• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Syrinx

Before the rule change to PKs, when they just played on and on, sucked worse than PKs. There's just no perfect way to decide an elimination game/match that ends in a tie. Who wanted to watch more soccer the way they played the last 30 minutes?

People like to brag about soccer not having commercial interruptions and timeouts and such as an attraction of the sport, and it is a plus, but this is the negative consequence; gassed players barely getting any rest to the point where they're incapable of actually playing soccer to decide who advances and who has to wait four goddamn years to get another chance at the World Cup.

Edit: And even given how tired they are and how bad the play on the field is as a result, I'd still rather have that than something so arbitrary.

BigAT

Before the rule change to PKs, when they just played on and on, sucked worse than PKs. There's just no perfect way to decide an elimination game/match that ends in a tie. Who wanted to watch more soccer the way they played the last 30 minutes?

But don't you think they played that way the last 30 minutes because the prospect of penalty kicks existed? They had no real intention of trying to score only because they could eventually get bailed out by penalty kicks.

jakncoke

Banned
I hate PKs, and I hate shootouts in hockey.

Thank god basketball and football don't throw in that kind of bullshit to settle games.

What would the NFL equivalent be? Each team has one play at the goal line to score?

College football OT is pretty dumb

squicken

But don't you think they played that way the last 30 minutes because the prospect of penalty kicks existed? They had no real intention of trying to score only because they could eventually get bailed out by penalty kicks.

Good point. I really do think, though, fatigue is the biggest issue. In that extra time you could see how they just had nothing left. I guess I feel like if the two teams can't decide the match in 120 minutes, I don't feel a great injustice is done when they go to PKs

uCT9JeY.jpg

What you been up to man?

Konka

Banned

Thank god basketball and football don't throw in that kind of bullshit to settle games.

What would the NFL equivalent be? Each team has one play at the goal line to score?

The NFL equivalent would be the college football OT system.

Syrinx

I wouldn't go too easy on the NFL here either. It wasn't five years ago where the Saints advanced to the Super Bowl by winning a coin toss, going 50 yards and kicking a field goal. Though at least the NFL has corrected the rules so that instance can't happen anymore, and football in general is much less conducive to games going into OT than soccer.

Narag

I wouldn't go too easy on the NFL here either. It wasn't five years ago where the Saints advanced to the Super Bowl by winning a coin toss, going 50 yards and kicking a field goal. Though at least the NFL has corrected the rules so that instance can't happen anymore, and football in general is much less conducive to games going into OT than soccer.

They went to the Super Bowl because of twelve men in the huddle penalty pushing the Vikings out of FG range and putting Favre in a position to throw that pick. Vikings had that sewn up and let the Saints back in.

Syrinx

They went to the Super Bowl because of twelve men in the huddle penalty pushing the Vikings out of FG range and putting Favre in a position to throw that pick. Vikings had that sewn up and let the Saints back in.

Oh yeah I'm not crying for the Vikings here. Just pointing out that the NFL's OT rules have their own flaws, though they've actually worked to correct some of them.

cajunator

Banned

Vikings also fumbled the ball at least 4 times. Both teams were fighting like a sonofabitch. One of the most exhausting games to watch.

Narag

Vikings also fumbled the ball at least 4 times. Both teams were fighting like a sonofabitch. One of the most exhausting games to watch.

That was the game where they were punting to Reggie Bush strategically, figuring he'd muff it at least once, I think. :lol

BigAT

I hate the NFL's OT rules as well, but at least they still play football. Imagine if they took 20 players off the field and went through a field goal kicking competition instead to determine games.

Mindlog

The NFL equivalent would be the Patriot Super Bowl Wins*.

Syrinx

I hate the NFL's OT rules as well, but at least they still play football. Imagine if they took 20 players off the field and went through a field goal kicking competition instead to determine games.

And I think with football as a sport, it's pretty much impossible to establish a set of OT rules that is 100% fair, since the team that has the football in a tie game inherently has the advantage. It's a very possession-oriented game where every score matters a lot. The NFL has done things to limit that advantage, but there's no real way to eradicate it, especially in the regular season where there's only one 15-minute OT period.

cajunator

Banned
That was the game where they were punting to Reggie Bush strategically, figuring he'd muff it at least once, I think. :lol

I had to work during this game :(
I was answering phone calls and it was busy. MY coworker was watching the TV he kept saying THEY FUMBLED AGAIN WE GOT IT BACK
I finished in time to see Favre throw the pick and go into OT. We made the kick I swear I jumped 5 feet in the air.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I reeeeally don't understand how anyone could like hockey but not soccer.

They aren't the same thing at all?

Hockey players don't even stay on the ice for more than 90 seconds before they have to get subbed out. Never really understood the tough guy mentality when they can't play for the entire game straight like soccer players.

ShaneB

They aren't the same thing at all?

Hockey players don't even stay on the ice for more than 90 seconds before they have to get subbed out. Never really understood the tough guy mentality when they can't play for the entire game straight like soccer players.

I can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

Top Bottom