• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Greg

Do it. Donkey and MK are both supposed to be fantastic. If I had time I would definitely get one. Has some good games on it.

Speaking of games I just got a 2nd PS4 controller and FIFA. Also bought Totoro for kids to watch this weekend when I will be gone most of the weekend. This is on BLarrys suggestion. Went into a best buy to do this. That's a rare occurrence for me!
2nd controller for when I visit? I can't wait!

bionic77

I have four controllers. Playing Towerfall four player is fucking awesome.
For 180 bucks it had better be awesome.

Wish these greedy fucking companies would give a discount on buying multiple controllers at once. Online really isn't shit compared to playing with someone in the same room.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Wish these greedy fucking companies would give a discount on buying multiple controllers at once. Online really isn't shit compared to playing with someone in the same room.

In a lot of ways, gaming didn't really get much better than four Wavebirds, Smash Bros. Melee, Timesplitters 2, or Double Dash back in the day.

:bionic

Dragon

Banned

Agreed. Kinda why I really like that couch multiplayer is coming back in a big way thanks to indie devs.

bionic77

In a lot of ways, gaming didn't really get much better than four Wavebirds, Smash Bros. Melee, Timesplitters 2, or Double Dash back in the day.

:bionic
I actually didn't love any of those games.

I think I was getting too old by that point to convince 3 friends to play those games with me. My main multi for some time has been FIFA and Winning Eleven.

But honestly it doesn't even take that good of a game to have a blast playing multi locally. When it's a good game and people are into it then it is a ton of fun.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I actually didn't love any of those games.

I think I was getting too old by that point to convince 3 friends to play those games with me. My main multi for some time has been FIFA and Winning Eleven.

But honestly it doesn't even take that good of a game to have a blast playing multi locally. When it's a good game and people are into it then it is a ton of fun.

I didn't realize you were older than me because I was in my late teens / early 20s playing those games.

Unless you've always been an old man promoting the virtues of healthy eating and how at all of 20 years old you would say: "I'm too old to eat fast food, that just ruins my day and I feel horrible at my age".

Don't tell gaming side that. The shitstorm over Miyamoto's comments on oculus rift is a sight to behold.

Dragon

Banned
Don't tell gaming side that. The shitstorm over Miyamoto's comments on oculus rift is a sight to behold.

It's more most of the comments there defending Miyamoto are shitting on online games. There are games that work better with couch multiplayer and then there are games like Destiny which work way better with how online is integrated. Making a general statement saying one is inherently better than the other is dumb. And Miyamoto is a dinosaur anyway.

Spinluck

Leaning hard towards a WiiU this might happen as early as today.

There is no reason not to do this Kave

Spin's top 5 games this gen do far (that he's actually played).

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)- It is a punishing platformer but don't be a pussy, the SNES ones were harder, along with DKCR Wii (Jesus that game). This one is the best one imo, some levels are crazy good, and the soundtrack is quality.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)- Best Fire Emblem regardless of what gaming side says. To quote what some of them have said, "it is not a true Fire Emblem game" lol, wut? This game is a must for any fans of strategy and 3DS owners. Admittedly it is only one of four 3DS games I own.

3. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)- Not better than the Galaxy games, but still incredibly good. Especially if you have friends. The levels and power ups are amazing.

4. Resogun (PS4)- Really good arcade game with awesome visuals. I think it is getting this insane DLC pack that is going to make it even better. It is simple but really deep at the same ttime, and it feels rewarding whenever you accomplish anything.

5. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- Luigi gifs.

Games I should pay: Kid Icarus 3DS, Phoenix Wright 3DS, Luigi's Mansion 3DS, Zelda 3DS, Professor Layton 3DS, Killer Instinct (don't have Xbone), Child of Light.

Notable mentions: Infamous Second Son, Towerfall Ascension (this game is only good if you have friends), Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, LEGO Marvel, Don't Starve, FIFA 14 (PS4). I am probably forgetting some but if I can't remember them then that's not a good sign.

As you can see, the Wii U steals the top spots on this official* list. It is as cheap as $200 refurbished on Nintendo's site if you don't believe it to be worth the price new (I here good things about the refurb models, "like brand new," and not a single complaint).

Don't be like Gata or BG who bailed before the games arrived. Join the Wii U fam now!

squicken

Good read for Browns GAF

Profile of Mike Pettine by Greg Bedard

But the key to a revival this fall will come on defense. Play well on that side of the ball, limit turnovers on offense and suddenly you’re in every game. That’s why the Browns were content to go the slow route with the quarterback position, until they traded up four spots to land Johnny Manziel in the first round of this year’s draft. Pettine and general manager Ray Farmer want to follow the path blazed most recently by the Seahawks and the 49ers.

----

“We felt this entire draft class, every single one of [the quarterbacks] needed a redshirt year, with Johnny really being the only one that had a chance given the right circumstances to be an opening-day starter,” Pettine says. “It could happen, but in my ideal world, it’s not opening day.”

----

Pettine told a story of how, at Wes Welker’s wedding, Tom Brady bragged a little bit to Jets outside linebackers coach Mike Smith, who was Welker’s college roommate, that the Patriots may or may not have had possession of a couple Jets defensive playbooks.

“It didn’t shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway,” Pettine says. “He gave one out to [Alabama coach Nick] Saban and I was like, ‘Don’t you know Saban and Bill [Belichick] are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it’s going to end up in New England.’”

----

“One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player,” Pettine says. “You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can’t be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time—when we had him, we didn’t want him thinking. We would build it like, ‘Hey, line up here and go, and we’ll make it right around you.’ We’ll give the thinking to the guys around you. We’ve put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players.”

It's more most of the comments there defending Miyamoto are shitting on online games. There are games that work better with couch multiplayer and then there are games like Destiny which work way better with how online is integrated. Making a general statement saying one is inherently better than the other is dumb. And Miyamoto is a dinosaur anyway.
It seems pretty obvious that interaction with a physical human being is inherently better than interaction with a disembodied voice.

For example, all the nasty language that gets thrown around in DotA matches would be somewhat muted if you had to worry about being punched in the face when you called someone a "talentless useless bitch".

Therefore I would argue it's not dumb at all.

squicken

Some really good stuff in there for football geeks as well. Talks about install and general coaching theory as well

“I don’t want to be ground-and-pound,” says Pettine, distancing himself a bit from Ryan’s mantra with the Jets. “People have already attributed that to us. But I don’t. I want to score points. But I think you have to have the ability, especially here in Cleveland.”

The Browns will also run their offense with a variety of tempos, because Pettine knows firsthand that doing so gives defensive coordinators more trouble than always running up-tempo, like the Eagles and Bills.

“I think you need to vary tempo, like New England does, which is smart,” Pettine says. “What I found going against our offense [during practice in Buffalo] is it just got rhythmic. I do have to call faster and have a sense of urgency, but then it’s like anything else, you get into a rhythm. Plays over, call the play. Plays over, call the play. When your brain can think that way, it’s very beneficial.

“It’s tough when you have a certain tempo and then all of a sudden it goes 800 mph for a series. The whole rest of the game as a playcaller, I’m sitting there with one eye on the field, one eye on the call sheet thinking, Are they going to do it again? Then you end up rushing a few calls later in the game because there’s the implied threat of up-tempo. I think that’s something that smart teams do, something we’re going to do here. We’ll mix our tempos between going absolutely as fast as we can, code word, one-word calls everything (again, like New England), and we go. And then we’ll practice all those tempos, and go as slow as possible as well.”

Ugh, this behavior is disgusting. Get this thug out of the league already.

Richard Sherman involved in fight at Seahawks minicamp

Training camp fights are commonplace, don't matter in the least and certainly aren't newsworthy.

Hate hearing about this because you just know it'll be mentioned by certain NFL personalities to "prove" he's a thug. It's not legal trouble and obviously tempers flair in practice sometimes, but I'm bummed.

Konka

Banned
So bradshaw didn't attend chuck nolls funeral despite him being basically in town while it wad going on. Didn't even call the family.

jakncoke

Banned
So bradshaw didn't attend chuck nolls funeral despite him being basically in town while it wad going on. Didn't even call the family.

Apparently they didnt like each other or something, still pretty shitty to not show some respect considering how long they worked together.

eznark

Banned
Just went into Best Buy, took a water ($2) a Steam wallet card ($50) and some plantronics bluetooth headphones ($100) to the register.

$52 please

I wasn't paying attention so I paid and walked out. I realized in my car (still in the parking lot) that the dumb ass kid just gave me $100 headphones for free.

What would you have done?

Greg

Just went into Best Buy, took a water ($2) a Steam wallet card ($50) and some plantronics bluetooth headphones ($100) to the register.

$52 please

I wasn't paying attention so I paid and walked out. I realized in my car (still in the parking lot) that the dumb ass kid just gave me $100 headphones for free.

taken the headphones back because I'd feel guilty

$52 please

Enjoyed my new free headphones

jakncoke

Banned

$52 please

On 1 hand that employee probably going to take shit and might even lose their job when her drawer is 100 dollars light, on the hand 2 fuck corps and keep it with a smile that you got something of that value for free. Also shouldnt of some alarm rang as you were leaving the store or am I not understanding something correctly with how the barcodes and alarm system works

MRSA

Banned

$52 please

Depends, what is it a dumb white kid or a minority?

eznark

Banned
On 1 hand that employee probably going to take shit and might even lose her job when her drawer is 100 dollars light, on the hand 2 fuck corps and keep it with a smile that you got something of that value for free. Also shouldnt of some alarm rang as you were leaving the store or am I not understanding something correctly with how the barcodes and alarm system works

I think he took the security thing off then just forgot to scan it? His drawer would not be light as it was never rang up. Their inventory would be one off.

That kid could have gotten the axe for that.

Also you have money, pay him.

He's a dumbass, no doubt, but we all have moments of incompetence, I suppose.

Spinluck

$52 please

When I worked at Best Buy, some kid I worked with rang up a $1400 Macbook for like $900.

Turns out it was a tag mix up caused by either one of the employees or the customer himself. It had the tag of a lesser open box (used) model, instead of being tagless like a brand new one.

But when a brand new Macbook rings up at $900 something, clearly everything is fine.

Draxal

There is no reason not to do this Kave

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)- Best Fire Emblem regardless of what gaming side says. To quote what some of them have said, "it is not a true Fire Emblem game" lol, wut? This game is a must for any fans of strategy and 3DS owners. Admittedly it is only one of four 3DS games I own.

Gaming is full of weird denying crybabies. FIRE EMBLEM NEVER HAD WAIFUS, yet since the very first game had 17 year old girls riding on pegasi in miniskirts. Map design sucked, but I honestly enjoyed all the mullticlassing in this one compared to the previous games, and the presentation value in this game destroy the old ones.

Of the games you should play. I really liked phoenix wright and luigi's mansion (although I do prefer the original to the 3ds version).

MRSA

Banned
I never worked retail, is it worse or equal to waiting tables?

Healthcare is easier because if you're a asshole, I'll tell you to wait for someone else to help you.

Draxal

Apparently they didnt like each other or something, still pretty shitty to not show some respect considering how long they worked together.

He really didn't like him and as blasted him in the past (he was pretty much baised against Couhglin with the Giants because of his poor experience with Noll), He was probably persona non grata at the funeral so I'm not going to withhold judgement on this.

Tom Penny

$52 please

You're a thief and that kid could lose his job because of you.

Konka

Banned

Healthcare is easier because if you're a asshole, I'll tell you to wait for someone else to help you.

Retail is soul crushing. You can do your job really well and it doesn't mean shit. At least waiting tables you can make a pretty decent amount off tips.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Having done both, the hours are far more soul crushing in retail. Your bosses micromanage and you're making about $8 an hour. You also have to push a bunch of stuff that's probably awful and that the customer doesn't need.

Also I prefer the work environment in a restaurant way more. You're either really busy in the weeds or you're just hanging out with coworkers. Small benefit is that you're not in that harsh retail lighting for 9 straight hours.

You're a thief and that kid could lose his job because of you.

:jnc

The store won't even realize until they do inventory....even then there's no way to trace it back to that cashier.

Having done both, the hours are far more soul crushing in retail. Your bosses micromanage and you're making about $8 an hour. You also have to push a bunch of stuff that's probably awful and that the customer doesn't need.

Also I prefer the work environment in a restaurant way more. You're either really busy in the weeds or you're just hanging out with coworkers. Small benefit is that you're not in that harsh retail lighting for 9 straight hours.

:jnc

The store won't even realize until they do inventory....even then there's no way to trace it back to that cashier.

Pretty much, they'll take it as a stolen good and move on,

Top Bottom