• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

yankeehater said:
I just wish more games were like the Witcher 2 that support the controller right out of the box.
A majority are. The Mass Effect series not having built-in 360 support was just a stupid fucking decision by EA/Bioware. It's rare for a new PC release NOT to support the 360 pad.

eznark

Banned
I play primarily on PC...and who cares what input device someone prefers? Talk about grognard shit in 2012. Controllers are the preferable control method on almost all games now anyway, even on PC because that's how the market is. There's only a handful of games that are markedly better with kb/m these days.

Controller + PC = Heaven

I'd like to see a source on this info. I highly, highly doubt it.

I use a controller on driving and platforming games when on the PC, that's about it. Can't imagine why someone would choose to use a controller for a FPS.

Get off my lawn.

bionic77

Yeah most modern shooters are slow as shit and don't really benefit as much from a kb/m.

That is probably why so many people still play CS, even though it is like a thousand years old at this point.

I really do wonder about the future of the gaming industry. It seems like this can't last. Right now the big games are the continuation of the big experience games (what some people call AAA gaming) that Sony started in the PSX era, shooters, and sports games. Gameplay hasn't really changed much if at all since the PS2 era but budgets are growing exponentially as the industry attempt to put out their shitty imitations of modern movies.

Nintendo gets shit for not going along with this philosophy but from a business point of view you can't really fault them. I mean MS losts billions on their two consoles before finally getting in the black just recently and Sony's 599 failure almost killed the company. Not sure the gaming industry can be profitable enough for all of these companies to survive in the future the way things are going. Maybe in the future we will all be gaming on $99 Roku boxes or whatever is the equivalent at the time (the rich kids like and ez and me will be gaming on our $299 Apple boxes). Considering how powerful they are getting it doesn't seem that farfetched. Roku and Apples for the casuals and PC for the hardcore.

Milchjon

Nintendo gets shit for not going along with this philosophy but from a business point of view you can't really fault them. I mean MS losts billions on their two consoles before finally getting in the black just recently and Sony's 599 failure almost killed the company. Not sure the gaming industry can be profitable enough for all of these companies to survive in the future the way things are going. Maybe in the future we will all be gaming on $99 Roku boxes or whatever is the equivalent at the time (the rich kids like and ez and me will be gaming on our $299 Apple boxes). Considering how powerful they are getting it doesn't seem that farfetched. Roku and Apples for the casuals and PC for the hardcore.

I don't know a lot about Apple TV/Roku, but from what little I gathered, isn't that basically the path MS (and others, of course) is trying to take with the XBOX? TV entertainment systems where gaming is just one aspect/feature?

MS is making huge profit off the 360 and would have been in the black really quickly if not for the RRoD problem. Even Sony is making a profit off the PS3 now. I think there will always be a place for a console like the 360/PS3. A large segment of the gaming population wants to play all the big games but doesnt need the absolute best graphics. If anything I think Nintendos spot in the industry is the 1 in trouble. Wii sales have crashed down to Earth and we have seen that Nintendo themselves cannot put out enough software themselves to support a console. They are very dependent on 3rd parties, and so far 3rd parties have shown they would rather go the 360/PS3 route.

bionic77

I don't know a lot about Apple TV/Roku, but from what little I gathered, isn't that basically the path MS (and others, of course) is trying to take with the XBOX? TV entertainment systems where gaming is just one aspect/feature?
I think MS wants to go to a subscription model. That is my guess. I think their console will be decently powerful as far as PC standards go but not cutting edge, have kinect included, and sell for $199 with some monthly subscription for like 20 bucks a month.

MS is making huge profit off the 360 and would have been in the black really quickly if not for the RRoD problem. Even Sony is making a profit off the PS3 now. I think there will always be a place for a console like the 360/PS3. A large segment of the gaming population wants to play all the big games but doesnt need the absolute best graphics. If anything I think Nintendos spot in the industry is the 1 in trouble. Wii sales have crashed down to Earth and we have seen that Nintendo themselves cannot put out enough software themselves to support a console. They are very dependent on 3rd parties, and so far 3rd parties have shown they would rather go the 360/PS3 route.
I believe MS is still not in the black if you consider the original Xbox as well but I could be wrong on that. Sony is in terrible shape and might not exist by the end of the decade. Also the state of the industry is pretty shitty if you follow the gaming side at all. How many development studies have gone out of business this decade? I mean most of the Japanese developers can't even afford to make HD iterations of their franchises. The only way some western devs have done it is to sell Xbox ports across two consoles and PCs and still sell DLC shit.

Nintendo is not in a good spot either, but the 3DS will be a success and they have that on lockdown for the present time at least. I don't know what is going to happen with the WiiU but Nintendo is probably doing the right thing by not selling it at a loss. They simply can't afford to play that game. They don't have Windows and Office to fall back on like MS.

I am surprised that you think the industry is in good shape, but maybe I shouldn't be after seeing a few of your other predictions.

eznark

Banned
Wilde and Nagler seem to think the James Jones rumor was the same rumor from pre-draft talks when it was reported they were looking for (and couldn't find) suitors.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I use a controller on driving and platforming games when on the PC, that's about it. Can't imagine why someone would choose to use a controller for a FPS.

Get off my lawn.

Speaking as a console peasant it just "feels" better when I'm playing for hours.

But I'm sure that will change after a few months of PC gaming.

Is there any fun multiplayer games coming out for PC in the near future?

By preferable I mean that's the control method that the developers had in mind when they designed the game. How many games, even shooters, are made with the PC (and in turn, kb/m) in mind first? Even though they show up and play better on PC, theyre designed for a console experience. What source do you need to know that shooters do not play like they used to? The keyboard over mouse argument was completely valid when we had games like Quake, Unreal Tournament, CounterStrike, etc. Most games today are slow moving and a much more controlled experience in general because they're designed around the functionality of a controller. I'm not saying the mouse isnt more accurate even in those same games that get ported to PC, but still. From map layout, gameplay decisions, player movement, weapons, etc, games are designed to be played on a controller because that's what is used on consoles, for better or worse. And that means the "advantage" of a keyboard/mouse isn't nearly what it used to be

eznark

Banned
What source do you need to know that shooters do not play like they used to?
Those steam diagnostic reports generally have that info, don't they? You didn't say games don't play the same, you said PC gamers are using a controller more than a kb/m.

Also, I'm not really all that much of a shooter player anyway. I'm guessing Paradox didn't have a controller in mind when they designed CK2 or Hearts of Iron.

Speaking as a console peasant it just "feels" better when I'm playing for hours.

But I'm sure that will change after a few months of PC gaming.

Is there any fun multiplayer games coming out for PC in the near future?

I'm playing Dota 2, Tribes, Battlefield 3 and Super Monday Night Combat intermittently. They're all fun.

Tribes is getting a fantastic patch; Acceleration. They are going to speed up the rate at which you unlock things. Right now it's glacially slow.

Milchjon

Gaming industry stuff

I still think it's baffling how the industry is struggling when you look at the sheer Dollar volume of it. There's obviously a lot of money being spent on gaming, and the costs are mainly human resources, which you shouldn't even need a lot of with the right ideas. How the hell are companies not able to find ways to make money?

I believe MS is still not in the black if you consider the original Xbox as well but I could be wrong on that. Sony is in terrible shape and might not exist by the end of the decade. Also the state of the industry is pretty shitty if you follow the gaming side at all. How many development studies have gone out of business this decade? I mean most of the Japanese developers can't even afford to make HD iterations of their franchises. The only way some western devs have done it is to sell Xbox ports across two consoles and PCs and still sell DLC shit.

Nintendo is not in a good spot either, but the 3DS will be a success and they have that on lockdown for the present time at least. I don't know what is going to happen with the WiiU but Nintendo is probably doing the right thing by not selling it at a loss. They simply can't afford to play that game. They don't have Windows and Office to fall back on like MS.

I am surprised that you think the industry is in good shape, but maybe I shouldn't be after seeing a few of your other predictions.

You are right about MS not being in the black if you count the OG XBOX but the 360 has been profitable and is doing amazing for them. You are right about a lot of devs being in trouble this gen, I never said anything about that in my post though. MS and Sony are both doing well this gen in terms of their games divisions. Nintendo was doing great but they lost money last year and the Wii is crashing hard. The 3Ds will make them a ton of money but the outlook for the WiiU is uncertain at best. I really wasnt saying that the industry is in great shape, but MS and Sony are not going to pack it up any time soon.

Those steam diagnostic reports generally have that info, don't they? You didn't say games don't play the same, you said PC gamers are using a controller more than a kb/m.

Also, I'm not really all that much of a shooter player anyway. I'm guessing Paradox didn't have a controller in mind when they designed CK2 or Hearts of Iron.

Yeah, preferable wasn't the right word. Just mean that the benefits are not like they used to be because of where the industry has gone.

I'll go back and forth a lot but personally I'd say I do most of my gaming on PC with a controller these days (haven't picked up Diablo yet though ;) ). Not into competitive multiplayer anymore

Anywhere that I can get a DOTA 2 invite?>

bionic77

You are right about MS not being in the black if you count the OG XBOX but the 360 has been profitable and is doing amazing for them. You are right about a lot of devs being in trouble this gen, I never said anything about that in my post though. MS and Sony are both doing well this gen in terms of their games divisions. Nintendo was doing great but they lost money last year and the Wii is crashing hard. The 3Ds will make them a ton of money but the outlook for the WiiU is uncertain at best. I really wasnt saying that the industry is in great shape, but MS and Sony are not going to pack it up any time soon.
MS isn't going anywhere, but I am not so sure about Sony. The Vita is already a flop and Sony isn't bleeding everywhere. If the PS4 isn't a hit pretty quickly they might go the way of Zenith.

I still think it's baffling how the industry is struggling when you look at the sheer Dollar volume of it. There's obviously a lot of money being spent on gaming, and the costs are mainly human resources, which you shouldn't even need a lot of with the right ideas. How the hell are companies not able to find ways to make money?
It is expensive to make these games that focus on the experience with nice graphics. Gamers speak with their wallets and that is what they want.

I prefer shorter games that focus more on gameplay and not so much on graphics but I am in the minority (the people who are right usually are). Then again I would be ok with the next gen consoles being high res Neo Geos where the console costs 100 bucks and the games were downloadable at 20 and under. I would miss my 3D sports games but I would be happy otherwise.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
good lord, I pay for Live because I have to (mainly for madden franchises). I don't love them for that. And that some of you can't manage your connections properly and blame a service for your low speeds is laughable.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, preferable wasn't the right word. Just mean that the benefits are not like they used to be because of where the industry has gone.

I'll go back and forth a lot but personally I'd say I do most of my gaming on PC with a controller these days (haven't picked up Diablo yet though ;) ). Not into competitive multiplayer anymore

Anywhere that I can get a DOTA 2 invite?>

I might have one, I'll check when I get home. Remind me if I don't.

good lord, I pay for Live because I have to (mainly for madden franchises). I don't love them for that. And that some of you can't manage your connections properly and blame a service for your low speeds is laughable.

I get great dl speeds on other other connected device I own but my PS3. Some times it is okay, but most of the time it is insanely slow. I dont see how that is a problem with me managing my connections, especially when so many other people have the exact same problem.

brentech

About to take my wii and 360 along with all the games and accessories (wii fit plus, wii wheels, those adapters from wii sports resort) to GameStop and see what kind of deal I can get for them.

I haven't used either system in over 8 months. So they're just losing value. Hopefully they'll be close to what it's all valued when I added it to amazon trade in

brentech said:
About to take my wii and 360 along with all the games and accessories (wii fit plus, wii wheels, those adapters from wii sports resort) to GameStop and see what kind of deal I can get for them.

I haven't used either system in over 8 months. So they're just losing value. Hopefully they'll be close to what it's all valued when I added it to amazon trade in
Their trade-in values on hardware are terrible, IMO. Especially if it's an older non-slim 360. Have you tried to sell local or on craigslist?

yankeehater said:
I get great dl speeds on other other connected device I own but my PS3. Some times it is okay, but most of the time it is insanely slow.
I've never had an issue with PS3 download speeds. It's as fast if not faster than the 360. Have you opened up the ports to the PSN? Or placed the PS3 on the DMZ of your router to see if its helped at all?

levious

I get great dl speeds on other other connected device I own but my PS3. Some times it is okay, but most of the time it is insanely slow. I dont see how that is a problem with me managing my connections, especially when so many other people have the exact same problem.

that many people don't bother to try and fix the problem doesn't make it any less ridiculous to me. I had connection issues with my xbox when I first got it. I looked into it and improved it, I didn't use it as a battle cry online to complain about the service.

eznark

Banned
that many people don't bother to try and fix the problem doesn't make it any less ridiculous to me. I had connection issues with my xbox when I first got it. I looked into it and improved it, I didn't use it as a battle cry online to complain about the service.

PSN downloads sucked when I was in Boston getting like 40 down and it sucks in Indiana where i get like 5 down.

brentech

Their trade-in values on hardware are terrible, IMO. Especially if it's an older non-slim 360. Have you tried to sell local or on craigslist?
if theyre way under amazon trade in, I'll just go through that. They provide a free shipping label. I just want to get rid of it.

Going through Craigslist if probably not be rid of it all for some time.

MechDX

I have the same issues with my PS3. I have done all the router modifications I can and it still doesnt get any better. Ive learned to deal with it but it gets worse since Sony seems to update the PS3 weekly.

Football Outsiders has an article on play action passing and which teams used it most effectively (and didn't). Worth reading if you're starved for some football news:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-play-action-offense

Specific to the Giants:

However, the biggest difference was not in Jacksonville, but in New York. The Giants finished with the fourth-best passing offense in the NFL, but said offense actually went from excellent to poor with the threat of a handoff. Big Blue had a 41.3% DVOA last year on pass plays without play-action, but that dipped all the way down to -21.1% on the fake. The Giants didn't run the ball much at all, and didn't run much play-action when they did. One anecdotal reason for this is that the Giants were so much more effective with three receivers on the field: as we showed in our preview of the strategic tendencies tables, the Giants tended to be most effective out of 11 personnel (i.e. one back and one tight end), and tended to use that more than any other formation. Just 18 percent of their plays out of that formation were runs. Naturally, without much on tape of them running from the formation, New York didn't have much reason to play-fake out of it either. The Giants ran a play-action pass with three or more wideouts on the field just nine times all season.

eznark

Banned

They are awesome if you are putting it towards something. I got a free Vita by trading in two DS's and a first gen ipod touch thanks to the crazy combo deals they had going on

What are you talking about? None of that was a battle cry, someone had asked why people preferred one service over the other and I think better dl speeds seems like a reasonable reply to that. I have not tried forwarding my ports or setting the DMZ so maybe it is a simple fix and I will look into that, but I think you are over reacting a bit. I am Sony fanboy,remember.

eznark said:
They are awesome if you are putting it towards something. I got a free Vita by trading in two DS's and a first gen ipod touch thanks to the crazy combo deals they had going on
Some of the combo deals they have for trade-ins are good, yeah. The increased trade-in value deals towards certain games are pretty decent as well. I tend to stay away from just straight up hardware trade-ins without such deals or getting cash because the value is so terrible though.

jakncoke

Banned
well at least this place got steady internet, so you guys will have to put up with my :baltimorelarry

suckas!

13_display_image.jpg

brentech

Some of the combo deals they have for trade-ins are good, yeah. The increased trade-in value deals towards certain games are pretty decent as well. I tend to stay away from just straight up hardware trade-ins without such deals or getting cash because the value is so terrible though.

I put a cancel on my VITA order from Amazon for the time being, it processed. So I might see what they can do towards a VITA.

bionic77

You should never go to Gamestop. Not even if it were on fire and people were screaming for help and you could probably save them. They made their choice, now they have to live with it.

There was this invention called the internet (Nintendo has also never heard of it) that makes selling stuff easier than ever. Go on Craigslist and make one post for your xbox shit and one for your wii stuff with another post for anything that stands out and can sell on its own. Be sure to meet in a public place. Added bonus if you get an FMT type and you are into it you can even make some extra bucks by whoring yourself out and you might get a new friend in the process. Try that at Gamestop!

levious

What are you talking about? None of that was a battle cry, someone had asked why people preferred one service over the other and I think better dl speeds seems like a reasonable reply to that. I have not tried forwarding my ports or setting the DMZ so maybe it is a simple fix and I will look into that, but I think you are over reacting a bit. I am Sony fanboy,remember.

oh sorry, the battle cry comment wasn't about you specifically, that wasn't clear. but yeah, try some things, there's a good chance that it's an easy fix.

bionic77

Who else is watching the NBA Finals tonight?

I hope Durant confirms that he is the worlds best player by outplaying LeBron during the Finals. If LeBron wins I don't think I can handle what ESPN will do in the aftermath.

Travis Beckum is going to be running today at the teams practice. 4 months after his ACL tear:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-bowl-acl-tear-travis-beckum-will-run-today/

“I’ve done everything except running,” Beckum said, via Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News. “Been in the pool a lot. I’ve been sprinting in the pool, making my glutes strong, my hamstrings, my quads. So all that stuff has a factor on how my knees going to hold up.”

Beckum is exercising caution and says he will only run in a straight line and will stop if he feels any discomfort.

“If my knee says, ‘Travis, relax,’ I’m going to back off,” Beckum said. “I just had an ACL surgery. I expect pain. But as far as where it’s at, if it’s more in the front, then I’m going to need to back off a little bit.”

Good chance he'll be on the PUP list for the start of the season and will actually play.

Greg

Who else is watching the NBA Finals tonight?

I hope Durant confirms that he is the worlds best player by outplaying LeBron during the Finals. If LeBron wins I don't think I can handle what ESPN will do in the aftermath.
The playoffs have been great so far - I can't wait for the game tonight.

I hope LeBron puts up monster numbers every game and hits every game-winning shot. I can deal with the praise he'll get if he wins, but I can't take any more bitching from salty Cleveland fans/haters in general.

bionic77

You can play within lets say 6-8 months of an ACL with aggressive rehab, but it takes 1-2 years to get back to 100%.

Though you can argue a talented TE can probably get by at 75-80% and still contribute to the team. It isn't like they have to make crazy cuts on their knees as much as some other players do.

bionic77

Wade does not look like a college kid in that pic.

Also fuck the Heat. I don't really love the Thunder because they might take over the NBA and make it impossible for the Lakers to get another ring anytime soon, but it is still better than the Heat...

eznark

Banned
Wade does not look like a college kid in that pic.

Also fuck the Heat. I don't really love the Thunder because they might take over the NBA and make it impossible for the Lakers to get another ring anytime soon, but it is still better than the Heat...

Greg Oden in high school:

ODENPROF.JPG

He looks like he is 50

LJ11

Football Outsiders has an article on play action passing and which teams used it most effectively (and didn't). Worth reading if you're starved for some football news:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-play-action-offense

Specific to the Giants:

Knew the Bills would be dead last, they're rarely under center but you can still get ball action out of the gun. Good to great run game as well even though they try to outnumber you rather than overpower/finesse you at the point of attack.

I'm not sure why they don't run more PA, I know the writer posits longer snap + PA = more time but GB lives in the gun as well, though they may under center a bit more than the Bills. A breakdown of gun vs center would be nice.

College run game seems to have the edge when it comes to running and using PA out of the gun, NFL is a dinosaur in this area.

Top Bottom