• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

effzee

Remember how everyone and their mom (me included) wanted the Eagles to sign Jairus Byrd? And then when they didn't you all collectively flipped your shit and I decided to trust that they were making an informed decision?

Well it could be that this is why they decided to pass on committing a ton of money to the guy.

New Orleans Saints safety Jairus Byrd has back surgery, likely out until training camp

I know Payton is downplaying the severity of this, but back issues that require surgery are generally pretty serious. At the very least, I can see how something like this would scare off the Eagles.

Tons of guys have surgeries or work done over the off season and won't be ready until camp. A lot of it is guys who want to skip training camp no matter what. I doubt the Saints are so incompetent that they would let their starter leave (Jenkins) and then not do their due diligence on Byrd. If he misses actual game time then ok I'll give Chip credit

But Safety has been an issue since before Chip. And as much as I love Chip, like Reid, he seems to put little emphasis on Safety. Howie is the common link between the two and they have either drafted horribly for the position or ignored it completely. \

If you told me they passed on Byrd because of injury then why not pursue 2-3 of the other FAs who were all ranked higher than Jenkins? You telling me having TJ Ward wouldn't make you feel better? Just seems like they didn't want to spend the big money at that position and settled for a guy who they now try to package as some versatile weapon when in reality he has to versatile because he isn't great at any one thing.

cajunator

Banned
I never looked outside of Louisiana for a football team to root for. Just cant fathom doing it.
2009 was a glorious fluke in 44 years of Saints football and there hasnt been much else to cheer for. But I couldnt root for another team. Just couldnt. No matter how much theyd win and We would lose. Even now that my Saints are pretty good, they still have moments of head shaking fuckery. But thats what were used to. I was indoctrinated with a few rough years of Aaron Brooks, and that dude is like the second best QB the Saints had before Brees showed up. I am deeply proud of this region and its football crazed fans and of the team here which proudly wears Black and Gold.
*squees

Spinluck

Wait, 90's Honda Accords and Civics are the most stolen cars? Why?

My first car was a 93 Accord, and I have no idea why anyone would want to steal that.

Tons of guys have surgeries or work done over the off season and won't be ready until camp. A lot of it is guys who want to skip training camp no matter what. I doubt the Saints are so incompetent that they would let their starter leave (Jenkins) and then not do their due diligence on Byrd. If he misses actual game time then ok I'll give Chip credit

But Safety has been an issue since before Chip. And as much as I love Chip, like Reid, he seems to put little emphasis on Safety. Howie is the common link between the two and they have either drafted horribly for the position or ignored it completely. \

If you told me they passed on Byrd because of injury then why not pursue 2-3 of the other FAs who were all ranked higher than Jenkins? You telling me having TJ Ward wouldn't make you feel better? Just seems like they didn't want to spend the big money at that position and settled for a guy who they now try to package as some versatile weapon when in reality he has to versatile because he isn't great at any one thing.

Clearly Howie and Chip are so smart they knew that TJ would get drunk at a bar one time, and they cant afford to have any players like that on the roster since Chip is a college guy and he doesnt know how to deal with pros.

Spinluck

I never looked outside of Louisiana for a football team to root for. Just cant fathom doing it.
2009 was a glorious fluke in 44 years of Saints football and there hasnt been much else to cheer for. But I couldnt root for another team. Just couldnt. No matter how much theyd win and We would lose. Even now that my Saints are pretty good, they still have moments of head shaking fuckery. But thats what were used to. I was indoctrinated with a few rough years of Aaron Brooks, and that dude is like the second best QB the Saints had before Brees showed up. I am deeply proud of this region and its football crazed fans and of the team here which proudly wears Black and Gold.
*squees

You would've done the same in my position. I mostly hated growing up here, it wasn't until I got all of my siblings that I actually become more tolerant of the place. I'm pretty happy now though :)

resale value

Wait, you're kidding right?

MechDX

Don't fret. Texans have a lot of safties in camp and they all wont make the team. Going by history you guys will sign one and he will start day one

cajunator

Banned
Are you a ULL RAJIN CAJUNator?

fuck yeah son.
I went to a game during a tornado once. We had to leave because, well there was a tornado coming and the stadium lights went out. that was scary. We lost too.
They only got good after I left the university lol. But Im cheering for them hardcore under coach Hudspedth. LSU is fun to attend games and for the big game atmosphere, but my heart lies in those Cajuns.

Spinluck

Maybe Spin is a big fan of hookers, blow and mind warping player trades?

If anything fires my hatred of the Colts it is this. Such complete bullshit. Then I smile knowing its the Colts. They will never surround him with great players, o line is still terrible, Lucks new contract is going to make Flaccos contract look laughable in comparison and irsay is a batshit insane meth head.

:lol you should know I only added that because I know how much you hate it.

cajunator

Banned
You would've done the same in my position. I mostly hated growing up here, it wasn't until I got all of my siblings that I actually become more tolerant of the place. I'm pretty happy now though :)

Wait, you're kidding right?

No. Im pretty sure they used to be the most stolen car because of resale value. They sold for quite a high value and had valuable parts as well. There were a lot of them and they were apparently quite simple to steal.

All of the PS4 games have been idies so far because there frankly aren't a lot of retail releases yet. However, Vita and especially PS3 get a bunch of retail releases. Vita got Unit 13 last month (a third person shooter) and has Uncharted/Wipeout/Gravity Rush as well (all retail releases and decent to great games).
I have all the Uncharted games but I have a buddy that hasn't played them, I'll have to tip him off to this, thanks. I'll have to take a look, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at what's available.
jnc, I love my vita but nothing is coming out for it. Get one for the games that are already out and for stuff like remote play.
I could swear I've seen a game or two over the past few months or so that I was interested in but it was coming out for Vita so I immediately disregarded it. I'll have to see if I can figure out what they were or if I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm curious to see how well the remote function will work with the wifi in my house. For me, this purchase is worth it for the PS1 RPGs alone. When I saw my buddy playing FFVIII on the go I felt a little envy. I was just trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge for a classic PSN selection but the price I'm getting it at is a no brainer and I wanted to have the OG because dat OLED.

gutshot

Back surgery is a hell of a lot more serious than your average off-season procedure. Back injuries generally don't just go away over time, they typically recur and get even worse (see: Romo, Tony). I absolutely think that that would be enough to deter the Eagles from wanting him.

And putting little emphasis on safety seems to go against the belief that they would have drafted Clinton-Dix in the first round if he had fallen to them. I think Chip and Howie value the position, but they have a certain type of player they are looking for and aren't going to sign a guy just to sign a guy.

Ward wasn't the type of safety they wanted or needed. He's an in-the-box safety who excels against the run but isn't great in coverage. Given that the Eagles already have a good run D and often times struggled covering guys down the middle of the field, Ward wouldn't have been a good fit.

I'm trying to figure out why exactly yankee hates Chip so much.

He just likes to troll. I'm on to you, yankee.

cajunator

Banned
Back surgery is a hell of a lot more serious than your average off-season procedure. Back injuries generally don't just go away over time, they typically recur and get even worse (see: Romo, Tony). I absolutely think that that would be enough to deter the Eagles from wanting him.

And putting little emphasis on safety seems to go against the belief that they would have drafted Clinton-Dix in the first round if he had fallen to them. I think Chip and Howie value the position, but they have a certain type of player they are looking for and aren't going to sign a guy just to sign a guy.

Ward wasn't the type of safety they wanted or needed. He's an in-the-box safety who excels against the run but isn't great in coverage. Given that the Eagles already have a good run D and often times struggled covering guys down the middle of the field, Ward wouldn't have been a good fit.

He just likes to troll. I'm on to you, yankee.

uhmmm...

dionysus

Yaldog
For me the Ditka era shapes my thoughts when it comes to the Saints. I realize that the Saints being good is a short lived fluke, likely to end when Brees succombs to age.

From wikipedia...

Ditka was roundly criticized for the trading of all of the team's 1999 draft picks (plus their first round draft pick in 2000) to the Washington Redskins to move up in the draft and select Texas RB Ricky Williams (Washington would later use the picks to select future Pro Bowlers Champ Bailey, Jon Jansen, and LaVar Arrington). The trade was further mocked because of a magazine cover in which Ditka posed with Williams, who was wearing a wedding dress.[13]

The drafting of Williams did not help the Saints' situation at all. In fact, the team regressed to a 3-13 mark in 1999. After a week-13 loss to the Atlanta Falcons to drop the Saints to 2-10, Ditka took the blame for the team's poor offensive performance thus far in the season and said he was "probably the wrong guy for this job" and the Saints would probably be better off hiring someone else. Ditka claimed he "didn't have it anymore", was thinking about leaving, and "God puts people in places for reasons, and he probably put me here to be humbled. I deserve it." He claimed he had "failed" the team, and he perhaps had changed too much as a coach. The Saints only won one more time the remainder of the year and Ditka, along with general manager Bill Kuharich, lost his job at the end of the year. Despite the high expectations upon his hiring, Ditka's overall record with the Saints was 15–33. (By contrast his replacement, Jim Haslett, took the Saints to a 10-6 record and a division title the next year with essentially the same team.)

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 33m
steve smith on joe flacco 'I've been an admirer of him even when he was at delaware'

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 32m
steve smith on joe flacco 'we're both learning the offense and each other we're going to be a pretty good offense'

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 31m
Steve smith on being age 35 'I like to serve a little bit of humble pie to you (media) when I do a little bit better than you said I would'

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 29m
steve smith on his personality 'on the football field you're not out there sharing cookie recipes it's an aggressive game'

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 27m
Steve smith 'the db in front of me will find out real quick how much I have left in the tank'

How many overthrown balls before 89 turns on Eyebrow?

BigAT

I miss Jim Haslett.

His offensive scheme was the best.

inRscvXz5FcAD.gif

MechDX

You mean Carolina from 2003-2009?

Welcome to Kubiaks gameplan. I still can not see Flacco being good with conserviak's play calling.

Kubes: "Ok Joe. Just throw a quick out and let the receiver try to get the first down 4 yards further downfield."

Flacco: "Fuck that! Unleash the dragon biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!"

Kubiak: "Unnnnnnnghhh......grabs chest

Drakeon

I have all the Uncharted games but I have a buddy that hasn't played them, I'll have to tip him off to this, thanks. I'll have to take a look, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at what's available.

I could swear I've seen a game or two over the past few months or so that I was interested in but it was coming out for Vita so I immediately disregarded it. I'll have to see if I can figure out what they were or if I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm curious to see how well the remote function will work with the wifi in my house. For me, this purchase is worth it for the PS1 RPGs alone. When I saw my buddy playing FFVIII on the go I felt a little envy. I was just trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge for a classic PSN selection but the price I'm getting it at is a no brainer and I wanted to have the OG because dat OLED.

I was referring to the Vita Uncharted. If you haven't had a Vita before now, then you wouldn't have that game, would you? It's Uncharted Golden Abyss.

I'm trying to figure out why exactly yankee hates Chip so much.
I am pissed that they cut DJax and I blame Chip for that more then Howie. I just hate when anyone acts like they have done anything when they havent. They couldnt even win a playoff game last year and have done nothing to improve this offseason.

I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from here. The Eagles were fine against the run last year but struggled against the pass. Ward is good against the run but not that great against the pass ergo he wasn't a good fit for them.

Eagles run D got gashed in the playoffs last season, I know 90% of that was Logans fault but still if they had a safety that could help support against the run they could have won that game even with the offense sucking dick in the first half.

Vyroxis

Banned
*squees

I'm the same way as a Vikings fan. I cannot, and would not, be able to root for anyone else. Even after the heartbreak of the 98, 00, and 09 seasons, I just can't do it. Until the day I die or the Vikings leave, I will will be a fan.

Steve Smith is the active leader in career all-purpose yards? Neat

Will probably be passed by Wes Welker this year though.

Talon said:
You mean Carolina from 2003-2009?

To be fair, even though we didn't pass it that often, I'm pretty sure every pass thrown by Jake Delhomme from 2006 to 2009 was thrown to Steve Smith. Every single fucking one.

Double coverage? Fuck it, go to Smitty.

Triple Coverage? Fuck it, go to Smitty.

Top Bottom