• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

5'7" and 165 lbs. Fine with the weight, but I'd like to replace the fat with some muscle. Since I stopped drinking soda ten days ago, I've dropped five pounds simply through day-to-day activities. Hoping I can keep it up.

bionic77

image.php

Kas Stats:

Strength: 7/10
Speed: 8/10
Reflexes: 9/10
Jumping: 4/10 (Bad ankle has permanently messed that up)
Heart: 10/10
Intelligence 0/16

US Patent office cancels the trademark on the Redskins football team:

http://thinkprogress.org/default/20...cancels-trademark-for-redskins-football-team/

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled six federal trademark registrations for the name of the Washington Redskins, ruling that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and thus cannot be trademarked under federal law that prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.

The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning.

“We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,” the board wrote in its opinion.

manfestival

Talon

So will this cause the rest of the dominoes to fall?
USPTO can't halt the sale of goods.
"The case, Blackhorse v. Pro-Football, Inc., is largely symbolic, and the outcome is unlikely have a major impact on the Redskins because trademark officials do not have the authority to halt the sale of goods containing Redskins images or logos, nor can they order the team to pay damages to the petitioners. However, having an unregistered trademark could make it harder for the Redskins to prevent trademark infringers from selling and importing knockoff paraphernalia."
Link
Well this is annoying. Big government stepping in. Gotta love the GOV meddling in non issue affairs and forcing their own opinions on things. I do somewhat agree with their findings but I feel that they really shouldnt be attempting to force the name change all of the sudden. Just reeks of lobbying.
We have rules governing against granting slurs trademark status. Words that were acceptable decades ago become unacceptable. It happens.

Well this is annoying. Big government stepping in. Gotta love the GOV meddling in non issue affairs and forcing their own opinions on things. I do somewhat agree with their findings but I feel that they really shouldnt be attempting to force the name change all of the sudden. Just reeks of lobbying.

It's not like the USPTO randomly decided to cancel the trademark though; looks like it was the ruling from a challenge from a Native American woman.

USPTO can't halt the sale of goods.
"The case, Blackhorse v. Pro-Football, Inc., is largely symbolic, and the outcome is unlikely have a major impact on the Redskins because trademark officials do not have the authority to halt the sale of goods containing Redskins images or logos, nor can they order the team to pay damages to the petitioners. However, having an unregistered trademark could make it harder for the Redskins to prevent trademark infringers from selling and importing knockoff paraphernalia."
Link
The "however" part is the first thing that came to my mind. The franchise could lose a lot of money from the sales of knockoff memorabilia which I could see pushing them farther towards changing the name.

eznark

Banned
I can't wait to sell bootleg Redskins merch when Snyder changes the logo. NFL and Washington Football Club can't do shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Jeep and whoever makes Aunt Jemima are probably shitting themselves.

Talon

It's not like the USPTO randomly decided to cancel the trademark though; looks like it was the ruling from a challenge from a Native American woman.
This is the second time it's been challenged in the last ten years. They pulled it, but the Court of Appeals turned it back on a legal technically rather than on the merits of the decision.
the petition was barred by laches - an equitable legal theory which prohibits a party from waiting so long to file a claim that it becomes unfair to the other party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-Football,_Inc._v._Harjo

bionic77

:lol @ Redskins

Why are all of you posting your height and weights?

This reminds me of the lamers in IRC in the 90s who started every conversation with A/S/L...

eznark

Banned
We have rules governing against granting slurs trademark status. Words that were acceptable decades ago become unacceptable. It happens.

Problem for me is that the USPTO is saying the term was racist even when they originally approved the trademark, now are deciding decades later that it's even racistier I guess.

Garbage.

bionic77

Problem for me is that the USPTO is saying the term was racist even when they originally approved the trademark, now are deciding decades later that it's even racistier I guess.

Garbage.
You really have been away for a long time.

Sorry to break the news to you this way ez but you are no longer the resident expert on racism and bigotry. While we will all still respect your accomplishments in these respected fields the crown currently belongs to KAS.

Talon

The Washington Representatives: Excellent at blocking, not so good at passing. Mascot: Sad version of the bill from Schoolhouse Rock

eznark

Banned
How is that garbage? Standards change. This was fucking acceptable 53 years ago:

They aren't claiming the standard has changed, that's my point. They are saying they approved an offensive trademark. Were I Snyder's lawyer I would probably use that admission to force the feds to pay for all costs incurred in changing the name.

This isn't about whether or not the name is offensive, it obviously is, it's about the USPTO accepting responsibility for the spreading of that racist speech.

Top Bottom