• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Old and almost busted kicked the shit out of Talib when we played.

Edelman is ok, but he has one good year under his belt. Every year before that he was imitating Amendola.

Well the thing is that the dropoff for a receiver at about 35 is pretty drastic. I think long term based on age, Edelman has more upside.

That said, he is a Patriots receiver and I don't trust any of those outside of the system. Really the only correct answer to both options is "neither".

Bowser

Colts agreed w/WR Hakeem Nicks on 1 yr deal. Heard were offering $3M, with chance for $1.5M in incentives. We'll see if that got it done

Lol omg. We couldn't even top that?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Colts agreed w/WR Hakeem Nicks on 1 yr deal. Heard were offering $3M, with chance for $1.5M in incentives. We'll see if that got it done

That's just damning evidence of the league's opinion of Nicks. I tend to trust the Giants fans on this board about their own players and they (Futurevoid especially) didn't sound too high on him. Looks like 30 other teams (minus the Raiders because no one wants to play there) more or less agreed.

edit: James Jones going to take the veteran minimum from TT at this rate.

FMT called it with the raiders signing Brown

BiuT8GqCAAAC3gx.jpg

indeed i did. that is actually a great signing for them. he has arguably been our best CB the past 3 years after i had called him Terrible Brown for sometime. a real shame that his agent got him fucked out of $2 mil but i hope he got paid by oakland. good luck to him

Fox318

If the Jets sign DRC for a good price my feelings towards the Jets off season will be much better.

Still need to see the Breuno contract.

I actually wouldn't mind James Jones coming to the Giants for the right price. Veteran presence alongside Cruz, Randle and Jernigan and a good player.

Indy plays the Giants this season, too. You can already hear the narrative.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Brandon Browner never intended to visit the #Redskins. The interest from #Raiders & #Saints wasn’t real. It was the #Patriots the whole time
Expand

The Giants don't want any thing to do with him, Gettleman who has many connections within the Giants org must know the reason why the Giants let him walk..

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I actually wouldn't mind James Jones coming to the Giants for the right price. Veteran presence alongside Cruz, Randle and Jernigan and a good player.

Indy plays the Giants this season, too. You can already hear the narrative.

The "right price" is probably a lot less than Jones is expecting either way.

He was already making $3 million per year and I have a feeling that we're not exactly offering more money for a 30 year old receiver.

And I can't believe DRC turned down $9 million/year. He'll probably do something stupid like take a $11 million one year contract in a "prove it" deal instead.

I'm trying to be patient and see Gettleman's plan, but right now the plan seems to be 2-14 again.

Wonder what would happen if Cam decides he wants out after next season...

I think the plan is to get some level of cap relief for better or worse. That may mean eating a year or two. Cam is due for a contract next season isn't he?

I mean your top 5 players would destroy you in dead money if you cut them in the next year or two. Stewarts contract in particular is amazingly bad. My god!

The "right price" is probably a lot less than Jones is expecting either way.
Yeah, don't disagree. Giants aren't going to offer him a big money contract but I would be good if we signed him for 3 million.

I think the plan is to get some level of cap relief for better or worse. That may mean eating a year or two. Cam is due for a contract next season isn't he?

I mean your top 5 players would destroy you in dead money if you cut them in the next year or two. Stewarts contract in particular is amazingly bad. My god!.

hurneyweb23s-1-web.jpg

jbug617

Banned
PFT sounds salty right now.

@ProFootballTalk: Brandon Browner agreeing to 3-year deal with the Patriots on Friday does not mean he agreed to 2-year deal with the Patriots on Thursday.

Antonio Smith signs a 2yr deal with Oakland

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

What makes it great is that there was so much publicity out there during the lockout that Jerry Richardson is a cheapskate owner who doesn't pay his players. So he immediately took out these Al Davis style contracts to prove otherwise the moment he could. So I'm not sure if it's that guy's fault or what.

Looking at the numbers, even if you cut Stewart in 2015, you wouldn't save a penny and actually OWE 5.3 million towards the cap PLUS 13.6 million in dead money. Even with a post June-1st designation you aren't getting back much.

Stewart is laughing all the way to the bank with that deal. He's not remotely cuttable until 2016 and even then you're still dealing over 7 million in dead money you'd have to spread around if you went post-June 1st.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Shame Us for Jameis

:jnc

I'm happy with the Pettigrew signing. We all know he's a great run blocking tight end, but I do think he improved his pass catching abilities last season. He still needs to improve but for all the doom and gloom talk about the Lions cap situation we signed Golden Tate and resigned Brandon Pettigrew.

Once again Martin Mayhew working magic. So with Pettigrew and Joe Fauria locked up, tight end won't be a need for us in the draft. We're set with most positions. Just need to get one more wide receiver and the rest of this stacked draft we can focus on secondary, one more linebacker, and IMO one more running back.

This is how you build a team. Put your cap money in a stud Quarterback, the best WR in the game and the best defensive lineman in the league. Then fill the gaps with young players through the draft. We'll probably cut ties with Nick Fairley when his rookie contract is up but we'll replace him in an upcoming draft.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is how you build a team. Put your cap money in a stud Quarterback, the best WR in the game and the best defensive lineman in the league. Then fill the gaps with young players through the draft. We'll probably cut ties with Nick Fairley when his rookie contract is up but we'll replace him in an upcoming draft.

Should be easy to do as often as you draft in the top 10.

I admire your optimism but it's my obligation to take a dump on every :kas post

LJ11

Great signing for the Colts, lots of upside, almost no down.

Niners will draft Kyle Fuller, just know its going to happen.

Patriots7

Papa Belichick is being so rewarding this year!
Now just a TE or a WR and I'll be the happiest Patriots fan in the world.
Where's that gif Gata was posting? That's how I'm feeling right about now.

Interesting article on which team most keep their players. Steelers top the list. Raiders, Redskins, and the Giants (!) are at the bottom.

Steelers are also the biggest supplier of talent to other teams relative to the players they take from other teams, followed by the Panthers and Dolphins. Data is taken from the 2013 season.

League also doesn't want shit to do with Pats system players. Who knew?
You're surprised? We draft, get our four years out of them, draft their replacement in year 3 and move on so we don't have to pay big money. Outside of the big ticket guys they identify like Cruz, etc. Just about the entire 2007/2008 draft class is gone. Will Beatty is the last man standing from '09. Andre Brown as well but he's an UFA.

Been like that for the last 10 years or so.

Syrinx

Interesting article on which team most keep their players. Steelers top the list. Raiders, Redskins, and the Giants (!) are at the bottom.

Steelers are also the biggest supplier of talent to other teams relative to the players they take from other teams, followed by the Panthers and Dolphins. Data is taken from the 2013 season.

League also doesn't want shit to do with Pats system players. Who knew?

Kinda surprised the Packers aren't even higher. Weren't all but like five of their players last year lifetime Packers? Though I suppose a lot of them could have been young players.

Spinluck

Will Luck be able to get him the ball on time with that OL and joke of a run game?

We cut Satele and Link. That's already an upgrade!

That's just damning evidence of the league's opinion of Nicks. I tend to trust the Giants fans on this board about their own players and they (Futurevoid especially) didn't sound too high on him. Looks like 30 other teams (minus the Raiders because no one wants to play there) more or less agreed.

I'm just glad it's a reasonable 1yr deal. Let's see if he tried to earn a bigger payday next year. He better show up to practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom