• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

eznark

Banned
It's not that dumb. What is dumb is all the people going around all, "why is everyone so happy about a loss when they were just upset about a tie herp derp herpy derp?"

It's a dumb format because it results in people being happy about a loss, or caring more about the outcome of the other game and handwringing about goal differentials. If you are eventually going to do a single elimination tournament, why not just do that all the way through?

Wes

venison crêpe
Upset? I'm talking about football in a football thread! Don't hate just because England is old news and the Colonists are running roughshod over your dying land yet again.

Not hating! I'm really happy the US have progressed. More coverage in the US and a greater exposure to the game can only be a good thing for the sport.

Just seems whenever I've come in to this thread recently you've made a funny remark about the world cup. Quite seriously - I was curious whether you were actually watching out of genuine interest and making quips afterwards, or just making quips off the back of some news coming from the event.

Trying to gauge how much non-soccer watchers are actually being drawn to watch the tournament when perhaps they didn't expect to a few months ago. Is there a wave of more and more people getting involved in the States these past two weeks? All the UK-based reports I've read about the US side of things suggest there has been.

It's a dumb format because it results in people being happy about a loss, or caring more about the outcome of the other game and handwringing about goal differentials. If you are eventually going to do a single elimination tournament, why not just do that all the way through?
Who is happy that we lost? People are happy because we made it through, which is all that matters in the group stage. Personally I love soccer tournaments that have a group stage and knockout stage, but I think it's better when you play everyone in your group twice.

It would be stupid if one loss put you out of the WC, in my opinion.

eznark

Banned
Not hating! I'm really happy the US have progressed. More coverage in the US and a greater exposure to the game can only be a good thing for the sport.

Just seems whenever I've come in to this thread recently you've made a funny remark about the world cup. Quite seriously - I was curious whether you were actually watching out of genuine interest and making quips afterwards, or just making quips off the back of some news coming from the event.

Trying to gauge how much non-soccer watchers are actually being drawn to watch the tournament when perhaps they didn't expect to a few months ago. Is there a wave of more and more people getting involved in the States these past two weeks? All the UK-based reports I've read about the US side of things suggest there has been.

It's the equivalent of my sage punting advice to all fantasy football requests.

As for the interest level in the US, just like every four years THIS is the world cup that will take America by storm and make soccer sweep the nation.

bionic77

Packers fans have pride and class. We didn't celebrate until after we deep dicked Atlanta.
That's definitely not what happened.

It was self loathing for the team before each bullshit win followed by relief and immediate shitting on the losing team. This culminated in Cutler and the Steelers gifts in the championship and Super Bowl.

Packer fans are not as bad as the players and fans of Uruguay (tied with the Pats as the worst in all of sports) but they sure as hell are not the classiest! Not sure who has the most class either because most NFL fans are assholes!

Why not make the NFL a single elimination tournament

Sanjuro

Do I need to buy the $25 adaptor to use it on xb1?

Yeah, unfortunately. However, that adapter works with all modern headsets.

Your best deal is possibly the XB1 Stern headset if you want something decent that will work with everything. I believe I saw it for $40 or less recently.

Otherwise, it's just the adapter and whatever headset you like.

Konka

Banned

No team or fan wants to fly across the world to watch one match and go home. It's a celebration as much as it is a tournament.

eznark

Banned
No team or fan wants to fly across the world to watch one match and go home. It's a celebration as much as it is a tournament.

Oh, here I thought it was an athletic competition to determine The Motherfucking Best. If it's a prancing and preening festival of lollipops and rainbows carry on.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is why soccer is never going to catch on in 'Murica. We advanced even though we lost? That's like getting excited because you're taking your "friend" to prom, even though she's bringing another dude along for the ride.

squicken

Funny how the debate is on the US backing into the tournament, when a few hours ago Ghana had to truck in $3m in cash to get its players to actually play their match

That is literally one of the stupidest things I've read here.

I'm sure that in the history of the NFL on the last day of the regular season, there never was a team hoping for another team to not win so they could advance to the playoffs despite losing...

Konka

Banned
This is why soccer is never going to catch on in 'Murica. We advanced even though we lost? That's like getting excited because you're taking your "friend" to prom, even though she's bringing another dude along for the ride.

That's such bullshit and you know it. The same thing happens at the end of every NFL season. Just last year the eagles could lose 2 games in a row so long as we beat the cowboys. Same shit.

Konka

Banned
Oh yeah, I remember that time we played all 31 other teams last year. Good stuff.

I know you're just being dense but the concept is the same. Play a bunch of games against teams and those with the beat records move on to the single elimination tournament. We're happy we moved on not that we lost.

brentech

We call it the Matthew Stafford factor.

I was so excited about the win, I immediately got in my German car and drove (to drop off my recycling).

eznark

Banned
I know you're just being dense but the concept is the same. Play a bunch of games against teams and those with the beat records move on to the single elimination tournament. We're happy we moved on not that we lost.

No, it isn't. An unbalanced schedule is nothing like a round robin. Unless you mean "the concept is the same" in that both are calendars of events which dictate when one group will meet another group.

Konka

Banned
No, it isn't. An unbalanced schedule is nothing like a round robin. Unless you mean "the concept is the same" in that both are calendars of events which dictate when one group will meet another group.

Nothing like. Nothing at all. It isn't like within that season you play a round robin in your division.

I never want to know what a life is like where I'd rip on people for genuinely celebrating their country.

People getting too hostile in here. Let me fix things, here's Ray Lewis in a personalized Snuggie.

rl52snuggie.jpg

eznark

Banned
Nothing like. Nothing at all. It isn't like within that season you play a round robin in your division.

I never want to know what a life is like where I'd rip on people for genuinely celebrating.

I'm not ripping people, I'm ripping process.

Your divisional schedule isn't a round robin because winning it doesn't automatically advance you to the playoffs. Was it the Bengals who swept the AFC North a couple years ago and missed the playoffs?

I don't get the confusion here...I don't even like soccer but I understand how the world cup works, Group play is like the regular season and the elimination rounds are the playoffs.

eznark

Banned
I don't get the confusion here...I don't even like soccer but I understand how the world cup works, Group play is like the regular season and the elimination rounds are the playoffs.

No one seems confused. I think it's dumb (and clearly a season is nothing like a round robin) but that doesn't make it confusing.

eznark

Banned
Nope. Experts here have told me it is nothing like that.

I bet if you look up the definition of a Round Robin format one of the major US sports will be used to contrast a Round Robin. Maybe all of them.

edit (lol):

The term round-robin is derived from the term ruban, meaning "ribbon". Over a long period of time, the term was corrupted and idiomized to robin.[3][4]

In a single round-robin schedule, each participant plays every other participant once. If each participant plays all others twice, this is frequently called a double round-robin. The term is rarely used when all participants play one another more than twice,[1] and is never used when one participant plays others an unequal number of times (as is the case in almost all of the major United States professional sports leagues – see AFL (1940–41) and All-America Football Conference for exceptions).

Milchjon

No one seems confused. I think it's dumb (and clearly a season is nothing like a round robin) but that doesn't make it confusing.

So your beef with round robin is that you can advance despite losing, yet the NFL season is a-okay? Even if it's not technically a round robin, the effect is the same...

There are a million sensible reasons to hate soccer. You seem like some kind of hater hipster who's desperately trying to stay ahead of the hater mainstream when it comes to reasons to hate.

Top Bottom