• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Osi fired his agent today. Drew Rosenhaus incoming!

EDIT: Hines Ward hired by NBC as an analyst..

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-pittsburgh-steeler-as-analyst/1#.T8gvJ2t5mSM

Michelle Beadle left the mother ship? That show she was on and her career are now over.

Also picked up Civ V in the Steam sale this last weekend. Started playing that and having fun, too.

I love my new laptop!

I've been playing V. I've had it since launch and am just now getting around to it. So far, I think IV was better. The ai is too dumb to play the sophisticated wars.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've been playing V. I've had it since launch and am just now getting around to it. So far, I think IV was better. The ai is too dumb to play the sophisticated wars.

I much prefer the combat in V, but overall the game doesn't feel as deep as IV. I'm hoping the upcoming V expansion helps out there.

I also need to grab Baldur's Gate II at some point. GOG.com has it for $10. Might bite on that. I played the first one but not a ton; never played II.

Also, the new Heroes of Might & Magic.

And I haven't finished Skyrim yet and now the expansion is coming. And I haven't even started Witcher 2.

Dammit. Good thing there's still 90+ days til football season starts.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I also need to grab Baldur's Gate II at some point. GOG.com has it for $10. Might bite on that. I played the first one but not a ton; never played II.

Also, the new Heroes of Might & Magic.

And I haven't finished Skyrim yet and now the expansion is coming. And I haven't even started Witcher 2.

Dammit. Good thing there's still 90+ days til football season starts.

I think Crusader Kings 2 is still on sale over at Amazon. Activates on Steam.

Just got an SSD set up for my desktop. 95 bucks for 120 gb so prices seem to finally be somewhat reasonable. Damn this thing is speedy. course I'm also on a fresh install of Windows but still... noticeably quicker.

squicken

I really thought that we'd have Moon hotels by now. When I think of all the money we've wasted on poor people it makes me sad :(

eznark

Banned
I really thought that we'd have Moon hotels by now. When I think of all the money we've wasted on poor people it makes me sad :(

Now that the government has handed over the space race to private corporations we will be there within 25 years. SpaceX has advanced rocket efficiency more in the last five years than the gubmint did in 60.

squicken

I'm not sure the private sector will ever be able to scale up to manned flight. Not many entities can absorb the loss of a billion dollar satellite. Besides the US Govt, I'm not sure any entity could have absorbed two space shuttles blowing up

eznark

Banned
I'm not sure the private sector will ever be able to scale up to manned flight. Not many entities can absorb the loss of a billion dollar satellite. Besides the US Govt, I'm not sure any entity could have absorbed two space shuttles blowing up

A private company never would have launched Challenger with the known o-ring failures. The political pressure just doesn't exist.

That said, manned flight isn't really the goal. Decreasing the cost to orbit is the ultimate goal, at which point the government will steal additional tax dollars to license that rocket tech and set even more ill-gotten proceeds on fire to re-start NASA's shuttle program.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
a private company's economic pressure would easily sub in for whatever political pressure you're envisioning in that scenario.

eznark

Banned
a private company's economic pressure would easily sub in for whatever political pressure you're envisioning in that scenario.

False, because as squicken said, investors would pull out at the loss of a billion dollar asset. The profit motive is supreme. There are always taxpayers the government can rob, but private companies don't have that luxury (or maybe SpaceX will get too big to fail!)

And if they did launch and fail, their sources of capital would simply leave and find someone capable, not keeping dumping money into the same failed organization.

bionic77

Just got an SSD set up for my desktop. 95 bucks for 120 gb so prices seem to finally be somewhat reasonable. Damn this thing is speedy. course I'm also on a fresh install of Windows but still... noticeably quicker.
SSD is the biggest upgrade you can made these days for your PC or laptop (outside of gaming).

I upgrade last year to my MBP and it was night and day, especially the difference in shutting down.

Do they really need Hines Chower and the bus

NBC will be unbearable
Hines might not be bad. He tells it like it is. We will see though.

eznark

Banned
SSD is the biggest upgrade you can made these days for your PC or laptop (outside of gaming).

False, but it is the most awe-inspiring upgrade you'll make. It doesn't really add anything to your PC in terms of "upgrading" it, it just makes it faster than FMT nutting to a picture of the cuckold on the toilet.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
False, because as squicken said, investors would pull out at the loss of a billion dollar asset. The profit motive is supreme. There are always taxpayers the government can rob, but private companies don't have that luxury (or maybe SpaceX will get too big to fail!)

And if they did launch and fail, their sources of capital would simply leave and find someone capable, not keeping dumping money into the same failed organization.

is this why no private airline has ever had a crash?

wait, what's on the toilet? fmt, the cuckold or the pic?

bionic77

False, but it is the most awe-inspiring upgrade you'll make. It doesn't really add anything to your PC in terms of "upgrading" it, it just makes it faster than FMT nutting to a picture of the cuckold on the toilet.
In terms of how fast apps open and the general "speediness" to a computer, it is the biggest upgrade you can make in my opinion.

A 2 year old i5 with an SSD on a laptop is going to feel faster than a new i7 with some shitty 5200rpm 1 TB drive. The difference is very noticeable.

The only problem is size. I only have 128 gigs in my laptop, whereas the old drive had 500. But I will gladly take that tradeoff for the gains in speed.

squicken

You just blew his mind.

The airlines haven't really been private companies since the 30s. I'm not taking a big stance on this, but if people actually had real choice, no one would put up with the current state of air travel. I'm just not sure what the alternative is.

jakncoke

Banned
In terms of how fast apps open and the general "speediness" to a computer, it is the biggest upgrade you can make in my opinion.

A 2 year old i5 with an SSD on a laptop is going to feel faster than a new i7 with some shitty 5200rpm 1 TB drive. The difference is very noticeable.

The only problem is size. I only have 128 gigs in my laptop, whereas the old drive had 500. But I will gladly take that tradeoff for the gains in speed.

Cant you just use a SSD for speed/important data and a platter for not important data?

eznark

Banned
is this why no private airline has ever had a crash?

First, the scale is magnitudes different. The cost of a plane is barely a fraction the cost of putting a craft into orbit. Airlines are also insured. As yet, no agency has been willing to insure space flight.

The big difference though is the revenue source and the immediate utility to that stream. Private space enterprises are wholly dependent upon private (and more importantly patient) equity as there is no incoming cash flow. The fee for ferrying cargo to the ISS covers roughly 20% (at best) of the fuel cost. These companies literally hemorrhage money every day with expected returns 20 years in the future. It's a patient mans game. A single disaster costing lives would represent a massive fail rate. Additionally, there is no utility for the common man on the horizon. If SpaceX succeeds or fails in their launch last week, we go about our day.

Passenger flight, however, is a utility. Airlines can absorb crashed because society needs flight. The costs (both to society and to the company itself) of a plane crash are a tiny fraction of the same costs to a space exploration entity. Once you have "proven" something to the point where society accepts it is safe, you can afford a certain fail rate. Until you reach critical mass, however, each failure is magnified.

Yeah, but it doesn't allow your computer to do anything new, so I don't really consider it an upgrade. It's definitely something I would suggest everyone buy though.

Milchjon

Ez, as someone much less opposed to state intervention I do enjoy reading your arguments. You seem like a smart dude. Now if only you had a heart.

bionic77

Cant you just use a SSD for speed/important data and a platter for not important data?
That would be ideal, but you can't do that in a lot of laptops as they don't always have room for two drives.

I am mostly a laptop guy at this point in my life. The last PC I owned was like 7 years ago. I loved that thing though, but I am almost always on the go these days and it doesn't fit my lifestyle anymore.

If I ever get a different job or change my preference of OS again I look forward to building and turning on a new PC. That first week of running the new PC you just built is awesome.

Slo

If we stacked the countries poor people on top of each other, how close to the moon would it get us? Two birds, one stone.

If we stacked all the women in Wisconsin up, would it get us to Mars?

eznark

Banned
If we stacked the countries poor people on top of each other, how close to the moon would it get us? Two birds, one stone.

If we stacked all the women in Wisconsin up, would it get us to Mars?

If we rounded up all the Minnesotans and butchered them....

Sorry, I was daydreaming for a second. You were saying?

Top Bottom