• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

eznark

Banned
So your beef with round robin is that you can advance despite losing, yet the NFL season is a-okay? Even if it's not technically a round robin, the effect is the same...

There are a million sensible reasons to hate soccer. You seem like some kind of hater hipster who's desperately trying to stay ahead of the hater mainstream when it comes to reasons to hate.

Why do you think Round Robin tournaments are exclusive to soccer? They permeate all kinds of sports at amateur and international levels.

Milchjon

Why do you think Round Robin tournaments are exclusive to soccer? They permeate all kinds of sports at amateur and international levels.

Of course.

What are you even trying to argue? You started out complaining about advancing despite a loss, then moved to round robin because of the NFL season, now you're somewhere else again?

The knockout stage is a series of round robins. Like pretty much all international hockey tournaments, NCAA baseball regionals, most youth sports, etc.
What? There is a single elimination stage of the tournament to determine the winner. If it was a round robin tourney each team would play 31 other teams and the winner would be determined purely by points (like the Premier League).

cajunator

Banned
I think soccer is silly, but this is the rules of the tournament. you either accept it or you dont but thats how it is. Its silly to argue about really. wat I really need to know is whether or not the Bears still suck. Its been a while since an update.

eznark

Banned
Of course.

What are you even trying to argue? You started out complaining about advancing despite a loss, then moved to round robin because of the NFL season, now you're somewhere else again?

I've been arguing against the format the entire time. It's the format that results in things like caring more about the other games outcome than your own as long as you keep it less than embarrassing.

What? There is a single elimination stage of the tournament to determine the winner. If it was a round robin tourney each team would play 31 other teams and the winner would be determined purely by points (like the Premier League).

And I've clearly got no problem with phase 2. The pool teams together, have them play within the pool (which is where the stupidity occurs) then play a sensible tournament.

rando14

iDKtqxW81utoa.gif

eznark

Banned
Because those teams don't have a chance to play a regular season against eachother.

Which is why they should have one big awesome single elimination tournament. Hell I'd even take a double elim tournament like college baseball over the round robin pool format. At least then you know you have to win your game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not hard to get. People who value sportsmanship hate flopping, cheesing your way into a tournament and losses being victories. No matter the sport. It's not celebration worthy to lose your way into a top 16.

Milchjon

I've been arguing against the format the entire time. It's the format that results in things like caring more about the other games outcome than your own as long as you keep it less than embarrassing.

...I don't think I've seen a NFL season where this hasn't been true for at least one team...

Is there really any fun in this troll argument for you?

Sanjuro

...I don't think I've seen a NFL season where this hasn't been true for at least one team...

Is there really any fun in this troll argument for you?

How is it a "troll argument"?

Are you suggesting garbage time statistics should always be relevant?

Patriots would be the best team of the decade in that case.

It's not hard to get. People who value sportsmanship hate flopping, cheesing your way into a tournament and losses being victories. No matter the sport. It's not celebration worthy to lose your way into a top 16.

You would be dancing in the street naked with a bottle of Jack up your ass if the Bills 'lost' their way into the playoffs.

Plus, only the last game counts now? The win against Ghana means nothing?

MechDX

Man, that free $5 in Xbox Live credit thread. Some of those assholes set up multiple fake accounts and banked over $300 when you are supposed to get just $5

eznark

Banned
You would be dancing in the street naked with a bottle of Jack up your ass if the Bills 'lost' their way into the playoffs.

Did the first 18 games mean anything after the Patriots got humiliated in the 19th?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Your posts suggest otherwise.

No, they don't. Read 'em again and come back with your questions. Don't do this silly shit.

The format is the format. Everybody lives and dies by it. But it's just not a cause to celebrate when your team loses, and because somebody else sucks worse than you, you manage to sneak in to the elite 16. Great. We're in the top 16. On a 1-1-1 record.

Wes

venison crêpe
...but Portugal was better. They just were hosed because of some garbage time goals a couple games prior.

Statistically they weren't better because they conceded those goals against Germany and the US only conceded once for the whole duration. Doesn't matter when in the Portugal game they happened. Game doesn't just end because one team has a lead. There's no mercy rule.

Sanjuro

Statistically they weren't better because they conceded those goals against Germany and the US only conceded once for the whole duration. Doesn't matter when in the Portugal game they happened. Game doesn't just end because one team has a lead. There's no mercy rule.

They are better in the sense that,

America tied, then lost to following game. Portugal tied, and won the following game.

0-1-1 vs. 1-0-1

Portugal wins.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The format is the format. Everybody lives and dies by it. But it's just not a cause to celebrate when your team loses, and because somebody else sucks worse than you, you manage to sneak in to the elite 16. Great. We're in the top 16. On a 1-1-1 record.

American soccer fans should be celebrating this. This was the hardest group to advance through and they did it. Pretty much nobody thought we'd do it and they did it.

USA isn't the best team in the world but they belong in the round of 16.

4 more wins

eznark

Banned
American soccer fans should be celebrating this. This was the hardest group to advance through and they did it. Pretty much nobody thought we'd do it and they did it.

USA isn't the best team in the world but they belong in the round of 16.

4 more wins

But it's not like super rare for the US to get through this stage right?

They are better in the sense that,

America tied, then lost to following game. Portugal tied, and won the following game.

0-1-1 vs. 1-0-1

Portugal wins.
The NFL season should be two games long then playoffs. If nothing else we should at least have the decency and intelligence to disregard the first 14 games!

Oh look, actual NFL players know what this thread doesn't, that Peterson is a stud. He's voted 22nd best player in the league by his peers and will end up the #2 CB since Sherman is the only one left. He was voted 33rd best last year, moving on up choo choo! Note Talib stating what I posted not so long ago, about Peterson taking on a far more difficult role than Sherman and thus, he places Peterson #1 among CBs: http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2014/6/26/5844828/patrick-peterson-ranked-22nd-best-player-in-nfl

Top Bottom