• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder at what point in the draft Lael is worth the risk...

hc-aaron-hernandez-from-bristol-to-prison-20141216

Ask him.

Bowser

Why didn't Arizona take Randy Gregory and leave us with DJ Humphries ;_;

According to Panthers insiders/sources, Gettleman's draft board (not overall, but in terms of potential targets available at 25) was :

Gurley
Humphries
Shaq
Peat

According to Panthers insiders/sources, Gettleman's draft board (not overall, but in terms of potential targets available at 25) was :

Gurley
Humphries
Shaq
Peat

If La'el wasn't out of commission, I have a feeling someone would have taken him (maybe the Cards) before us and that would have pushed Humphries to 25.

Oh well. Shaq was a bad pick at 25, but Getts can still find value (especially at WR) in Day 2.

Bowser

If La'el wasn't out of commission, I have a feeling someone would have taken him (maybe the Cards) before us and that would have pushed Humphries to 25.

Oh well. Shaq was a bad pick at 25, but Getts can still find value (especially at WR) in Day 2.

Yup:

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 28m28 minutes ago
La'el Collins situation changed draft for everyone, incl #Panthers. They would've taken him, or another team would and DJ Humphries to CAR.

I wish Gettleman would have traded a 5th and 6th (25/161/201 for 23 would be fair value per the JJ trade chart) to the Lions to move ahead of the Cardinals, but seems like he had DJ and Shaq rated as equal talents and was content to just pick whoever was available.

I'm hoping we get either Jaelen Strong, Devin Smith, or Jake Fisher tonight.

TheFatOne

My guess is maybe Indy thinks they can get the home field and air it out vs NE in the playoffs. I think it's premature to just assume Brown is Wilfork, however. Texas players are usually soft, Earl being the exception
If they truly think that the gm should be fired. Arrington will once again shut down ty and the pats will just run all over them. Hard to win a shoot out when you lose the time of possession badly.

Bitanator

Fucking scrub ass Cowboys picking up some undersized CB with injury issues that's gonna get trolled on by taller WR's.

edit:BTW I know Byron was rated high in the draft but I'm not a fan of 6' 1" CB's in today's NFL.

The majority in the league don't reach 6 feet and have great success. I like the pick, the dude is articulate, does not look like he was molded by silly putty like Claiborne, and has speed in the 4.36 range.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I slept on it, and I still hate the Gurley pick.

As you should. Jeff Fisher still runs a team like its the 1990s. A last of his kind dinosaur in the NFL.

Here is every RB taken in the top half of the draft since Adrian Peterson.
2008 - Darren McFadden (4), Jonathan Stewart (13)
2009 - Knowshon Moreno (12)
2010 - CJ Spiller (9), Ryan Mathews (12)
2012 - Trent Richardson (3)

Teams have been smartening up in recent years until this year. Rams make a total luxury pick when they are not that great of a team to begin with. For all the shit the Redskins took for RG3 the reality is they made more playoff games with him than the Rams did without him and that will continue to be the case.

Spinluck

If they truly think that the gm should be fired. Arrington will once again shut down ty and the pats will just run all over them. Hard to win a shoot out when you lose the time of possession badly.

So he will simultaneously shut down Andre Johnson, Dorsett, Moncrief, and Gore? This is a different offense.

I think the point is that Grigson is a dumb fuck and that you guys are more likely to run all over our defense than shut down our WRs again. We went into that last game with Nicks, an over the hill busted Wayne, Griff Whalen, and a 4th and 5th string RB. We never had a chance lol.

squicken

I agree with everyone on this that the pick looks dumb. I'm just trying to think of why they did it.

As lots of commenters have pointed out, it's a weak draft. It's probably better to think of this pick like the best amongst the available second round talents on their board. If they don't like Brown, there really wasn't an obvious guy to plug in to the defense. And Collins being out of the draft changed everything on the OL front.

TheFatOne

I agree with everyone on this that the pick looks dumb. I'm just trying to think of why they did it.

As lots of commenters have pointed out, it's a weak draft. It's probably better to think of this pick like the best amongst the available second round talents on their board. If they don't like Brown, there really wasn't an obvious guy to plug in to the defense. And Collins being out of the draft changed everything on the OL front.

One thing I was thinking of would be a possible trade. Jets need offensive talent, and they are stacked on the dline. Wonder what it would take for the Colts to get Wilkerson if the Jets were willing to trade him. Would be about the only way this pick makes sense. Trade TY plus a bunch of picks and snatch Wilkerson, but that is a fantasy trade scenario. Don't think the Jets will trade him, and if they did would most likely be to a bottom feeder NFC team.
So he will simultaneously shut down Andre Johnson, Dorsett, Moncrief, and Gore? This is a different offense.

I think the point is that Grigson is a dumb fuck and that you guys are more likely to run all over our defense than shut down our WRs again. We went into that last game with Nicks, an over the hill busted Wayne, Griff Whalen, and a 4th and 5th string RB. We never had a chance lol.

Andrew Luck is still the qb for the Colts, and in every game he has played against the Pats he has looked like dogshit. He makes dumb mistake after dumb mistake regardless of the quality of the Pats defense. I'm not enamored with Luck like many people are because he consistently looks like shit against the Pats. Their offense is going to be better, but when the Pats take out their primary target Luck will look like shit. Will believe this until Luck proves otherwise.

squicken

Worst pick of the first round was a tie between Gurley and armstead

My guess with STL, despite what they said about Gurley being 2nd on their board behind Mariotta, is that they would have taken White, Cooper, or Sherf had any of them been available

The Rams need playmakers. They haven't had a skill player that opponents truly feared since young Holt. SJAX was good but I don't think he ever kept a DC up at night

Spinluck

Andrew Luck is still the qb for the Colts, and in every game he has played against the Pats he has looked like dogshit. He makes dumb mistake after dumb mistake regardless of the quality o the Pats defense. I'm not enamored with Luck like many people are because he consistently looks like shit against the Pats. Their offense is going to be better, but when the Pats take out their primary target Luck will look like shit. Will believe this until Luck proves otherwise.

That only works because we can't run the ball. You guys also get consistent pressure on him, and take away more than one of his targets. It's comparable to when Crennel used to shut Manning down (except Manning had much better teams), is Manning a lesser QB because there is a guy out there that still gives him fits? No. Really silly thing to say. One of the best coaches ever has the gameplan and talent to make a young player like Luck look like a scrub. Don't think I'll lose any sleep over that. Luck plays like basura in those games but give your defense credit, they're the only team to consistently do this to us.

It is like Giants fans saying Brady is the biggest choker ever because he can't get it done against them.

My guess with STL, despite what they said about Gurley being 2nd on their board behind Mariotta, is that they would have taken White, Cooper, or Sherf had any of them been available

The Rams need playmakers. They haven't had a skill player that opponents truly feared since young Holt. SJAX was good but I don't think he ever kept a DC up at night

why not pick parker? The reason is they've been burned by bad wr picks time and again so they got gun shy but you can't draft scared and be successful

Horrible pick by niners. niner organization is just crumbling n the last year. Just keeps getting worst.

I guess 2011 was a bit of an aberration for Baalke..The man has not had a good draft since. Next rounds we'll probably see him draft DE/OLB, RB and center then use draft picks for injured prospects at need positions.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Still trying to wrap my head around the Packers pick too. Why are you using a first round pick on a player you're projecting to play another position? That's the main concern for me. It sounds like he has some experience at corner too but it just seems like a weird 1st round choice. And I know you don't really look at your current roster when you're drafting (especially if you're Ted), but we already have hybrid safety/corner players like Hyde anyway. I don't know much about this year's draft class but is he really the best available there considering you're looking to move his position? And beyond that, even though dimensions aren't everything it's not like he adds height, or even physicality for that matter, which we're lacking in our secondary.

I trust the Silver Fox though..

What's interesting to me is that the highest picked ILB went right after we made our pick. Green Bay must have been really down on this year's inside linebacker class.

Kill3r7

Worst pick of the first round was a tie between Gurley and armstead

As a Giants fan I would throw Flowers in there. They would have been better off trading down and grabbing him later in the draft. IMO you shouldn't draft a "project" player with a Top 10 pick unless you are going after a QB.

squicken

why not pick parker? The reason is they've been burned by bad wr picks time and again so they got gun shy but you can't draft scared and be successful

I think Parker is seen as a step down from White and Cooper. And Fisher wants to run the ball. The bigger issue is that OL. They still have just two starters and no depth.

They could have had Watkins or Mike Evans and Zach Martin last year. Hard to fault the Donald pick, but Robinson better turn out really good given who they passed up

Syrinx

Gurley
Humphries
Shaq
Peat
Thompson at least seems like a great athlete. I was hoping you guys would get Ogbuehi.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Colin Cowherd was getting mad salty about people reaming Goodell of over his 'Mariotto' gaffe this morning. It was glorious to hear the amount of juvenile butthurt he spewed.

Colin Cowherd was getting mad salty about people reaming Goodell of over his 'Mariotto' gaffe this morning. It was glorious to hear the amount of juvenile butthurt he spewed.

Speaking of Cowherd, you would think that Andrew Luck is the second coming of Jesus the way he praises him. It's almost sickening.

According to Twitter, every time the Pats have selected a DL in the first round during the Belichick regime they've gone on to win the Super Bowl. So congrats to the 2015-2016 Super Bowl winning Pats.

Eleuin

What's interesting to me is that the highest picked ILB went right after we made our pick. Green Bay must have been really down on this year's inside linebacker class.
There's a pretty steep drop off from the top 3 guys though, while there's still plenty of options for a slot cb available. Would've preferred they just got their guy now.

ampere

According to Twitter, every time the Pats have selected a DL in the first round during the Belichick regime they've gone on to win the Super Bowl. So congrats to the 2015-2016 Super Bowl winning Pats.

2nd repeat inc!

Yeah when we won in 2004 it was Vince's rookie year.

ryan-ts

There's a pretty steep drop off from the top 3 guys though, while there's still plenty of options for a slot cb available. Would've preferred they just got their guy now.

I'm assuming the Packers have bigger plans than just making Randall a random slot corner.

Maybe none of ilbs are their "guy"? ilb is not a position to reach on or just grab a guy in the 1st. The 15th best ilb in the NFL is not making much more of an impact than the 30th best ilb. It's not until the top 10 players at that position where you start seeing game changers. I've also seen plenty of variation in the top 5 ilb rankings (Anthony, McKinney, Kendricks, Dawson, & Perryman), so who knows where the Packers have them ranked and who might be on the board when they pick.

Striker

As a Giants fan I would throw Flowers in there. They would have been better off trading down and grabbing him later in the draft. IMO you shouldn't draft a "project" player with a Top 10 pick unless you are going after a QB.
He's going to start. Obviously he'll go through some growing pains, but TC and Reese were pushing hard that he's a Tackle and he'll play. Of course in the first reps at camp he'll be in the second unit behind John Jerry or someone.

I like the pick, even if it was a slight early. No one will care if it is anyways if he turns out to be a great player.

Kill3r7

He's going to start. Obviously he'll go through some growing pains, but TC and Reese were pushing hard that he's a Tackle and he'll play. Of course in the first reps at camp he'll be in the second unit behind John Jerry or someone.

I like the pick, even if it was a slight early. No one will care if it is anyways if he turns out to be a great player.

If he turns out to be a great LT all is forgiven but the one thing to keep in mind is that Eli is 34 and is not getting any younger. We need players who are going to provide a spark in the next couple of seasons because after that we will be facing another rebuilding job.

IMO, we could have traded down and still gotten Flowers or Peat with a later pick. Flowers will be great at guard starting out, he might even be a decent RT depending if they decided to shift Pugh. That said, I do hope he turns out to be the LT of the future.

Dude the Panthers took what most believed was a 2nd to 4th round pick in the 1st. Easily the worst

Cowboys were shit on for taking a 2nd-3rd round center in the first a few years ago. That player is now anchoring one of the best lines in football.

Not saying they'll hit on Shaq but you have to trust your board as a GM for better or worse. In the end of it doesn't work you won't be the GM anymore but at least you lived and died on your choices and not what the analysts project.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tonight is going to be more fun than last night. There is a lot of talent left. A lot of draftniks said there were only 16 or so first round graded guys. I'm guessing there's probably 50 second round graded guys.

Nah, Cardinals have Humphries rated higher than Collins.

And Cardinals aren't touching Gregory in the first after the Washington debacle.

Steelers-centric board, I'm assuming. I'd say Maxx Williams, Devin Smith, Eric Rowe, Jalen Collins. Not in that order, necessarily, but all of those guys would be solid picks.

I think there's going to be a huge run on CBs this round. I'm preparing for the Steelers to not get one before the 3rd round.

Draxal

Cowboys were shit on for taking a 2nd-3rd round center in the first a few years ago. That player is now anchoring one of the best lines in football.

Not saying they'll hit on Shaq but you have to trust your board as a GM for better or worse. In the end of it doesn't work you won't be the GM anymore but at least you lived and died on your choices and not what the analysts project.

Giants were getting shit on for not taking Donald or Martin over Beckham last year, or not trading down for Beckham.

Giants were getting shit on for not taking Donald or Martin over Beckham last year, or not trading down for Beckham.

Indeed. The knee jerk reactions to some of this stuff is always interesting to me. Analysts are guessing just as much as GM's are at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom