• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/reed-sheds-more-light-on-his-plans/

“The only way we protect ourselves, … the only way a player gets what he wants is by holding out,” Reed told 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore, via Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun. “So if Ray Rice doesn’t show up, so be it. If Joe Flacco didn’t show up and got a contract, so be it.”

Reed explained that he thinks the NFLPA “messed things up” last year, and that he believes he needs to stick up for other players on the issue of getting paid.

No Reed or Suggs and just Old Man Ray Lewis left would probably be the end of Baltimore's run

Milchjon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/reed-sheds-more-light-on-his-plans/

No Reed or Suggs and just Old Man Ray Lewis left would probably be the end of Baltimore's run

So delicious.

Speaking of which, one last (hopefully) notebook question: Does anyone see anything absolutely wrong with this one?

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/u-series/u410

Personally, this seems like a nice compromise. I don't see how spending ~$500 more on a MacBook is justified in my case on a tight budget.

squicken

So delicious.

Speaking of which, one last (hopefully) notebook question: Does anyone see anything absolutely wrong with this one?

Personally, this seems like a nice compromise. I don't see how spending ~$500 more on a MacBook is justified in my case on a tight budget.

That doesn't seem to offer much in the way of an SSD. I can't tell you how much better than makes computer usage. I'll say this for Apple: those Retina screens are amazing. First time in awhile I've actually thought they had a decent value proposition b/c they offered a tangible hardware upgrade. But otherwise I can't help. I don't use laptops. So my only advice is get an SSD and stick an old drive in an enclosure for when you need extra space.

squicken

And now for my own product advice solicitation

Any of you guys camera people? My Mom wants some fancy camera she saw on TV, only she can't remember what channel or the brand. It's like a $1000 though I imagine that was probably the MSRP. So any recommendations on a high quality camera that is very easy to use but has the ability to zoom a long way w/o changing lenses? I know nothing of cameras so I've just been reading Cnet for answers

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I read that WSJ article, and it's a farce because it didn't mention interminable TV timeouts as a primary reason the stadium experience suffers. High speed Internet won't do shit to fix that, and the NFL will never change it so attendance will keep gradually eroding. I attend a lot of college games and it's bad enough there, with less tv timeouts than the NFL.

Add in drive time, parking, walking to stadium, standing around waiting for play to resume, etc. and the only way to justify going to a game is as a (really expensive) social experience with the added bonus of some football.

Milchjon

That doesn't seem to offer much in the way of an SSD. I can't tell you how much better than makes computer usage. I'll say this for Apple: those Retina screens are amazing. First time in awhile I've actually thought they had a decent value proposition b/c they offered a tangible hardware upgrade. But otherwise I can't help. I don't use laptops. So my only advice is get an SSD and stick an old drive in an enclosure for when you need extra space.

Both of those seem to be legitimate objections but I'm not sure they're worth the upcharge to me.

squicken

Both of those seem to be legitimate objections but I'm not sure they're worth the upcharge to me.

As far as the screen that definitely is a luxury item. You can always add an SSD later so you don't have to buy one now. Good upgrade down the road if you'll be using this device for awhile.

Wrayfield

So delicious.

I'm a fan. Usually very well rounded stuff. Might not have the best specs on paper, but my previous Lenovos worked everything perfectly.

But, if you want to play certain games, you might check compatibilty of your graphics card. Some mobile cards are just weird.

eznark

Banned
SSD is exponentially more important than the retina screen. It's going to be months before a large percentage of sites/programs take advantage of the high resolution.

bionic77

I agree. SSD is a must.

Milchjon

I'm a fan. Usually very well rounded stuff. Might not have the best specs on paper, but my previous Lenovos worked everything perfectly.

But, if you want to play certain games, you might check compatibilty of your graphics card. Some mobile cards are just weird.

That's good to hear.

I agree. SSD is a must.

It's a "must" that forces me to get a machine that's >$200 dollar more. This one uses a hybrid solution where the OS and other stuff you use a lot is stored on a small SSD. Boot times seem to be in line with SSD-only notebooks.

I'm used to slow HDDs ;-)

I think I'll just go with this.

You can buy an 80 dollar 128 gb SSD if you look. I'm sure there's cheaper ones. You can replace the drive yourself if they give you an OS disk to reinstall with. If not you can try disk cloning but that'll require some configuration and messing with.

If you were to do it, get it before you start using your machine. Definitely worth it in my book. Just won't be able to keep your music or video library on there

brentech

Gee, how did you break it? That reminds me of some gruesome shit back in the day.
Was playing co-ed recreational slow pitch softball league. Had played first base the first 4 weeks of the season, then our left fielder was out of the game for a few innings and I covered for him since much of our team is slow, and you gotta play alternate guy/girl every position. 4 person outfields.

Ball was hit to the girl in left-center and I was running to cover behind her (guys aren't allowed to just run in front of girls and make all the plays, lol). I slipped in wet grass since it was a night game and dew was building up. All the weight transferred to my right ankle and is dislocated and broke 3 times over.

Milchjon

Incidentally, how much is the delivery to Germany? I don't need one now, but perhaps in the future...

I'll order from a German shop, so no delivery fee and a student discount.

I'll just follow NeoGAF advice thread standard protocol: Listen closely to what everyone has to say, completely disregard it and come back later to whine.

Wrayfield

Was playing co-ed recreational slow pitch softball league. Had played first base the first 4 weeks of the season, then our left fielder was out of the game for a few innings and I covered for him since much of our team is slow, and you gotta play alternate guy/girl every position. 4 person outfields.

Ball was hit to the girl in left-center and I was running to cover behind her (guys aren't allowed to just run in front of girls and make all the plays, lol). I slipped in wet grass since it was a night game and dew was building up. All the weight transferred to my right ankle and is dislocated and broke 3 times over.

Shit, man. Get well.

Fox318

I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry, or be angry.

xJQpz.jpg

WOW at those Penn State allegations. If that Freeh Report is true (which I'm absolutely inclined to believe because there's no way that pattern of behavior on such a scale could continue to go on for fourteen years without institutional cover-up at the highest level), Penn State shouldn't have a football program for a while.

I don't believe the NCAA has the balls to do it(let's face it, they're a business and they are going to protect themselves first, worry about doing the morally right thing second), but they should bring the death penalty out. If USC gets hammered because Reggie Bush got a house, how can the NCAA justify not bringing the harshest punishment possible for a program where certain individuals used their power and privilege to halt investigation of criminal activity (thereby enabling a child molester to run free on their campus) just to protect the sanctity of the football program.

Absolutely disgusting.

/soapbox

I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry, or be angry.

xJQpz.jpg

:jnc

Fox318

WOW at those Penn State allegations. If that Freeh Report is true (which I'm absolutely inclined to believe because there's no way that pattern of behavior on such a scale could continue to go on for fourteen years without institutional cover-up at the highest level), Penn State shouldn't have a football program for a while.

I don't believe the NCAA has the balls to do it(let's face it, they're a business and they are going to protect themselves first, worry about doing the morally right thing second), but they should bring the death penalty out. If USC gets hammered because Reggie Bush got a house, how can the NCAA justify not bringing the harshest punishment possible for a program where certain individuals used their power and privilege to halt investigation of criminal activity (thereby enabling a child molester to run free on their campus) just to protect the sanctity of the football program.

Absolutely disgusting.

/soapbox

:jnc

I was debating this with the GF and I believe the NCAA should institute the death penalty against ALL of the sports for Penn State for 10 years.

Allow athletes to keep their scholarships and allow them to transfer to other schools.

NCAA would never do it but their should be a Black-Sox like example made of Penn state.

I was debating this with the GF and I believe the NCAA should institute the death penalty against ALL of the sports for Penn State for 10 years.

Allow athletes to keep their scholarships and allow them to transfer to other schools.

NCAA would never do it but their should be a Black-Sox like example made of Penn state.

Why would you punish the womans basketball team for this? Every sports team would be dropped from what ever league/conference they are in over a 10 year ban.

jakncoke

Banned
If the ncaa balls they would, but thankfully they dont. So i can watch football, horrible football im sure for years to come. It's going to take a bit to recover from this judging by what happened to our recruiting class this year. Ohio St and Pittsburgh and probably Maryland will be thrilled

edit: lol just seen 10 year ban. get the fuck out goon.

if we got the death penalty, i wonder how long would it take to recover

A long fucking time. If the get the death penalty the big 10 would drop them for sure, so they would have to come back as an independent. PSU is no Notre Dame, and they would have a hard time recruiting without being in a major conference. I think if they do get the death penalty, and it looks like they will, they will never be a national power again.

jakncoke

Banned
A long time.Maybe never.Would parents want their kids going to a school that did that?

smu slightly recovered. but they arent the same as penn st. smu basically sucked for all their life outside the years they werent buying players. penn st has tradition, long historied tradition. this taint wont last forever. fuck i wouldnt be shocked if the only people talking about it 3-4 years is internet trolls/nerds.

jakncoke

Banned
A long fucking time. If the get the death penalty the big 10 would drop them for sure, so they would have to come back as an independent. PSU is no Notre Dame, and they would have a hard time recruiting without being in a major conference. I think if they do get the death penalty, and it looks like they will, they will never be a national power again.

we won a lot before we went to the big 10, in fact we won more outside the big 10 than inside the big 10.. so thats not factual.

smu slightly recovered. but they arent the same as penn st. smu basically sucked for all their life outside the years they werent buying players. penn st has tradition, long historied tradition. this taint wont last forever. fuck i wouldnt be shocked if the only people talking about it 3-4 years is internet trolls/nerds.

You are not looking at this correctly at all. Say they get a 4 year ban, which I think is reasonable. That means they have to start all over again, with a new coach and a team that would be almost all freshmen. They would either be independent or in some small conference. All the money that PSU gets from the big 10 now would be gone. They would have to go out and find teams willing to play them, which wouldnt be easy since they will be pedoU for a long time now. They are not going to get the same players anymore and them team will struggle, the alumni that havent abandoned the school are not going to be very happy supporting a loser. I really think PSU is a minor football school going forward when this is all said and done.

we won a lot before we went to the big 10, in fact we won more outside the big 10 than inside the big 10.. so thats not factual.

Football has changed a lot lately. It is all about power conferences now. ND cant even compete any more as an independent, now way can PSU.

Top Bottom