• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Love what Indy has done so far, although based off Colts messageboards, Im the minority. Apparently we were going to solidify our entire offense and defense in the first three rounds of one draft. *rollseyes*

Got the our new QB, the two best TE's in the draft which was a huge need since Tamme and Clark are no longer there (and they apparently plan on running a LOT of 2 TE sets) and potentially our new slot receiver and return man which we havent had in over a decade. IMO, it was a home run first two days. Did they address ALL their needs? No. Because anyone with any football knowledge at all knows this is going to take more than one offseason to transition to what Grigson and Pagano want our offense and defense to be, both of which are dramatically different than the type of players that are usually on a Colts roster. They went in to the draft with a plan, and they stuck with it. Pretty excited for today's last 4 rounds!

Only one pick I didn't like this draft which was the safety. I really want to see if McCourty can recover from last season, and I hope he becomes a solid corner.

Yeah, the Safety was a headscratcher, but I really like all the other picks. I hope they draft a CB or a WR who can also return kicks. Woody is a nice guy, but he can't return kicks.

Kosmo

Banned
That's what your took away from my post? Rofl. I tried.

Luck exists in the NFL, and I'm not talking about the new Colts QB. A marvelous stretch with no injuries on defense last season (to "key" guys or otherwise), recovering something like 65% of fumbles in games, historically low # of turnovers, +28 turnover margin, (this part's subjective) career years from previously bad players all mystically coinciding in the same season...

"SUSTAIN GOOD PLAY derp!". That's not "good play". That's miraculous play. In the NFL, a team that posts +10 in give/take is having a fantastic season. +28 is incredible... and highly unlikely to be duplicated. Don't take my word for it: these are historical trends, studied by people smarter than you or I. If you think +28 wasn't a gigantic reason the 49ers won 13 games, then the fuck am I doing responding in the first place?

The 49ers can easily sustain its good play from last year, but if that good play includes regression on a lot of the above towards what's normally "good" in the NFL, well... don't be mad when you're in a dogfight for the division at 7-6 come early December, trying to figure out how a 13-3 team could fall so far.

For your sake, I hope you're starting Kaepernick sooner rather than later, because Alex Smith can't throw a god damn 10 yard out pattern with consistency, and we all saw how comically easily it was to defend him in the NFCC because of that.

The 49ers kind of remind me of the Bears the last 10 years or so (at least until they show they can do it again this year). They have had years of incredible luck with regards to no injuries and crazy play on defense and then basically go 8-8 or worse the next 3 years. Look from 2001 on:

Year
2011 8-8
2010 11-5
2009 7-9
2008 9-7
2007 7-9
2006 13-3
2005 11-5

2004 5-11
2003 7-9
2002 4-12
2001 13-3

MechDX

Leinhart to the Raiders? Check downs in Raider nation? Al would be rolling!

hottub.jpg

squicken

I kind of like that they have a mean streak (as long as it isn't TOO bad). Sure beats that Spags "character" bullshit he fed us for years.

Definitely this. I still think Jenkins will always be a problem, but I do like the Montana CB. And how many teams can draft two guys have been tased in the past 18 months?

Lions draft last night was the worst thing I have seen in years. You fucking draft a WR?!?! This team has major needs elsewhere and you ignored them last night. Great. And then an undersized CB in Round 3. Best player available needs to DIE. NOW.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Can we push Massie back one more round?

ONE MORE ROUND
ONE MORE ROUND
ONE MORE ROUND

Niners trade to dolphins

That's what your took away from my post? Rofl. I tried.

Luck exists in the NFL, and I'm not talking about the new Colts QB. A marvelous stretch with no injuries on defense last season (to "key" guys or otherwise), recovering something like 65% of fumbles in games, historically low # of turnovers, +28 turnover margin, (this part's subjective) career years from previously bad players all mystically coinciding in the same season...

"SUSTAIN GOOD PLAY derp!". That's not "good play". That's miraculous play. In the NFL, a team that posts +10 in give/take is having a fantastic season. +28 is incredible... and highly unlikely to be duplicated. Don't take my word for it: these are historical trends, studied by people smarter than you or I. If you think +28 wasn't a gigantic reason the 49ers won 13 games, then the fuck am I doing responding in the first place?

The 49ers can easily sustain its good play from last year, but if that good play includes regression on a lot of the above towards what's normally "good" in the NFL, well... don't be mad when you're in a dogfight for the division at 7-6 come early December, trying to figure out how a 13-3 team could fall so far.

For your sake, I hope you're starting Kaepernick sooner rather than later, because Alex Smith can't throw a god damn 10 yard out pattern with consistency, and we all saw how comically easily it was to defend him in the NFCC because of that.

1. career years from previously bad players? like who? carlos rogers? dashon goldson? these guys were never bad players. they were put into a defensive system that they excelled in. tarrell brown was a previously bad player but again, he's finally put in a good system and he excels

2. i can just as easily say we DIDN'T need a +28 to finish 13-3 last year. there were multiple blowout games where we got multiple turnovers long after the game had been decided (bucs, 1st rams game, 1st cards game, browns game).

3. haha alex can't throw a "10 yard out pattern" with consistentcy? ok. tell me more about our QB, i know nothing about him even though i've probably seen every game in his career! alex can make every throw. his main issue is pulling the trigger. you bring up the nfc championship game: a game in 20 mph winds, a game in which we had our #1 WR, our #5 WR, #6 and #7 wr's playing in the game. alex missed receivers TWO times in that game that were open: on to kyle williams deep, one to crabtree on a shorter throw in the endzone. beyond that there was nothing more for him to do with our receivers. they did not get open. again not sure where the 10 yard out pattern comes from after watching that game.

you are too concerned with numbers rather than actually watching the games and seeing how the wins happened. i don't expect you to know what you're talking about anymore than the idiot talking heads on ESPN and NFLN. you check out the boxscores or go to pro football years and pull some stats out of your ass to support your position but you only actually watched a game or two of ours and think you know what you're talking about. you don't. but keep it up broham, after we walk all over people to another division crown i'm sure you'll have some excuse for our success just like everyone else does

overcast

haha another character guy. Well if he's fast I'm down. But they still only have 4 LBs on the roster
We need speed, so that's okay. I agree, I would have liked them to go LB. If not just to get a little more depth at the position.

Can't believe we got another guy who has a sketchy past lol.

Where's MechDX? Is he passed out drunk yet? I would assume the "Texans trying to trade Jacoby Jones" news would have sent him on a ticker-tape parade.

squicken

We need speed, so that's okay. I agree, I would have liked them to go LB. If not just to get a little more depth at the position.

Can't believe we got another guy who has a sketchy past lol.

Oh I don't really care about backup LBs. They can just grab those as undrafted FAs. But really, they took Pettus and Salas last year. Both those guys are just guys. No speed/slot types. They'll probably cut Pettus since he's suspended for roids.

Really don't know much about Givens. Guess he has medical and character issues. I do agree with the idea of gambling on a few guys. Boom/bust. Rams can't keep playing it safe like they did with Spags

overcast

Oh I don't really care about backup LBs. They can just grab those as undrafted FAs. But really, they took Pettus and Salas last year. Both those guys are just guys. No speed/slot types. They'll probably cut Pettus since he's suspended for roids.

Really don't know much about Givens. Guess he has medical and character issues. I do agree with the idea of gambling on a few guys. Boom/bust. Rams can't keep playing it safe like they did with Spags
Pettis took roids? Lol. Didn't know that. Yeah, I think if we're going to pick a WR this late he better be fast.

I still hope you're in for a long season Squicken. Going to be pretty ugly.

Doorman

Lions draft last night was the worst thing I have seen in years. You fucking draft a WR?!?! This team has major needs elsewhere and you ignored them last night. Great. And then an undersized CB in Round 3. Best player available needs to DIE. NOW.

I won't go so far as to say do away with BPA, but this does have me wondering a little about how exactly they put together their list of value and exactly what sort of players they're looking for. Broyles probably would have been a sensible choice at that spot in the draft if he was going to a team other than the Lions, given his track record. Not so sure about the classily-named Dwight Bentley (he prefers to go by "Bill" apparently? Fuck that) when man-to-man is apparently his biggest weakness, and probably what our defensive scheme will ask him to do a lot of. If he's ever asked to cover the likes of Brandon Marshall or, well, anybody on the Packers, we're probably screwed.

We have a pair of seventh-rounders, I'd like to see us pick up another corner there just to come in as one of those x-factor random late round steals that seem to be all the rage in the league lately.

Kosmo

Banned
LOL anyone watrching the NFL.com stream? Video of some draftee and his mom pigging out on paper plates on the couch.

Dad just got up to take a piss.

squicken

Pettis took roids? Lol. Didn't know that. Yeah, I think if we're going to pick a WR this late he better be fast.

I still hope you're in for a long season Squicken. Going to be pretty ugly.

Well last year they got beat like 24-7 usually. Now I think they'll lose 20-10. So it'll be progress.

http://101sports.com/category/rkarraker-blogs/20120427/Rams'-First-Choice-Proves-Perplexing/

That is pretty my position. I'm about 99% in agreement with Randy K on this team usually, so makes sense we'd see the draft the same way

Top Bottom