• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

LOL

Edit: Actually scratch that, Jamarcus had the talent, but was lazy. Either way, scouting isn't a 100% science

Yeah but there are busts every single draft. By that logic no team should draft a QB any year unless they are 100% givens like P. Manning or Luck. They should do what instead? Hope to hit on a guy in the 3rd or 6th round?

And JaMarcus was a known problem. Mariota by all accounts is a great character guy who works hard.

I see the skepticism especially if he goes to any other team but he makes a lot of sense on the Eagles.

Yeah but there are busts every single draft. By that logic no team should draft a QB any year unless they are 100% givens like P. Manning or Luck. They should do what instead? Hope to hit on a guy in the 3rd or 6th round?

Nah just sign solid vets like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Schaub. With enough talent around them you may even go 10 - 6.

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

UPDATE!!!!!!

NFL-GAF member and fellow Patriots Superfan Jbug617 has made the decision to give away a price to the highest scoring player in the Predict-The-Pick game! The overall winner will receive a 20$ gift card for either PSN or Xbox live!

You can't miss out on this opportunity to and show off how smart you are, and to win a grand prize! Also, lets put GAF on the Map and become the biggest Private group on NFL.com, we only need 20 more people to join us!

So use the predict a pick machine on NFL.com and show us how it's done!

http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/242

The password is Gronkislife (with a capital G).

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

Ozone

ESPN just reported that Mariota said that he would be excited to play anywhere, "just not Cleveland".

Goddamn.

effzee

That is some serious faith in a guy that couldn't get you in the playoffs last year (and they were a better team than the Cowboys tbh)

Umm ok? Took over a 4-12 team and won 10 games in back to back season.

Both years lost starting QB and still won 10 games.

Last year was super unusual. 9 out 10 times you win 10 games you make the playoffs. Maybe it time the NFL update their rules so teams under .500 can't make it.

So yes seeing what he has done these last 2 years with the mess Reid left on both sides of the ball I'll put all my faith in him. And if it doesn't work goodbye he either leaves on his own or is fired. I'm not worried about that and don't see why I as a fan should be.

He was hired as the unconventional coach who will do things differently so why not let him do it?

Nah just sign solid vets like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Schaub. With enough talent around them you may even go 10 - 6.
Totally with you. You have to roll the dice on a QB when the opportunity presents itself. I'm not saying you draft a guy like Manziel but if he's a very good prospect overall you'd better think hard before you pass it up. That's why I think the Titans should take Mariota.

I wonder if the Texans would trade Clowney for Teddy, Carr, or Bortles?

Umm ok? Tool over s 4-12 team and won 10 games in back to back season.

Both years lost starting QB and still won 10 games.

Last year was super unusual. 9 out 10 times you win 10 games you make the playoffs. Maybe it time the NFL update their rules so teams under .500 can't make it.

So yes seeing what he has done these last 2 years with the mess Reid left on both sides of the ball I'll put all my faith in him. And if it doesn't work goodbye he either leaves on his own or is fired. I'm not worried about that and don't see why I as a fan should be.

He was hired as the unconventional coach who will do things differently so why not let him do it?

The guy came in with some great schemes and won games with some shoddy players in key positions. I'll give you that he is a good coach.

But, where is the evidence that he makes good personnel decisions? Those are two different areas of specialty. DeSean jackson last year McCoy this year...those are still suspect moves in my opinion.

Wynnebeck

Banned
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

UPDATE!!!!!!

NFL-GAF member and fellow Patriots Superfan Jbug617 has made the decision to give away a price to the highest scoring player in the Predict-The-Pick game! The overall winner will receive a 20$ gift card for either PSN or Xbox live!

You can't miss out on this opportunity to and show off how smart you are, and to win a grand prize! Also, lets put GAF on the Map and become the biggest Private group on NFL.com, we only need 20 more people to join us!

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

In like Matt Flynn in the 3rd Quarter vs. the Lions.

The guy came in with some great schemes and won games with some shoddy players in key positions. I'll give you that he is a good coach.

But, where is the evidence that he makes good personnel decisions? Those are two different areas of specialty. DeSean Parker last year McCoy this year...those are still suspect moves in my opinion.

The Jackson move was questionable, but I don't really view the McCoy move as questionable. They were able to get DeMarco Murray and Kiko Alonso for the cost of McCoy. That's a good trade. I am sure they missed Jackson last season, but it's not what cost them the playoffs. They were still scoring plenty. The defense was the problem.

MechDX

Totally with you. You have to roll the dice on a QB when the opportunity presents itself. I'm not saying you draft a guy like Manziel but if he's a very good prospect overall you'd better think hard before you pass it up. That's why I think the Titans should take Mariota.

I wonder if the Texans would trade Clowney for Teddy, Carr, or Bortles?

No they wouldn't

Selling high on a running back is always a smart move. And Jackson is a pain. Both of those moves are understandable. Bringing in Bradford? That's another story.

True they may have sold high on McCoy but they bought high for Murray. All signs point to his production dropping off.

No they wouldn't
The Clowney situation is unfortunate and using the #1 overall on a QB didn't make the most sense last year but the Texans are still paying for not landing a QB in that draft.

I mean... What I meant to say is Ryan Mallett will surely deliver the Texans to the promised land this season.

Gigglepoo

Chipper wanted a north/south runner, not a dancer.

Why he paid a kings ransom to get one is anyone's guess.

Oh yeah, I do understand that much. It just seems too risky to spend so much money on a running back who has already shown a propensity to break down and had almost 400 carries last season. The Cowboys aren't perfect, but it says a lot by how willing they were to let Murray walk.

effzee

But, where is the evidence that he makes good personnel decisions? Those are two different areas of specialty. DeSean Parker last year McCoy this year...those are still suspect moves in my opinion.

Again we have to wait and see but no point in panicking. His biggest measure will be if his defensive moves work out.

BTW it's Desean Jackson. I agree that was a terrible move.

McCoy we have to wait and see. They did replace him with Ryan Mathews and Demeco Ryans so hard to be upset.

He's still cheaper than McCoy, and if all signs point to Murray's production dropping then it's probably similar for McCoy. Plus his style fits Chip's scheme better.

Perhaps he fits the scheme, but what about when the scheme is forced to change? McCoy is way more dynamic than DeMarco Murray, who is also a fumbling liability.

If the inside run is being stuffed, there isn't much DeMarco Murray can do. Keep in mind he played behind the best O-Line in the NFL last season.

I just think that picking players based on how they fit your scheme is putting too many eggs in one basket.

Talent trumps coaches in the NFL. Eventually defensive coaches are going to learn how to defend any scheme.

Gigglepoo

Talent trumps coaches in the NFL.

I disagree. The vast majority of players in the NFL are very close in their skills, and the difference is how they're strengths are highlighted while their weaknesses are hidden. Coaching matters in the NFL more than any other sport.

Syrinx

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

UPDATE!!!!!!

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
Made one.

Kinda winged the whole thing since I didn't pay nearly as much attention to draft prospects as years past. Mostly cause I didn't really need to.

Perhaps he fits the scheme, but what about when the scheme is forced to change? McCoy is way more dynamic than DeMarco Murray, who is also a fumbling liability.

If the inside run is being stuffed, there isn't much DeMarco Murray can do. Keep in mind he played behind the best O-Line in the NFL last season.

I just think that picking players based on how they fit your scheme is putting too many eggs in one basket.

Talent trumps coaches in the NFL. Eventually defensive coaches are going to learn how to defend any scheme.

The Eagles offensive line was ranked higher in run blocking last year than the Cowboys by PFF. They had three offensive line injuries and the RT was suspended for 4 games.

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

UPDATE!!!!!!

giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif
giphy7ouu3.gif

joined in. this doesn't take trades into consideration right?

joined in. this doesn't take trades into consideration right?

It's all about the location of where the player is picked.

So for instance if you believe the Titans will trade away their second overall pick and some other team will take Mariota there, then you place Mariota second overall.

It is pretty funny how desperately they are trying to drum up interest in the no. 2 pick.

Face it, Tenn. No one wants to move up except Chip. May as well take his best offer.
But it still a win-win scenario for us. If we(Titans) trade, we get some good stuff. If not, we getting a really good Defensive player

Doorman

After remaining dormant in the offseason threads, I am so in for this. Bring on the Goodell boos!

I actually feel kind of bad for Bucs fans for once
but fuck Tampa for eliminating the Red Wings
. I also feel bad for who we inevitably draft to Detroit. I'm extremely worried if Gurley somehow manages to drop to us, otherwise I feel like there are very few potential selections that will really make me pull my hair out.

JABEE

It sucks that Collins could go in the third day, because someone murdered his pregnant ex-girlfriend. He isn't even a suspect.

Mr. Patch

If Mariota was such a marginal talent, i don't think actual NFL talent evaluators and scouts would have him in the first round. Worthy of a #2 pick? Maybe not.

I'm a FSU fan that's still wondering how anyone considered Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel anything higher than a 3rd rounder.

Not that I think Mariota is that bad.

Kusagari

It's cool to act like all those guys don't know shit but that is one hard as hell job. No guarantees.

And yet they still end up picking guys everyone except they apparently thought would bust like EJ Fucking Manuel.

I'm sorry but the mere fact that EJ Fucking Manuel went in the first round makes me convinced most of them have no idea what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom