• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

dionysus

Yaldog
Probably an ignorant opinion but I think Graham is a bit overrated. He disappears entirely when he is competently covered. That should still be valuable because theoretically it should free up the actual receivers more but to me it seems like when Graham disappears the other receivers are not stepping up.

Of course my comment could be summed up by stating the obvious that a good defense is a good defense. Just with as much hype as Graham gets he shouldn't disappear completely like he does.

To sum up, fuck Seattle and their really good defense and scheming vs. the Saints.

cajunator

Banned
Probably an ignorant opinion but I think Graham is a bit overrated. He disappears entirely when he is competently covered. That should still be valuable because theoretically it should free up the actual receivers more but to me it seems like when Graham disappears the other receivers are not stepping up.

Of course my comment could be summed up by stating the obvious that a good defense is a good defense. Just with as much hype as Graham gets he shouldn't disappear completely like he does.

To sum up, fuck Seattle and their really good defense and scheming vs. the Saints.

He probably is a little overrated but as it stands, he has played way over his rookie contract and well above what a third rounder is expected to ever do. It was either pay him or let him walk and face a massive downgrade in the offense.
WIth Kenny Stills emerging and Brandin cooks out there to take some of the heat off Colston and Meachem, its going to be harder to just lock down on Graham and shut down the offense like last year anyway. Last year he literally was the offense and production was still way up there.Also keep in mind he played last year with plantar fasciitis. He put up those numbers and he wasnt even at 100%

dionysus

Yaldog
He probably is a little overrated but as it stands, he has played way over his rookie contract and well above what a third rounder is expected to ever do. It was either pay him or let him walk and face a massive downgrade in the offense.
WIth Kenny Stills emerging and Brandin cooks out there to take some of the heat off Colston and Meachem, its going to be harder to just lock down on Graham and shut down the offense like last year anyway. Last year he literally was the offense and production was still way up there.Also keep in mind he played last year with plantar fasciitis. He put up those numbers and he wasnt even at 100%

Can't disagree with you. Saints couldn't afford to let him walk. My frustration is that the Saints window is closing and we need an upgrade somewhere to get over the hurdle that is Seattle or the 49ers, our cheap TE becoming expensive doesn't help that cause. But it is what it is, every team has to deal with that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Might be because for the last month it was mainly about NBA players getting max contract offers at 20mil+ per year for flopping around the court.

So what you're saying is that the Saints only paying $10 million for a BASKETBALL PLAYER is cheap?

That's as crazy as the Saints taking a chance on Drew Brees after failing the physical in Miami and the city of New Orleans rebounding after a devastating hurricane!

But you guys probably didn't hear about any of that did you?

cajunator

Banned
Can't disagree with you. Saints couldn't afford to let him walk. My frustration is that the Saints window is closing and we need an upgrade somewhere to get over the hurdle that is Seattle or the 49ers, our cheap TE becoming expensive doesn't help that cause. But it is what it is, every team has to deal with that.

Considering this is the most overall talented team the Saints have ever fielded Id say they have done everything possible within the cap space to improve them. they let some expensive and injury prone vets go, got younger at many positions and built through the draft, picked up some key FA's known for forcing turnovers and veteran leadership, and have a year of experience under Ryan's defensive system. Linebacker Victor Butler is finally returning and if he can stay healthy that immediately improves the LB position. They have basically done everything possible to make this team the most competitive it has ever been. Whether that translates on the field is another thing but the F.O. has worked some miracles to get this roster where it is. You should be VERY happy with how this team currently is.

So what you're saying is that the Saints only paying $10 million for a BASKETBALL PLAYER is cheap?

That's as crazy as the Saints taking a chance on Drew Brees after failing the physical in Miami and the city of New Orleans rebounding after a devastating hurricane!

But you guys probably didn't hear about any of that did you?

No, what I was saying is that it's cheap relative to the contracts NBA players get when a guy like Graham gets pummeled several times a game and an NBA player likes to 'exaggerate the consequences of mild contact', to put it nicely.

cajunator

Banned
No, what I was saying is that it's cheap relative to the contracts NBA players get when a guy like Graham gets pummeled several times a game and an NBA player likes to 'exaggerate the consequences of mild contact', to put it nicely.

Football players also have some rest time. Dont basketball players go full speed for a lengthy period of time? they are putting in just as much work out there, just in smaller amounts per play as opposed to the massive energy spent for every football play.

cajunator

Banned
This is how low the standards for linebacker have gotten. Victor Butler is an impact player.

Cant win em all.
Linebacker is the weakest portion of the team but its basically the only real "hole" that exists. Dline is solid. Secondary is secure. Offense is what they always are. Very few positions of need on this roster at the moment. Ill take a weak linebacker position over other deficiencies.

Football players also have some rest time. Dont basketball players go full speed for a lengthy period of time? they are putting in just as much work out there, just in smaller amounts per play as opposed to the massive energy spent for every football play.

That's true, but you if you had a chance to give the same contracts to players between the sports, wouldn't you give Graham at least the same amount of money that top NBA players make? Guys like Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay were all hovering around the 20mil mark for the season. I'd say a Jimmy Graham for 10mil per year is relatively cheap when just looking the figures themselves, not the cap hit for the team.

Fox318

1. Baseball
  2. NFL
  3. Hockey
  4. NBA
  5. Golf
  6. Soccer
  7. Auto Racing
  8. Wrestling(not wwe)
  9. Boxing
  10. Tennis
  11. Cycling

Sports that I couldn't feign liking

1. Cricket
  2. College Football
  3. College Basketball
  4. MMA

Although I used to hate everything about soccer and then it kinda clicked.

cajunator

Banned
That's true, but you if you had a chance to give the same contracts to players between the sports, wouldn't you give Graham at least the same amount of money that top NBA players make? Guys like Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay were all hovering around the 20mil mark for the season. I'd say a Jimmy Graham for 10mil per year is relatively cheap when just looking the figures themselves, not the cap hit for the team.

if Graham is happy with this contract and its lower than expected year to year that can only help the cap not hurt it. Its smart money usage by the front office and thats why the Saints stay competitive.

1. Baseball
  2. NFL
  3. Hockey
  4. NBA
  5. Golf
  6. Soccer
  7. Auto Racing
  8. Wrestling(not wwe)
  9. Boxing
  10. Tennis
  11. Cycling

Sports that I couldn't feign liking

1. Cricket
  2. College Football
  3. College Basketball
  4. MMA

Although I used to hate everything about soccer and then it kinda clicked.

Decided on a soccer team to root for?

if Graham is happy with this contract and its lower than expected year to year that can only help the cap not hurt it. Its smart money usage by the front office and thats why the Saints stay competitive.

Well yeah. But because of the fact that you gotta pay a huge amount of players on the roster, some very talented and high impact players at non-premium positions (usually) get underpaid.

Morning.
Nice avatar confrontation.

I felt I needed to change mine before the inevitable Indians collapse and get ready for football season. I just noticed mine is almost exactly the same as yours though, ffs. I'll try to find a more distinct one.

Decided on a soccer team to root for?

Decided on a new face?

cajunator

Banned
Well yeah. But because of the fact that you gotta pay a huge amount of players on the roster, some very talented and high impact players at non-premium positions (usually) get underpaid.

I felt I needed to change mine before the inevitable Indians collapse and get ready for football season. I just noticed mine is almost exactly the same as yours though, ffs. I'll try to find a more distinct one.

Decided on a new face?

thats just the reality of a salary cap. Cant keep premium players at every position. this isnt baseball. Next year will provide more challenges and changes as new players come to the forefront and perform well and either demand new contracts or go to FA.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I know I just wanted to dump on the Saints media coverage some more.

KATRINA

...okay I'm done. For now.

I've actually been doing a lot of research on an EPL team to support, and nothing is clicking. I might just have to go into the season as a free agent and let the sport move my allegiances.

For a minute this morning, I thought bg had crushed his balls in the shower.
:Lol just saw the thread
CUd7MIs.jpg

Kluwe's holding a press conference at some point today. The reason? The investigation into the homophobia allegations on the Vikings coaching staff, that his Deadspin article resulted in, finally turned up results. Results that the Vikings are refusing to publicly release to him or anybody, meaning there's something juicy/horrible enough in there that they don't want to show.

thats just the reality of a salary cap. Cant keep premium players at every position. this isnt baseball. Next year will provide more challenges and changes as new players come to the forefront and perform well and either demand new contracts or go to FA.

Yea this is pretty much all I thought when I saw Graham signed. Oh well, at least I think this season is going to be really good.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ive heard that this is some of the most excrutiating pain a human can endure and will probaby lead to death in most cases.

Supposedly any kind of major injury in the stomach area is the worst. Like stabbed or shot.

MRSA might know. He probably tells people dying to keep it down because he's reading a book or something.

Edit: Who the hell sits down in a shower? Put your feet up on the walls of the tub next time!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=a...t&keywords=bathtub+mat&ie=UTF8&qid=1405438906

Problem solved. I don't even use one but if you're worried about that here you go.

Edit: at least sitting down in the shower isn't as odd as sleeping in jeans

Yea gonna have to get me one of those.

Can you ppl just not bend down to reach your legs?

My head comes eerily close to the faucet. If you don't pay attention, which I haven't in the past, you will hit your head. That's because the tub and the whole area around it is relatively small.

cajunator

Banned

bionic77

I never knew that taking a shower was so complicated.

Somehow my 3 year old son has no problems doing it.

He must be a genius. That is the only explanation.

Top Bottom