• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

eznark

Banned
It's weird. In other sports people usually have enough respect for the championship that winning one championship is the be all end all.

I would say in hockey, if you are able to drink from Lord Stanley's Cup once, you're career is complete.

You don't often hear back and forth about how many a player has won. It's really strange.

Respect how hard it is to win once. Don't get caught up in counting rings.

image.php

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sorry for your loss Gata.

It's weird. In other sports people usually have enough respect for the championship that winning one championship is the be all end all.

I would say in hockey, if you are able to drink from Lord Stanley's Cup once, you're career is complete.

You don't often hear back and forth about how many a player has won. It's really strange.

Basketball is such a different beast. Success is measured in dynasties.

Edit: Damn Gata sorry to hear that.

Rings aren't the focal point in hockey, hoisting the cup is. I honestly think that's a big part of it.

The biggest arguments for multiple championships come from the NBA and NFL - both leagues which put a huge emphasis on championship rings.

Crisco

Banned

I mean, he brought it on himself. He literally counted the rings he was planning on winning out loud, in front of an audience.

Objectively, Miami had it's best team his first season with the Heat, and they lost in the Finals primarily because of his poor play. The next two years, his superstar performances elevated a declining team to two championships. This year, the decline of Wade finally caught up with them and it was like he was back in Cleveland, in his first finals against the Spurs. So he's really 2-3 in Finals that were actually winnable, while accumulating the stats and MVPs to solidify his claim as the best player of all time, on paper at least.

Unfortunately, that loss to Dallas and the unvindicated boasting will hurt his legacy compared to a lot of lesser players with more Finals success,

Draxal

My problem with soccer is that soccer fans are always trying to compare it with football ... when the more compareable sports are soccer to hockey and soccer to lacrosse. And I prefer hockey to soccer.

eznark

Banned
I thought about putting a disclaimer to keep you from responding but I decided not to. Should have gone with my gut.

Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> baseball

Then I guess I will refrain from posting about baseball in here.

Oh wait I already do that because I am considerate of others.

dionysus

Yaldog
A young kid said stupid things. Most athletes have at some point or another. I personally think that in the age of 24/7 ESPN, Deadspin, blogs, sports talk radio, etc etc. trying to constantly grab attention that this polarizes the fans. Mild dislike of Lebron at 19 years old turns into hatred since you can't escape stories and commentary about him. It works the other way as well creating uber fans, but it seems there is an ever shrinking middle ground.

Tebow, Favre, Lebron, JFF, A-Rod...People love or hate the circus that surrounds these overexposed athletes, but in my opinion the athletes themselves have done very little to justify the strong feelings.

ShaneB

Rings aren't the focal point in hockey, hoisting the cup is. I honestly think that's a big part of it.

The biggest arguments for multiple championships come from the NBA and NFL - both leagues which put a huge emphasis on championship rings.

The difference is the Stanley Cup being a unique trophy. Plus it's just a difference in how the sports are constructed. The NBA is no doubt a superstar driven league, and NFL teams often live or die by QB play, so there is that focus. Depth wins championships sure, and that is much more prevalent in hockey when you're rolling 4 lines all game.

edit: Also, my condolences Gata :( Been a rough time for you.

bionic77

Oh wait I already do that because I am considerate of others.[/QUOTE]
Not so sure that is true.

Welcome back!

I played basketball yesterday with a guy who looked exactly like your fraudulent franchise quarterback! In looks only. He was just ok at basketball and did not appear to be a world class douchebag.

Tom Penny

My problem with soccer is that soccer fans are always trying to compare it with football ... when the more compareable sports are soccer to hockey and soccer to lacrosse. And I prefer hockey to soccer.

Soccer is kind of comparable to the flopping Habs of hockey.

eznark

Banned

Oh wait I already do that because I am considerate of others.[/QUOTE]
Not so sure that is true.

Welcome back!

I played basketball yesterday with a guy who looked exactly like your fraudulent franchise quarterback! In looks only. He was just ok at basketball and did not appear to be a world class douchebag.

I'm stunned a 5'5'' dude was even ok.

The difference is the Stanley Cup being a unique trophy. Plus it's just a difference in how the sports are constructed. The NBA is no doubt a superstar driven league, and NFL teams often live or die by QB play, so there is that focus. Depth wins championships sure, and that is much more prevalent in hockey when you're rolling 4 lines all game.

edit: Also, my condolences Gata :( Been a rough time for you.

I don't think depth really matters in any of these sports as far as championships are concerned. In the NHL they still talk about the 1st and second liners more than the rest of the schlubs just like any sport. I agree that the Stanley Cup being a unique trophy is a major difference. You never hear a football player talk about winning the Vince Lombardi trophy - it's always "a championship" or "the Super Bowl".

Hunter S.

I don't think depth really matters in any of these sports as far as championships are concerned. In the NHL they still talk about the 1st and second liners more than the rest of the schlubs just like any sport. I agree that the Stanley Cup being a unique trophy is a major difference. You never hear a football player talk about winning the Vince Lombardi trophy - it's always "a championship" or "the Super Bowl".

Patrick Roy
One of the most famous quotes in hockey.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy is saying because I have my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.” – Patrick Roy, 1993 in response to “Patrick Roy is washed up” – Jeremy Roenick.

No matter what you call it is still winning it all. You're trying to make it sound like changing the words used changes the goal in the sport. When no matter what they seek the same goal. To be number one. You are not making much sense.

Also with football if you lose one game you're done so you get crazy stuff like the 2012 Ravens winning a SB. In a best of 7 series with only 5 players per team at any given time it's only natural that the same teams will end up making deep runs in the playoffs year after year. Much more room for error with that structure.

eznark

Banned
It had a "No Colors" sign on the door. Meaning no biker/gang colors.

Some fucktard in Milwaukee tried to sue a bar over a similar sign last year thinking it means no blacks. Amazing.

Narag

It had a "No Colors" sign on the door. Meaning no biker/gang colors.

Some fucktard in Milwaukee tried to sue a bar over a similar sign last year thinking it means no blacks. Amazing.

Well, shit, you really do learn something new everyday.

MechDX

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...red-and-learned-from-his-mistakes/#20666101=0

"I was a kid who made some goofball decisions," Manziel said of last offseason. "That's been part of my journey. Maybe it's part of the whole Johnny Football deal that I'm trying to get away from. I'm trying to show people I've grown up, and I've learned from my experiences. I feel like you're a stupid person if you continue to make the same wrong decisions.

Fucking self serving jackass. His bust out of the league will be glorious.

Top Bottom