• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

Is there a reason for lower attendances when the overall popularity of the NFL seems to increase all the time? Ticket prices? HDTVs? Red Zone Channel?

Football isn't really fun as a spectator sport but is awesome on HDTV. And you can buy a year's worth of DirecTV + Sunday Ticket and a new HDTV for the price of season tickets.

Is attendance lower across the league?

Small but steady decline the past 5-10 years

* Wifi access for the low price of 9.99 per quarter.

4G is all the high speed Internet I need.

Semi related... anyone have a good source for high res sideline game shots?

Is there a reason for lower attendances when the overall popularity of the NFL seems to increase all the time? Ticket prices? HDTVs? Red Zone Channel?
IMO, it's because the in-stadium experience is garbage at certain venues. Watching on an HDTV is a superior experience than watching a game in the Edward Jones dome (not picking on St Louis, but living in the area it's the NFL stadium I'm most familiar with). And watching from home or a sports bar obviously costs less, so it's a no brainer.

On the other hand, if your team is playing at the likes of Lambeau or Arrowhead and you can (somehow) get tickets, you go see the game in person. No exceptions!

Bowser

Is attendance lower across the league?

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior year’s 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. That’s the lowest per-game number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total regular-season contests.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...in-2007-nfl-attendance-steadily-has-declined/

UberTag

Which one? Hue said DMC was about to come back like 2 weeks after the injury. Then he kept repeating it the whole year, and then after they lost the final game he said DMC would have been back for the playoffs and that he was really close.
Trading for Run DMC in the GAF money league cost me a league victory.
Hue Jackson's lies were the primary reason for this faux pas.
Good riddance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IMO, it's because the in-stadium experience is garbage at certain venues. Watching on an HDTV is a superior experience than watching a game in the Edward Jones dome (not picking on St Louis, but living in the area it's the NFL stadium I'm most familiar with). And watching from home or a sports bar obviously costs less, so it's a no brainer.

On the other hand, if your team is playing at the likes of Lambeau or Arrowhead and you can (somehow) get tickets, you go see the game in person. No exceptions!

Yes--dealing with idiotic drunk fans, paying $20 for parking, $7 nachos, etc.

The NFL should not be surprised.

I wonder what would happen if I pour salt all over my chest and put a clam on it.

AuVbL.gif

Not to mention that every break in the action (which, this being football, is the vast majority of the time) is spent under constant barrage from deafening terrible stadium music, VS at home where you can watch 20 replays of the last drive or turn your attention to another game.

squicken

I really think it has more to do with the in-home experience than the stadium experience. Tickets are more expensive, but ballpark concessions have always been ridiculously priced.

But I don't think anyone knows how to combat big screens and iPads and smartphones. It's just generally harder to get people to leave their houses for any entertainment. I was reading something earlier in the year that the next big TV thing for sports will be programming for two screens. The networks want to beam all sorts of interactive stuff along with what is going on in the game.

They know people are on the PCs or tablets during the game already, that other people are making money off of that, and they want that money. Digital rights access is going to be a huge money pool for the NFL. Unlike most everything else on the internet, you can make money on streaming live events

I did a lot of work with clams and other bivalves when I was still finishing my zoology requirements.

That's not a tongue, it's a "foot" which is essentially a muscular limb intended for moving the clam on the waters bed. Salt agitates the clam, and the one in the video is essentially trying to escape frantically.

Not to mention contact with salt on the foot would be a lot like rubbing table salt in your eye or urethra.

With that said, still a pretty funny video.

Milchjon

I did a lot of work with clams and other bivalves when I was still finishing my zoology requirements.

That's not a tongue, it's a "foot" which is essentially a muscular limb intended for moving the clam on the waters bed. Salt agitates the clam, and the one in the video is essentially trying to escape frantically.

Not to mention contact with salt on the foot would be a lot like rubbing table salt in your eye or urethra.

Now I understand why eznark likes that video so much.

So that was a torture video?

bionic77

I was given Bengals season tickets for life as a joke. I've been to one game.
It's easy to talk a big game when the wife is not around.

I might change diapers and take care of my kids (serious crimes in Green Bay), but as the man of the house I choose which teams the family roots for.

Dragon

Banned
Bernard Pollard is bordering on Ulf Samuelsson territory for me.

Especially considering his tackle this year severely hurt the Pats' chances in the Super Bowl.

Slo

If only Jared Allen would have starred in the movie Zookeeper. It would have been the highlight of your life.

Yes I was. Um, Whiskey Bent Valley Boys finally released an actual album and it is on Spotify.

I just downloaded Spotify for this, but I can't find the album. Are there region locks on Spotify for certain songs that anybody knows ?

Edit:
- Wanted to give the latest HoneyHoney album a listen, not there.
- Trampled by Turtles - Blue Sky and the Devil, not there.
- Whiskey Bent Valley Boys, not there.

Stupid spotify

Top Bottom