• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

cdyhybrid

Also stop the fucking clock. Injury time is retarded.

Right, that too. It's 2014, I think we can afford the technology to have the ref stop the clock on the field when play stops on out of bounds, etc.

Bubububu.. THE GAME! Something something flow integrity human element excitement emotion

Baseball said the same shit and they still came around to replay. It can be done. Unfortunately America doesn't give a shit about soccer, so we won't force them to join the rest of the sports in the 21st century.

Dragon

Banned
ok, the England-Sri Lanka game (Cricket? :jnc) just had the most incredible ending so that's improved my mood somewhat. Don't think I will fly into a rage and get myself banned after that.

Time to dick around with the RC helicopter I bought for my brother and pretend that the World Cup doesn't exist.

Man I really hate the elitist attitudes on both sides with this shit.

Konka

Banned
Right, that too. It's 2014, I think we can afford the technology to have the ref stop the clock on the field when play stops on out of bounds, etc.

Baseball said the same shit and they still came around to replay. It can be done. Unfortunately America doesn't give a shit about soccer, so we won't force them to join the rest of the sports in the 21st century.

The major problem is that the poorer countries would have a harder time implementing it.

eznark

Banned
Poor countries can afford a field to play soccer on but not a stop watch?

Tell you what, I will personally send a stopwatch to any county that requests it. There are what, 196 countries? I can afford the $90.

Man I really hate the elitist attitudes on both sides with this shit.

Wait what? There are people against RC vehicles? Fucking monsters. They probably like soccer.

slabrock

Banned
The NBA already is boring as fuck. They followed. No one cared.

ball-movement.gif

Spurs_ball_mvmnt.gif

Automatic red card for flopping and video instant replay/challenges would fix a lot of stuff right away.

The problem is it's like holding in the NFL, you know it happens on every down but players are used to a certain amount of leeway because if refs start throwing a flag on every single play they'll be kicked out of the league because fans and commentators will flip out.

Same thing when it comes to diving in football.

Also stop the fucking clock. Injury time is retarded.

The ball is out of play for so long that if it genuinely stopped every time the ball was out of play then you can't have 90 mins of playing time. Games would last three hours and players would be out on their feet halfway through the second half. Right now it's easy for broadcasters as well because you know exactly when a game will end and at worst you'll be three or four minutes out, in which case you can just cut a couple of minutes from the post-match analysis.

eznark

Banned
The ball is out of play for so long that if it genuinely stopped every time the ball was out of play then you can't have 90 mins of playing time. Games would last three hours and players would be out on their feet halfway through the second half. Right now it's easy for broadcasters as well because you know exactly when a game will end and at worst you'll be three or four minutes out, in which case you can just cut a couple of minutes from the post-match analysis.

From what I have watched in any 90 minute game players generally spent about 4 minutes on their feet and 86 minutes writhing in agony from ghost rape. Less rape faking would probably improve their stamina.

The problem is it's like holding in the NFL, you know it happens on every down but players are used to a certain amount of leeway because if refs start throwing a flag on every single play they'll be kicked out of the league because fans and commentators will flip out.

Bullshit, After the 2nd red card for flopping every player across FIFA would be put on notice to cut that shit out.

Dragon

Banned
From what I have watched in any 90 minute game players generally spent about 4 minutes on their feet and 86 minutes writhing in agony from ghost rape. Less rape faking would probably improve their stamina.

They're playing in a rain forest dude.

I mean it's kinda funny, because football, something I love, can be shit on in such a similar way.

How much of a 60 minute football game is actually football players playing and how much is them standing around looking at each other's jock straps?

eznark

Banned
They're playing in a rain forest dude.

I mean it's kinda funny, because football, something I love, can be shit on in such a similar way.

How much of a 60 minute football game is actually football players playing and how much is them standing around looking at each other's jock straps?

Who is claiming that a football game is 60 minutes of playing football?

JABEE

There seems to be a level or age a soccer player reaches when they start diving and writhing on the ground like a true footballer. It was never like that in American youth soccer leagues. It isn't even like that in high school.

cdyhybrid

The major problem is that the poorer countries would have a harder time implementing it.

They can choose to implement it or not in their smaller local leagues because they're the only ones that watch it. But for the big leagues and international competitions there would be no reason not to. Euro, World Cup, EPL, CL, etc. could all afford it.

So kick half the league out after the first week and they'll get the hint quickly. The question was how to fix soccer, not how to fix it without offending anyone. Flopping fuckery is so deeply entwined with the fabric of the game that you have to take drastic measures if you want it to go away.

I don't think it would be that bad. It would pretty much only stop for out-of-bounds and when setting up corners/free kicks. But it could be tinkered with and adjusted pretty easily.

Dragon

Banned
Who is claiming that a football game is 60 minutes of playing football?

You implied there's something wrong with soccer because most of the time the players aren't actually playing. I countered with something similar about football, a game anyone in this thread presumably loves. Not sure what you're missing, although I'd recommend not jumping on that trampoline for a while, you may hit your head again.

:loooooooool

?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

If the NFL wanted to get rid of holding, it could. Just call the shit out of it during the preseason. That would cause a lot more low scoring games and dead qbs, so it's not going to happen.

If soccer wanted to get rid of diving, it could. Just review every game and then suspend the floppers for the next game without pay. That would cause a lot more low scoring games and dead ratings, so it's not going to happen.

ShaneB

Has there been a Soccer study similar to the "11 minutes of action in a Football game"?

I mean I guess it's a little harder to quantify, but would be interesting just to see the study that soccer is 80 minutes of passing.

eznark

Banned
You implied there's something wrong with soccer because most of the time the players aren't actually playing. I countered with something similar about football, a game anyone in this thread presumably loves. Not sure what you're missing, although I'd recommend not jumping on that trampoline for a while, you may hit your head again.

No I didn't. I said that they shouldn't have a problem playing a few extra minutes because they lay on the ground all the time.

Reading comprehension is hard.

cdyhybrid

?

I think his point was not that they spend lots of time not playing, but that they spend lots of time pretending someone just dumped a bucket of bullet ants on them. They're not standing around waiting for play to resume, they're pretending to be hurt to try and get calls.

Milchjon

If soccer wanted to get rid of diving, it could. Just review every game and then suspend the floppers for the next game without pay. That would cause a lot more low scoring games and dead ratings, so it's not going to happen.

So what you're saying is that it IS inherently terrible.

Dragon

Banned
No I didn't. I said that they shouldn't have a problem playing a few extra minutes because they lay on the ground all the time.

Reading comprehension is hard.

Do you know what the word imply means? smh

I think his point was not that they spend lots of time not playing, but that they spend lots of time pretending someone just dumped a bucket of bullet ants on them. They're not standing around waiting for play to resume, they're pretending to be hurt to try and get calls.

I'm not disagreeing that a ton of them do that. I'm disagreeing with him that somehow it makes the game shitty, because that was the thread of that conversation.

One of my fondest memories as a Pats fan is Willie McGinest faking an injury against Peyton before stuffing the Colts at the goal line. It's still shitty, but it doesn't make the game shitty. Just like the million fucking commercials now when a team scores don't make the game shitty.

eznark

Banned
I wasn't implying anything. I stated simply why they shouldn't have a problem playing more minutes.

In my previous post I did imply you are dumb as shit though.

is such a thing even possible?

cdyhybrid

If it was that easy, the NFL would have stopped holding and receivers pushing off DBs, the NBA would have stopped travelling and the MLB would have made baseball interesting

Right. I don't think anyone expects them to actually do such a thing, but that's how they could fix soccer.

Thus, soccer will always suck.

Has there been a Soccer study similar to the "11 minutes of action in a Football game"?

I mean I guess it's a little harder to quantify, but would be interesting just to see the study that soccer is 80 minutes of passing.

It would depend entirely on what your definition of "action" is.

If it's shots on goal? Each soccer game has about 16 seconds of action.

If it was that easy, the NFL would have stopped holding and receivers pushing off DBs, the NBA would have stopped travelling and the MLB would have made baseball interesting

Why isn't it? Unlike everything else you mentioned, flopping has fuck all to do with the core game of soccer. Refs don't call traveling because the league wants the on court product more exciting, ditto push offs for receivers. Why does FIFA want flopping in the game?

jakncoke

Banned

bu bu bu its so exciting to see it kicked around.

I wasn't implying anything. I stated simply why they shouldn't have a problem playing more minutes.

In my previous post I did imply you are dumb as shit though.

is such a thing even possible?

I would like to see negative points in a sport, like in football instead of 2 points for the team that caused the safety, it's -2 points for the other team.

Draxal

I think holding and pushing off way is more natural than diving, and fans don't mind when it happens.

I also think diving should be reviewed after the game and not during the game, and should be punished stricter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Soccer is much more interesting as a sport than football. Sorry! I think theres a good reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

But I think football is more enjoyable to watch simply because I'm an American. As far as MLS has grown its still a pretty niche thing (but with Orlando getting a MLS team next year I'll be more invested). Not really fun to talk about with other people and bandwagoning English club teams when you're not from England is just weird.

effzee

The NBA already is boring as fuck. They followed. No one cared.

All basketball needs is better rules for penalizing flopping but other than that its a beautiful game.

All we have now is boring as fuck baseball until pre season.

Thankfully players opting out and casual interest in the WC is keeping me tuning into sports.

Can't wait for training camp articles where every player is looking like an all pro! Nate Allen believe!

Draxal

Soccer is much more interesting as a sport than football. Sorry! I think theres a good reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

But I think football is more enjoyable to watch simply because I'm an American. As far as MLS has grown its still a pretty niche thing. Not really fun to talk about with other people and bandwagoning English club teams when you're not from England is just weird.

You only think so because you are a Jets fan.

All basketball needs is better rules for penalizing flopping but other than that its a beautiful game.

All we have now is boring as fuck baseball until pre season.

Thankfully players opting out and casual interest in the WC is keeping me tuning into sports.

Can't wait for training camp articles where every player is looking like an all pro! Nate Allen believe!

Basketball suffers from a talent void. Too many teams not enough stars. Owners just got greedy with their expansion fees like hockey.

Milchjon

The main reason is that the entry barrier is as low as it can possibly be. You can play soccer with a bunch of socks and 4 rocks. It also has rules that could be explained to a person with half a brain and no ears.

But I think football is more enjoyable to watch simply because I'm an American. As far as MLS has grown its still a pretty niche thing (but with Orlando getting a MLS team next year I'll be more invested). Not really fun to talk about with other people and bandwagoning English club teams when you're not from England is just weird.

I think Soccer's best attribute is its simplicity. Very easy for the layman to pick up and understand.

That said, I can't stand the culture behind it, particularly the flopping. It's gone beyond funny now, especially since flopping can sway the tide of a game more than goals can.

The corruption. Eh. If Qatar wants to bribe people to get the World Cup I say let them. Rock on.

effzee

Basketball suffers from a talent void. Too many teams not enough stars. Owners just got greedy with their expansion fees like hockey.

True but in terms of watching the game, I'll take it over any other sport cept Football.

The playoffs were great this playoffs. The finals were underwhelming (I wanted 7 games) but I never got into baseball and basketball is just so much more fun to watch.

mr2xxx

Banned

You make no sense, ghost semen is a PED to increase stamina.

Draxal

True but in terms of watching the game, I'll take it over any other sport cept Football.

The playoffs were great this playoffs. The finals were underwhelming (I wanted 7 games) but I never got into baseball and basketball is just so much more fun to watch.

I thought the hockey playoffs were insane this year. My problem with soccer is that I find all the other games that have a similiar rule set to be far more interesting (lacrosse and ice hockey); the only real interest I have in this year's World Cup is just due to the sheer tribal nature of it.

lol that freeman picture still doesn't get old and I love seeing it in OT

I thought the hockey playoffs were insane this year. My problem with soccer is that I find all the other games that have a similiar rule set to be far more interesting (lacrosse and ice hockey); the only real interest I have in this year's World Cup is just due to the sheer tribal nature of it.

I don't really watch hockey but that final game 7 was amazing

Basketball has too many subjective rules. So much so that the refs think people are paying to see their bitch asses.

Hockey has almost got it right. They just need to get rid of the shootout and ban fighting.

Milchjon

the sheer tribal nature of it.

This is another thing I've been thinking about.

People always act like the World Cup is a huge intercultural festival of peace and understanding.

When all it does is make me hate countries that I'd otherwise have no opinion on, like Uruguay (or Spain or Italy or France or Portugal)

Tom Penny

It appears America will never understand the greatness of real football like other countries and continue to watch inferior sporting events.

Top Bottom