me, I sure am a racist. NFL threads always this touchy?

Not saying you're racist, obviously. I just find it interesting that the media always makes these comparisons and fans fall for it too. Jameis isn't as athletic as Russell. He's smarter than Russell. Even the Manziel comparison doesn't make sense; Jameis is a better passer but isn't as athletic/fast. And while Jameis has off the field problems I haven't seen anyone question his dedication or knowledge of the game, unlike Manziel.

I've seen people compare Jameis to Vince Young too, which doesn't make any sense for the same reasons Manziel doesn't make sense.

Jameis Winston reminds me of Byron Leftwich when it comes to size, mobility and slow release. I would be super nervous picking this guy #1 overall, but sometimes teams need to take a chance and roll the dice.

Same here. But I think Winston is quite a bit more mobile than Leftwich was. I also think Winston's delivery speed is going to get him killed behind that Bucs O-Line without a decent running game. If I were the Bucs, that would be my first two picks: QB and a strong RB like TJ Yeldin.

Yeah I've been watching Draft Academy and it seems like he does. George Whitfield has helped his mechanics quite a bit. Winston has an unbelievable arm. I'm still not sure what happened to him this last season with all the interceptions though.
Trying to force throws to below average WR's in games they were often losing. There were also times when he would completely miss a LB floating in coverage which is a little troubling.

Winston isn't afraid to go for it which I think is a great quality if it can be refined by experience and good coaching. Otherwise you get Chad "Checkdown" Henne.

Brinbe

I don't want to give up Cox

Me neither... Losing Curry/Cox/Kendricks (if that's the cost) would be rough, especially since the defense IS the problem for us. If you really want to develop a QB, just draft someone like Hundley if he's there in the 2nd and develop him under Bradford. I'm sure he has the tools to succeed in Chip's offense.

rob305

I really hope Miami pick DeVante Parker (WR) but I fear he's going to get picked 1 or 2 before Miami's turn :(

andycapps

Not saying you're racist, obviously. I just find it interesting that the media always makes these comparisons and fans fall for it too. Jameis isn't as athletic as Russell. He's smarter than Russell. Even the Manziel comparison doesn't make sense; Jameis is a better passer but isn't as athletic/fast. And while Jameis has off the field problems I haven't seen anyone question his dedication or knowledge of the game, unlike Manziel.

I've seen people compare Jameis to Vince Young too, which doesn't make any sense for the same reasons Manziel doesn't make sense.

Well it's a comparison, nothing is exact. My comparison with Manziel is just due to the off-field problems and the worries that teams will have when thinking of drafting him.

Winston has many times more talent than Manziel and they don't play anything alike.

Trying to force throws to below average WR's in games they were often losing. There were also times when he would completely miss a LB floating in coverage which is a little troubling.

Winston isn't afraid to go for it which I think is a great quality if it can be refined by experience and good coaching. Otherwise you get Chad "Checkdown" Henne.

Yeah I don't think his QB coaching at FSU was that great. If anything he regressed this last year. So many times he would be awful all game and then turn it around at the end.

He's definitely fearless as far as slinging the ball in tight spaces, but those windows are even tighter in the pros.

MechDX

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 3m3 minutes ago
Per Baton Rouge PD Cpl. Don Coppola, a police interview with LSU OT La'El Collins has been set up for after the draft. No date/time yet.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 2m2 minutes ago
Lack of closure on this is certainly hurting Collins now. Talked to several teams who won't touch him tonight as a result of it.

From projected first round pick to not drafted in a few days. Kids these days

andycapps

Dedication to rape if thats what you mean.

Drugs are one thing. Behavior problems dont go away.

Not just that. Shoplifting, shooting the squirrels on campus :)jnc), the cafeteria incident, etc. Those things are little things (compared to rape accusations), but they're all questions of his decision making skills in my eyes. Granted, he's a college student and they do dumb things, but he was the starting QB at a major college. You want them to be leaders and stay out of trouble.

Who do ya'll think my Falcons will take? I'm assuming they go for Beasley or Dupree, but if they're not available I think they should take Gurley. Fowler would be first choice but there's no way he'll be there at #8 and none of the above are worth trading up for.

jmizzal

This is gonna be a fun one, my Jags at 3, we can pick who we want since we dont need a QB

And what will Chip do lol

Redd

Leonard Williams please fall to the fifth pick. Give me some hope our defense will at least be average this year.

effzee

Me neither... Losing Curry/Cox/Kendricks (if that's the cost) would be rough, especially since the defense IS the problem for us. If you really want to develop a QB, just draft someone like Hundley if he's there in the 2nd and develop him under Bradford. I'm sure he has the tools to succeed in Chip's offense.

Again I don't think its happening and our only real chance of getting Mariota is if we call Tenn's bluff and he slides out of the top 10.

With that said I don't get this attitude that Kendricks, Cox, and Curry would be too much to give up. Yes these are good players and Cox is on his way to be great. But even with them on the field the Eagles had one of the worst defenses and have had one of the worst defenses for 5 some years now. Yes the weakness is the secondary but if the secondary doesn't improve, what does keeping Cox, Curry, and Kendricks get us?

A franchise QB is worth so much more. Covers up so many of your weaknesses, even on D.

And Chip already made moves to improve the secondary. If this team is going to be better next season it will be because of better overall QB play (whether that is MM or Bradford) and because the secondary is much better.

Losing Cox would hurt but they will have to be smart and find his replacement in this draft.

Kendricks will be replaced by Kiko and Demeco. They also have a couple of LBs who missed the season last year who they really like ready to be back.

Curry is more of a 4-3 fit who was only used sparingly. They have good depth on the DLine will add more obviously.

The idea is while Bradford or if they settle on Hundley/Petty have the tools to succeed with Chip, we already have seen MM do it. And Chip thinks he is the best QB and compares him to P. Manning. If he truly believes this guy can be the franchise guy for 10+ years and lead the team to actual contender status year in and year out then you have to make the move and give up some assets.

The only other way would be the trade away the whole draft this year and next year. Trading some of these players still allows you to replenish with most of your picks in tact.

Again not saying its happening but if it was done it makes sense and giving up these guys isn't too much. Think of it this way, if you don't have the QB position solved you can have a JJ Watt, who is probably top 5 overall as a player in the league, and it gets you nowhere.

Kaep's only glaring flaws were an offensive line that didn't allow him to ever get his feet set, receivers that couldn't get any separation and an offensive system that aimed to move football back 50 years. My guess is that there is no way the 49ers were open to dealing him under 'any' circumstances.

The O-Line had more than most problems early in the season. Up the middle pressure in some games.

Later in the season he was sucking. Then ended the season by complete about 14 passes per game.

He completed the 2 biggest plays of his career in 2014 and his YPA was the lowest at 7.05

The pass game was opened up. More 3 or 4 WR sets. The down-field chucks didn't connect.

He is 27 and 40 starts and the details of a good consistent QB are still not there.

If the rumor is true. I am pretty sure Houston offered a 2nd round pick + for him. Like maybe 2016 2nd if he starts a playoff game. 2016 1st if he starts in Conference Championship.

SF probably wanted pick 16. And 2016 2nd.

SF would be in great position, back to back, 15th & 16th picks to address the huge questions of the present and future at DL and CB.

A QB playing like a little brother does in Madden making 17 18 19 million whatever it is, is NOT doing this depleted 49ers much good the next few years.

Again I don't think its happening and our only real chance of getting Mariota is if we call Tenn's bluff and he slides out of the top 10.

With that said I don't get this attitude that Kendricks, Cox, and Curry would be too much to give up. Yes these are good players and Cox is on his way to be great. But even with them on the field the Eagles had one of the worst defenses and have had one of the worst defenses for 5 some years now. Yes the weakness is the secondary but if the secondary doesn't improve, what does keeping Cox, Curry, and Kendricks get us?

Letting B Dawk walk continues to haunt us to this day.

A franchise QB is worth so much more. Covers up so many of your weaknesses, even on D.

And Chip already made moves to improve the secondary. If this team is going to be better next season it will be because of better overall QB play (whether that is MM or Bradford) and because the secondary is much better.

Losing Cox would hurt but they will have to be smart and find his replacement in this draft.

Kendricks will be replaced by Kiko and Demeco. They also have a couple of LBs who missed the season last year who they really like ready to be back.

Curry is more of a 4-3 fit who was only used sparingly. They have good depth on the DLine will add more obviously.

The idea is while Bradford or if they settle on Hundley/Petty have the tools to succeed with Chip, we already have seen MM do it. And Chip thinks he is the best QB and compares him to P. Manning. If he truly believes this guy can be the franchise guy for 10+ years and lead the team to actual contender status year in and year out then you have to make the move and give up some assets.

The only other way would be the trade away the whole draft this year and next year. Trading some of these players still allows you to replenish with most of your picks in tact.

Again not saying its happening but if it was done it makes sense and giving up these guys isn't too much. Think of it this way, if you don't have the QB position solved you can have a JJ Watt, who is probably top 5 overall as a player in the league, and it gets you nowhere.

There is no replacing a top 5 defensive player. Cox is the reason the pass rush was successful. I have a strong opinion that without Cox you will not see a good pass rush, end of story. Giving up Cox and Curry means you're giving up 1/3 of your DEs. You can't give up both or you end up with no talented depth.

harSon

Banned
Kaep's only glaring flaws were an offensive line that didn't allow him to ever get his feet set, receivers that couldn't get any separation and an offensive system that aimed to move football back 50 years. My guess is that there is no way the 49ers were open to dealing him under 'any' circumstances.

Lol, Kaep's glaring flaw is an inability to read a defense.

effzee

There is no replacing a top 5 defensive player. Cox is the reason the pass rush was successful. I have a strong opinion that without Cox you will not see a good pass rush, end of story. Giving up Cox and Curry means you're giving up 1/3 of your DEs. You can't give up both or you end up with no talented depth.

Again a franchise QB or a good pass rush? You have to give something up to get your guy.

An improved secondary might even offset a weakened pass rush.

Of course I'd prefer it if they could keep Cox and trade Boykin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom