• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Am I crazy for wanting more additions to our secondary? Or how about a new center or are we deciding to wait until next year?
Saturday and EDS should be sufficient.

A safety would be nice but none really stand out then again I'm not actively looking.

They'll probably draft more DEs and LBs as a roll of the dice from here on out.

Fox318

xO4on.jpg

Omega

Banned
I don't understand what the Steelers are doing. Our o-line has been crap and I welcome the additions and hope they take the offense to the next level, but to me the biggest needs were in the secondary and dline, and we did nothing to address either.

Maybe we can get teams in the playoffs to agree not to run it or pass it on us though and then we should be ok.

Wasn't your O-Line one of, if not the worst in the league?

Defense can only carry you so far.

Patriots were a dropped pass away from being the Superbowl champs and they had absolutely no defense at all.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Here's what Ed Bouchette had to say about the Adams deal:

Wow. That's impressive if true. And if he pans out like I hope he does, the o-line is (barring injury) officially solid. It's pretty crazy how line (both offensive and defensive) heavy the last few drafts have been. Center, guard, 2 OT's and 2 DT's in the last 4 years in the first two rounds (6 out of 7 picks).

Tomorrow for the Steelers should all about finding some diamonds in the rough. They are developing young guys at all of the need positions, save NT. And apparently, next year's draft should have 4 or 5 good ones.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Saturday and EDS should be sufficient.

A safety would be nice but none really stand out then again I'm not actively looking.

They'll probably draft more DEs and LBs as a roll of the dice from here on out.

I think TT had his eye on Jake Bequette in either this round or the next, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mully

Should we even believe him? He's 50/50 most of the time. He got Peyton to Denver right two weeks ahead of time among other things.

Doomsayer

Man, the Niners have a fucking ton of offensive talent now. All 11 starters coming back from the best defense in the league last year is hard not to get hyped about as well.

I know, bu bu bu Alex Smith.

He has too many weapons to not be effective. Two outside threats in Moss and Manningham, two underneath receivers in Crabs and VD. That doesn't even take into account Gore, Hunter, Jenkins, LaMichael James and that piece of shit Brandon Jacobs.

If we can get our RG position situated before the regular season starts our offensive has the potential to be explosive.

Hopefully tomorrow we can pick up a few depth players. I'm not sure how many picks we have but we can use a Safety, OG, DE/DT, and OLB.

I REALLY want to see Hunter and James on the field together in the backfield. Legit speedsters in the backfield would be a nightmare for linebackers.

ajf009

hahah oh god that Blount one.. amazing

on topic, I'm liking the Bear's draft so far. I think McClellin will be excellent opposite Peppers. I hope they pick up some linebacker & db depth tomorrow

eznark

Banned

on topic, I'm liking the Bear's draft so far. I think McClellin will be excellent opposite Peppers. I hope they pick up some linebacker & db depth tomorrow

An out of position defensive end and a Freeman sized receiver.

Yup, Bears made out like bandits.

If they move McClellan to a LB I would reconsider.

dabig2

Aye. People might be confused about the McClellan and Hardin picks, but both guys are fast, athletic, and versatile defensive players. And Jeffrey solidifies the WR rotation. Bears, for probably the first time in their long existence, have a respectable core of receivers. Good luck to GB and their press coverage this year.

With that said, Oline is still trash; McClellan needs to work on getting stronger, Hardin needs to stay healthy (sigh), and Jeffreys needs to stay away from Lou Malnatis. Otherwise, okay draft so far.

jakncoke

Banned
we drafted mike adams -_-,
at least it wasn't the first round
olb in the 3rd? lol ok.. derp

also lol @u baltimorelarry no nick foles for you! :p

Man, the Niners have a fucking ton of offensive talent now. All 11 starters coming back from the best defense in the league last year is hard not to get hyped about as well.

He has too many weapons to not be effective. Two outside threats in Moss and Manningham, two underneath receivers in Crabs and VD. That doesn't even take into account Gore, Hunter, Jenkins, LaMichael James and that piece of shit Brandon Jacobs.

If we can get our RG position situated before the regular season starts our offensive has the potential to be explosive.

Hopefully tomorrow we can pick up a few depth players. I'm not sure how many picks we have but we can use a Safety, OG, DE/DT, and OLB.

I REALLY want to see Hunter and James on the field together in the backfield. Legit speedsters in the backfield would be a nightmare for linebackers.

i'm not going to be a johnny-come-lately on AJ Jenkins because i didn't know who he was and still don't know too much but we have a really promising team. people like to talk shit on alex but show me another QB who got to the nfc championship game with less at WR than alex. you can't! most people couldn't tell me who the 49ers #3 and #4 WR's were for that NFC championship game and that's how it was throughout the year.

i don't know if we will win 13 games this year but i think we are going to be a better team than we were last year

cajunator

Banned
Akiem Hicks. Not familair with this guy at all but some new blood on the Dline is fine with me.

Edit: fuck I keep thinking " Hakeem Nicks"

Rooneys don't want a running team, they want balance. That makes sense. The offense is going to improve a lot by the subtraction of Arians.

DeCastro was the obvious pick in the 1st round. Dude was mocked in the top 10 in some places. The fact that he was still there at 24 was crazy, mostly because a couple of teams reached pretty badly in front of us.

Picking Adams had to be BPA.

We've been complaining about our shit OL for years. They just basically told us to shut the fuck up. The offense should be solid. Franchise QB just turned 30, decent running game, great young receivers, solid TE and now an OL that can get some work done. I like it.

I agree that our D is doing nothing but getting older and slower every time we look up. Yes, Hampton is almost out of gas, but we grabbed Hood and Heyward in the last two drafts. The line isn't completely fucked, but the middle will need an NT next year badly.

The secondary? Well, hopefully Woodley and Harrison and Timmons can get to the QB ...

Cagey

Banned

The 49ers added a ton of recognizable names, but precious little in terms of impactful players.

i'm not going to be a johnny-come-lately on AJ Jenkins because i didn't know who he was and still don't know too much but we have a really promising team. people like to talk shit on alex but show me another QB who got to the nfc championship game with less at WR than alex. you can't! most people couldn't tell me who the 49ers #3 and #4 WR's were for that NFC championship game and that's how it was throughout the year.

i don't know if we will win 13 games this year but i think we are going to be a better team than we were last year

Not to mention, good luck duplicating a +32 turnover margin and Alex Smith tossing a mere 5 INTs. Spoiler alert:
LOL it ain't gonna happen

Enjoy 9-7.

Doomsayer

I think we will be a better team next year as well, especially because we were pretty much only a defense last year.

Our wide receivers were seriously so terrible all of last year. I wonder if Braylon makes a difference against the Giants... doubt it. I really don't know anything about Jenkins either, just that he's fast and has natural hands. NATURAL FUCKING HANDS, something no one on this team has.

@Cagey, thanks for your totally insightful breakdown of the 49ers chances next year. I guess were doomed.

Alex will throw 20+ TDs and still have single digit turnovers. Book it.

minx

Kinda crazy how much better the Bears receivers are going to be this year. They were already one of the top scoring teams i the NFL before Cutler went down.

Cagey

Banned
@Cagey, thanks for your totally insightful breakdown of the 49ers chances next year. I guess were doomed.

Multiple players with unforeseen career years on one unit (defense, particularly the secondary)? Same unit (the defense) having an incredibly clean bill of health (only 8 adjusted games lost?) QB has a career year in terms of ball security? 49ers set record for fewest turnovers in a season? Turnover margin up around +30? Aging FG kicker goes a ridiculous 7/9 from over 50 yards?

None of these things are remotely sustainable. If the turnovers alone fall back to an ordinarily good margin in the ~+8-10 range, and Alex Smith manages to throw 21 TDs against 14 INTs (a fine season), you're looking at several additional losses.

So yes, sarcasm aside, this is a "totally insightful breakdown".

Doomsayer

Multiple players with unforeseen career years on one unit (defense, particularly the secondary)? Same unit (the defense) having an incredibly clean bill of health (only 8 adjusted games lost?) QB has a career year in terms of ball security? 49ers set record for fewest turnovers in a season? Turnover margin up around +30? Aging FG kicker goes a ridiculous 7/9 from over 50 yards?

None of these things are remotely sustainable. If the turnovers alone fall back to an ordinarily good margin in the ~+8-10 range, and Alex Smith manages to throw 21 TDs against 14 INTs (a fine season), you're looking at several additional losses.

Much better.

The players on our defense have ALWAYS been good, but had an absolute lame duck coaching. It was no surprise that once we have a legitimate staff the players produced, and the already productive players got more productive. There is really two players on defense that turned a solid unit into an elite unit, that would be Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner.

Akers won't be kicking an absurd amount of field goals this year. Our offense was putrid last year and Harbaugh knew it so we were extremely conservative in tight situations. Hence his stupid amount of FGs. We also have one of the best punters in the league in terms of changing field position.

I do agree that we aren't going to have a +32 TO ratio this year though, but it will be close. We make teams one dimensional, they play right into our plan on defense. Our front seven is second to none and it allows our defensive backs to do what they do best. Ball hawk.

Like I said we don't win 13 games this year, but we are still going to be contending for a Super Bowl.

I say this with confidence because we got to the NFCCG last year with Alex Smith as our QB and nothing at receiver. We have even a semblance of an outside threat (not to mention Tedd Ginn) we are in the Super Bowl.

The 49ers added a ton of recognizable names, but precious little in terms of impactful players.

Not to mention, good luck duplicating a +32 turnover margin and Alex Smith tossing a mere 5 INTs. Spoiler alert:
LOL it ain't gonna happen

Enjoy 9-7.

1. considering our receivers beyond crabtree for most of the season were tedd ginn, kyle williams and brett swain i would call manningham, moss and jenkins a great upgrade

2. of course we aren't going to have a +32 turnover margin, and we don't need it in order to win games. we are going to get better on offense with a full offseason. remember, we had a rookie coaching staff with no offseason and we made the nfc championship

3. eat a bag of dicks

I guess Woodson is going to be moving to safety semi-permanently. No way is Capers going to deal with another year of C Pep. Any safety we get from now on in the draft ain't gonna be the kind of impact safety we'd need who could start this year. Hopefully this new kid Hayward can step in and make a difference in Woodson's Nickel spot. Woodson will still be all over the place of course.

lol that is your insightful breakdown? "DEY CAN'T POSSIBLY SUSTAIN THEY GOOD PLAY! IT CAN'T HAPPEN! 9-7!" thumbs up there buddy you have me convinced!

Can't wait for the inevitable 49er letdown this season, it's gonna be beautiful.

you and cagey will both disappear come seasons end, just like all the other douchers who doubted us last year and were nowhere to be found when the phoenix rose from the ashes. it's ok though, i won't forget and when you show your faces around the thread after we've proven our point i'll be here to rub your faces in the semen that is our victorious season!

you and cagey will both disappear come seasons end, just like all the other douchers who doubted us last year and were nowhere to be found when the phoenix rose from the ashes. it's ok though, i won't forget and when you show your faces around the thread after we've proven our point i'll be here to rub your faces in the semen that is our victorious season!
Man if one competent season has turned you into this I can't wait to this then I can't wait to see what happens if you fluke into a superbowl.

Well, there are rumblings about Marvin Lewis and personnel decision-making. I don't know if those reports explain the past two drafts. All I can say is that they appear to have been very atypical for the franchise.

Man if one competent season has turned you into this I can't wait to this then I can't wait to see what happens if you fluke into a superbowl.

13-3 and a fluke fumble away from the superbowl is "competent"? lulz. more like a dominant season. this is what a normal season has always been for the niners. the beast has awoken and we have risen to the NFL elite again!

remember, we aren't the cardinals who have like 4 playoff wins in the past 50 years

Top Bottom