• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

I'm hosting an NFL GAF meet-up in Oakland this Friday at the O's/A's game at O.co. I'll be the only O's fan in the right field bleachers, come find me.

I know this is frowned upon here but I'm posting a dolphins write up from Yahoos Shut down corner, it's the first decent review that I've seen of the dolphins so far:

Last year was a mess because of the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito bullying scandal that happened in the middle of the season. It the NFL's biggest story – how did that team ever have a chance to concentrate on football? – and it decimated Miami's offensive line. When the Dolphins were outplayed and beaten by an 0-8 Tampa Bay team on a Monday night in early November, they fell to 4-5. If any team had an excuse to quit, this was it.

Ryan Tannehill
The Dolphins could be better this year. Ryan Tannehill is the young star quarterback nobody talks about. He has some good weapons around him, and with the addition of former Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert, he might not take another beating this season. The defense is solid. Keeping cornerback Brent Grimes from hitting free agency was a smart move.

There are still some holes on the roster, but one would assume there's no way this season is as chaotic as 2013. Maybe when we talk about the Dolphins this year, it'll be for what they're doing on the field.

Is the roster better, worse or about the same?: It's better because the Dolphins addressed their biggest weakness. The Dolphins not only signed Albert, one of the top-end left tackles in free agency, they drafted Tennessee offensive tackle Ja'Wuan James in the first round.

Tackle Jason Fox and guard Shelley Smith were signed as well. Guard Daryn Colledge was added in June. Sense a theme? Center Mike Pouncey had hip surgery in June and might miss a few games, which is a huge blow, but the line has improved as a whole. Other additions, like running back Knowshon Moreno, safety Louis Delmas and defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, might help too.

Achilles heel: The offseason buzz about running back Lamar Miller is positive, but we heard the same things this time last year. The Dolphins have shown over and over and over and over that they don't trust Miller all that much, despite his talent.

Ready to break out: Since nobody seems to mention Tannehill when discussing up-and-coming quarterbacks, we're putting him in this category. In Tannehill's second season he threw for 3,913 yards and 24 touchdowns (up from 3,294 and 12 his rookie year), all while absorbing a league-high 58 sacks behind a horrendous offensive line. His 17 interceptions were too high, but again, horrible line play was a factor. By any reasonable measure Tannehill has done just fine his first two seasons, and showed improvement in year two. He should take another step forward this season, and then maybe some people will start talking about him.

Stat fact:The Dolphins had 20 sacks from their starting defensive ends, Olivier Vernon and Cameron Wake, last season. Getting 8.5 sacks out of Wake might actually be considered a down year, because he had 15 the year before. The fact that Vernon emerged makes the Dion Jordan situation easier to swallow.

This team’s best-case scenario for the 2014 season: Is there a reason to believe the Dolphins can't be in playoff contention? They were a home win against the Jets from a playoff spot last year, there won't be anywhere near the amount of distractions this year (they hope), they had a decent offseason and their quarterback might have a third-year breakout.

And here’s the nightmare scenario: While the Dolphins' battle to 8-8 was impressive, it was still just 8-8 and six of their wins came by less than a touchdown. It was far from a dominant team. The offensive line is better but still not great. The defense is good but not great. In fact, the Dolphins don't do anything at a truly elite level, so their best hope might be to keep grinding out close wins. And if the luck changes a bit, the record will too.

The crystal ball says: The Dolphins have some good pieces to build around, and they're probably the second-best team in the AFC East. Yet, unless Tannehill takes a mega-leap, this is probably a good team that's not good enough to make the playoffs.

I'm a little surprised they didn't mention our weakness at the line backer position and questionable secondary especially at corner opposite Grimes. The oline is the biggest group weakness though even with the upgrade at LT, with Pouncey gone for at least 4 games we will be starting with all five new starters this year. I hope Tannehill has a will written up already.

bionic77

Pretty sure the olds are keeping it MLB a float but NBA and NFL got the younger generations.

Get rid the fucking byes jesus.
It's the olds and the kids who had shitty fathers and mistake baseball for family.

Definitely dying. NBA has peaked in the US (too many old white guys who will never watch it) but it the 2nd most popular sport in the world.

NFL is king in the US but can't attract the same interest as NBA worldwide outside of UK Jags fans and Eurotrash Pats fans.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I ain't doing shit in east Houston. You don't get around the city much do you?

East Houston is pretty gross. Places like Deer Park aren't *that* bad though. Not sure if that really makes a difference for cajun at all though.

It's the olds and the kids who had shitty fathers and mistake baseball for family.

Definitely dying. NBA has peaked in the US (too many old white guys who will never watch it) but it the 2nd most popular sport in the world.

NFL is king in the US but can't attract the same interest as NBA worldwide outside of UK Jags fans and Eurotrash Pats fans.

The NFL will eventually have to expand into Mexico or somehow permeate Latino culture if they hope to grow. Makes more sense than Europe to me anyway.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think they're different kinds of nerds.

F8jNkm0.jpg

squicken

Yes please. Need more people to troll when they come back to the CLink and get all sensitive and get themselves thrown out of the game again.

Was he fined or suspended? You'd think he'd get additional punishment for contact with a ref. But it's the same as always: Chickens get all the calls at home

Wait, the 0-8 Bucs played the 4-4 Fins on MNF?

:jnc ESPN

There was a lot of shit match ups last year on MNF. Vikings vs Giants, Bucs vs Dolphins, 49ers vs Redskins, etc. SNF has been outclassing MNF match ups massively the last few years. Still annoyed at us only getting one home primetime game (and our schedule in general) because of apparently blowing teams out.

ShaneB

i saw madden 08/nhl 08 pc combo on sale for PC for $2. almost bought it!

Aw. You should've!

There was a lot of shit match ups last year on MNF. Vikings vs Giants, Bucs vs Dolphins, 49ers vs Redskins, etc. SNF has been outclassing MNF match ups massively the last few years. Still annoyed at us only getting one home primetime game (and our schedule in general) because of apparently blowing teams out.

SNF has the luxury of flex scheduling games to the primetime slot as well.

i'd say the niners/skins game was pretty sweet indeed!

RGIIIAldonSmith.gif

Ppl are talking about little Caesars like it's the truth in that dominos thread smh smh.
Edit: agree Mackenzie, waiting for draft was worst part of the offseason.

Top Bottom