• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

10363811_10202723667267272_8310438105730165067_n.jpg

I'd eat that.

Finally a gata I can agree with.

effzee

Back surgery is a hell of a lot more serious than your average off-season procedure. Back injuries generally don't just go away over time, they typically recur and get even worse (see: Romo, Tony). I absolutely think that that would be enough to deter the Eagles from wanting him.

Why would the Saints go for him then? If it was known and so serious they too would have been scared off no? Or the other teams who were pursuing him?

Bills gaf was it a known issue?

Ward wasn't the type of safety they wanted or needed. He's an in-the-box safety who excels against the run but isn't great in coverage. Given that the Eagles already have a good run D and often times struggled covering guys down the middle of the field, Ward wouldn't have been a good fit.

They absolutely needed Ward. Their safeties are bad to only passable. So even though they were better against the run in the box, by no means were they strong at that point. They could have used an upgrade it the spot with Ward and signed Jenkins if they loved him so much.

JABEE

Wtf are you talking about?
i have been down on Foles since he looked so terrible as a rookie. He had a good year stat wise last year, but only people like kas who accept losing care about stats.

I could have sworn that you were a big Foles fan. You said, "Don't Draft Manziel" on draft night too!

Give Foles some credit, YH! He's a good kid.

Why would the Saints go for him then? If it was known and so serious they too would have been scared off no? Or the other teams who were pursuing him?

Bills gaf was it a known issue?

They absolutely needed Ward. Their safeties are bad to only passable. So even though they were better against the run in the box, by no means were they strong at that point. They could have used an upgrade it the spot with Ward and signed Jenkins if they loved him so much.

If they had signed Ward I would only hate the Jenkins singing rather then what I feel towards it now.

If you guys hadn't been on this nonsense about Patrick Peterson being anything more than a punt returner, this wouldn't be happening.

I'm never quite sure if you guys are trolling when it comes to Peterson, you guys are literally the only people I ever see bash him. I'm sure there is an article or two out on the net if I were to hunt them down but virtually everyone that discusses football acknowledges him as a top 5 CB in this league. He was voted into the PB as a CB this last time around and if measuring actual ability, the only guy I wouldn't place him above just yet is maybe Revis. Haden is up there though.

Peterson runs circles around Sherman, Sherman could never ever do what Peterson does. Sherman is indeed at the top of the league in production which he loves to tout, and I respect his results, but he is a product of SEA's system and not much more. Sherman is asked to cover HALF a field with the best safety in the league backing him up. Peterson is a true CB1 that follows the top opposing WR EVERYWHERE on the field and has had to truly attempt to shut his assignment down, without a talented safety backing him up. Sherman would look like complete shit if he was asked to do the same. I'd bet any money Peterson would have even better results than Sherman if they were swapped with one another while Sherman would look like the 5th round pick that he is trying to do what Peterson does for us.

So go ahead, feel like you have the top CB in the league thanks to the stellar system and talent around him you have in place, but if you actually pay attention to what's asked of them, you would realize Sherman isn't half the player he and others think he is and Peterson is clearly better. Ultimately, this argument is stupid anyway because the only thing that matters are the team's results and Sherman is a part of a SB winning defense, he's valuable in SEA regardless of who's better than him. Peterson is a stud who is still growing better by the season and we have a SB worthy defense, but we still haven't been there since Peterson has been on the team so I will pay my respect to the SEA D and Sherman's work there and hope that the Card's D earns the same respect soon by getting the same results.

Talon

I'm never quite sure if you guys are trolling when it comes to Peterson, you guys are literally the only people I ever see bash him. I'm sure there is an article or two out on the net if I were to hunt them down but virtually everyone that discusses football acknowledges him as a top 5 CB in this league. He was voted into the PB as a CB this last time around and if measuring actual ability, the only guy I wouldn't place him above just yet is maybe Revis. Haden is up there though.

Peterson runs circles around Sherman, Sherman could never ever do what Peterson does. Sherman is indeed at the top of the league in production which he loves to tout, and I respect his results, but he is a product of SEA's system and not much more. Sherman is asked to cover HALF a field with the best safety in the league backing him up. Peterson is a true CB1 that follows the top opposing WR EVERYWHERE on the field and has had to truly attempt to shut his assignment down, without a talented safety backing him up. Sherman would look like complete shit if he was asked to do the same. I'd bet any money Peterson would have even better results than Sherman if they were swapped with one another while Sherman would look like the 5th round pick that he is trying to do what Peterson does for us.

So go ahead, feel like you have the top CB in the league thanks to the stellar system and talent around him you have in place, but if you actually pay attention to what's asked of them, you would realize Sherman isn't half the player he and others think he is and Peterson is clearly better. Ultimately, this argument is stupid anyway because the only thing that matters are the team's results and Sherman is a part of a SB winning defense, he's valuable in SEA regardless of who's better than him. Peterson is a stud who is still growing better by the season and we have a SB worthy defense, but we still haven't been there since Peterson has been on the team so I will pay my respect to the SEA D and Sherman's work there and hope that the Card's D earns the same respect soon by getting the same results.
Looking at their component stats, there’s no area where Peterson beats Sherman: Since 2012, Peterson has allowed a higher completion percentage (53 percent to Sherman’s 49 percent) and a much higher touchdown percentage (7 percent to Sherman’s 2.8 percent). Peterson also has a lower interception percentage (5.4 percent to Sherman’s 11 percent) and a much higher Adjusted Yards per Attempt figure (6.3 to Sherman’s 2.9). Even if you subscribe to the theory that a good cornerback’s primary value is in preventing passes from ever being attempted — which I do — opponents threw at Peterson once every 11.8 snaps, and at Sherman once every 13.7 snaps.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/is-patrick-peterson-a-better-cornerback-than-richard-sherman/

rando14

I'm just curious how much PP is going to get from AZ!! Theres a LOT of good players from the 10/11 class coming up and with steep spikes in salary cap coming, a lot of money is going to get thrown around.

Better to lock em up now I think!!

Pepiope

No both seasons sucked.
If you dislike Foles at QB then you're in for a long decade.

Last season was a breath of fresh air and a great success if you consider the fact that the team was learning a new defensive and offensive scheme. Chip gets another year to bring in his guys, another year to continue implementing his offense, and another year to gel with the players.

cdyhybrid

It's roughly 2/3 trolling. I don't get the top 5 or best-in-the-game hype, but I think he's good.

If QBs aren't throwing to Sherman, and they aren't throwing to Thomas who supposedly does all of Sherman's work for him, where do QBs throw to?
Who says no one throws to him? I spoke to his exponentially easier role of only covering half a field with a stud backing him up.
It's roughly 2/3 trolling. I don't get the top 5 or best-in-the-game hype, but I think he's good.

Alright, just wanted to get your honest opinion out once, you can troll away now ;) So who are your top 5 CBs then?

I have Peterson, Revis, Haden and Sherman as the easy top 4 (not necessarily this order, they are interchangeable). I'd probably say Revis is #1 right now until I see how he plays for NE. Sherman is in here for his production because while my long post has merit in comparing one player to another, if we're talking who the top guys in the league are, production certainly is a top factor and Sherman is king in that regard.

Which was to flail ignorantly before deciding that none of it mattered?

I consider this an ignorant comment. I gave Sherman credit for his stats and I stated why I feel that Peterson is a better player. Production most certainly does matter and it's why I still place Sherman in the top 4 CBs in the league. I have yet to see a counter argument to my primary points of responsibilities asked between the two of them and that Sherman would be up to the task of playing the way Peterson is asked to.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sherman would say himself that he's a more intellectual corner than an athletic corner, and he's a key player in secondary preparation and coordination. Besides, acting like he hasn't been getting better as well since he was drafted was REALLY DUMB. Part of why he fell so far in the draft was his newness to the position.

Sherman would say himself that he's a more intellectual corner than an athletic corner, and he's a key player in secondary preparation and coordination.

He would be correct in saying so and I never stated otherwise. I've always stated that he works extremely well in the system and with today's argument, was stating I don't think he'd work well in another system asked to do more. Thomas is THE key piece, however.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Intellectual corner? If you rubbed Peterson's and Sherman's brains together, you'd be lucky to get enough power to make ketchup rice soup.

Now Ike Taylor, on the other hand, his brain looks like it's about to pop right out of his cranium!

6461.jpg

Tom Penny

Peterson

His assignment may be more difficult than some of the league's other corners, but he has yet to perform at a level that puts him into the top echelon at the position. He surrendered seven touchdowns into his coverage -- tying for third most in the league -- while his 1.00 yards/cover snap tied for 15th. Using interception numbers to judge a cornerback may be even worse than using tackles for a linebacker, but Peterson got his hands on only nine passes (three intercepted, six passes defensed), a number you would expect to be a little higher for a top cornerback that was targeted 90 times.

It's impossible to take you seriously at this point.
Why is that? 4-12 sucked. Last year sucked as well. Any year that the Eagles don't even win a single playoff game is a shitty year. The hope is that last year was the first step in the team getting good again. If you think last year was some great success you are nuts. They got every break a team could get and still barely won the worst division in football. Hopefully they take a step forward this year and actually have a good season.

i don't get the PP hype. thought he has been overrated since he came into the league. i only watch 2 of his games a year, but he routinely gets abused (especially by crabtree). his PR against us has also been trash.

but maybe he's incredible against everyone else! i support arizona breaking the bank to give him an extension

MRSA

Banned
Wow. That bad, huh?

They animu'd the shit outta of it. Its in a HS setting of animu degenerates similar to the likes of Coldplay.

I have Valkyria Chronicles III on my PSP that has been fan translated, the best you're going to get. VCIII is a lot more difficult than VC, but it took everything that was good in the first 2 and expanded on it I suppose.

Especially with the PSP emulator now, you can play it on your computer without your eyes bleeding so much.

cdyhybrid

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1m
Steve Ballmer will spend more for Clippers, than what new NBA Owners spent, since '11, for Pistons/Bucks/Grizzlies/Sixers/Pelicans COMBINED

Top Bottom