• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

USA wouldn't have lost by 6!! :cool:

USA USA USA

Wait would we have, I dont even know

We played Germany and didn't lose by 6.

Granted it was just as one sided in terms of controlling the match, the US was just much much better in making crucial challenges/blocking shots/Tim Howard being a gawd/etc etc

Greg

"He's 34 years old and outruns everybody in practice." -Packers DT Mike Daniels on Julius Peppers

Packers D

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Troy Polamalu ✔ @tpolamalu

Looks like we'll still be the only ones with 6 World Fútbol Championships
3:28 PM - 8 Jul 2014

Milchjon

ger1hdkgh.gif

Spinluck

Neymar and Silva aren't a fucking 6-goal difference. They never had a chance, holy shit at this video game game.

USA with Altidore would've totally did better!

cajunator

Banned
actually the recent SB would be better in comparison with the meaning of the game. But scorewise.
What the fuck happened to BRazil?

bionic77

Neymar and Silva aren't a fucking 6-goal difference. They never had a chance, holy shit at this video game game.

USA with Altidore would've totally did better!
They didn't try. It was embarrassing.

Who the hell does that in the world cup or any national competition?

Feel bad for Brazil. None of those players should still be on the team by the end of tonight. That's not a overreaction either. The lack of effort was disgusting.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Taking painkillers for workout related pain?

Uh, what?

For me, one of the key goals of working out is a healthy body, and that sure as hell doesn't sound healthy.

I tore my ankle ligament early May. I've been on Workmans Comp since and will be for a few more weeks.

Like I was saying I've not only had extreme pain in my ankle, but as I've started working out my upper body I've had tons of pain in my hips, knees and legs.

I'm 6'5 240 LBs or so, so while my upper body has been getting in great shape I haven't been able to work out on my legs till I'm fully cleared by my doctor thus putting a lot of weight and tension on my back, hips and knees. I try to avoid the painkillers and handle the pain as best I can but sometimes its just necessary.

Follow up piece by Sando on his QB tiers piece. 4 QBs with a chance to become tier 1 QBs. Stafford, Wussle, Kap, Scam

Insider-- http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=8507

On Stafford

If Scam, Kaep and Wussle are Staffords' competetion for Elite QB status Stafford is already there. And this is with Manning, Brady and Brees being on there way out just because Father Time will hit them these next two years.

I don't call Stafford an elite QB because he's a Detroit Lion. That's where NFLGAF gets it twisted. If Stafford sucked and he was say a Geno Smith or a Mark Sanchez (in the sense the garbage QB play you see is what you'll get) I'd call him out on it and be the first to call for drafting a new QB.

I've watched almost every pro game the guy has played since his first game at New Orleans in 2009, and I see the type of elite QB pocket passer with the traits of a Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

Surround him with the right talent and a solid coaching staff and he will pick apart your defense all day. I saw him do it in 2011 when our offense was getting into full swing and we made the playoffs. I've seen him do it the past two seasons which were considered "bad seasons". Stafford has it all in terms of talent, ability and knowledge of the game but like the article stated from day one he took over the worst team in NFL history and was thrown to the wolves.

What happened to Stafford and the Lions these past few seasons has been a combo of having no offensive weapons sans Megatron (who gets tripled teamed anyway) and a Scott Linehan offense that became extremely predictable.

And I can't emphasize enough who the biggest pickup of our offseason has been thus far:

nfl_a_lombardi_ap_600.jpg

Joe Lombardi. The QB coach during the Saints Superbowl, the grandson of Vince Lombardi and the main man under Sean Payton. Caldwell will not be steering this offense it will be Joe Lombardi.

I promise you within two years he will be one of the most sought after head coaches in the league.

Restore the Roar 2014.

bionic77

Jesus KAS. Your devotion to Fatford is insane.

And he needs more weapons? :lol great qbs make their players into weapons. It is not the other way around. Every 4 years Ben magically gets a new superstar receiver who usually don't do shit the minute they leave. Coincidence? No that's what real elite qbs do. They just get fat and throw into triple coverage and have their star receiver bail them out. That is what frauds and Schoobs do.

Jesus KAS. Your devotion to Fatford is insane.

And he needs more weapons? :lol great qbs make their players into weapons. It is not the other way around. Every 4 years Ben magically gets a new superstar receiver who usually don't do shit the minute they leave. Coincidence? No that's what real elite qbs do. They just get fat and throw into triple coverage and have their star receiver bail them out. That is what frauds and Schoobs do.

It's not a devotion it's a religion to him.

Nobody's done less with more than Matthew Stafford.

Honestly out of those four, I think Kaepernick has the most to potential to be great, but thankfully for the rest of the league he can only one see one read beyond his big ass nose. If he wasn't the dumbest motherfucker breathing, he'd be fantastic.

Wilson (like Cam) will never be a dominant downhill thrower but he does what he's asked and he does it damn well. Just hand the ball off and make the occasional clutch throw doesn't get him the elite tag but I think he'll take the ring instead.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Like I said if Stafford sucked I would call him out on it and I'd call for us to draft a new QB.

bionic- All the great QBs have had weapons to rely on. Elway had Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith. Joe Montana and Steve Young had Jerry Rice. Big Ben had Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis etc.

Not to mention all of these teams had great defenses. When Stafford had rookie Titus Young as his number two option in 2011, Stafford dropped 41 TDs, 16 INTs, 5,000 yards and led us to a playoff season only three years after the 0-16 season.

I don't understand the point the Stafford bashers are trying to make. The only response I see is ":kas" or "lulz" but I don't see anyone point out why he is a bad QB.

Calling him a bad QB would actually be factually incorrect if you know anything about football, but even calling him a middle of the road QB is not true. Stafford is a great QB, who is on the "cusp of greatness" as Steve Young said.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Honestly out of those four, I think Kaepernick has the most to potential to be great, but thankfully for the rest of the league he can only one see one read beyond his big ass nose. If he wasn't the dumbest motherfucker breathing, he'd be fantastic.

I really hope Kaep makes the transition like Steve Young did. I remember the same complaints being made about Young early on. Kaep has no Montana to learn from though. :(

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Kaep is a horrible QB. He had the luck of riding out the read option fad for one season, and having probably the best defense in the league and IMO the best head coach in the league.

When it comes to standing in the pocket, going through his reads and actually delivering the ball, Kaep is a bad QB. He'll run for a nice first down here and there, but over time that won't work. He was one easy pick away against the Packers last playoffs from getting kicked out in the first round. Some of the stupid throws/decisions he makes when I watch him play are just mind boggling.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you put Stafford on that 49er team they are a perennial Super Bowl contender.

rando14

I really hope Kaep makes the transition like Steve Young did. I remember the same complaints being made about Young early on. Kaep has no Montana to learn from though. :(

Coulda learned from future HoF'er Alex Smith but Harbs shipped him off to football Siberia!! :(

bionic77

Like I said if Stafford sucked I would call him out on it and I'd call for us to draft a new QB.

bionic- All the great QBs have had weapons to rely on. Elway had Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith. Joe Montana and Steve Young had Jerry Rice. Big Ben had Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis etc.

Not to mention all of these teams had great defenses. When Stafford had rookie Titus Young as his number two option in 2011, Stafford dropped 41 TDs, 16 INTs, 5,000 yards and led us to a playoff season only three years after the 0-16 season.

I don't understand the point the Stafford bashers are trying to make. The only response I see is ":kas" or "lulz" but I don't see anyone point out why he is a bad QB.

Calling him a bad QB would actually be factually incorrect if you know anything about football, but even calling him a middle of the road QB is not true. Stafford is a great QB, who is on the "cusp of greatness" as Steve Young said.
I have seen plenty of Stafford games and he looks like shit when he can't force the ball to Megatron.

Granted I have not seem all of his games going back to fat camp or his nudes like you have but I have seen enough. He is just a talented guy with no discipline. In other words a loser.

Stop making excuses for him. Let him defend himself with his play on the field.

I'm going to semi defend kas...

To be fair, Stafford had his best season when he had a host of weapons (2011). He's clearly not a Brady or Manning who could even elevate cajunator to Pro Bowl status - he is only functional when he has multiple established weapons. In 2011 Stafford had an explosive backfield (Jahvid Best, RIP), a down field WR threat (Titus Young), an effective slot receiver (Nate Burleson), and Megatron. He threw 40+ TDs and 5k+ yards.

I think Stafford's regression is about more than him lacking "weapons" - he doesn't make good decisions and panics when pressured - but ON PAPER you would kind of expect him to have a big year this season. If he can't throw 40 TDs/5k yards with Megatron, Tate, Bush, Bell, Ebron, Fauria, etc...yeah, get him out of here.

Spinluck

They didn't try. It was embarrassing.

Who the hell does that in the world cup or any national competition?

Feel bad for Brazil. None of those players should still be on the team by the end of tonight. That's not a overreaction either. The lack of effort was disgusting.

I know a lot people that were pulling for Brazil, it's a shame that the team played like they didn't give a shit.

After watching this, it makes me sadder for Colombia. Sucks that they couldn't muster up a good enough game last week. Doubt they would've went down like this.

Doomsayer

I LOVE these arguments.

Wilson has potential to be a tier one QB, if the Seahawks ever "unleash" him. He isn't asked to do a whole lot, but when he is asked to make a big play - he more often then not does. Can't fault the dude on that. I don't know if he can be as good as Peyton or Brady in their primes but he can very well be a Big Ben type player (minus about 7 inches).

Cam and Kaep are kind of similar. They make some great throws and some great reads about 40% of the time (made up stats are fun) but other times they just make you shake your head with some boneheaded decisions. Cam didn't put up great numbers last year, but it was the most mature I've ever seen him play. Let's hope he can continue because he is fun to watch when he's on.

Kaep progressed mightily through the last half of the season. He was going through progressions and being smart with the ball. Threw the last 9 games he threw 13 TD's and 4 interceptions while running for 2 more... though his completion percentage was pretty sub-par at around 59%. This is a make or break year for him - he as all the weapons he needs and one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. This year will be very telling.

Stafford has some moments of brilliance as well, but he is fundamentally terrible and puts his receivers in bad spots a lot. That side arm release is a reason why the Lions led the league in drops - especially when balls are thrown at the feet of receivers and they try to make a circus catch. You can't fault receivers for that. Calvin Johnson is a freak of nature and he makes Stafford look a lot better than he is. Stafford is a middling QB with potential to break through. I just don't think he is as dedicated to his craft as some would believe.

Top Bottom