• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

jakncoke

Banned
Knee/thigh pads being necessary is so dumb. Are there a lot of guys missing significant time due to a charlie horse?

Scraped knees on turf too! gotta watch out for dem NFL players. Fuck their brains dude, they got knee scratches and charlie horses to worry about!

I could understand some knee wraps or something. If you've ever played football (seems like you have) you know just how fucking pointless those leg pads are. Except the tail bone pad...that is legit!

Hey, thigh pads are good for providing a drum beat during warmups!

eznark

Banned
knee and thigh pads mandatory for the 2013 season per espn app update.

i still feel like concussion-protection type helmets like the riddell revolution should be mandatory.

Wrong manufacturer. If Nike licenses the tech, the NFL will surely mandate it though.

jakncoke

Banned
Although i recall a Steeler missing like 8 weeks with a deep thigh bruise a couple seasons back, perhaps thigh pads would of prevented that

MechDX

I read somewhere the inclusion of thigh pads and hip pads would slow down receivers which was the ultimate conclusion for mandating them.

Meier

Being a top 2 receiver on the Bucs isn't really saying a lot. He's not particularly good and he has injury problems.

I actually thought his contract was reasonable though? Maybe I misread it.

Oh I agree, but I still think it was a bit reactionary by Schiano and Dominik. But oh well, what can ya do. I'm a fan of Clark so I'm not too bothered by the actual leaving of K2.

Obviously silly to compare a CB to a TE, but to even suggest that Samuel is in the same league as K2 or in the same echelon at their respective positions is patently absurd.

Knee/thigh pads being necessary is so dumb. Are there a lot of guys missing significant time due to a charlie horse?

Did you ever take a helmet to the thigh pad area? Shit hurts even with the pad!

really, though, i don't care if they're mandatory or not. Never seemed pivotal to protection

Wrong manufacturer. If Nike licenses the tech, the NFL will surely mandate it though.

i dont think nike licenses the tech. i thought they only have an apparel/jersey deal. you'll still see plenty of players wearing riddell revo's, schutt ions, and stupid ass 1980s tech helmets with leather chinstraps. players still have freedom to wear power brand shoulder pads and flak jackets and under armour cleats so it isnt mandatory that every player wear nike stuff.

There's been a huge increase in ACL injuries. Gotta do something.

ACL injuries are caused mostly by planting though. while a traumatic blow to the knee when your leg is planted may cause an acl tear, the impact isnt fully necessary. so a knee pad would really help all that much, but a thigh pad could help against contusions.

I read somewhere the inclusion of thigh pads and hip pads would slow down receivers which was the ultimate conclusion for mandating them.

i can see that. when i played, all the skill postions players wanted to find the smallest/thinnest knee and thigh pads available in the equipment room even though they were mandatory. the general thought was bulky thigh pads would slow you down.

edit: eznark, i think i misinterpreted your quote. i see what youre saying now. yeah, if nike had rights to tech and all they offered were concussion protection helmets then i agree they would be mandatory.

eznark

Banned
i dont think nike licenses the tech. i thought they only have an apparel/jersey deal. you'll still see plenty of players wearing riddell revo's, schutt ions, and stupid ass 1980s tech helmets with leather chinstraps. players still have freedom to wear power brand shoulder pads and flak jackets and under armour cleats so it isnt mandatory that every player wear nike stuff.

That was a joke. Supposedly Nike made a very, very hard push to get this mandate passed, even providing examples of new equipment they'd provide.

i.e., Goodell is in bed with Nike!

kTmFT.jpg

The helmet looks so weird on him.

minx

Meh, Detroit gets the AFC South and NFC West this year, 2 divisions with 1 decent team in each division right now. Then the Falcons and Eagles as opposed to the Cowgirls and 49ers of last season.And the Bears got worse while the Vikings are coming in with a borked AP and still raw team. If anything, I think the schedule will be a bit easier than last year.

Falcons and eagles will be tough and toss up games, while the AFC South gets rolled over and the NFC West produces 1 legit game and the return of handshake gate. Packers will be Packers, Bears and Vikings compete for 3rd. I think Detroit will be just fine

I would love to hear how they got worse. They added Marshall. That alone changes our entire offense, not to memtion getting rid of Martz. I won't talk about draft picks because no one knows how theirs will turn out. We were 7-3 before Cutler went down and now have arguably the best backup QB and best number #2 RB in the league.

eznark

Banned
I would love to hear how they got worse. They added Marshall. That alone changes our entire offense, not to memtion getting rid of Martz. I won't talk about draft picks because no one knows how theirs will turn out. We were 7-3 before Cutler went down and now have arguably the best backup QB and best number #2 RB in the league.

You guys are going to dominate the pre-season

Bears are garbage

Brandon Marshall shows up to 50% of his games and who knows what he will bring to the offense when, after week 3, he realizes Jay doesn't target him every pass attempt. Your defense isn't getting any younger and the secondary is still a patch job. And what is arguably the most important issue in Chicago didn't get upgraded at all. With the ridiculous pass rush generated in the NFC North, the Bears continued to mumble something bout being ok with their O-line. I wonder if Jay is ok with the O-line when he chips his nail?

And I know you said you were not going to talk about the draft picks, and that is the right approach to take. But fuck the right approach. You drafted a 250 lb DE in the first round and a fat WR who signed his contract so early so he could buy food in the 2nd round. I am clearly not a scouting expert and a fan of a franchise who likely has more busts in the draft than any other team in the NFL, so I will gladly eat crow if these guys work out well, but I don't think i'll have to.

jakncoke

Banned
Brandon Marshall shows up to 50% of his games and who knows what he will bring to the offense when, after week 3, he realizes Jay doesn't target him every pass attempt. Your defense isn't getting any younger and the secondary is still a patch job. And what is arguably the most important issue in Chicago didn't get upgraded at all. With the ridiculous pass rush generated in the NFC North, the Bears continued to mumble something bout being ok with their O-line. I wonder if Jay is ok with the O-line when he chips his nail?

And I know you said you were not going to talk about the draft picks, and that is the right approach to take. But fuck the right approach. You drafted a 250 lb DE in the first round and a fat WR who signed his contract so early so he could buy food in the 2nd round. I am clearly not a scouting expert and a fan of a franchise who likely has more busts in the draft than any other team in the NFL, so I will gladly eat crow if these guys work out well, but I don't think i'll have to.

They actually didn't draft Alshon Jeffrey to play WR. They drafted him to be OL. It's a project though but under current trends he will reach weight goal by the end of the summer.

lol.

Talon

Redskins and Cowboys lost their appeals, so their penalties stand:
The NFL announced Monday that it is taking away $36 million from the Washington Redskins' salary cap space and $10 million from the Dallas Cowboys because of forewarned incidents during the 2010 uncapped season.

The money will be distributed to 28 other NFL teams' cap space -- excluding the Raiders and Saints -- in a sum of $1.6 million. Dallas and Washington can choose to lump the money during the 2012 and 2013 off-seasons, whichever they deem more appropriate for their franchises. The NFL is evenly redistributing the fines in case of any legal ramifications from the NFLPA.

Bowser

HOW IS THIS NOT FROM THE ONION:

Stanford’s offensive coordinator is getting a new formal title as the school has announced the Andrew Luck Directorship of Offense.

Luck, the former Stanford quarterback picked first overall by the Colts in the NFL draft, has been honored by an anonymous donor who endowed the Directorship in his name.

“It is a tremendous honor to hold this position and to be associated with an outstanding young man like Andrew Luck, who means so much to Stanford football and the Stanford community,” Stanford offensive coordinator Andrew Luck Director of Offense Pep Hamilton said. “I will do everything in my power to proudly continue the tradition of creative and exciting offensive football at Stanford.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nces-the-andrew-luck-directorship-of-offense/

eznark

Banned
I'm currently inquiring with Minnesota to find out how much it would cost to change Don Lucia's title from Head Coach to Bitchmade Cunt.

RBH

Falcons owner Arthur Blank hosted his peers at his home last night. Owners meeting starts in a few minutes/

The NFL dropped 1 element of its controversial pad proposal, the requirement to wear hip pads. New proposal encompasses just thigh and knee

Pash says owners updated NIOSH findings that NFL players live longer than average americans.

Pash says NIOSH study showed rate of suicide for former players below US averaage, but says not good enough

Owners on their own, without union, will pay survivor benefits to widows of pre 1993 players.

Will fund medical research outside of the CBA because it cannot reach agreement with the NFLPA. Will work with NIH.

McKay says authority delegated to labor committee implementation of trade deadline move, but union agreement needed.

McKay says the knee and thigh pad requirement will occur in 2013 season, but says union input needed.

McKay says common sense says the pad rules will make them safer, differing with NFLPA call for more research

On survivor benefits for pre 1993 player widows, NFL is agreeing to pay 51% of them, same percent as for legacy benefits.

http://twitter.com/#!/dkaplanSBJ

minx

You guys are going to dominate the pre-season

Or you know, have some needed depth. Not having a good backup QB prevented us from getting to the Superbowl and Playoffs the past two years. Having a starting RB as your backup is great as every team uses a multiple RB threat. These additions made us better, not worse.

I agree about our offensive line, that's my biggest concern. But look at the weight of some of the best DE in the league. They don't have to weigh a lot. Take Jarred Allen for example. I know Jeffery is easy to pick on due to his weight gains but I'm willing to bet he turns out to be a great pick. We went to one of the shortest and worst WR corps in the NFL to one of the tallest with a lot of potential. Regardless, even if some of our picks don't work out and Marshall only shows up half the time, we didn't lose anyone significant at all. We still got better.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
not having a #1 qb you can rely on is a lot worse than lacking depth at the position, take it from a dallas fan.

Talon

Pash says owners updated NIOSH findings that NFL players live longer than average americans.
See, this is a silly comparison.

It'd make more sense to compare football players to other professional athletes.

Top Bottom