• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

RBH

Hold the obituaries. The United Football League is still alive.

Despite the resignation of commissioner Michael Huyghue, losses of more than $120 million in its first three years and rumors that it would fold, the UFL will return in 2012, league founder Bill Hambrecht said Friday.

"We're moving forward," said Hambrecht, the Las Vegas Locomotives' owner. "We fully expect to play."

An official announcement is expected around May 1. The league will conduct a meeting April 16 in Las Vegas to finalize plans for the season.

Hambrecht said the five-team UFL will play primarily on weekday nights beginning in mid-September and is expected to have a national television contract.

The league will consist of Las Vegas, defending champion Virginia, Omaha, Sacramento and an expansion team, most likely in San Antonio, though Southern California and Portland, Ore., have been discussed.

The UFL reportedly has cut a deal for games to be aired on the CBS Sports Network. Each team also is trying to sign a regional TV deal with a cable operator in its area.

"We believe we have a media deal in place," said Hambrecht, who would not comment on the CBS tie-in. "With that in mind, we are moving ahead."

Hambrecht said the Las Vegas Locos players finally have been paid for October's UFL championship game -- the Locomotives lost to Virginia 17-3 after winning the first two UFL titles -- and the team is looking to settle with its other creditors. The league still has about $1.2 million in debts to resolve, a source with knowledge of the situation said.

"The reality is we've been under-financed the first three years," Hambrecht said. "But we've got things in place now to see to it that we are financially solid."

Having TV revenue is the critical element to the UFL's survival. When the NFL locked out its players last spring, the UFL had been in negotiations with several networks and was looking to move the start of its season from mid-September to early August.

But when the NFL settled with its players, it was too late for the UFL to get a TV deal. The league postponed its August start, took a month to regroup and played a four-game regular season with four teams after the Hartford franchise was dissolved.

Hambrecht said the UFL will be more streamlined. To save money, it will not have a commissioner or a league office. Hambrecht and Virginia owner Bill Mayer will oversee the business end, and Locos president and coach Jim Fassel will be responsible for the football side.

"Any startup company goes through some growing pains," Fassel said. "But I believe in the concept, and I believe in Bill Hambrecht, Bill Mayer and (Sacramento owner Paul) Pelosi. Bill Hambrecht doesn't flinch, and he wants this thing to work.

"We've got to change a bunch of stuff, and we need to get more awareness, both locally and nationally. We need to do a better job getting the word out, and I believe we will."
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/ufl-not-done-yet-league-set-to-return-146516555.html

Fox318

Afc East

New England Patriots ( 17 ) - Alligatorjandro , Dutch Patriot , Milchjon , Sanjuro Tsubaki , Tom Penny, TheFatOne , Big-E, Bread , Dragon, Lunchbox , HowardRoark, ATF487, ActStriker, Case , msdstc , FlawlessCowboy , Heavy

New York Jets ( 6 ) - Fox318 , darkside31337, bob_arctor , talisayNon , captmcblack, Not a Jellyfish

Miami Dolphins ( 7 ) - TheDrizzlerJ11 , Jason's Ultimatum ,Wrayfield , jergrah, ph33nix , Miami Wesker, Junie12

Buffalo Bills (7 ) - LJ11 , WanderingWind , Mifune , OnPoint , Raistlin, Onix , CrankyJay, UberTag

Afc North

Pittsburgh Steelers ( 12 ) - Jakncoke , DeaconKnowledge , bionic77 , chuckddd , Spectral Glider , AngmarsKing701 , DeathbyVolcano , 789shadow ,
Crazymoogle , harSon , ramirez , marleyman

Baltimore Ravens ( 6 ) - BaltimoreLarry , Nakazato , crimzonflame , DarienA , Bolt Vanderhuge , Draft

Cincinati Bengals ( 4 ) - vas_a_morir, firex , coldplay619 , nateeasy

Cleveland Browns ( 6 ) - Wes , hiryu , jdez15(mother approval pending), Oozer3993, Kave_Man , SlackAdjuster

Afc West

Denver Broncos (7 ) - Godslay , GraveRobberX , HarryDemeanor , Troll, Red13th, Chiggs, H1NCH ,

Kansas City Chiefs ( 3 ) - Pantherlotus , DuaneCunningham , MalleyMal

Oakland Raiders ( 4) - Bill Murray , rorschach , NawidA , filler

San Diego Chargers ( 4 ) - Nightz , Hartt951 , Noriega , Saerk

Afc South

Houston Texans ( 7 ) - MechDX, smokey, miguel , captive , jmdajr, Vyer , Syracuse022

Indianapolis Colts ( 5 ) - Narag , LukeSmith , Skiptastic , SuperMalo , TheApatheticOne

Tennesee Titans ( 2 ) - The M.O.B, sf2fanatic

Jacksonville Jaguars ( 4 ) - Tamanon , iapetus, Zaraki_Kenpachi , Dre3001

-------------------------

Nfc East

Washington Redskins ( 5 ) - Ninja Scooter , mr2xxx , LiveWire , SonnyBoy , Ænima

Dallas Cowboys ( 8 ) - levious , pelicansurf , Sviatoslav, Somnia, Woodchuck, Enron , Zeke, cashman

Philedelphia Eagles ( 5) - yankeehater , effzee , CB3 , Brinbe , Konka

New York Giants ( 12 ) - Futurevoid , Wellington , BigAT, Nemesis121 , Striker , dschalter , thefrankman , Bluetsunami , neoemonk , d[-_-]b ,yankeeforever2 , h3ro

Nfc North

Green Bay Packers ( 14 ) - Eznark , Buckethead , Greg , wienke , mastershake , TheLegendary , Elfforkusu , ZZMitch , ConradCervantes , Az Greg , brentech, ink4n3 , _madtown , skip

Detroit Lions ( 9 ) - goldlion054 , beast786 , Plinko , WedgeX , Kosmo , PhoenixDark , Gaborn , Kastrioti , Doorman

Minnesota Vikings ( 7 ) - Slo, Eric Walton , BannedEpisode , TheJollyCorner , Annhog,smokeymcpot , PenguinPoacher

Chicago Bears ( 7 ) - cuevas, PhD. , yacobod , Equus Bellator Apex , MrBob,minx88 , Seda , khold, zychi, ajf009

Nfc South

Carolina Panthers ( 4 ) - Grover Cleveland , Bowser , Dynasty , LegendofJoe , Talamius

Tampa Bay Buccaneers ( 4 ) - snesfreak , I H8 Memes , DMczaf , mwsnatural

New Orleans Saints ( 5 ) - Cajunator , Big Baybee , Dirtbag , Themadcowtipper , CrunchyFrog

Atlanta Falcons (11 ) - Talon- , RBH , tmdorsey , Ceebs , DCX ,Lead Based Paint , storybook77 , B1gg_Randall , verbum , meadowrag , AndresON777

Nfc West

San Fransisco 49ers ( 10) - FrenchMovieTheme , Drakeon , Doomsayer , Corran Horn, bigosc2k , LevelNth , firen, GullyState, Devolution ,BeautifulMemory , XiaNaphryz

Arizona Cardinals ( 3 ) - BakedPigeon , Squall ASF , astrolad , Major_Lazer

St. Louis Rams ( 6 ) - squicken, nomartyme , souja , hokahey , overcast ,

Seattle Seahawks (3 ) - {Not me fuckers} - bluemax , Bishoptl , Hitoage , Vesmir

Is this missing anyone?

23-200.png

:jnc

RBH

The original United States Football League (USFL) lasted just three seasons, from 1983-1985, and included such notable players as Herschel Walker, Reggie White, Doug Flutie, Jim Kelly, Mike Rozier and Steve Young. Now, a quarter-century later, it's back.

And this time, instead of competing directly with the NFL, the plan is to have the USFL serve as a minor league for players hoping to graduate to the big time. This is the vision of Jaime Cuadra, who has acquired the USFL brand and will serve as president and CEO of what he hopes will be an eight-team league set to begin play next spring in non-NFL cities.
Cuadra has hired as a consultant Jim Steeg, the former San Diego Chargers COO, who, for 34 years, also served as the NFL's man in charge of Super Bowls and special events.

"I like the idea a lot," Steeg told the San Diego Union-Tribune's Nick Canepa. "I haven't talked to anyone who thinks the idea sucks. If you truly believe a triple-A spring football league has merit, this is the way to go. It's not meant to compete with the NFL. It will give players the opportunity to develop. There are 3,000 football players and only 1,800 roster spots in the NFL. Particularly with the NFL's new CBA, I think this kind of thing has a different place."

Cuadra understands that trying to take on the NFL is a fool's errand.

"The USFL and UFL did the same thing -- they weren't fiscally responsible," Cuadra said. "The XFL went totally gimmicky. It's not going to work with purists. NFL Europe was a great idea, but costly. We can see the mistakes that have been made and try to avoid them.

"We're going to play in the spring when fans are dying for football. We're going to take players who didn't quite make it to the NFL and develop them -- we're talking anywhere from 1,000 to 1,800 kids and giving them a living wage, $3,000-to-$3,500 per game, and give them unfettered access to the NFL. They will be paid by the league, to keep things under control."

And unlike previous professional football leagues, the new USFL will have an open-door policy with the NFL.

"The NFL can come to practices; if they want one of our players, we aren't going to stop them," Cuadra said.

As Canepa points out, there's still a lot to do. Like finding owners and venues. The early list includes: Akron, Ohio, Portland, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Austin, Texas, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., Birmingham, Ala., Omaha, Neb., and Baton Rouge, La.

"I see this as a league that opens doors," Cuadra said. "I see this as a need. I'd give it 75-percent odds that it will fly. I've had other businesses where I was told they weren't going to work. I've had some of that now; I've also had a lot of people tell me it's a good idea."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...ime-as-triplea-spring-football-league-for-nfl

Love The Departed.

Not as much as some of Scorsese's recent shit like The Aviator and Gangs of New York but dn fine movie.

Also Vera Farmiga's ass.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Love The Departed.

I was working at a movie theatre as a projectionist when the movie came out, for every showing if it wasn't too busy I'd always rush down into the theatre for the ending:

SPOILERS FOR ENDING OF THE DEPARTED!

I'd run down just before Leonardo DiCaprio gets shot in the head, I loved the reaction the women would have. They all came out the movie so angry about the ending.

Our vacuum lit on fire yesterday. Sparked two or three times right at the handle, where the cord attaches, and then flamed out and burned right through the cord.

So... bought a new Aerus today to replace it. Another $1k down the tubes.

2012 has sucked monster donkey dick. Can we get to 2013 al-fucking-ready?

bionic77

Couldn't you have gotten a cheaper vacuum?

That sounds like a lot of money for a vacuum cleaner (I am assuming that is what you are talking about).

What aliens? Those were female packers fans.

I loved it when Will Smith dragged him out of his spaceship and welcomed him to earf, the look on Gandalf his face was priceless. The only thing that really annoyed me was that he was dead the entire time, some parts of the movie just don't make sense because of it. I don't care that Nemo can see dead people.

I loved it when Will Smith dragged him out of his spaceship and welcomed him to earf, the look on Gandalf his face was priceless. The only thing that really annoyed me was that he was dead the entire time, some parts of the movie just don't make sense because of it. I don't care that Nemo can see dead people.

1333843907305.gif

Godslay

Banned
Just popped into to say Bell's has to be my favorite brewery at this point. Had Porter last weekend, picked up Amber Ale this weekend. I keep buying them and have yet to be disappointed. So far I have had Oberon, Two-Hearted, Hopslam, Porter, Amber and Winter Ale. Good stuff.

Just popped into to say Bell's has to be my favorite brewery at this point. Had Porter last weekend, picked up Amber Ale this weekend. I keep buying them and have yet to be disappointed. So far I have had Oberon, Two-Hearted, Hopslam, Porter, Amber and Winter Ale. Good stuff.

Never had a beer from Bells that I havn't enjoyed. Lucky to be in the state where the brewery is. We get alot of it on tap, especially the Oberon.

Pizza, wings and a couple glasses of 337 Cab here. Definitely feeling the buzz. Might need to round things out with a little Glenlivet 15 later.

Edit: Fuck. Double post.

This joint has amazing deep dish Chi style pizza. Go here like once a year.

Shit is delicious.

No beer though. Too filling. Haha

Top Bottom