• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Tom Penny

Cheapest whiskey I drink is Buffalo Trace or Bulliet.

And yeah I'm going to nursing school and become a traveling nurse afterwards.

Buffalo isn't bad. Best cheap whiskey is Evan Williams for the price..at least for mixing. Last pretty good stuff I bought was Angel's Envy.

Greg

Does that one thread still exist that we dedicated to talking about football related stuff? (Not that I don't love being involved in Chan and snes's personal conversations, it's a treat).
I heard this thread is the right place for that

is there any new football news, or did you want to talk more about how hard NFL players have to work to barely get by?

bionic77

Does that one thread still exist that we dedicated to talking about football related stuff? (Not that I don't love being involved in Chan and snes's personal conversations, it's a treat).
According to Steelers blogs our defense will be fast and dominant even though it is filled with rookies.

We also have the best offensive line in the league and we are due for them to stay healthy for more than a month.

Add in our stable of elite running backs combined with good receivers and an elite qb and I think we have almost wrapped up the offseason title.

Tomlin has even learned how to use timeouts now and a good understanding of field position.

The division is a given and a Super Bowl appearance is probably a lock.

cajunator

Banned
I like frappucinos but they are sweet at fuck,

Nice to have one in the summer.

Coffee is best when it is cold as balls outside.

Mochasippis are definitely super sugary.
Im drinking some of this right now. Its not bad.
JuJEYRA.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I finally bought a Wii U. Should get here next week hopefully, maybe earlier if Nintendo ships it out quicker.

The hell am I supposed to buy for this? Pretty much just bought it to play MK8 and some old eShop games and Wii games as well as stuff like Smash and Zelda down the road. Was W101 any good?

According to Steelers blogs our defense will be fast and dominant even though it is filled with rookies.

We also have the best offensive line in the league and we are due for them to stay healthy for more than a month.

Add in our stable of elite running backs combined with good receivers and an elite qb and I think we have almost wrapped up the offseason title.

Tomlin has even learned how to use timeouts now and a good understanding of field position.

The division is a given and a Super Bowl appearance is probably a lock.

See you at the AFCCC game!!

MRSA

Banned
That's awesome. You're a drunk with a heart of gold. Lifetime should be calling you shortly for the rights.

I'll be a zero fucks given nurse, especially when I have to deal with psych patients. I'm gonna insist that the doctor write me PRN orders for haldol and ativan. Paramedicine is a dead end career especially in California. Fire/medics make over 100k a year, sad part is that most those guys don't want to be paramedics, they did it so they can become a fire fighter. Kind of a scary thought when you consider that the medic that could potentially save your life didn't want to be a medic in the first place.

Buffalo isn't bad. Best cheap whiskey is Evan Williams for the price..at least for mixing. Last pretty good stuff I bought was Angel's Envy.

Buffalo Trace and Bulliet are the bog standard of bourbons. Evan Williams, yeah well.....I make a living.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

is there any new football news, or did you want to talk more about how hard NFL players have to work to barely get by?

Kyle Williams was voted most underrated player of last year. So, that's pretty awesome.

I'll be a zero fucks given nurse, especially when I have to deal with psych patients. I'm gonna insist that the doctor write me PRN orders for haldol and ativan. Paramedicine is a dead end career especially in California. Fire/medics make over 100k a year, sad part is that most those guys don't want to be paramedics, they did it so they can become a fire fighter. Kind of a scary thought when you consider that the medic that could potentially save your life didn't want to be a medic in the first place.

It's a career that seems to be steady, at the very least. When I'm done traipsing across the globe, I want to settle into a steady job where I'm helping humanity. EMT seems pretty legit in that regard.

eznark

Banned

Just trying to get ready for the season Greg! If it didn't still exist I thought we should bring it back.

and nuke this thread from orbit

Talon

Falcons are giving Sheembo every chance to win the starting job inside. I don't know how I feel about this because I go out of my way not to watch the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

MRSA

Banned
Do the Chargers really think they got an upgrade with Brandon Flowers?

He's like a shittier version of Asante Samuels. Can't play man, can't tackle, and is hurt 6 games a season.

eznark

Banned
Do the Chargers really think they got an upgrade with Brandon Flowers?

He's like a shittier version of Asante Samuels. Can't play man, can't tackle, and is hurt 6 games a season.

They are giving him at most $5m and that's only if he plays often and plays well. Who cares? No risk signing.

MRSA

Banned
It's a career that seems to be steady, at the very least. When I'm done traipsing across the globe, I want to settle into a steady job where I'm helping humanity. EMT seems pretty legit in that regard.

EMS is a field you get into if you want to be underpaid and overworked. For the most part you're a glorified taxi. You get maybe 1 legit call a week. Most the time you get calls because some "good" samaritan called 911 because they found our resident homeless drunk passed out on the sidewalk.

You can still do transport as a nurse and life flights are staffed mainly by nurses now and not medics.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hello friends

Care to comment on this video of you cheering on the Jags?

https://vine.co/v/MtZ2xhIjDPe

Jokes aside, have you ever played any of the Harvest Moon games?

The one for GBA was amazing. I hate pretty much all of the "3D" ones because they're so much slower in pace.

Just trying to get ready for the season Greg! If it didn't still exist I thought we should bring it back.

and nuke this thread from orbit

Why do you hate fun? Although it should have been nuked whenever noodle starts posting his noodle girls.

So I finally bought a Wii U. Should get here next week hopefully, maybe earlier if Nintendo ships it out quicker.

The hell am I supposed to buy for this? Pretty much just bought it to play MK8 and some old eShop games and Wii games as well as stuff like Smash and Zelda down the road. Was W101 any good?

Some of you may disagree but the Wii U has like...two or three "must own" games right now and even that depends on how much you like remakes and Mario games. Honestly I'd say the same about the PS4 but I like my graphics. Which basically means that, for me, the only must own platform is the PC outside of the Vita and 3DS.

cajunator

Banned

W101 was excellent actually.
even Gaf seemed to like it. Not that their taste in anything can really be trusted but at least it was popular.

cajunator

Banned
EMS is a field you get into if you want to be underpaid and overworked. For the most part you're a glorified taxi. You get maybe 1 legit call a week. Most the time you get calls because some "good" samaritan called 911 because they found our resident homeless drunk passed out on the sidewalk.

You can still do transport as a nurse and life flights are staffed mainly by nurses now and not medics.

same with dispatching lol. You pretty much have to love doing it or it will drive you crazy. Some people had to quit cause they were getting panic attacks and one girl had a heart attack. Not that I really think the pressure is THAT high but Ive been doing this 12 years. When it comes down to it its just gasoline transport.

WanderingWind

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

Is the advanced football thread. Hasn't been posted in for a while.

This thread is all football, when football is actually happening. Well, there is football mixed in with the Stafford jokes.

Yeah, but nursing requires school and shit..

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Some of you may disagree but the Wii U has like...two or three "must own" games right now and even that depends on how much you like remakes and Mario games. Honestly I'd say the same about the PS4 but I like my graphics. Which basically means that, for me, the only must own platform is the PC outside of the Vita and 3DS.

Yeah there isn't a whole lot but with the $200 deal and MK8 coming with a free copy of either Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 (leaning towards the latter but idk) thought I might as well get it now.

Vita is the system I use the most by far right now

MRSA

Banned
same with dispatching lol. You pretty much have to love doing it or it will drive you crazy. Some people had to quit cause they were getting panic attacks and one girl had a heart attack. Not that I really think the pressure is THAT high but Ive been doing this 12 years. When it comes down to it its just gasoline transport.

I can probably dispatch better than 101% of our dispatchers and I have no training doing it. They have no experience as transporters so they overwork the transporters (Not saying you do this cajun). There are a lot of dumb dispatchers out there that don't care about the well being of their coworkers (they think of everyone else as subordinates rather than colleagues), my friend's coworkers at a different company was dispatched to a call that was a homicide. He asked if the scene is secured by PD and was informed yes, showed up with nobody there and a lunatic pacing up and down with a bloody butcher knife. Needless to say, the crew got the fuck out and headed back to base to punch the dispatcher in the back of the head (literally).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This thread is all football, when football is actually happening. Well, there is football mixed in with the Stafford jokes.

You mean when football is literally happening right that moment right? I'm pretty sure we're back to pineapple pizza, noodle girls, and weeaboo garbage whenever there isn't a game on.

You mean when football is literally happening right that moment right? I'm pretty sure we're back to pineapple pizza, noodle girls, and weeaboo garbage whenever there isn't a game on.
I ramble about the Dolphins a lot during the season but I'm pretty sure most people would rather hear about pineapple pizza.

cajunator

Banned
I can probably dispatch better than 101% of our dispatchers and I have no training doing it. They have no experience as transporters so they overwork the transporters (Not saying you do this cajun). There are a lot of dumb dispatchers out there that don't care about the well being of their coworkers (they think of everyone else as subordinates rather than colleagues), my friend's coworkers at a different company was dispatched to a call that was a homicide. He asked if the scene is secured by PD and was informed yes, showed up with nobody there and a lunatic pacing up and down with a bloody butcher knife. Needless to say, the crew got the fuck out and headed back to base to punch the dispatcher in the back of the head (literally).

Our company makes safety a high priority. Some places we dont even dispatch to at night because its a dangerous area. Also try not to overdispatch drivers because if they fall asleep and crash, thats something Id have to live with. If a driver even says the word "tired" we pretty much have to bring them back in. Obviously they cant abuse that privelege but it can save a life.

You mentioned social workers before, what's your take on them and waft kind of SWs do you work with? I'm thinking of becoming a SW

WanderingWind

True. But offseason is special. We get real dumb with it when there aren't plays to make fun of.

We'll always have the butt fumble though.

The one for GBA was amazing. I hate pretty much all of the "3D" ones because they're so much slower in pace.

Friends of Mineral Town? Yeah, that's in my top 3. My favorite will always be HM64 and the third is the latest one out, A New Beginning on the 3DS. It's pretty good and added the dynamic of playing architect a little so you can actually build up the town and move villagers in on top of the farm stuff. It works better than that probably sounds but definitely worth checking out if you like the older games.

MRSA

Banned
You mentioned social workers before, what's your take on them and waft kind of SWs do you work with? I'm thinking of becoming a SW

Are you a hot female? Because thats our social workers, bionic probably shares the same feelings as I do about hot females, they don't do shit. Most of the time we call them for a problem (homeless needs placement or something) they refer us to a list of shelters. Social work is depressing; the only one where you can really make a difference is children social work, as long as you're okay with breaking up families.

It does. Though it hasn't seen much of any activity..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

I was posting gifs, etc on games for awhile in there and in this thread and there was more activity here so I just stuck the stuff in here. I tried. :/

EDIT: Nevermind. Big already posted it.

Are you a hot female? Because thats our social workers, bionic probably shares the same feelings as I do about hot females, they don't do shit. Most of the time we call them for a problem (homeless needs placement or something) they refer us to a list of shelters. Social work is depressing; the only one where you can really make a difference is children social work, as long as you're okay with breaking up families.

Lol social work does have hot females..but I have a penis. I'm finding that social work is depressing too. I did my internships with cps and I said fuck that shit. Like you said I wasn't ok with breaking up families.

But from your perspective how come these hot SWs don't do shit and yet Socisl work is depressing?

This is the dead zone time frame for NFL news but I'm excited for the NBA draft tomorrow since the Suns are in position to make some big moves. McDonough will inevitably disappoint me though and then I'll have nothing until Training Camp.

As for 'some' NFL news, John Brown (second third round pick we acquired from the Saints) is being hyped the fuck up by everyone that watched him at OTA's, especially the coaches. It's nice to hear and all, but I learned long ago to quit buying in so much on what I hear from OTAs and Training Camp. If the kid did turn out as legit as they clamor, we'd be impossible to defend with Fitz, Floyd, Brown, Ginn Jr, and John Carlson/Niklas at TE. John Carlson is looking awesome so far and as he's a vet, I'll buy a bit more into that.

MRSA

Banned
Lol social work does have hot females..but I have a penis. I'm finding that social work is depressing too. I did my internships with cps and I said fuck that shit. Like you said I wasn't ok with breaking up families.

But from your perspective how come these hot SWs don't do shit and yet Socisl work is depressing?

Its depressing because its literally the same case over and over with a new (or not) name attached to the file. It's a mundane field, so you just don't give a fuck anymore after 2 days.

MechDX

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-reached-funds-uncapped?campaign=Twitter_atl

The National Football League and counsel for the retired player plaintiffs announced today a revised settlement agreement in the NFL concussion litigation pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In the revised agreement the NFL's obligations under the monetary award fund will not be capped at any specified amount. This means that once the compensation program is established funds will be available to any retired player who develops a qualifying neurocognitive condition.

The revised settlement agreement is the result of several months of intensive work under the supervision of presiding Judge Anita B. Brody and the Court's special master, Perry Golkin. The parties are grateful to Judge Brody and Special Master Golkin for their guidance in helping to reach the agreement submitted for preliminary approval today. Consistent with the settlement announced last year, the revised agreement provides a wide range of benefits to retired NFL players and their families, including a separate fund to offer all eligible retirees a comprehensive medical exam and follow-up benefits, and an injury compensation fund for retirees who have suffered cognitive impairment, including dementia, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's or ALS. Where the retiree is deceased or unable to pursue his claim, a family member may do so on his behalf. While actuarial estimates from both parties supported the $765 million settlement that was announced in August, this new agreement will ensure funds are available to any eligible retired player who develops a compensable injury.

NFL revised concussion settlement. No more $765 million cap

jakncoke

Banned

One advice I learned from my ex(this might only be applicable to NE Ohio), Apply as early as possible if you go ahead and go for social work degree. She procrastinated in applications and now works at something unrelated. It might be because she only has a bachelors and a lot of places around were looking for masters but yeah.

rando14

One advice I learned from my ex(this might only be applicable to NE Ohio), Apply as early as possible if you go ahead and go for social work degree. She procrastinated in applications and now works at something unrelated. It might be because she only has a bachelors and a lot of places around were looking for masters but yeah.

You need a masters to do social work? That sounds like it isn't worth it at all, considering how poorly SW pays to begin with

Crisco

Banned
In some weird way, could this additional liability give the league more clout to continue operating as non-profit and give owners more reason to hit the public up for tax dollars for stadiums? Or am I over thinking this?

Keeping it capped was just an untenable position, especially when the leagues entire defense has been "WE DIDN'T KNOW". How can you say you didn't know and then also know exactly how much money it's going to cost to fix it.

MRSA

Banned
You need a masters to do social work? That sounds like it isn't worth it at all, considering how poorly SW pays to begin with

Yeah a MSW is basically a minimum nowadays.

That being said, the biggest is that the baby boomers are refusing to retire. Fuckin olds.

Here are some Dolphin tidbits:

Good news for our secondary (Maybe)

Louis Delmas feels "great," which is good

Last year Delmas had three interceptions. Plays.

He had two sacks. Plays.

He's averaged nearly one fumble recovery per season. Plays.

He returned one of those fumbles and an interception for a touchdown as a rookie. Plays.

The Dolphins defense wants more playmakers and Delmas offers that possibility.

“Rest," Delmas said. "That’s something my first couple of years I didn’t take pride in is resting. After the season, I always started immediately with workouts. I think, as the years started going on, I started earning more miles on these legs, I needed to rest a little more. The coaching staff and the trainers are doing a great job of managing me. I’m comfortable right now."

Our Pass Rush should be great with Wake and a healthy Jorden
On Dion Jorden
...the Dolphins late during the 2013 training camp considered letting Jordan spend the entire season on injured reserve, according to defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle.

"We came very close during the preseason to have to make a decision whether or not we were going to try to redshirt Dion or know we were going to get limited snaps from him," Coyle said Monday after the Dolphins OTA practice.

Jordan played the fewest snaps of any defensive end on the active. He played less at the end of the year than even in the middle of the season. That was last year.
"He was coming off of an injury. But it would be in the best interest of our team to have him, even for limited snaps. We made that decision. Certainly, Dion wished he had a bigger rookie season and so do we.

"But we have great expectations for Dion Jordan coming into this year. You cannot have enough great pass rushers and we feel with Dion at full speed we have a prime time player that's going to explode this season. "

Loss of Pouncey is manageable, Moreno will be back soon

On the loss of Pouncey and how we can make up for it
Running back Knowshon Moreno has been scheduled to undergo athroscopic surgery on his left knee and is out four to five weeks.

He could be back practicing before the Dolphins’ preseason opener Aug. 8, though the team could proceed cautiously and keep him out of initial exhibition games.

If the Dolphins do not believe (Pouncey) he will be back before the bye, they might place him on the physically-unable-to-perform list, which would sideline him for the first six games.

Another option is veteran Nate Garner, who started two games at center last season when Pouncey was sidelined by an illness. Right guard Shelley Smith also has taken practice snaps at center, and undrafted Utah State rookie Tyler Larsen is a natural center who is trying to make the team.

There are about a dozen veteran free agent centers still available, including Samson Satele, David Baas, Mike Gibson, Andre Gurode, Dan Koppen, Brad Meester, Fernando Velasco and Kyle Cook.

Summary: Superbowl run is back on!

jakncoke

Banned

Yeah, I think social work is more of a field where you want to make a meaningful impact than a field you just enter because it pays really good.

Sorry chris, I can't get over the Pouncey loss. I'm starting to see visions of countless Tannehill sacks... AHHHH MAKE IT STOP

Unless rehab takes longer, isnt Pouncey only scheduled to miss the first 4 weeks or so of the regular season?

No it's same here in California. I just got my MSW but I'm not sure if I want to go into that field with all the depressing shit that has been mentioned

Yeah a MSW is basically a minimum nowadays.

That being said, the biggest is that the baby boomers are refusing to retire. Fuckin olds.

Yea it's a minimum requirement..,I'm just not sure the slight pay bump is worth all the stress and heartache. Fuck burnout

Top Bottom