• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

One-off trivia question:

Ricky and LDT retired this offseason, leaving one active player with 10,000 rushing yds. He's not currently signed but has not retired. Who is this player?

squicken

The running back position is dead.

The NFL was almost always a two back league, until we had a weird period in the 90s where the feature back dominated. Since that was also the time when fantasy football took off and scoring systems were locked in, there's a perception that it had always been that way

But historically, outside of a few elite runners, most teams have used a multi-back system

Sanjuro

It's true, but teams were more willing to have a guy pound the ball until his early to mid-30's. Coming out of college currently, you're going to be lucky to still be in the league at twenty-seven.

jakncoke

Banned
kinda funny the difference between 25 and say 5 on the charts really isnt all that much. Although I guess it could be seen as lot more even if the numbers are not that great as by the time most rbs hit the numbers needed for 25th all time they are pretty much done

It's true, but teams were more willing to have a guy pound the ball until his early to mid-30's. Coming out of college currently, you're going to be lucky to still be in the league at twenty-seven.

I believe the average half-back in the NFL plays around 3 years in the league. I heard that somewhere...

squicken

Well it's possible we had a talent anomaly in the 90s where there were guys who just stayed better, longer. Faulk, Sanders and Smith are rare talents who would have been featured guys in any era. What I think is different now is with guys like Bettis and Martin. Very good but not great (and neither should be in the HoF) players that in the current game would be replaced earlier in their careers with less expensive alternatives.

jakncoke

Banned
hmm it seems my math in my head was a little off

562 over 3 years to reach that
422 over 4 years to reach that
337 over 5 years to reach that

squicken

In 20-30 years it'll all be the running game again as defenses adjust.

In 20 or 30 years the NFL will be:

1) Long since sued into oblivion

2) Flag football league of only passing

3) Played using robots or criminally condemned cyborgs (James Harrison 2035 MVP future prop?)

bionic77

Someone post of a picture of John Cusack holding the boombox with Fatman's head on it to represent the love between SNES and gator.

Also Rors congrats on getting a date with the model. Raider fan or no I always knew you could do better than that homeless woman with the vagina that smelled and leaked like rotten garbage.

jakncoke

Banned
That would be funny if CFL got swallowed up into the nfl and it became like al and nl. Where if you play in a cfl stadium you play by cfl rules and nfl by nfl rules

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I would put it farther. I mean, when was the last time a running back won a Super Bowl?

Yeah it's probably more like 30 years, 20 years seems too soon. I feel like we've reached the apex of the passing game with last season though.

I could be wrong though since the passing game seems to have only become more important since the creation of the NFL and to my knowledge hasn't gone through passing/rushing revolutions like baseball does with batting/pitching.

eznark

Banned
Yeah it's probably more like 30 years, 20 years seems too soon. I feel like we've reached the apex of the passing game with last season though.

I could be wrong though since the passing game seems to have only become more important since the creation of the NFL and to my knowledge hasn't gone through passing/rushing revolutions like baseball does with batting/pitching.

As safety concerns start to become All Important, passing stats will only skyrocket. The next step is going to be penalizing contact on airborne receivers.

eznark

Banned

RichardPetty2.jpg

Wes

venison crêpe
@JeromeSolomon
Breaking news: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson arrested last night in Houston for resisting arrest by HPD. Bond set at $1,000.

Top Bottom