• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.
we drafted a safety?

cat-hit-by-toy-train-gif1.gif

I like the pick. Bethea is solid but he's only got 2-3 years max left in his career. Gotta look to the future.

then why did we draft safety Jimmy Ward last year with a first round pick?

why did we draft him! to get fucking roasted as a pseudo-nickle CB? maybe we're all idiots and eric reid told baalke he's retiring. otherwise, this draft is fucking trash so far

Quazar

why did we draft him! to get fucking roasted as a pseudo-nickle CB? maybe we're all idiots and eric reid told baalke he's retiring. otherwise, this draft is fucking trash so far

Loll lol this is crazy.

Jimmy Ward's first game as nickel CB was against Brandon Marshall. Of course he got toasted. I'm not ready to give up on him as a decent DB yet. I still think the 49ers need a guard but the roster is not THAT thin. Even with all the offseason losses

Vic Tafur @VicTafur · 2m 2 minutes ago
Edwards said if he kept his weight under control at FSU he would have fulfilled potential as No. 1 high school recruit

Well that's comforting, I'm sure he will be much more motivated now that he's getting paid...

Tartt should be an absolute stud on special teams—a guy who starts on all four core units and produces every Sunday. By the middle of the season, opposing teams should have to game-plan for him on kickoff coverage, and I expect Tartt to be near the top of the production chart in the special teams meeting room.

baalke is killin' it. can't believe we got him in the 6th round! great value!

MechDX

Devante Parker's mom to Miami Herald on cle: “They don’t have a team, really, or a quarterback. I knew I didn’t want the Cleveland Browns.''

Disrespect.gif

Jimmy Ward's first game as nickel CB was against Brandon Marshall. Of course he got toasted. I'm not ready to give up on him as a decent DB yet. I still think the 49ers need a guard but the roster is not THAT thin. Even with all the offseason losses

jimmy ward was fucking horrible against every WR he played against. i have 0 hope for him as a CB. can he play safety? i don't know, maybe if we don't ask him to cover anyone? now we have another identical player:

Jimmy Ward:

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Intense, active and energetic. Zooms around the field and stands out on tape. Aggressive run supporter -- triggers quickly, flies downhill and chops down ball carriers. Breaks on throws and shows short-area burst to close. Has quick hands to snatch interceptions. Confident and energetic. Experienced and productive. Has a 38-inch vertical jump.
WEAKNESSES Size is just adequate -- lacks ideal bulk and is built more like a cornerback than a safety. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just nine times at the combine, second fewest among DBs. Gets snagged on blocks and struggles to disengage. Can be a tick late diagnosing pass, gaining depth and digesting route combos. Lacks elite top-end speed. Inconsistent downfield ball reactions with his back to the throw. Shows lower-body stiffness in space. Could rub some people the wrong way. Has some maturing to do and needs to learn what it means to prepare like a pro.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3
BOTTOM LINE Wiry, active, aggressive strong safety at his best playing downhill and reacting to plays in front him, yet possesses the cover skill to range over the top or lock down defenders in the slot. Ability to stay healthy in the future given lack of size and durability is the biggest concern. A very talented football player who could slide a round or two based on size, medical evaluations and attitude. Can contribute immediately at any safety position and positively affect the game if healthy and focused.

Tartt:
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Well-built with impressive overall size. Gets downhill quickly from high safety to mix it up in run support. Takes good angles to ball carriers and is an aggressive tackler. Willing to play through pain and compete. Fierce competitor. Plays with confident, clear eyes to diagnose and handle his responsibilities. Attacks the ball at point of catch to disrupt wide receiver and dislodge the pass.
WEAKNESSES Gets caught staring into backfield as a single high safety. Will let post routes get behind him and doesn't feature recovery speed to get back into that play. Becomes over-aggressive in space and will overrun tackles. Limited man-cover ability.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3 or 4
NFL COMPARISON Barry Church
BOTTOM LINE Tartt has terrific size and is a physical tackler but he must show that he can handle coverage responsibilities. Despite playing 2-deep and single-high coverage, Tartt's size and aggressiveness as a tackler might be best utilized around the line of scrimmage or in a "robber" scheme. Tartt has the size, athleticism and overall talent to be an NFL starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom