• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

eznark

Banned
Hockey needs to shorten its fucking season. I have small quibbles with some rules but generally it's ok. The structure of the NHL is fuck-awful though.

cdyhybrid

This is another thing I've been thinking about.

People always act like the World Cup is a huge intercultural festival of peace and understanding.

When all it does is make me hate countries that I'd otherwise have no opinion on, like Uruguay (or Spain or Italy or France or Portugal)

I think the bolded has always been a front for allowing people to just blatantly project hate at entire swaths of people.

It's not cool to say you hate an entire country, but during the World Cup it is!

Milchjon

I think the bolded has always been a front for allowing people to just blatantly project hate at entire swaths of people.

It's not cool to say you hate an entire country, but during the World Cup it is!

For Germans, it's actually an excuse to love their own country for once :-D

Talon

Basketball and Hockey shouldn't be longer than 62 games a season. The playoffs are fantastic in both sports - we don't need to delay gratification for no reason other than a shit ton of fuckball or false hope for the Winnipeg Jets respectively.

Baseball needs to abolish the Wild Card, play a balanced schedule, and only send two team from each league into the playoffs.
Old man Talon strikes again

Football needs to keep things exactly the same other than the pussyfooting around hitting quarterbacks.

People always act like the World Cup is a huge intercultural festival of peace and understanding.

When all it does is make me hate countries that I'd otherwise have no opinion on, like Uruguay (or Spain or Italy or France or Portugal)
lol

eznark

Banned
Baseball needs to abolish the Wild Card, play a balanced schedule, and only send two team from each league into the playoffs.
Old man Talon strikes again

Almost. No playoffs. Best AL team v. Best NL team in a best of 7 on a neutral field with no rest days. Fuck being able to win with 2 starters.

JABEE

True but in terms of watching the game, I'll take it over any other sport cept Football.

The playoffs were great this playoffs. The finals were underwhelming (I wanted 7 games) but I never got into baseball and basketball is just so much more fun to watch.
Hockey is the best

I'm fine with Baseball playoffs the way it is. Of all the series sports, Baseball playoffs is the least exhausting.

Hockey needs to get rid of a round, but i'd take it as is if it started in January.

Basketball, eh. Don't watch it enough to really have an opinion.

rando14

Almost. No playoffs. Best AL team v. Best NL team in a best of 7 on a neutral field with no rest days. Fuck being able to win with 2 starters.

That'd be interesting, though if anything baseball is moving in the entirely opposite direction. Fucking home run derby now has byes of all things rofl

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hockey and baseball are too long. Soccer has too much flopping and too many goddamn tie games. Only superior football is exciting, violent and high scoring enough to not suck ass.

Fuck all the sports besides football, ain't nobody care about the rest of that shit.

I don't think my people are allowed to talk shit about basketball.

cdyhybrid

I must say it is pretty genius to only have the World Cup every 4 years. That's usually long enough for me to forget how much soccer sucks.

Then I tune in for the first week or so until can't take it anymore.

But it unites us in our hatred! Together we hate the broke pieces of shit in Spain and Portugal!

Except for this girl

rTE70mU.jpg

I would give her financial aid, if you know what I mean
(I wanna put my penis in and around her)

rando14

But it unites us in our hatred! Together we hate the broke pieces of shit in Spain and Portugal!

Except for this girl

rTE70mU.jpg

I would give her financial aid, if you know what I mean
(I wanna put my penis in and around her)

Even though she forgot her chapstick I would still let her checkout my food at the grocery store!!

Draxal

I must say it is pretty genius to only have the World Cup every 4 years. That's usually long enough for me to forget how much soccer sucks.

Then I tune in for the first week or so until can't take it anymore.

Ayup, which is why people going ape shit about these ratings drive me nuts. People give a shit about figure skating and track in the olympics as well.

Watching the World Cup has reminded me of how unrealistic FIFA is. There is definitely no bite button and I don't even think there is one for flopping. Maybe they will get it right for 15.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Soccer is much more interesting as a sport than football.

You may be more entertained by it, but it's definitely not more interesting. Football is constantly evolving. Whether it be schemes, rules or techniques. Soccer was done changing about 30 minutes after it was invented. As has been stated, soccer's a simple game and much easier to understand. If you slept for 10 years, you'd have to catch up on the changes in football, while soccer would still be the same.

Talon

Watching the World Cup has reminded me of how unrealistic FIFA is. There is definitely no bite button and I don't even think there is one for flopping. Maybe they will get it right for 15.
There is flopping in the 2K series though. You press the "take charge" button twice, and the bro will just fall down.

Couldn't figure out if it was a feature or a bug.

Draxal

You may be more entertained by it, but it's definitely not more interesting. Football is constantly evolving. Whether it be schemes, rules or techniques. Soccer was done changing about 30 minutes after it was invented. As has been stated, soccer's a simple game and much easier to understand. If you slept for 10 years, you'd have to catch up on the changes in football, while soccer would still be the same.

Man, I would just love to pick the mind of Walsh or Coryell.

Pro Evolution Soccer had a dive button. I tried the demo, kept flopping the entire game to try and get a good one, but never succeeded. I always got a yellow card.

I think Dutch finally found the perfect avatar for his personality.

I think I'll be bald by age 30 so it's fitting. It's like my sexy face. She's really really pretty though.

bionic77

I saw the highlights of that Italy match and it was hilarious. 90% of the highlights were dirty plays and some dude biting another grown man.

Fuck Italy and fuck Uruguay. Tournament will be better when both are elimination.

And you filthy Euros are all women at soccer matches hot or do the cameras just focus on the insanely hot women and blur out the masses of fat ugly ones?

Milchjon

And you filthy Euros are all women at soccer matches hot or do the cameras just focus on the insanely hot women and blur out the masses of fat ugly ones?

I know you're probably too old for this, but did you ever check out aftermovies of EDM festivals?

Basically 95% of their marketing is based on singling out the hottest
barely legal
chicks in the crowd.

I saw the highlights of that Italy match and it was hilarious. 90% of the highlights were dirty plays and some dude biting another grown man.

Fuck Italy and fuck Uruguay. Tournament will be better when both are elimination.

Italy-Uruguay was fucking terrible. Typical Italian fight might, they usually win these.

The single out the hot ones.

Also, fuck the Chile coach complaining about our playing style (We used to be the ones complaining about these things, an we are now the bus parkers)

ShaneB

Lockout season was the best.

Yes it definitely was. The season is far too long for me as well, and god damn I love Hockey.

Some great sports talk on this page from all you folks. Love it.

Echoing what has been said as well about Soccer, all the flopping and BS that goes on in these big matches just turns me away from ever being a bigger fan of it.

It would depend entirely on what your definition of "action" is.

If it's shots on goal? Each soccer game has about 16 seconds of action.

And this yeah, like I said, it's not exactly easy to quantify because Soccer is a lot more free flowing, but indeed there is a hell of a lot of nothing that goes on.

bionic77

Italy-Uruguay was fucking terrible. Typical Italian fight might, they usually win these.

The single out the hot ones.

Also, fuck the Chile coach complaining about our playing style (We used to be the ones complaining about these things, an we are now the bus parkers)
Italy plays ugly so most people won't care about Uruguay getting away with a bite.

Spinluck

I think they just focus on the hot women, but I won't complain.

I've been to a soccer game at Sunlife with a friend to watch his team Colombia play Guatemala, there were definitely hot chicks there. But I don't think the ratio was as good as FIFA would have you believe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ah yes I remember the NHL lockout season.

Good times, good times.

Oddly can't recall anything from the first round of the playoffs that season...

jakncoke

Banned
Unless there is more than 1 national guard training center in Indiana, looks like they are about an hour south of Indianapolis. Probably safe then.

Italy plays ugly so most people won't care about Uruguay getting away with a bite.

They are always difficult to beat, because they are so good at 'killing' games like these. Taking the pace out of the game and heavy focus on defending. Terrible to look at, but it wins games at tournaments.

Edit: Also, I fully support a Suarez ban. Dude needs serious help, this is not normal behavior, especially not when items the 3rd fucking time. Buuuuuuut, how can you ban Suarez for this but have Neymar walk away unpunished for a clearly intentional elbow to the face in the first game. Whatever the FIFA does is wrong.

JABEE

Coldsmh

I'm sorry, Kave It wasn't good for us either. We sucked, but won too many games in the last two weeks of the season that we lost out on Seth Jones and MacKinnon. :(

kingslunk

Soccer is much more interesting as a sport than football. Sorry! I think theres a good reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

But I think football is more enjoyable to watch simply because I'm an American. As far as MLS has grown its still a pretty niche thing (but with Orlando getting a MLS team next year I'll be more invested). Not really fun to talk about with other people and bandwagoning English club teams when you're not from England is just weird.

Hockey is more interesting than Soccer.

manfestival

I got pink eye for the first time in my life and suddenly people are asking me if I farted on my pillow. SERIOUSLY WHAT? Thats so ridiculous

Top Bottom